Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Broadband - Price Increase - Break Contract

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Jimmythesaint

What happens with VM equipment? Are we responsible for returning it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

What happens with VM equipment? Are we responsible for returning it?

They shud collect it

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

donnyvegas wrote: »
    Just got onto Virgin via Whatsapp. Told them I wasn't happy about the price increase and asked how to cancel. They just responded.

"Thanks for that, one of our team with be in touch within 48 hours to talk through the next steps. If for any reason we are unable to contact you please be aware that your account will close in 30 days."

Seems my 30 days notice to them was done through Whatsapp.

Moving to Sky :)

I don't need 500mb a second, most people don't. Most people cannot even access it due to limitation of WiFi.

If I get 70-80 megabyte with Sky, I'd be happy.

Sky TV is the gold standard. Virgin TV is pretty unusable.

Virgin called.

Offered me a deal I couldn't refuse.

€47 a month for 12 months - 250 MB broadband, full TV package, landline.

Already have a family Netflix that I don't pay for.

Couldn't say no.

Sorry Sky.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Many people do not realise this

I only ever got 50-60mbs speeds with virgin over wi-fi anyway and it was always fine for streaming

If you are only getting as little as 60mbs on wifi then you have set it up wrong (or else your house is a huge bomb shelter and the wifi signal is abysmal).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I just signed up for a 12 month contract at the begining of October, can I get out of it?
    the Broadband is great but the Horizon box does my head in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭curranbaz

awec wrote: »
    If you are only getting as little as 60mbs on wifi then you have set it up wrong (or else your house is a huge bomb shelter and the wifi signal is abysmal).

Or the device he's streaming on has an older wireless card that's only capable of achieving those types of speeds!

Had a similar issue with my Ma's broadband, signed her up 2 Pure telecom and wasn't getting expected speeds only 2 discover it's due 2 the crappy router they provide!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

have i got this right, i am on 240mb broadband and phone (never used)for 59 going up to 62.50

i can break that and switch to the 360mb deal naked broadband and drop the phone for 64 a month.

Vodafone is the same price in my area after the deal expires. 65 a month for 350mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

I cancelled my broadband with Virgin Media last week. They just called and offered 9 months for 29.50 and 3 months for 59.50e, 12 month contract. I'm on 240mbs package. Was going to sign up with Vodafone 1gbs. Not sure what to do, its coming up nearly same amount for year, 420e vs 450e. Anyone using Vodafone 1gbs in Galway (Roscam area)?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

kave2 wrote: »
    I cancelled my broadband with Virgin Media last week. They just called and offered 9 months for 29.50 and 3 months for 59.50e, 12 month contract. I'm on 240mbs package. Was going to sign up with Vodafone 1gbs. Not sure what to do, its coming up nearly same amount for year, 420e vs 450e. Anyone using Vodafone 1gbs in Galway (Roscam area)?

I’d stick with VM if the price is close to matching.
    As much as I hate them, their BB is superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭degzs

Virgin called.

Offered me a deal I couldn't refuse.

€47 a month for 12 months - 250 MB broadband, full TV package, landline.

Already have a family Netflix that I don't pay for.

Couldn't say no.

Sorry Sky.

Did you cancel by WhatsApp to get that offer ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Just cancelled there. Was paying €59 for last 12 months for 240mb broadband and tv. Best offer was 45 a month for 6 months then 85 for the other 6.
    So an offer that’s more expensive than what I’m paying currently :/

Going to sign up under other half’s name with the Black Friday offer. Last year was a free 32inch Lg tv for 59 a month for 12 months broadband and tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

degzs wrote: »

Tried cancelling my account via online chat, was nothing but bot replies so then tried WhatsApp who advised all cancellations had to go via 1908 number and they couldn't even give me an offer to incentive me to stay.

Paying 59.50 for 240m broadband + phone (don't use) which was to become 63.00 in Jan. After about a 5 min wait time on phone got a pleasant Irish chap who quickly offered 6 months at 29.50 with remaining 6 months at 59.50. Wasn't good enough to get me to stay so he gave 9 months at 29.50 with remaining 3 at 59.50 for a yearly total of €444.

Was going to move to Vodafone for a yearly total of €390 but they could only see a 12m connection available at my address so could have been frustrating plus the phone line in the house hasn't been active in years so might involve additional hassle.

Virgin it is so for another year, hopefully by then Siro will be available with better alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Cancelled virgin and got the 6 month at 29 deal, 6 months at 60. Not good enough. Last year they gave me 9 months half price.

Signed up with Eir. I totally know what I’m getting myself in for but if the broadband is palatable then it should be ok. €40 per month with €50 activation charge and €100 credit on my account (One Big Switch deal). I am a Eir Sport subscriber so I’m getting €15 a month getting Eir Broadband (TV with Sky). If I went with Voda then I’d be paying extra for Eir Sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Other half tried WhatsApp and told to call 1908, current plan is now 89 going up to 92.50, offer "half price" for 6 months at 59 euro and then 6 months at 92.50. Said she can only discount the broadband element, when she pointed out we could switch to a package on their network that work out 180 euro cheaper the agent replied well we can do that aswell, and tried to railroad her on to the new package instead of cancelling. 30 days notice served, switching to Sky, broadband isn't as good but the tv service is far far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

Yes.

They initially offer 9 months at €47 and 3 months at €94. I said I wanted 12 months at €47. They asked manager. Manager agreed. Happy customer.

Fab regards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tried cancelling my account via online chat, was nothing but bot replies so then tried WhatsApp who advised all cancellations had to go via 1908 number and they couldn't even give me an offer to incentive me to stay.

Paying 59.50 for 240m broadband + phone (don't use) which was to become 63.00 in Jan. After about a 5 min wait time on phone got a pleasant Irish chap who quickly offered 6 months at 29.50 with remaining 6 months at 59.50. Wasn't good enough to get me to stay so he gave 9 months at 29.50 with remaining 3 at 59.50 for a yearly total of €444.

Was going to move to Vodafone for a yearly total of €390 but they could only see a 12m connection available at my address so could have been frustrating plus the phone line in the house hasn't been active in years so might involve additional hassle.

Virgin it is so for another year, hopefully by then Siro will be available with better alternatives.

That's the same package price I've been on for the current year, phoned them and asked for the same but they said no, best they could offer (without the phone) was 44 for 9, 59 for 3, totalling 573 but I said no and didn't formally hand in notice but I'll phone back again and see can they better their offer.
    I've no SIRO so that's a big negative.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

out of contract and not happy with price increase.

My concern...broadband is good.

Are the alternative provider's broadband as good and if so who would people recommend?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

slave1 wrote: »
    That's the same package price I've been on for the current year, phoned them and asked for the same but they said no, best they could offer (without the phone) was 44 for 9, 59 for 3, totalling 573 but I said no and didn't formally hand in notice but I'll phone back again and see can they better their offer.
    I've no SIRO so that's a big negative.

Phoned back and they would not budge on the 44 for 6 and 59 for 6, LOL

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Go ahead and cancel. You’ll more than likely get a call in 2 weeks offering a better deal. You have to actually put in your 30 days notice to get the very best deals sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I was also paying the full €59.50 for about the past 9 months and out of contract so might have had better leeway in offering me a deal this time.
    A friend who previously was on 9+3 could only get get 6+6 of them this time so cancelled but they didn't budge throughout and he had to cancel his cancellation with a couple of days to go before being cut off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Go ahead and cancel. You’ll more than likely get a call in 2 weeks offering a better deal. You have to actually put in your 30 days notice to get the very best deals sometimes

Is everyone who is getting the better deal getting the call around 2 weeks after cancelling?
    Best deal I got on the phone was a tenner off for 6 months with the excuse there are no other offers in my area
    Don't really want to leave VM for the likes of eir etc but I'm not paying 750 euro for BB/phone and I'm not even an heavy user of (avg. 80Gb a month)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Happy4all wrote: »
    Are the alternative provider's broadband as good and if so who would people recommend?

