Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Broadband - Price Increase - Break Contract

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

chases0102 wrote: »
    Cheers - I personally haven't received any notice of this however?

They seem to roll it out in phases, presumably so they don't have to deal with a huge influx of cancellations all in one go.

Also I guess they can measure how many people cancel in the first phases to know how firm they can be when people try haggle in the later phases.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bonjurkes

chases0102 wrote: »
    Cheers - I personally haven't received any notice of this however?

Some customers are not affected by this, you can call 1908 and ask if you are affected with the increase or not to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Lovely, cheers. It seems like I won't be affected, which is strange! Asked them on Whats App.

Wonder was it only customers who joined within certain timeline or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

VM said the same to me last year that I wouldn’t be affected ,when I rang to cancel and within the same week I got the text to say the price increase. I’m sure you will get the text or email shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

noble00 wrote: »
    VM said the same to me last year that I wouldn’t be affected ,when I rang to cancel and within the same week I got the text to say the price increase. I’m sure you will get the text or email shortly
    its a bit hit and miss, as email states anyone who made changes since august wont be affected, so in my thinking people that get deals or call up will be excluded, but then again seems each year ive been hit previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Patser

Yay!!!

Just got my Virgin loyalty call, straight up offer of 9 months half price (€47), 3 at full (€94). So that saves all the hassle of changing gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I'm already out of contract so if I try to play the game and ring up to pretend cancel are they going to just cut me off there and then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

You give one month's notice. You are disconnected in 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

Just did the yearly dance with virgin.
    Rang up and gave 30 days notice of cancellation got offered a very poor deal 10e off my current bundle.
    So rang up again today less then 4 days from cancelling and said I was ringing sky was there any deals for me to stay.
    Was offered the 500mb full house package at half price for 9 months do thats me done for another year

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DrFunkatron

What's the loyalty number folks? Is it Irish people you're dealing with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

noble00 wrote: »

Conversely, my in-laws got a letter last year, when I rang to cancel/negotiate o was told the change didn't apply to the account.
    Although I received written notice of an increase, it was not possible to issue a written confirmation that there would be no increase.
    Pretty sure I had a rant on here at the time. I'm still angry/frustrated thinking about it.

What's the loyalty number folks? Is it Irish people you're dealing with?

Irish number rang me, lad called Damien but with a British accent - probably based in Ireland I'd guess though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭podge3

Patser wrote: »
    Irish number rang me, lad called Damien but with a British accent - probably based in Ireland I'd guess though.
    How long since you gave the cancellation notice?

podge3 wrote: »
    How long since you gave the cancellation notice?

About 2 weeks

Edit: correction, I actually posted about here, and that was on the 4th, so 9 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

Vodafone say they can run cable over the roof to attic office which is the hub for all systems. Having to re think VM now and asked for 2 week extension as cutoff was this weekend.

No calls from VM to ask if I wanted to stay or provide better offer

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

I gave VM notice last month and I am due to be cut on the 17th.
    Rang them today and the best they would do is €15 off a month, over 9 months. I have 360 BB and phone. Previous years they always gave me half price for 6 months. The reason they wont do better is that I have received the same 6 months discount deal over the last 3 years.

Has anyone had half price for 6 months over the last 3 years and got the same deal or better this time around?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Dazzy wrote: »
    Has anyone had half price for 6 months over the last 3 years and got the same deal or better this time around?

Past several years always got 6 months half price, got 9 months half price this past year
    Got no joy with some foreigner when calling this time, no deals in your area blah blah - tenner off for six months best he could do - so cancelled
    Week later got a call straight in with 9 months half price

fritzelly wrote: »
    Past several years always got 6 months half price, got 9 months half price this past year
    Got no joy with some foreigner when calling this time, no deals in your area blah blah - tenner off for six months best he could do - so cancelled
    Week later got a call straight in with 9 months half price

Thanks. I didn't get a call after giving 30 days notice so I rang them today. If there was a decent alternative I'd be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kevgaa

Cancelled last week. Got the call today and the lady asked can i make one last ditch offer to keep you. ( 250mb broadband, TV and phone )
    Opening offer was 6 months and I said i can get it cheaper with Sky was fully prepared to move unless I got 9 months. Her next offer was full 12 months half price with no price increase on a 12 month contract. :) Got the email confirmation also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

kevgaa wrote: »
    Cancelled last week. Got the call today and the lady asked can i make one last ditch offer to keep you. ( 250mb broadband, TV and phone )
    Opening offer was 6 months and I said i can get it cheaper with Sky was fully prepared to move unless I got 9 months. Her next offer was full 12 months half price with no price increase on a 12 month contract. :) Got the email confirmation also.

Damn, shoulda held out longer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ning

Switching to Vodafone - Siro 1Gb just being rolled out in my area at the same time as Virgin increase. 25 euros per month for 6 months for 1Gb + phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Ning wrote: »
    Switching to Vodafone - Siro 1Gb just being rolled out in my area at the same time as Virgin increase. 25 euros per month for 6 months for 1Gb + phone.

Any installation fee.?

Dazzy wrote: »
    I gave VM notice last month and I am due to be cut on the 17th.
    Rang them today and the best they would do is €15 off a month, over 9 months. I have 360 BB and phone. Previous years they always gave me half price for 6 months. The reason they wont do better is that I have received the same 6 months discount deal over the last 3 years.

Rang again today and was able to get half price for 6 months. It's getting harder each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

What are the current best Sky offers that can be used as leverage if one was to call up Virgin and say I'm going to break contract and move because of the increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

they have been calling me daily for 2 weeks now. Wish they would feck off.

they have been calling me daily for 2 weeks now. Wish they would feck off.

I tried to get a new deal and when I didn't get one I asked to cancel. I never received a follow up call.

Maybe the trick is just to ring, say its too expensive and cancel. That might trigger the call back with the best offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

There has been a definite decrease in my service since i gave notice of cancellation.

I know I'm leaving, but I'm still paying for the last month of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Got 15 off for 9 months. Have gotten better before but took the offer, mainly because I wasn't in the mood for a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Got 15 off for 9 months. Have gotten better before but took the offer, mainly because I wasn't in the mood for a fight.

I do sometimes feel the same myself :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

You're not alone
    Offer 1 - €10 off for 6 months
    Offer 2 - €15 off for 6 months
    Offer 3 - €15 off for 9 months

Above is on the 500MB Naked Broadband deal

Advertisement