Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Broadband - Price Increase - Break Contract

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Patser

My guy seemed more resigned to the fact this is all a bit of a dance. I asked for same deal, was told he couldn't do it, said I'll cancel, he said ok - all done very quickly with minimum chat, no talk of where I would go or competition. More just ok this is next step towards someone else being able to offer more.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jclack

Patser wrote: »
    Just on to Virgin there. They offered 6 months at €47 and rest at €94. I mentioned this thread and and the quoted offer above, and I could hear the resignation in the Reps voice, going 'yes we are aware of Boards' but that an algorithm controls what he can offer.

So I'm into cancellation mode now, to see what offers I can get across the platforms

What was involved in the offer as in TV, broadband, phone? Sky sports or movies as well??

TV, bband and phone only - but as said very little offered or negotiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

TV, bband and phone only - but as said very little offered or negotiated.

Probably got so many trying it on now they stopped offering.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

slave1 wrote: »
    Phoned back and they would not budge on the 44 for 6 and 59 for 6, LOL
    Go ahead and cancel. You’ll more than likely get a call in 2 weeks offering a better deal. You have to actually put in your 30 days notice to get the very best deals sometimes

So I got an email this morning to carry out a survey as to why I cancelled my contract, thing is I have not cancelled, I phoned to see could they offer me a deal but just finished the call by saying leave it with me, looks like they've cancelled their end, this should be fun when I get cut off.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Told them I was moving and to keep me they had to do better than vodafone ..
    Vodafone offer....
    €25.00 a month for the first six months(€55.00 per month thereafter)
    Unlimited Local & National Minutes
    Please note there is no connection fee for this order.
    Broadband Voice
    Broadband 1GB
    Unlimited Local & National Minutes

They must have thought I was joking and came with 44 for 6 and 64 for 6. For 360mb speed.

Told them I was going after 5 years.
    reply . sorry . thats the best we can do.

Vodafone getting installed in 3 weeks from today.

Bye Virgin..

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bonjurkes

So I was wondering how this cancellation deals thing work. Should I call loyalty team directly, or just call them and say that I want to cancel my broadband and wait for a better deal on phone? Or will they call back for a better offer?

I was in the middle of my contract with the price increase they are breaking the contract so I would prefer to get some nice deal to renew my contract else I will switch to ADSL (even thou I am not huge fan of it)

edit: got offer 6 months 29.50 then 6 months 59 for 250 speed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Whats the Virgin Media broadband speed?

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Whats the Virgin Media broadband speed?

depends on the area you are in, but when I had a device plugged in to the router , I was getting the claimed 360mb

Wifi was a different story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Is there a timescale as to when you needed to have started a contract with VM?

I renewed my Broadband and TV in August, and was hoping to see what I could do when the change of price was coming....but having got on to them, VM are saying that I won't be getting any price increase and therefore will not be in a position to cancel? Did that happen anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Heiser

Heiser wrote: »
    After 10 years I've switched from virgin to VF. Engineer is coming Monday. I can only only get up to 100mbs but my neighbor has VF and gets 50-60mbps so I'll be happy with that (what do you all need 240mb for!?). I only ever got 50-60mbs speeds with virgin over wi-fi anyway and it was always fine for streaming.

My contract with virgin runs out the week after, so after the VF engineer sets it up I'll give it the week and if the service isn't good enough I'll tell virgin not to cancel but hopefully it won't come to that.

Will update next week after a few days of VF service. Delighted to finally move from Virgin I was sick of them and the price increases every year and am happy out to be only paying 25pm for 6 months and 40 for the other 6 months with VF

Well I had the vodaphone guy out today installing the modem. All done now. I have to say Vodaphone have been great so far.

I got the 100mb package and am getting speeds of 89mbs so far so I'm happy out with that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Currently paying 58.50 per month for 240mb BB and got the usual email bout the price increase in January to 62.00.

Rang them to day to say i wasn’t happy, the usual and see what they could offer.

2 months at 48
    4 months at 52
    Then the last 6 months it goes to the increased price of 62.

Basically a tenner off per month for 6 months.
    I only have BB with them so haven’t really got loads of power over them and last month I used 700gb so I was never gonna change. My speeds are regularly up around the 200mbps mark on my iOS devices so I’m happy with that.

I’ll just have to call gain in 12 months with the usual “I’m leaving crap” :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

depends on the area you are in, but when I had a device plugged in to the router , I was getting the claimed 360mb

Wifi was a different story though.

Their fixed line speeds are excellent I have to say but wifi is brutal, I had huge intermittent drop outs and when I phoned to get them to call out they said there would be a charge if there was no issue found on the day, thing is it's intermittent so could be perfect on the day so I didn't go for it.
    Bought a Google Nest instead and it has been 100% every minute of every day since, then disabled wifi on their hub.
    When I phoned last week about the increase I told them they're cheeky raising the price with poor wifi and yer man said I should have logged a call for it to be sorted so I told him what I typed about, he said the cancellation department can waive the call out fee and it was them I should have spoke to previously, like I'm a mind reader!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Their fixed line speeds are excellent I have to say but wifi is brutal, I had huge intermittent drop outs and when I phoned to get them to call out they said there would be a charge if there was no issue found on the day, thing is it's intermittent so could be perfect on the day so I didn't go for it.
    Bought a Google Nest instead and it has been 100% every minute of every day since, then disabled wifi on their hub.
    When I phoned last week about the increase I told them they're cheeky raising the price with poor wifi and yer man said I should have logged a call for it to be sorted so I told him what I typed about, he said the cancellation department can waive the call out fee and it was them I should have spoke to previously, like I'm a mind reader!!

yes. I had drop out problems with my virgin hub. After a call to them, their tech said I had to many devices connected to 2.4. So he separated it with 2.5 and 5g. sorted it tbh. Plus the 5g is super fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Tarquin1970

kceire wrote: »
    Currently paying 58.50 per month for 240mb BB and got the usual email bout the price increase in January to 62.00.

Rang them to day to say i wasn’t happy, the usual and see what they could offer.

2 months at 48
    4 months at 52
    Then the last 6 months it goes to the increased price of 62.

Basically a tenner off per month for 6 months.
    I only have BB with them so haven’t really got loads of power over them and last month I used 700gb so I was never gonna change. My speeds are regularly up around the 200mbps mark on my iOS devices so I’m happy with that.

I’ll just have to call gain in 12 months with the usual “I’m leaving crap” :)

Did they leave you on the 240mb plan? I'm on the 240 plan with home phone (never used!) paying €59.50 soon to be €63....Their Naked 250Mb is €59 per month and includes Free Virgin Media TV Anywhere Sports Pass (but no phone!)

I am on 240 Mb plan and I have been told that plan will not exist anymore, so the offer they gave me was for 250

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Tarquin1970

bonjurkes wrote: »
    I am on 240 Mb plan and I have been told that plan will not exist anymore, so the offer they gave me was for 250

Excellent, just saw your deal above. Was that through 1908? was there much haggling involved?

Just call 1908 go to cancelling menu and choose the option saying cancelling because of price, then they will make an offer and you can push a bit more.

Anyone have experience with eir- just got offered their new apple tv box and fibre to cabinet (not house) 100mb for €65 per month guaranteed forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just got call off VM (a week after cancelling)
    Straight in with 9 months half price - am I interested?

• Advertisement

Anyone have experience with eir- just got offered their new apple tv box and fibre to cabinet (not house) 100mb for €65 per month guaranteed forever.

Have you checked if you can get 100Mb?

fritzelly wrote: »
    Have you checked if you can get 100Mb?

About 89mbs promised

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

About 89mbs promised

An agent promised you that? I'd be careful, speeds can be vastly below expected with Eir, the TV service sounds pretty poor now aswell. Install and see how it goes is all you can do, you can cancel in cooling off period if you can get through to someone

About 89mbs promised

They are only quoting what the line could be capable of, check with neighbours if they have eir what speed they are getting

Found the eir thread here on boards - Eir option is a no go, can't record majority of channels incl BBC - so no strictly = unhappy wife = no peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭danois

Has anyone held out and let the cancellation go through? Did you get a better offer. My notice is almost up. I did miss a call from them a week after but nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

danois wrote:
    Has anyone held out and let the cancellation go through? Did you get a better offer. My notice is almost up. I did miss a call from them a week after but nothing since.

Did not get any calls either..infact told to recycle virgin hub on my own..not even looking to be sent back...

I am anyways happy with my voda...the control you have over wifi over connected devices is God send..kids are wondering why their wifi does not work during some hoursðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭deep1

Did not get any calls either..infact told to recycle virgin hub on my own..not even looking to be sent back...

I am anyways happy with my voda...the control you have over wifi over connected devices is God send..kids are wondering why their wifi does not work during some hoursðŸ˜ðŸ˜
    Mine is due to install next week, is that a router setting to control WiFi for connected devices ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

deep1 wrote:
    Mine is due to install next week, is that a router setting to control WiFi for connected devices ?

Yes...it has it's own app to control load of stuff...I split the 2.4 and 5 ghz, setup scheduled down time for free devices...google gigabox and u shud get all info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭deep1

Yes...it has it's own app to control load of stuff...I split the 2.4 and 5 ghz, setup scheduled down time for free devices...google gigabox and u shud get all info

That’s handy, better than fiddling with router setting.

Advertisement