You really have to go and get someone installed to know how good FTTC is gonna be where you live.

You pretty much have:
    SIRO (everyone offering up to 1gb)
    Virgin
    Everyone else who says “up to 100mb”

For anyone interested, virgin and sky usually offer a free LG 32inch tv for new customers along with good bundle deals at Black Friday (3 weeks away). Worth considering. You can cancel and sign up as a new customer in your partners etc name

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭AhhHere

Many people do not realise this

I only ever got 50-60mbs speeds with virgin over wi-fi anyway and it was always fine for streaming

Did a speed test on laptop and phone. On the 360mb plan with Virgin but I am only getting 40mbps now. Streaming everything and it's been fine at those speeds. Dont game online. Only need it for streaming so tempted to move now. Will a sim in a router give me the same service? In Dublin city centre

AhhHere wrote: »
    Did a speed test on laptop and phone. On the 360mb plan with Virgin but I am only getting 40mbps now. Streaming everything and it's been fine at those speeds. Dont game online. Only need it for streaming so tempted to move now. Will a sim in a router give me the same service? In Dublin city centre

Both wireless devices. Have you spilt your WiFi to 2.5 and 5 wifi networks. I was getting poor wifi speeds till I done that.

You tried connecting the laptop directly to the router via a cable and do a speed test.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Rang yesterday. They offered 6 months reduced followed by 6 months at full. I told them that sky were offering netflicks free etc and that Vodafone were even doing better offers. He gave me the whole 100mb vs 240mb sell. I told him that I'm only looking to stream content and that 100mb was enough for me. He didn't budge, so I just cancelled and will be going for SIRO and an Android box if I can. TV tends to be junk anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭AhhHere

irishgeo wrote: »
    Both wireless devices. Have you spilt your WiFi to 2.5 and 5 wifi networks. I was getting poor wifi speeds till I done that.

You tried connecting the laptop directly to the router via a cable and do a speed test.

Wifi is split yes. I've a firestick, chromecast, google home, laptop, phone etc on wifi and never any issues with those speeds. Know I can get quicker when plugged in but there's never been a need. That's 11% of potential speed.

Would competing plans with "up to 100mb" mean my wifi speed only be 11mbps (11%)?

AhhHere wrote: »
    Wifi is split yes. I've a firestick, chromecast, google home, laptop, phone etc on wifi and never any issues with those speeds. Know I can get quicker when plugged in but there's never been a need. That's 11% of potential speed.

Would competing plans with "up to 100mb" mean my wifi speed only be 11mbps (11%)?

No but a Sim card is subject to a cap and it's going to slow down a lot at peak times. 6pm to 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Patser

Yes.

They initially offer 9 months at €47 and 3 months at €94. I said I wanted 12 months at €47. They asked manager. Manager agreed. Happy customer.

Fab regards.

Just on to Virgin there. They offered 6 months at €47 and rest at €94. I mentioned this thread and and the quoted offer above, and I could hear the resignation in the Reps voice, going 'yes we are aware of Boards' but that an algorithm controls what he can offer.

So I'm into cancellation mode now, to see what offers I can get across the platforms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Patser wrote: »
    Just on to Virgin there. They offered 6 months at €47 and rest at €94. I mentioned this thread and and the quoted offer above, and I could hear the resignation in the Reps voice, going 'yes we are aware of Boards' but that an algorithm controls what he can offer.

So I'm into cancellation mode now, to see what offers I can get across the platforms

Well at least your one admitted that people get different offers, the one we got was adamant everyone on her was full of spoof, despite the fact I have got some of the mentioned offers in the past :D Running down the competition was again the theme of the day

Advertisement