Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Storm / Strong Wind Event 2nd November

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Low clearly visible on radar over Galway Bay. Circulation is rather slack out to about 984 mb at present then tightens up between that and 992 mb. Obviously the Kinsale platform is high up but sustained 55 kt gusting 69 kt. If this gradient is drawn north by deepening and track to northeast, would expect widespread damaging gusts inland. If you're near the track of the low watch for the calm eye conditions and a very gradual increase rather than anything sudden. I think peak winds in Galway might be around 3-6 p.m. Dublin around 5-9 p.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Low clearly visible on radar over Galway Bay. Circulation is rather slack out to about 984 mb at present then tightens up between that and 992 mb. Obviously the Kinsale platform is high up but sustained 55 kt gusting 69 kt. If this gradient is drawn north by deepening and track to northeast, would expect widespread damaging gusts inland. If you're near the track of the low watch for the calm eye conditions and a very gradual increase rather than anything sudden. I think peak winds in Galway might be around 3-6 p.m. Dublin around 5-9 p.m.

when would you say peak conditions for the southwest i.e cork and kerry? blustery in north cork but nothing too severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

According to radar the eye is slap bang over the Aran Islands

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Some people are still asleep i guess

http://www.meteoalarm.eu/en_UK/0/0/IE-Ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

when would you say peak conditions for the southwest i.e cork and kerry? blustery in north cork but nothing too severe.

Same here in Dingle (exposed location)

Will post updates as day progresses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Starting to pick up again here in Waterford now.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

http://axis-78tramore.axiscam.net/view/index.shtml

just look at the lamp-posts on tramore prom right now!!!! a new take on lamppost watching:D

click on zoom view

aboyro wrote: »
    http://axis-78tramore.axiscam.net/view/index.shtml

just look at the lamp-posts on tramore prom right now!!!! a new take on lamppost watching:D

click on zoom view

Grand day for a cone. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

as they say in waterford "me candy floss just blewed away boy"

Updated :
    STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Wexford, Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Waterford

Becoming extremely windy at times today in coastal areas. West to southwest winds, veering west to northwest, will reach mean speeds of 60 to 75 km/hr with possible damaging gusts of 110 to 130 km/hr.

Issued:
    Saturday 02 November 2013 09:00
    Valid:
    Saturday 02 November 2013 10:00 to Saturday 02 November 2013 18:00
    STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Dublin, Louth, Wicklow and Meath

West to northwest winds will reach mean speeds of 45 to 65 km/hr with gusts of 90 to 110 km/hr, mainly in coastal areas

Issued:
    Saturday 02 November 2013 09:00
    Valid:
    Saturday 02 November 2013 16:00 to Saturday 02 November 2013 23:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Seriously? The Met are issuing warnings now? This system has been progged for 5 days now and not a peep out of them. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Wind max could jump north so that a few locations in west Kerry might not ramp up too much, eventually your strongest winds around Tralee might come fairly late in the afternoon but I think what's going to happen is that the south coast wind max will just give way to a central wind max as the circulation tightens up around 12-13h.

A swathe of gusts to 60 or even 65 knots will affect a swathe of the country this evening. Enough to down weak trees. Will be an interesting watch as the low moves over us.

Seriously? The Met are issuing warnings now? This system has been progged for 5 days now and not a peep out of them. Crazy.

yeah you and maq have been watching this very closely. has the system gone further north than originally expected?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

49kt or 91km/h recorded in the last half hour at Waterford Airport. 70km/h at my more inland station

www.waterfordcityweather.com

yeah you and maq have been watching this very closely. has the system gone further north than originally expected?
    It is pretty much on track, it is heading quite far north but the initial swathe of winds is well south of the centre. This gradient will change later and the strongest winds will be when the low clears the east coast overnight. Will not be a pleasant evening especially in squally showers where winds will gust to 110 km/hr or even 120 km/hr on occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

What sort of conditions can Midlands expect later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

take care and be safe everybody

cyclops999 wrote: »
    What sort of conditions can Midlands expect later on.

Later this afternoon and evening winds will gust to as high as 90/100 km/hr inland.

There appears to be a peak intensity in the wind gust area near Dublin with gusts from 100-120 km/hr this evening from 5-10pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Really wild and windy on the Mizen - my neighbouring weather station (Schull) has recorded gusts of up to 60 mph.

Heavy showers have been passing through since around 02.00 but they've generally been of very short duration - a couple of minutes and they're gone.

• Advertisement

Wind max could jump north so that a few locations in west Kerry might not ramp up too much, eventually your strongest winds around Tralee might come fairly late in the afternoon but I think what's going to happen is that the south coast wind max will just give way to a central wind max as the circulation tightens up around 12-13h.

its relatively calm here right now..not too much wind at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

We've gone calm.

Baro is showing a dip and dropping again now v slowly @ 986.5 hPa.

Interesting that there was no gales reported at 10am at any coastal station.

I'd expect that to change in the southwest over the next couple of hours though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Pressure down to 981.2mb here now and falling very rapidly -22.3mb last 24hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

Calmed down totally in Cork City now, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Pressure falling in North Kildare. Reading 982mb but falling rapidly. Lowest recorded pressure on my station which I've had almost a year. Highest windspeed today has been 21kph but my ISS isn't in a great position so I suspect it should be higher.

Looking at the NMM-8, it does show this weakening of winds until 11-12 when strong winds reach the southwest again and continue in over the country until around 8pm exiting the east coast, with areas nearer the coasts with the strongest of the gusts of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The wind has started to pick up again here in Galway city
    WNW'ly, Mean 20mph , Recent gust 42mph

Barometer 979.25 hPa: Falling -0.80 hPa/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 34 phillo65

What would ye think on this hitting Sligo.Have a dodgy tree thats going Monday and dont want it to fall the wrong way before.Long time follower of this forum and find it interesting,educational and entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 crispydolphin

Horrible wind in the south-east

Advertisement