Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Great bar. Don't get in there often enough though. I remember years ago meeting a girl there on a date and she said she was down in "Gus's Bar" I must of searched the town looking for it until I met a mate of mine who told me that it was down the back of Phil's. Sure enough they had a big sign on the wall saying Gus's Bar :) Its popular enough with visit celebrities too, Marylon Manson and Lisa Marie Presley among others have been known to stop in for a pint, never seen them there myself but Ive heard others talk about..

In an earlier life, over 20 years ago now, I knew Clonmel well. Back then Gerry Chawkes, Moynihans, Mulcahy's, were all busy spots. Phil Carrolls too.

I called in to those places last Saturday and they were very quiet except for Phil Carrolls.

I had made up my mind that if Carrolls was going to be quiet, I'd head up toward Irishtown to see if it was busy up there. But Carrolls was busy so I stayed put.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Its popular enough with visit celebrities too, Marylon Manson and Lisa Marie Presley among others have been known to stop in for a pint, never seen them there myself but Ive heard others talk about..

You would regularly get celebreties in there.
    Mostly musicians - Philip Donnelly is there once a week, John Prine, Mark Knoffler was there a few times.
    You are right about Marylon Manson and Lisa Marie Presley ( they stay with Gottfried Von Helwein in Gurteen castle in Kilsheelan when they visit).
    Met Clint Eastwood there once.:)

Vizzy wrote: »
    Mostly musicians - Philip Donnelly is there once a week, John Prine, Mark Knoffler was there a few times.
    You are right about Marylon Manson and Lisa Marie Presley ( they stay with Gottfried Von Helwein in Gurteen castle in Kilsheelan when they visit).

Wasn't that where Manson and Dita Von Teese got married? Didn't know he had a thing with Lisa Marie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

Wasn't that where Manson and Dita Von Teese got married? Didn't know he had a thing with Lisa Marie.

Yes.
    That was some weekend.
    Johnny Depp, Madonna .
    Legend has it they intended to have a session in Mc Carthy's in Fethard on the Sunday provided they close the pub to locals.
    Mc Carthy's refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I've met Philip and John Prine in there alright, he had 60s superstar Donovan there a few years back too. I don't think Marlyn and Lisa Marie where there the same night, she was apparently over to look at possibly buying Marlfield house. Would have loved to have met Mark Knopfler there, he's one of my favourite living guitar players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

cml387 wrote: »
    Yes.
    That was some weekend.
    Johnny Depp, Madonna .
    Legend has it they intended to have a session in Mc Carthy's in Fethard on the Sunday provided they close the pub to locals.
    Mc Carthy's refused.

That's the story I heard. Of course it doesn't make any sense to piss off the locals.

I've met Philip and John Prine in there alright, he had 60s superstar Donovan there a few years back too. I don't think Marlyn and Lisa Marie where there the same night, she was apparently over to look at possibly buying Marlfield house. Would have loved to have met Mark Knopfler there, he's one of my favourite living guitar players.

Philip is living in town so he drops in regularly for a few impromptu tunes and normally brings a few of his "buddies" with him. Townes Van Zandt was there once I believe a few years ago when he was recording an album (produced by Philip).
    Marylyn and Lisa weren't there the same night, I think, but they stay ( or stayed) with Gottfried when they are in the area.
    Gottfrieds sons ( usually Cyril ) regularly frequent as well - nicest guy you will ever meet.
    Heard a story of a young lad in Kilsheelan who was invited over to the castle to play cowboys and Indians only to be greeted by Clint Eastwood in full kit - brilliant, made the young lads year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Great thanks, must keep an eye for the finish 1/4 lap. Is it flat/incline/decline?

Already on that page but was just looking for insights!

There's a long hill up to the top of the Racecourse and you do the hill twice. Nice long downhill after the uphill though! It's very doable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

sillymoo wrote: »
    There's a long hill up to the top of the Racecourse and you do the hill twice. Nice long downhill after the uphill though! It's very doable

That hill on the second lap is absolute murder! I underestimated it and know better for the next time. Well set up event and well attended. The scenery when you level out at the top of the hill looking to the left is magic. What a county. Gorey is my "home" ParkRun but will attend Clonmel PR again.

• Advertisement

The Hospital radio is back on FM..It had only broadcast online recently because of technical problems..

Great to see the upgraded towpath from Kilsheelan being used by so many walkers, joggers and cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Great to see the upgraded towpath from Kilsheelan being used by so many walkers, joggers and cyclists.
    In big demand OK,need a bigger car park in the village i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 barbie1

Just got my bill for refuse collection. Almost double my previous one now that the pay by weight for general refuse is on it.. This has potential to be a whole lot more expensive than water charges....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

barbie1 wrote: »
    Just got my bill for refuse collection. Almost double my previous one now that the pay by weight for general refuse is on it.. This has potential to be a whole lot more expensive than water charges....

Who is your bin provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

barbie1 wrote: »

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Then shop around.

touts wrote: »
    Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Then shop around.

I am with you on recycle, but what would you put under the heading of Reduce/Reuse...And shop around is always a good idea..How many charge by weight?

I am with you on recycle, but what would you put under the heading of Reduce/Reuse...And shop around is always a good idea..How many charge by weight?

Lots of sites have advice. Google it and you will find ways to save waste and therefore save money.

touts wrote: »
    Lots of sites have advice. Google it and you will find ways to save waste and therefore save money.

I would usually Google,but with the answer you gave,I thought you would have advice on how you save waste,and save money...

I would usually Google,but with the answer you gave,I thought you would have advice on how you save waste,and save money...

There is no magic bullet. No one trick that will reduce the amount of waste you buy and increase the amount of ways you can find to reuse what seems to be waste. It's lots of small things and a mindset change. Perhaps one way to start is stick a copy of your bill from Clonmel Waste or Mr Binman or whoever on the lid of your bin so you see it every time you decide to give them some money by putting something in that bin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

What development is on the corner of nelson and parnell street. Another coffee shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

What development is on the corner of nelson and parnell street. Another coffee shop?

A tapas restaurant was mentioned earlier in the thread I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

I was told there is an Indian Restaurant going in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

maximo31 wrote: »
    I was told there is an Indian Restaurant going in there.

Defo tapas and wine bar

Ok thanks guys . who are the developers.

I have heard that it is the same family that owns Lava Rock in Cahir and also the Gallilleo restaurants.

Lots of objection to the one at 51 Parnell street used to be a pub years ago

What is due to go in there ?

coffe shop/ restauarant and a takeaway beside it. There are two units 51 to 53 i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,236 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I have heard that it is the same family that owns Lava Rock in Cahir and also the Gallilleo restaurants.

I know in the Gallileo in Mitchelstown they've business cards for Lava Rock. So, I'd say the two are connected.

Advertisement