Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clonmel Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭WayneScott

Xenophile wrote: »
    Would agree, a Garda should be placed on duty at the junction of Dr.Croke place and the the Old Waterford Rd. and if there are pupils in the car they should ask the parents would they mind if the children walked the rest of the way to school. Traffic can then go via Parnell St. to the town centre and anywhere from there!
    Gardai have more to be doing than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭PatM65

All but the Dry Bridge is open now. Convent Road is open though there's still some flood water there. Borough Council still keeping a close eye on The Quay. Levels in the river have fallen overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

I have to go to Killenaule later from Clonmel, is there any bad flooding on the roads? thx

AK333 wrote: »
    I have to go to Killenaule later from Clonmel, is there any bad flooding on the roads? thx
    There's no bad flooding, but there is a lot of water running doen the sides of the roads, so just take care and be aware that cars coming towards you may be keeping a bit further out than normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Thanks for the replies, somehow I wasn't notified and didn't get to see them before I headed off, I chanced it thinking the signs would be up for diversions as the case may be.

Got to the Davis Rd area without a bother, great to see the M&S shopping centre and Dunnes nicely busy despite the road conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

There's no bad flooding, but there is a lot of water running doen the sides of the roads, so just take care and be aware that cars coming towards you may be keeping a bit further out than normal.

Good point Maryanne84....Also the water on the roadside may be hiding a deep pothole..I was driving last night,people were not driving to suit the conditions.I had a car right on my tail.Dont let an idiot behind, make you drive faster than is safe.

Had that too.
    On way back towards Ballymac, when you know well that there are one or two water/flood spots on the straight line to the Hidden Inn ... I didn't overtake knowing full well I would have to tackle the flood spot while overtaking, but it didn't quite suit the person behind me.

If you don't know the road but are obviously aware of the flood conditions, the least you can do is exercise caution, for the sake of a few minutes.

Thanks for the replies, somehow I wasn't notified and didn't get to see them before I headed off, I chanced it thinking the signs would be up for diversions as the case may be.

Got to the Davis Rd area without a bother, great to see the M&S shopping centre and Dunnes nicely busy despite the road conditions.
    One of the best paces in that town- free parking. Also Tesco and Poppyfields

Love Poppyfields. Would love a book centre/Eason's type of shop there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Ladybrandy

PatM65 wrote: »
    All but the Dry Bridge is open now. Convent Road is open though there's still some flood water there. Borough Council still keeping a close eye on The Quay. Levels in the river have fallen overnight.
    #
    is the knockloffty bridge open
    it was closed on Thursday people atteding knockloffty rural day service couldn't attend and had to stay in rehabcare for the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Knicklofty bridge reopened Fri morning

• Registered Users Posts: 32 barbie1

Where is the Dry Bridge? I've never heard of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Is anyone else having problems with the meteor network today in clonmel? I haven't had any signal all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

I have no meteor or O2 coverage or saorview. Electricity ok though.

Drove back from Dublin this evening, got off the motorway at Bennetsbridge. Loads of trees down and lots of wind damage to be seen. Worst storm in this area for some years I would think.

Wellyd wrote: »
    Is anyone else having problems with the meteor network today in clonmel? I haven't had any signal all day.

Our Meteor's been gone all evening too. Worst storm I can remember. Hope people are heeding warnings and staying put.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

barbie1 wrote: »
    Where is the Dry Bridge? I've never heard of it

waterwaysforward.wordpress.com/2012/11/25/dry-bridge-clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 22 foyle

Is Sky TV gone for anyone else ??? Ours is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭writer_lady170

Wellyd wrote: »

yep same here:( kinda annoying. phone signal ( i'm with tesco mobile) has been coming and going as well as the power. Seems to be ok for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Just got electricity back - gone since 2pm. I know the ESB workers are well paid but rather them than me out there today/tonight. I'm very grateful anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

No Electricity
    No vodafone
    No broadband
    No Heating
    No Water.

until 10.30 tonight,twas like the old days:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

tippspur wrote: »
    No Electricity
    No vodafone
    No broadband
    No Heating
    No Water.

God you really had it bad! And here was me complaining about having no phone signal! Here's hoping there won't be a busy maternity ward around November 12th!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

tippspur wrote: »
    No Electricity
    No vodafone
    No broadband
    No Heating
    No Water.

Same as except for the water. Electricity came back around midnight. Kids and I spent the evening huddled under duvets playing cards by candlelight! Went to bed at ten because it was too cold to stay up. Woke up this morning to a sprinkling of snow. The weather is mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

i see Summerhill House is on fire, looks bad going by all the fire tenders that are up there.

Summerhill house?

up past the Glenconnor garden center, big stately house,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

It was only a shed off to the side of the house

snipey wrote: »
    up past the Glenconnor garden center, big stately house,
    thanks

that's good, i was over close to it a couple of minutes ago and everything looks under control

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Anyone know of some land near the town,bypass area,, where one could wander with two JRT?
    Not for hunting just to let them roam about a field or two. Or even know of someone who would give permission to me to use there land here n there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

dahat wrote: »
    Anyone know of some land near the town,bypass area,, where one could wander with two JRT?
    Not for hunting just to let them roam about a field or two. Or even know of someone who would give permission to me to use there land here n there.

The old Fethard railway line through the wilderness, not a field but plenty of space to rummage around and have fun.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Never been up there, must have a look. Been using the front of the racecourse but it is quite popular and larger dogs off leash I don't really trust.

i wouldn't agree going over to the old railway line because you will meet more than dogs you wouldn't trust, i'd suggest bringing your dogs up to the new TRBDI site at the top of the bypass,

Enter on the roundabout or the entrance on the Cahir Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

i wouldn't agree going over to the old railway line because you will meet more than dogs you wouldn't trust, i'd suggest bringing your dogs up to the new TRBDI site at the top of the bypass,

Agree, it's too dodgy down there!

Never been up there, must have a look. Been using the front of the racecourse but it is quite popular and larger dogs off leash I don't really trust.

Venture up there, middle of the day the best time, lots of people go to feed ducks at the entrance. Nothing to fear in the middle of the day or early morning, it's a pity that so many people are so fearful of a perfectly safe and magical place that's an absolute paradise. By the way the Wilderness gets it's name from this very place.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Forgot to say go there and see for yourself and do not be intimidated by the views of fearful people. I have never heard of any unsavoury incident there and I live and work quite near the place. Would welcome your feedback!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Definitely go there, I often walk my dog up there and its a great spot as was mentioned.

I also used to work near there and on my lunch id take a walk up to look at the ducks to get some fresh air! very calming after a load of stress:p

even during the day scangers drinking on the old platform,scangers on scamblers and so on,beautiful walk from the Cahir road side,just mind the electric fences

even during the day scangers drinking on the old platform,scangers on scamblers and so on,beautiful walk from the Cahir road side,just mind the electric fences

I regret that this post is pure scaremongering and if it is not contradicted it will put this wonderful area out of bounds for citizens of Clonmel who have enjoyed this wonderful amenity for generations.

• Advertisement

I regret that this post is pure scaremongering and if it is not contradicted it will put this wonderful area out of bounds for citizens of Clonmel who have enjoyed this wonderful amenity for generations.

Xenophile, I was one of the many people who enjoyed this area(the Wildies !!) for about 20years .I lived locally and I would say that I was out there 2 days out of every week as a youngster and even more frequently when I started training dogs in my 20's.
    A beautiful spot.
    However, what Snipey says above is completely true. I drove in to the lake/pond on Sunday with the intention of walking the dogs and was met with 2 guys on scramblers(one was about 10 years of age) and the amount of glass and general detritus that was in the area was appalling.
    You may not agree with Snipey or me, but that does not mean what we say is untrue.

Vizzy wrote: »
    Xenophile, I was one of the many people who enjoyed this area(the Wildies !!) for about 20years .I lived locally and I would say that I was out there 2 days out of every week as a youngster and even more frequently when I started training dogs in my 20's.
    A beautiful spot.
    However, what Snipey says above is completely true. I drove in to the lake/pond on Sunday with the intention of walking the dogs and was met with 2 guys on scramblers(one was about 10 years of age) and the amount of glass and general detritus that was in the area was appalling.
    You may not agree with Snipey or me, but that does not mean what we say is untrue.

If you feel that way about it, and I don't, I propose you start a campaign with your local politicians to "Take Back The Wilderness"

A beautiful spot.
    where is the pond. you go out fethard road turn right pass by shop/chipper...then

Do you pass through the housing estate?

WayneScott wrote: »
    where is the pond.

Coming from Tesco turn left at the next round about , this is the Carrigeen Roundabout ..................drive straight up for a few hundred meters and you will see it on your right almost opposite the new County Council Recycling Centre and offices.

Interesting to note that is a fresh water pond fed by springs, this fresh water stream is now underground and passes through Silversprings on it's way to the Suir. The older generation would have known and played and caught brickeens in it, it was known as "The Frenchman's Stream"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭cml387

I have seen many people let their dogs run leadless in the fields around the sandy banks in Marlfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

The older generation would have known and played and caught brickeens in it, it was known as "The Frenchman's Stream"

I resent this statement ! ( Even though it is correct. )

• Advertisement

Xeenophile are the cans and bottles thrown around the old platform and at the bottom of the giants rock not a dead give away, it's a haven for gammy shams.

If you feel that way about it, and I don't, I propose you start a campaign with your local politicians to "Take Back The Wilderness"

You are a great man for the campaigns Xenophile !
    Why would I want the politicians to claim it back, from reading your description of it there is nothing to fear in the early morning or up to lunchtime.
    Unfortunately though, the facts don't bear it out.
    Have you noticed that the wildlife has diminished significantly over the last few years, particularly around the pond ?
    Have you seen otters there recently ?Kingfishers ?
    The Great Crested Tit has all but disappeared in the area as well. It used to be full of them back a few years ago.

dahat,I won't condemn the place out of hand so my advice to you is to take a walk up there without the dog(s) and see what you think and you can make up your own mind from there.

the badgers are gone too, because our friends with the horses are badger bating up in the wood behind powerstown, there are a few grey squirrels there.

You are a great man for the campaigns Xenophile !
    Why would I want the politicians to claim it back, from reading your description of it there is nothing to fear in the early morning or up to lunchtime.
    Unfortunately though, the facts don't bear it out.
    Have you noticed that the wildlife has diminished significantly over the last few years, particularly around the pond ?
    Have you seen otters there recently ?Kingfishers ?
    The Great Crested Tit has all but disappeared in the area as well. It used to be full of them back a few years ago.

dahat,I won't condemn the place out of hand so my advice to you is to take a walk up there without the dog(s) and see what you think and you can make up your own mind from there.
    so long as someone else starts them. Xenophile gives the impression of someone who likes to make some social or political changes but does not want to upset the powers that be. so he tries to get others to raise the issues and do the work.

Venture up there, middle of the day the best time, lots of people go to feed ducks at the entrance. Nothing to fear in the middle of the day or early morning, it's a pity that so many people are so fearful of a perfectly safe and magical place that's an absolute paradise. By the way the Wilderness gets it's name from this very place.

Went up around there today with my daughter, bad judgment left us in runners rather than wellies but we went on as far as we could be fore it got too mucky.
    Didn't get too far in tbh but found a field which looks like it is being used for horses maybe, massive area and looks good for my dogs to wander about once there is no horses there.

The path went on a bit but it was messy so tomorrow i will wander there again with dogs and wellies...

There is quite abit of litter in parts,empty cans and the like but that wouldn't bother me too much it just looks bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement