Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Hats off to Hamilton today, that was some drive, also unreal by vettel

• Registered Users Posts: 20,038 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ikozma wrote: »
    Hats off to Hamilton today, that was some drive

Yeah it was solid to be fair.

I worry the BBC crew will need a round of STI tests after spending the afternoon felating Hamilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

He's unbelievable. I never thought I'd see a better driver than Senna, the comes along Schuy but now I think we are probably watching the best of the all. Really hopes he wins the 8th next year to cement it..

DellyBelly wrote: »
    He's unbelievable. I never thought I'd see a better driver than Senna, the comes along Schuy but now I think we are probably watching the best of the all. Really hopes he wins the 8th next year to cement it..

I admire Hamilton a hell of a lot but for some reason maybe nostalgia reasons, I hope he doesnt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭lolie

Would've been good to see rain a few laps from the end for a bit more excitement.
    Whatever about Hamilton been dominant or lucky his tyre management compared to most other drivers is incredible

As for Bottas, it must kill other drivers to see a driver like Bottas perform so poorly but yet keep getting signed up by Mercedes.
    This pretty much sums him up

• Advertisement

Surely a shorter car would be better for aero dynamics as the air has less to go over/under/around, I'd say a longer car would help with downforce though, then again I know feck all about these things, lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Surely a shorter car would be better for aero dynamics as the air has less to go over/under/around, I'd say a longer car would help with downforce though, then again I know feck all about these things, lol!!

Probably the latter, I guess a longer car would have more surface area along the top for the air to push down on.

Probably the latter, I guess a longer car would have more surface area along the top for the air to push down on.

Plus the wheelbase is suited to the types of corners they have to tackle. If all the tracks were like Monaco with slow, tight turns, then the wheelbases would get shorter. If they were all long, fast, sweeping turns then the wheelbases would get longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Although Hamilton drove a good race, his win was partly through luck.
    As for Vettel. Absolutley delighted he has had the opportunity to prove to his haters that he not in fact forgotten how to race.:cool:

DellyBelly wrote: »

Fingers crossed that wont happen.
    I think next year will be a different ball game for him.
    After this weekend the Racing point has proven it is a worthy car, Just has the wrong drivers.
    Next year with a proven winner driving it we should see a return the front with Vettel in one of them.
    I admire Hamilton a hell of a lot but for some reason maybe nostalgia reasons, I hope he doesnt

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

vectra wrote: »
    Although Hamilton drove a good race, his win was partly through luck.

What luck did he have today!?

• Advertisement

What luck did he have today!?

lucky the rain held off as his tyres would have destroyed his race if it poured down in the last lap or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

lucky the rain held off as his tyres would have destroyed his race if it poured down in the last lap or two.

Tyres were a little worse than his competition but he had time in hand to swap for new tyres if he needed to

Harika wrote: »
    Tyres were a little worse than his competition but he had time in hand to swap for new tyres if he needed to

He finished 31.5 seconds ahead of Perez in second. So he could surely have pitted if he needed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Or the opposite, more floor to create a vaccum under.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

7th time world champion :) Still I Rise :)

Autosport wrote: »
    7th time world champion :) Still I Rise :)

Overcoming the adversity of having the best car and a manageable teammate. Love conquers all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I’m not as big a fan of F1 as I used to be but I still try to watch races if I have the free time. Some (few unfortunately) races can be exciting to watch like today but others can be as boring watching paint dry.

I can find it very hard to like Lewis sometimes (I can find him moody and rude) but other times he seems like a really good guy that’s absolutely inspirational. The big question though... is he the greatest of all time? In my opinion he is definitely right up there. Drives like today have to prove that. I would though love to see someone like Max or Dani Ric in the second Merc but that understandable will probably never happen.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

To think checo may not get a drive next year is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I think Perez could have had a seat at Williams, Haas or Alfa if he really wanted but he didn't want to end his F1 career at the back of the grid and he is holding out for that Red Bull seat. If he doesn't get the Red Bull seat then their could be better opportunities in 2022. There could be one or two seats at Mercedes or maybe a seat at Renault.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Wouldn't it be gas of Merc signed Checo up for next year to replace Lewis who is out of contract.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be gas of Merc signed Checo up for next year to replace Lewis who is out of contract.

Big Toto was hugging Checo and Lewis on the podium like they were his crew, Vettel was very left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Getting that car with those tyres on it to the end had nothing to do with luck.

Rain is always the great leveller and we see the cream rise to the top in terms of driving ability. Seb turned the clock back a few years today, his best drive in a long time, Perez was fantastic and Stroll showed that he doesnt belong in an F1 car, that car is clearly capable and whole stroll can be quick hes just too inconsistent.

Meant to say a few days ago that I think Perez's problem is that he's a bit of a dick and he's not top-level enough for that to be a positive. Watching random highlights here and there and he wouldn't let a team mate past in Canada to attack someone else but would have gotten the place back. There's been a few other ones as well. And just now saw Spa 2017 where he twice basically put Ocon in the wall on the run to Eau Rouge. Everyone lost their **** like a murder had been committed when Scuhmacher left Barrichello more space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Man the rubbish towards Lewis in these comments must be from 13 year old haters. He proved today it's more than "just the car" so cop on. I'm not even a fan of his but he does a lot for the sport and people.

Harika wrote: »

Are you serious?
    Do you know how old Lewis's tyres were compared to those behind him?

Rain is always the great leveller and we see the cream rise to the top in terms of driving ability. Seb turned the clock back a few years today, his best drive in a long time, Perez was fantastic and Stroll showed that he doesnt belong in an F1 car, that car is clearly capable and whole stroll can be quick hes just too inconsistent.

Literally not true as those tyres turn into slicks when they wear down below the threaded stuff.
    So yes, a shower of rain would nailed him.
    Still though. He won and that's what matters.

Was delighted the way Seb drove today.
    I would have loved to see where he would be had he been driving Lance's car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Meant to say a few days ago that I think Perez's problem is that he's a bit of a dick and he's not top-level enough for that to be a positive. Watching random highlights here and there and he wouldn't let a team mate past in Canada to attack someone else but would have gotten the place back. There's been a few other ones as well. And just now saw Spa 2017 where he twice basically put Ocon in the wall on the run to Eau Rouge. Everyone lost their **** like a murder had been committed when Scuhmacher left Barrichello more space.

Didn't he deliberately ram into Sirotkin too or was that another driver? Hulk could be a better number 2 for RBR.

GarIT wrote: »
    Didn't he deliberately ram into Sirotkin too or was that another driver? Hulk could be a better number 2 for RBR.

The myth of Hulkenberg again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,298 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

GarIT wrote: »

In Singapore he couldn't get past Sirotkin so he drove into him which damaged his car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Are you serious?
    Do you know how old Lewis's tyres were compared to those behind him?

Literally not true as those tyres turn into slicks when they wear down below the threaded stuff.
    So yes, a shower of rain would nailed him.
    Still though. He won and that's what matters.

Was delighted the way Seb drove today.
    I would have loved to see where he would be had he been driving Lance's car.

Literally true.

When they wear beyond the thread they become near impossible to keep temp in. He one stopped, the others had to stop again because they were sliding around the place. And rain at the end would have ruined his race but he made to decision not to stop again and judged ot by looking at the clouds. Thats not luck

• Advertisement

How can you make the argument that the rain is a great leveller based on this weekend’s results? Is Stroll the best driver over one lap? Are both Alfas in the top 10 fastest?

Out of the race finishers, is it just coincidence that the majority of teammates finished next to each other or do you think it’s the car? 14 teammates finished and 8of them finished next to each other.

At the front was a Mercedes and at the back were Russell and Kimi in the worst cars.

Stroll was doing great until the last set of tyres which he couldn’t heat up. Was he cream in the first half and not cream in the second half? Max had a poor race. Is he not amongst the cream of the crop?

I think it’s much easier to just say the rain is a leveller than to form an argument based on this weekend’s quali and race. The cars were the most influential factor again and tgh best car seemed to change as the race progressed and the track dried. On the wetter track the RPs looked the best. On the dryer track their advantage was diminished.

It was an extraordinary set of conditions which none of the cars were specifically build to deal with. There was some randomness around which car was most suited to conditions as the conditions changed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement