Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-10-2019, 10:50   #46
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1ie View Post
If Siro is not available in your area, you are basically stuck with virgin media with regards to speed and reliability, would I be correct in saying this?
Yes

I have a choice of 500 from Virgin or 100 or much less in real world from rest
Advertisement
18-10-2019, 10:55   #47
tom1ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Yes

I have a choice of 500 from Virgin or 100 or much less in real world from rest
Right, so in other words there is no bargaining leverage to use at the moment.
Although I’ll admit I’m on a half price package at the moment with virgin but I only got that after about 6 phone calls and threatening that I was willing to accept a lower speed for a lower price, which I’m not really willing to accept.
I’m not sure if this tactic is going to work again.
18-10-2019, 11:05   #48
jeffk

Quote:
Right, so in other words there is no bargaining leverage to use at the moment.
Although I’ll admit I’m on a half price package at the moment with virgin but I only got that after about 6 phone calls and threatening that I was willing to accept a lower speed for a lower price, which I’m not really willing to accept.
I’m not sure if this tactic is going to work again.
No there isnt, but the last time I called they almost cut me off a threw an offer at me

Worse case you get 3 months off, better than nothing as the saying goes
18-10-2019, 11:10   #49
awec

Mod: Rugby, ZTest
Quote:
If Siro is not available in your area, you are basically stuck with virgin media with regards to speed and reliability, would I be correct in saying this?
The best providers are Virgin, Siro and probably Eir FTTH.

Anything that comes through a phone line will be a lot worse than Virgin. That includes most of the packages at Vodafone, Sky, Eir etc etc.
(2) thanks from:
18-10-2019, 11:15   #50
captainshamroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles35 View Post
How are Eir getting deals with Apple? Horrible company clawing away respect and money.
Which one?

I am getting slow speeds with Virgin fairly regularly. Anyone got them to reduce price based on that?
I don't have fibre option unfortunately so cancelling is an empty threat.
Advertisement
18-10-2019, 11:28   #51
shardylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippin Jimmy View Post
I'm paying a similar price. What is your broadband speed?
I’m on limitless 240mb
Thanks from:
18-10-2019, 12:38   #52
baldbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shardylan View Post
I’m on limitless 240mb
I said I would cancel the last time . And they never rang me back
18-10-2019, 12:43   #53
Mrcaramelchoc

If i go with vodafone which i intend to do in 12 months if i decide to go back to virgin.am i Considered a new customer?ie will i be able to get new customer offers?
18-10-2019, 12:45   #54
okidoki987

Someone I know worked for VM call centre (not for long as she couldn't put up with all the complaining!) and she said they read the comments on this site all the time.
So when people say they will cancel and then cancel the cancellation, VM still have the same number of customers so there's no need for them to increase the offers.
It's only when people do actually leave in numbers, will they start to improve their retain offers.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-10-2019, 13:06   #55
Slippin Jimmy

Called up to see would they increase my speed for free. It was a no go. Currently on 240mb at 29.50 for 9 months.
18-10-2019, 13:58   #56
breeno

Slightly off-topic but I ordered Eir earlier this year and told them I used to have a phone line and it was torn out during a renovation. They said no problem, we'll install a new one. KN engineer came out and couldn't locate the original cable so said he couldn't do anything and Eir would have to send a team out to dig up the road etc to feed a new line in but when I rang Eir they said they wouldn't so I had to cancel the order.

How do I go about getting a new line into an existing house? I spoke to Eir sales and got a young guy who just kept saying 'yea no bother, we'll install the new line wtihin 3 days' but he wasn't listening to or appreciating the actual details - would have thought opening the road etc wouldn't be turned aroudnd that quickly.

Appreciate any help as I hate being tied to Virgin as my only option and would love to break my contract and move to Eir for Apple TV. Thanks guys,sorry for the essay
18-10-2019, 14:11   #57
Ush1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippin Jimmy View Post
Called up to see would they increase my speed for free. It was a no go. Currently on 240mb at 29.50 for 9 months.
That's a great price you're on.
Thanks from:
18-10-2019, 14:35   #58
Kintarō Hattori
All Round Nice Guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Kintarō Hattori
Hey Folks,

I have multiple camera's around the house with the likes of a single Nest camera taking around 300 Gbps per month so have stuck with Virgin seeing as there's no actual cap on my plan. Add in Netflix, web players and so on and I'd be well over most caps. I can get SIRO in my area but looking at the likes of Digiweb it's capped, Vodafone doesn't seem to have the best rep, no do Eir. Is there anything better or is it a case of just sticking with VM, perhaps trying to haggle a deal out of them on the basis that I'd be leaving.

Actually I just checked my consumption over the last few months and it's well under the 1TB cap. What's Digiweb and their Fritz modem like does anyone know?

Last edited by Kintarō Hattori; 18-10-2019 at 15:06.
18-10-2019, 14:59   #59
shardylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldbear View Post
I said I would cancel the last time . And they never rang me back
If they don’t I’d ring them the day before and see what they offer .
18-10-2019, 15:22   #60
iwantthat

I rang them for cancellation and so she gave me some discount which would make my yearly contract at 915 euros. I told her i can sign up with vodafone and get all the same for only 510 euro per year. She came back and offerred a new deal totallying 512 euro per year. I signed up for another year again... happy days.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion