Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Storm / Strong Wind Event 2nd November

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Nasty wind and rain here as the centre of the low rotates over Galway. Blue skies to the west of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭atsbury

Very windy in co Wexford at the coast! Sea is very choppy, plenty of showers rolling in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Given the low barometric readings st the moment, might throw in an old weather saying 'first rise after low, foretells a stronger blow' . As soon as the pressure begins to rise we get the strongest winds at the back of the low pressure centre moving away. Could be nasty in some places next few hours .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

What sort of damage can we expect from this folks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Not a hint of a breeze in Castlebar at the moment, going by MT we will get hit later, any idea of the time scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Xenji wrote: »
    Not a hint of a breeze in Castlebar at the moment, going by MT we will get hit later, any idea of the time scale?

You should begin to get hit around 2pm onwards.

Now:

WIND-D2-124.png

4pm

WIND-D2-128.png

You should begin to get hit around 2pm onwards.

Now:

WIND-D2-124.png

4pm

WIND-D2-128.png

Woah looks like it is definitely the calm before the storm here, cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

There's almost a full circle of precip with an apparent eye moving across the midlands, just north of a line from galway to Dublin. It also appears to have some circulation to it. Is this the centre of the low or just an off-shoot? it has been present for several hours now and it's the same little area that passed right over Galway city a few hours ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

I have been unable to model watch since yesterday and I just logged on to find Donegal included in the Orange warning. Am I seeing things? I'm on my phone so I can't really check charts ty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Not to windy in Athlone just heavy showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

And there's the wind rising again at Valentia as expected. Round 2, the bigger round, is on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Sun is shining in Galway city and little or no wind .... Yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Sun is shining in Galway city and little or no wind .... Yet

Yes, a nice dry, sunny interlude after a very blustery morning. The sky is looking pretty ominous off to the northwest again now though

26A9046F-635E-486A-B7D9-DCB3DCCD9ACB-5069-000004583F5EEFD7_zpsd2ac0d2a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

not a single bit of wind here in Derry at the minute. Skies have turned pretty dark in the last 30 minutes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Very gusty in Cork City at present :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

highdef wrote: »
    There's almost a full circle of precip with an apparent eye moving across the midlands, just north of a line from galway to Dublin. It also appears to have some circulation to it. Is this the centre of the low or just an off-shoot? it has been present for several hours now and it's the same little area that passed right over Galway city a few hours ago.

Screencap from the Met Eireann weather radar

Over Galway City at 11am

278531.jpg

East Galway at 11.30am

278532.jpg

Roscommon at 11.45am

278533.jpg

Gone dark here in Galway some rain still no real big winds in fact barely a breeze out there where is our storm

Weather on rte there mentioned strong winds but no real warning probably wont be that wild so........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Latest Met
    Today
    Widespread heavy showers this afternoon, some thundery or of hail. Becoming very windy with west to northwest winds increasing strong and gusty. Winds will be extremely strong near west and south coasts with damaging gusts of up to 130 km/hr possible. Highest temperatures of 9 to 12 Celsius.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Great drying out there today :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It's bad in cork city now....

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Was really squally showers earlier with some serious winds here in carlow but died right down last 2 hours just windy and sunny is that it for us in the south east or have we a second wave on the way

Latest Met

You'd think with that warning with "damaging gusts" they have on the website that a proper warning should have been given there on the weather on tv ....them weather girls:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Extremely windy here at the moment, it was dry and bright up until about 15mins ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mesut Ozil

delw wrote: »
    Great drying out there today :eek:

Not with showers blowing over every 15 - 20 minutes.

Picking up now in Castlebar, some nice gusts in the last few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Radar and satellite image at 1245.

278534.jpg
    url]stc=1&d=1383398684

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

The eye of that storm looks like its headed straight for me:eek:. North Meath/Cavan border. Very wet and windy here for past hour, but no major gusts yet - sky goes dark then bright then dark etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

It was a beautiful dry sunny morning here in North Leitrim right up til about 12.30, then the rain came. Still no wind but a fair change in the day already. Have battened down all the hatches here for whatever comes. Was surprised that Leitrim was included in the Orange warning by ME.

Got the finger out at last and got the wind direction piece on my station fixed. :) All set now... Roll it on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Mesut Ozil wrote: »
    Not with showers blowing over every 15 - 20 minutes.
    Joking aside it has been fairly dry & bright here the last few hours only one quick shower

Advertisement