Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,071 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You mean that they are doing their damndest to form a government.

We should be mature enough as a country to accept that some things are better not done and less damaging.
    There is no need for this power swap thing of selling souls and principles and the giving away of freebies to politicians and constituencies lucky enough to hold the power. Go back to the people...cheaper and more honest all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

We should be mature enough as a country to accept that some things are better not done and less damaging.
    There is no need for this power swap thing of selling souls and principles and the giving away of freebies to politicians and constituencies lucky enough to hold the power. Go back to the people...cheaper and more honest all round.

So all hope for SF now gone this time around Francie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Interesting how you got that summation from that article given that the group met with the three party leaders.
    Reading between the lines between the lines maybe?

Do you honest believe that FF/FG have suddenly decided that now with the Green's on board now its time to increase the majority of the proposed coalition government. Why not have included the Regional Independents a month ago?

My reading if it is simply this.
    FF/FG have approached the Regional Independent Group for two reason. First it is likely to put pressure on the Green's to cave in and accept whats on offer at this time, whether this will work depends on how good the Green negotiating team is and whether Eamonn Ryan is smart enough to see what is happening.

Second if the Greens pull out, or more likely that FG refuse to give ground on certain issues, it give FF/FG the opportunity to tell the Greens to feck off with themselves and their unrealistic demands if they could be fairly certain of getting the Regional Independent group on board, despite the unsavoury baggage that comes with that group.

It would give them a government of 80 seats, barely enough, or as an added bonus if the Green's cave in a majority sufficient enough so that when things get tough neither the Greens or the Independents could threaten to walk out and pull down a government.

Its basically a pressure play on the Greens, or a back up if the Greens refuse cave in.

efanton wrote: »
    Do you honest believe that FF/FG have suddenly decided that now with the Green's on board now its time to increase the majority of the proposed coalition government.

My reading if it is simply this.
    FF/FG have approached the Regional Independent Group for two reason. First it is likely to put pressure on the Green's to cave in and accept whats on offer at this time, whether this will work depends on how good the Green negotiating team is and whether Eamonn Ryan is smart enough to see what is happening.

Second if the Greens pull out, or more likely that FG refuse to give ground on certain issues, it give FF/FG the opportunity to tell the Greens to feck off with themselves and their unrealistic demands if they could be fairly certain of getting the Regional Independent group on board, despite the unsavoury baggage that comes with that group.

It would give them a government of 80 seats, barely enough, or as an added bonus if the Green's cave in a majority sufficient enough so that when things get tough neither the Greens or the Independents could threaten to walk out and pull down a government.

Its basically a pressure play on the Greens, or a back up if the Greens refuse cave in.

Personally I just see it as something FF or the greens might want, someone else to take the heat if some unpopular decisions have to be made.

Personally I just see it as something FF or the greens might want, someone else to take the heat if some unpopular decisions have to be made.

If it was another political party I would agree with you.
    But its independents, and with the likes of Micheal Lowry in that group you can be certain they will not allow themselves to carry the can.
    There would be no point in bringing them on board unless there was an ulterior motive

• Advertisement

So all hope for SF now gone this time around Francie?

Oh...we want to talk about SF again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

FG just being FG again. What a dissapointing party. How is it they hide behind this dubious legal advice whenever a backbone is needed? It's their equivalent of shadowy figures.

https://twitter.com/frances_black/status/1268488873958653952?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

smurgen wrote: »
    FG just being FG again. What a dissapointing party. How is it they hide behind this dubious legal advice whenever a backbone is needed? It's their equivalent of shadowy figures.

https://twitter.com/frances_black/status/1268488873958653952?s=19

I see not my Taoiseach is trending on twitter today again. What has leo gone and done now does anyone know?

McMurphy wrote: »
    I see not my Taoiseach is trending on twitter today again. What has leo gone and done now does anyone know?

Size nines (socks and all) in it again.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1268511708152201217

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭PommieBast

My personal opinion is this move is more likely to be driven by Michael Martin than Leo or FG, but this would give the coalition government just 80 seats. There will be no room whatsoever for an unexpected revolt from an independent TD, an independent essentially black mailing the government or making additional demands for their support once a government is formed, or the unfortunate death of a government TD.
    Whatever comes out the other end is really just going to be about delaying the election until C19 is sorted.

Way things are going I might end up voting Green purely because they at least made a half-arsed attempt at building a coalition. I hate all their policies but they at least have something resembling a spine.

• Advertisement

A sectarian party calling out racists, it'd be funny if it weren't so serious a topic.

Ah it's funny anyway.

PommieBast wrote: »
    Whatever comes out the other end is really just going to be about delaying the election until C19 is sorted.

Way things are going I might end up voting Green purely because they at least made a half-arsed attempt at building a coalition. I hate all their policies but they at least have something resembling a spine.

I think the Green have really shot themselves in the foot.

Had they agreed to drop the hard 7% rule for every year and allowed that to be flexible so that at the end of 10 years you got the same result, and dropped their insistence on dropping road projects and reducing the road maintenance budget to that which would barely cover the costs of fixing pot holes, and then insisted that all the other Green demands that were agreed would be fully document and published in the program for government along with pre-agreed budgets for these measure it would have been a massive win for the Green and indeed for the country as a whole

Now its likely that they might walk away with nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

McMurphy wrote: »

Annoying losers, oddballs, and cranks on Twitter isn’t going to keep him awake at night, Murph.

Annoying losers, oddballs, and cranks on Twitter isn’t going to keep him awake at night, Murph.
    Nor twits on other forums.

Trump type language. Him and Leo are great mates mind so I suppose it makes sense his defenders would start speaking like the Donald eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The latest notion of an interim government to pass legislation and then an election when we get the all clear seems questionable, MM gets to call himself Taoiseach, FG get to sign off on Dinny getting EIR from Iliad in exchange for one of his Carribean networks, AIB (us) financing of course and The Greens getting a few free Teslas

A sectarian party calling out racists, it'd be funny if it weren't so serious a topic.

Ah it's funny anyway.

The Blueshirts probably delighted with trump's push to label antifa a terrorist organisation for obvious reasons.

And to think he was calling ML two-faced only weeks ago :)

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1268604799181783040?s=19

Ah it's funny anyway.

Sectarian in which way? Plenty of protestants have supported SF and republicanism.
    There no rule that says you cant join SF if you are a protestant or any religion other than catholic.

During the troubles there were even protestant members of the IRA, how would that square with what you are saying?

Believe it or not there are still protestants who believe in a united Ireland and there been a long list of them. Likewise there have been catholic who continue to support the idea of a British Union and they still exist.

To suggest SF are sectarian is totally false. You can certainly accuse them of republicanism and against any form of Unionism, but that has nothing to do with sectarianism or the religion or background of a person.

I suppose you could use the word sectarian in the sense of political doctrine but surely that has nothing to do with religion, colour, background. In that sense it would be equally valid to say there is a sectarian divide between FF and FG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Nor twits on other forums.

Make lemonade! Fierce bitter sucking those lemons dudes.

People are just quoting Varadkar. Talk to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The best people....
    Stay classy Fine Gael ;)

I just thought of the next quango.
    Re-education direct provision centers...now if only we could find a politician who can strike a deal with some businessman....hmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Sectarian in which way? Plenty of protestants have supported SF and republicanism.
    There no rule that says you cant join SF if you are a protestant or any religion other than catholic.

During the troubles there were even protestant members of the IRA, how would that square with what you are saying?

Believe it or not there are still protestants who believe in a united Ireland and there been a long list of them. Likewise there have been catholic who continue to support the idea of a British Union and they still exist.

To suggest SF are sectarian is totally false. You can certainly accuse them of republicanism and against any form of Unionism, but that has nothing to do with sectarianism or the religion or background of a person.

I suppose you could use the word sectarian in the sense of political doctrine but surely that has nothing to do with religion, colour, background. In that sense it would be equally valid to say there is a sectarian divide between FF and FG.

FG have supported sectarianism in the North, turning a blind eye to injustice for decades , some FGers consider the victims of Loyalism as getting what they deserved, remember these people gave Michael Stone a round ofapplause on the LLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Desperation stakes?

SF look far from power now, after all the general election celebrations

blanch152 wrote: »
    Desperation stakes?

The 'celebrations' under your bed blanch? :)

I didn't see any celebrating of being in government. Are you that bitter about it all that you would deny them celebrating finishing as top party after all the negativity?
    Don't answer that, we know the answer.

Oh god, that newly-elected TD doing Come Out ye Black and Tans in the pub? They seriously need to let that stuff go, because to me it is the sort of cheap dog-whistling that UKIP got upto.

Desperation stakes?

AS far away as another party it seems.

Roll on GE2.

I think the Green have really shot themselves in the foot.
    More like they should stop pulling the trigger.

Realistically the 7% target is what they should have ran with as the big-ticket item, maybe with three or four other things. That list of 17 "demands" already covered to death in another thread meant from the outset that their final position would be an inevitable retreat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

• Registered Users Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Why would I ...

So, you admit, you are just mouthing off with little or no knowledge about the facts of the issue.

Your modus operandi is, mine for a tweet, cue faux outrage with dollops of ad-hominins and pejorative name-calling. Rinse and repeat a few thousand times.

All from someone who never voted for SF before the last election. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

So it would be acceptable to you to see Micheal Lowry, a convicted crook, in government?

I would not be too happy to see Lowry in government but then look at someone like Dessie Ellis, someone whose actions have left people killed and murdered.
    A SINN Fein TD is believed to have been involved in 50 murders during the Troubles, new documents reveal.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/the-sinn-fein-td-who-is-linked-to-50-murders-28951973.html

If we are to accept to have people like him in government, then Lowry would also pass the bar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement