Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Storm / Strong Wind Event 2nd November

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Latest ECMWF at 24 hours has sustained 50 knot winds along the Kerry, west Cork coastline @ midday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

M6 buoy is back online.

plot_met.php?station=62095&meas=pres&uom=M&time_diff=0&time_label=GMT

Wouldn't be much rain associated with this over land would there?

Wouldn't be much rain associated with this over land would there?

A front will cross the country earlier in the morning with beefy showers following in then behind it.

The center is about 250km west of the M6 buoy now. Pressure at M6 dropping like a stone (see above), 995mb at 9pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

The center is about 250km west of the M6 buoy now. Pressure at M6 dropping like a stone (see above), 995mb at 9pm.

any chance of this system pulling north a little over the next few hours maq...or has that boat sailed:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Have seen two helicopters twice heading to Mayo General in the last while, coast guard ones as well, wonder how wild it is out at sea now and hope everyone is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A very busy day for Medevac 112,it has landed at Castlebar hospital 3 times today on separate call outs. Rescue 118 was at Mweelrea/Killary harbour for the 3rd day in a row trying to locate a missing climber. passed over Castlebar on the way back to Sligo but did not land.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Considering its associated with this spell might aswell post in here.

ESTOFEX LEVEL 1 for Southern half of the country 2moro.

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2013110306_201311012223_1_stormforecast.xml

A level 1 was issued for Ireland and Wales for severe convective wind gusts.

SYNOPSIS and DISCUSSION

A broad zonal flow covers most parts of Europe, distorted by a progressive, deepening trough and another powerful cyclone which cross the British Isles during the forecast period. Minimal and rather shallow CAPE is forecast in the belt of augmented low-level moisture along its cold front over Northern Portugal, Northern Spain and France, and then again in its wake over the British Isles and the Bay of Biscay, where lapse rates steepen in response to QG lift. Shower activity in these areas may be accompanied by a few lightning strikes. 0-3 km vertical wind shear does not exceed 15 m/s, but the strong background wind field can promote some severe wind gusts even with weakly organized convection over Ireland and Wales (25-30 m/s flow at 850 hPa).

howlinwolf wrote: »
    any chance of this system pulling north a little over the next few hours maq...or has that boat sailed:rolleyes:

I don't see any major change in track right now.

You can see it here :

http://meteocentre.com/analyses/map.php?date=2013110122&size=large&lang=en&map=Europe&area=eur

Estimated at 985mb at 10pm. It updates at around 12 minutes past the hour, but only using model data, you have to wait until about 45 minutes past the hour then refresh and it will have redrawn the chart with buoy data added in. The M6 buoy is the one nearest the center there.

• Advertisement

M6 buoy dropped 4.6mb in the past hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Would be good for a moderator to edit thread title to today's date, remove ? and add level 2 alert.

This appears to be an intense meso-scale low which could generate wind damage across parts of the south and later central counties as it tracks generally northeast across the country from about the Galway-Mayo border to Antrim.

Wind maximum likely to track from Kerry/Clare to Dublin/Meath and timing would be something like 0900h southwest, 1300h central and 1600h north Leinster. Potential for sustained winds 55 kts and gusts 75 kts, models have not necessarily missed this but the scale is so small that we need to do this old school. This could produce wind damage mainly trees down, power cuts and minor structural damage.

Will leave the details and tracking to the forum members as I have to file numerous forecasts but if I feel the coverage needs a boost I will add more later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Looking at the websites there is a lot of lightening in west Galway at the moment, I could see flashes in the Limerick area.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Wind really picking up here in Waterford City coupled with heavy rain. Max gust so far 56km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The met have their eye off the ball here. Damage looks a cert for places like cork waterford. I'll stick my neck out here n say someone will record a gust of 90mph

Was blustery here for a while as the front passed through. Less windy now again.

I'm a little surprised that Mace Head is the only location reporting gale force at the moment, and only just.

We'll see how things progress as the morning goes on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Was blustery here for a while as the front passed through. Less windy now again.

I'm a little surprised that Mace Head is the only location reporting gale force at the moment, and only just.

We'll see how things progress as the morning goes on.

Yes Maq winds have eased somewhat here. Current Avg. 20km/h Gusting to 40km/h. Top gust this morning 59km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Sherkin Island had higher gusts earlier and has gone off line (power cut?) ... UK buoy west of Valentia has had sustained 41 kt winds for about 4 hours, and ship report near Cobh last hour showed 53 kt. Some of the models showing a very tight gradient across southern half of Ireland by 12z and deeper low despite land passage. This is pretty much what the Monday low was doing across eastern England and the North Sea. I also factored in that the leading wave lost energy but brought in very high moisture and dew point energy available for later deepening. This is also one of the rare cases that I mentioned in a different thread where my research gives me a reason to suspect intensification so for me, this went to the action side of marginal as soon as I saw the actual upper air data around 0300h. There is quite a tight gradient at 500mb above this small system. Add in the very high SST values and I think we have all the necessary ingredients including strong wind shear aloft and a well-timed pulse of solar sourced geomagnetic pulse. Anyway, seems to be pivoting now west of Clare with two meso-scale vortices evident on recent satellite loop, the southern one likely to dominate from here on. If you're north of a line Westport-Knock-Omagh there will only be moderate east backing to north winds until the low is into Antrim or beyond and then your winds will pick up to join what is likely to be a country-wide windstorm mid-day to mid-afternoon. Gradient appears to tighten almost all day so could get very stormy around Galway and Mayo, and almost as bad further south. Good calls by some yesterday, I was suspicious but could see the thing perhaps failing to ignite or taking the long way round, however this looks like a direct hit on the central corridor Galway to Dublin (eventually, for time being Cork is most at risk of damaging gusts).

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

On The Galley Head coastline here wind has been blowing harder than I have heard for a while , would certainly be worried about power outages , sky quite bright now though as it was very grey there about an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 brianville

chipsdave wrote: »
    On The Galley Head coastline here wind has been blowing harder than I have heard for a while , would certainly be worried about power outages , sky quite bright now though as it was very grey there about an hour ago.

I agree, experiencing serious sustained winds in bandon area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

Don't have an accurate wind reading but its stronger than 20kph out here. it should have peaked wind wise at this stage,yeah??? expecting to see a good storm surge at high tide 4pm or so. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Max gust here so far 61 KMH

aboyro wrote: »
    Don't have an accurate wind reading but its stronger than 20kph out here. it should have peaked wind wise at this stage,yeah??? expecting to see a good storm surge at high tide 4pm or so. :D

Gust of 45kt or 83km/h recorded in the last half hour at Waterford airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

sounds rough in ballybunion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Good and windy here, was woken about 05:00am: Break: Tower Road Tree Down: could not get back to sleep.

My own WS [sheltered] 49km/h @ 09:10 baro still dropping 986.1 hPa

Widespread gusts even inland from 100-110 km/hr this evening as winds veer westerly.

13110218_0206.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Wind turning tropical here, higher sustained wind, a little difficulty in walking, sustained 22km/h via hand held Kestrel.

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Cork, Kerry and Waterford

Becoming extremely windy in coastal areas. West to southwest winds, veering west to northwest will reach mean speeds of 60 - 75 km/hr with possibly damaging gusts of 110 to 130 km/hr

Issued:
    Saturday 02 November 2013 09:00
    Valid:
    Saturday 02 November 2013 09:00 to Saturday 02 November 2013 18:00

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

Gust of 45kt or 83km/h recorded in the last half hour at Waterford airport.
    serious squall about 5 mins ago. i'll have the camera ready for the next one

• Advertisement

I expect gusts in the Dublin region to reach 60 knots or 110 km/hr this evening.

If i was to predict would say Dublin AIR, 7pm: 62 knots.

Advertisement