Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

BBC wondering aloud if there’s any real reason to think RB will not resign Albon? They have never gone outside the RB family for a a driver. And all the talk about hiring Perez is coming from Perez and the media, not from RB. Marko said only once once that they might consider a driver from outside the RB family but that’s all there’s been from RB. The rest is all speculation fuelled by Perez.

Maybe RB don’t think Perez would me much closer to Max than Albon is. They’re really likely to be second in the championship next year regardless of who is in the second seat. And taking an external driver is an acknowledgment of failure of the driver programme.

I think we’d all like to see Perez in a RB but it might not happen.

Think it was this thread I pointed out that Perez has a history of being a dick, especially including with teammates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I hope this season is a bit of a wake up call for F1. We have been very lucky not to lose a driver or marshalls this season. There have been 4 near misses in the last few weeks. The barriers will need to be looked at again and cars should not be released to full speed when marshalls or recovery trucks are on track.

Its amazing to think that Kubica nearly lost his life in a rally car hitting a metal barrier very similar in design and structure to one's they have around some F1 tracks. They have no excuse to be using those kind or barriers at a fixed racing track.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Infoanon

And a Marshall running across a live track - complacency naturally sets in after a while.

Listening to Ross Brawn makes me think that action will be taken to address the barriers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,850 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Ikozma wrote: »
    Very lucky man, but the way he cut in was crazy in itself

I'm still convinced that debris that Karun pointed out that went under his right tyre was a factor. He turned very sharply even for a cut in

• Registered Users Posts: 15,757 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have no idea what happened on the race as am waiting for the Highlights except for this because of Sky News but bloody hell he is a very lucky man to still be alive. I would say without the Halo on the car it might have been worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Lucky boy. Great to see him okay(ish)
    https://twitter.com/F1/status/1333141226946768898

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I'm still convinced that debris that Karun pointed out that went under his right tyre was a factor. He turned very sharply even for a cut in

Yea, I only saw that after and I think you could be right, he did turn very suddenly, either he got a puncture or he was trying to avoid the debris

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭This is it

Announcement from Perez tomorrow evening 20:30 Bahrain time apparently, don't see anything official though, could be BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭quokula

As far as I remember most of the total fund will be evenly distributed and the rest will be on a sliding scale. I just think they could achieve the same thing while making each individual race worth more. Each race is just the same right now

This has been pestering my feed for a while and it's a bit of fun. I remember the build-up with Simon Taylor and Tony Jardine messing with the baseball caps.
    The actual chemistry between Murray and Brundle is brilliant. Murray has none of Crofty's self-aware cynicism (that he doesn't realise he has) or bro-ness while Brundle is happy to speak his mind, even if you could argue his dislike of Schumacher is a bit too obvious. :pac:

EDIT: Hindsight is a wonderful thing. :pac: Can't help but think now that had Schumacher kept left then Villeneuve would have run on straight. Was there ever a suggestion for Schumacher's awful pace after the last stop? I'm sure I remember hearing/reading something about tyres but can't find much.

It was just a bad set - wasn't uncommon in those days, the manufacturing standards of the tyres weren't as exact as they are now so it wasn't unusual to see drivers have the odd bad stint and put it down to a defective set of tyres.

A bit more uncommon that such a defective set would effectively turn the WDC on it's head, but between the crash and the anti-Schumacher sentiment in the UK media, that never really got talked about afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Hijpo

h3000 wrote: »
    Just go away if you’ve nothing constructive to say. You know well that’s the last thing fans want to see.

They are at the same craic in the football forums.
    Just posting for the wind up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Hijpo

This is it wrote: »
    Announcement from Perez tomorrow evening 20:30 Bahrain time apparently, don't see anything official though, could be BS.

Croft mentioned it before the race. Think it's more for the Mexican fans rather than anything of importance in the F1 world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

This is it wrote: »
    Hijpo wrote: »
    Croft mentioned it before the race. Think it's more for the Mexican fans rather than anything of importance in the F1 world.

As above, Croft mentioned this in FP2 or FP3 also - said he won't be announcing a team or if/where he'll be driving next year and it was just a press conference for the Mexican fans, but then Croft also said he was invited so who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 20,108 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ikozma wrote: »
    Yea, I only saw that after and I think you could be right, he did turn very suddenly, either he got a puncture or he was trying to avoid the debris

Or he was just going for the clearer side of the track. There was a glut of cars together in front of him on the left so he honked right to the clear side and hit Kvyat.

His own fault, in my opinion. Glad he’s ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

So with the F2 standings as below , and Really only one seat left to decided for Next season . That been Tsunoda to Alpha Tauri .
    its tight for Tsunoda to finish third for his super license ( I think that's what he needs) .

If he fails to finish Third is this what Redbull actually want . They can push Albon down to Alpha Tauri , Bring Perez in and Dump Kvyat for a third time . Therefore Keeping the Thai shareholders happy, Keep Honda happy cause its not their fault the Japanese driver didn't get his license , and getting potential a better number 2 driver but also a more dangerous number 2 driver .

Driver Points
    M. Schumacher 205
    C. Ilott 191
    N. Mazepin 162
    R. Shwartzman 159
    Y. Tsunoda 157

All this either way is a bit crap on Alpha Tauri who to their credit have produced a competitive car .They have had points finishes in all but 2 races , and since SPA I think they have been challenging Renault , Mclaren etc on pace. With Gasly as the number one Driver and Dani K as two it has worked quiet well for them. Any race that Gasly hasn't performed or gone out for what ever reason. Dani K as stepped up and got the points to keep them ticking over. Given the cars aren't going to change too much over all next year . It would probably be better to leave Alpha Tauri as it is and let them Challenge for better in the constructors = more money for going into New cars in 2022. Changing drivers then would make a little more sense to me .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Assuming Haas can get a car together before Friday who will get the seat? Although I'd say the chances of them running 2 cars are slim, the turnaround could be too tight to have one built, plus I cant imagine the emotions the team are going through now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Assuming Haas can get a car together before Friday who will get the seat? Although I'd say the chances of them running 2 cars are slim, the turnaround could be too tight to have one built, plus I cant imagine the emotions the team are going through now

Pietro Fittipaldi and Louis Deletraz as its official test and reserve drivers

so one of them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Gunther confirmed they have the parts with them. Don't think it will be a lack of time that will stop them running 2 cars

• Registered Users Posts: 23,375 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Fittipaldi I dont think has a license. Deletraz afaik does but I'd assume Mazepin would be most likely anyway given he is expected to race for them next year (Mick would be busy trying to secure the F2 title so wont want to miss a F2 race).

Otherwise looking at Ferrari it'd be Wehrlein they would turn to.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,735 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Joeface wrote: »
    Pietro Fittipaldi and Louis Deletraz as its official test and reserve drivers

so one of them ?
    hulkenberg!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Kubica, maybe? He was in Bahrain testing with Alfa Romeo, wasn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

red bull put albons car back together after qualifying and ready for the race so i would guess that hass could put a new car together in a week. surely they have most of the parts there anyway incase something goes wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 23,375 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Confirmed that its Pietro Fittipaldi that will race the Sakhir round.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

ELM327 wrote: »
    hulkenberg!

I can't see Hulkenberg going to Haas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The last time we had a Fittipaldi on the grid was Christian Fittipaldi in 1994.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I don't know much of the driver. How has he managed to get a super license through the years does anyone know?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

84u9l5a6fc261.jpg

Scary to think people still object to the Halo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭Harika

astrofluff wrote: »
    I don't know much of the driver. How has he managed to get a super license through the years does anyone know?

Squirreled away but I think he got it as he participated in two practices for them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭quokula

duploelabs wrote: »
    84u9l5a6fc261.jpg

I was amazed at the time how many people were vocally opposed to it, including the likes of Martin Brundle who really should know better. That debate has been pretty conclusively put to bed at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,108 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

duploelabs wrote: »
    84u9l5a6fc261.jpg

There was strong opposition to it in these threads. I wonder if those posters are still opposed to it or even if they remember being opposed to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement