Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney at the FAI Thread - (Mod Notes in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Cut taxpayer funding to the FAI, withdraw support for the FAI co-hosting Euro2020, withdraw support for Euro U21 bid.

Announce that and see how quickly the FAI capitulate. As mentioned above, the FAI have no card to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

The level of neck on display by them is quite incredible. The existing board needs to be utterly decimated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Nothing is surprising with the fai. This stuff has been going on for years, Conway and co know no different way of working. 14 years I believe on the board and was a part of everything that went wrong. Shouldn't be anywhere near the new board, for once Shane Ross is right on this one. They have ruined football in this country and seem intent on continuing to do so :(

It’s wonderful the way in which the FAI have mismanaged this so thoroughly that, 4 months after the story broke, they are still keeping it on the front page for all the wrong reasons. A child could point out that the Governance Report, while it does recommend that 1 or a maximum of 2 might consider putting themselves forward for a role in the new board, that’s far short of a recommendation that a President, who had indicated he would resign, would stay on in the same role.

If it was possible, they are even more alienated from the Minister and Sport Ireland than they were 3 months ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I know.

Lord Ross's idea that there should be an entirely new board is so stupid though that even the review group recommended that at least one of the existing board stay on for a year.

Conway has been the one selling the reforms in the roadshows around the country so he's pretty obviously the best one to stay on.

Is that you John?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Nesta99 wrote: »
    The most damning item in the Ross statement is this

"I understand that the upcoming AGM and EGM will consider a large number of amendments to the association's Rulebook, Constitution and Articles of Association. Included in these is a proposal that the quorum for the FAI board be reduced from six to two. This beggars belief".

I would agree with continuity of maybe 2 old board members staying for a spell but if quorum is 2 well whats the point of the entire review and almost a new board if two members can have a meeting and make policy, monetary or generally executive decions for all!?? It really does beggar belief!!

all about the transparency:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Just keep holding back money, that's all the ***** care about so starve them of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I just cant get over the brass neck of these FAI guys trying to reduce the quorum at meetings from 6 to 2. They are basically trying to install a dictatorship where 2 people control the agenda and direction and the others leave the room and see no evil and hear no evil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭shanec1928

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Just keep holding back money, that's all the ***** care about so starve them of it.
    looks like its gonna happen, Sports Ireland backing up ross statement

https://www.the42.ie/donal-conway-2-4728302-Jul2019/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

shanec1928 wrote: »
    looks like its gonna happen, Sports Ireland backing up ross statement

https://www.the42.ie/donal-conway-2-4728302-Jul2019/

Hopefully this will see Ireland kicked out of competition for political interference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Hopefully this will see Ireland kicked out of competition for political interference.

Yeah because its political interference that caused this mess:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would personally put up with a few years of Ireland being banned from international competition if it would sort out those corrupt bastards once and for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is it interference to remind somebody that they said they'd quit?

Ireland needs to be kicked out of competition for real change to happen. Supporters have been letting the FAI away with their behaviour and funding their largesse for years, saying that "the team deserves support" or other such nonsense, when really all it was about was drinking and having the craic on the terrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Depends on how FIFA see it. They make the rules and will enforce them whichever way they can, especially if the FAI contacted FIFA to say they were being pressured by the government to make changes. If that were to happen I hope the government don't back down and still keep insisting on change and holding back money until there's change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,787 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Depends on how FIFA see it. They make the rules and will enforce them whichever way they can, especially if the FAI contacted FIFA to say they were being pressured by the government to make changes. If that were to happen I hope the government don't back down and still keep insisting on change and holding back money until there's change.

Why the hell would FIFA ban Ireland from international competition? What kind of optics would that show?

This whole thing is more of a farce than it had originally started as. Absolutely no answers from the FAI around anything, no real knowledge of where exactly John Delaneys employment status currently sits, many reports pending, no sign of ANY changes in how this oranisation works and a complete disregard for the grass roots members of the organisation as well as the taxpayer and political establishment.
    The longer this goes on the more of a fudge there is.

If FIFA want to ban Ireland from whatever it is they want to ban us for, for investigating shady practices and shady governance maybe FIFA themselves need to be investigated further by the FBI/CIA/Interpol etc

kippy wrote: »
    Why the hell would FIFA ban Ireland from international competition? What kind of optics would that show?

This whole thing is more of a farce than it had originally started as. Absolutely no answers from the FAI around anything, no real knowledge of where exactly John Delaneys employment status currently sits, many reports pending, no sign of ANY changes in how this oranisation works and a complete disregard for the grass roots members of the organisation as well as the taxpayer and political establishment.
    The longer this goes on the more of a fudge there is.

If FIFA want to ban Ireland from whatever it is they want to ban us for, for investigating shady practices and shady governance maybe FIFA themselves need to be investigated further by the FBI/CIA/Interpol etc

They've banned other countries for government interference, a few African countries but with them I think the government actually did come in and take over the football association. FIFA then threaten you with expulsion from competitions until control is handed back to the people who were running the association.

So doubt FIFA would get involved with Ireland but they are there for associations if they feel that the government are trying to dictate how things are done and your last paragraph sums it up, the devil will look after it's own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the media banned from the egm.

The FAI when you think they couldnt stoop any lower, they somehow manage to do it.

re-reading Ross' letter, is it really badly worded why is asking Conway to withdraw his nomination, isn't that up to his nominators, he could withdraw his candidacy? or is Ross using the correct word?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

https://www.the42.ie/fai-oireachtas-4728710-Jul2019/
    "This all happened after Chair Fergus O’Dowd kicked off the meeting with a couple of bombshells. He revealed the FAI rang him on Sunday to offer him a private briefing, which he rejected with an invitation to say what they needed to say in public, before the Committee.

O’Dowd also read out a letter from the Soccer Writers Association of Ireland, flagging the fact that the FAI have denied media access to Saturday’s crucial EGM."

Private meeting with the Chairman of the Sports Committee.......only shows they have no intention of changing. They are still at the same messing.

Only thing fans can do is stay away from international games, stop buying merchandise and more protests. These morons really believe they can push all this to one side and continue. Only thing they understand empty bank accounts. I also hope LOI clubs are clever and insist on all Euro earnings being paid out within 24 hours of reaching the FAI account. My only fear is that the banks will hold the funds as the FAI seem to be close to bankrupt.

If you love football, LOI and school boys/girls leagues.....stay away and stop feeding the FAI and its sponsors.

https://www.the42.ie/fai-oireachtas-4728710-Jul2019/
    "This all happened after Chair Fergus O’Dowd kicked off the meeting with a couple of bombshells. He revealed the FAI rang him on Sunday to offer him a private briefing, which he rejected with an invitation to say what they needed to say in public, before the Committee.

O’Dowd also read out a letter from the Soccer Writers Association of Ireland, flagging the fact that the FAI have denied media access to Saturday’s crucial EGM."

they do this every year https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/fai-agm-leaves-unanswered-questions-413489.html
    Tully was one of 99 of those present eligible to vote, not that there anything of significance voted upon. Under Delaney’s tenure, he’s ensured any rule changes are taken care of well in advance at a routine emergency general meeting staged on a weekday in Dublin.

D14Rugby wrote: »

That holds for fans too. No one should buy a jersey or attend an international game until this is resolved satisfactorily.

That holds for fans too. No one should buy a jersey or attend an international game until this is resolved satisfactorily.

Go watch your local LOI team....they need the support and money more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Yeah well I meant in general. Approaching a decade now of not giving them a penny (bar via loi), though admittedly got a few free tickets (not from the FAI) for my sins.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement

https://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fifa-and-uefa-write-to-fai

The Secretary General of FIFA, Fatma Samoura, and the General Secretary of UEFA, Theodore Theodoridis, have today written a joint-communique to the FAI General Manager Noel Mooney.
    In their letter, FIFA and UEFA note that the Minister for Sport requested the FAI President Donal Conway to “withdraw [his] nomination for re-election at the upcoming [ordinary Congress] to allow for new leadership with credible reform credentials, in the best interests of football.”
    The letter continues: “FIFA and UEFA are seriously concerned regarding the aforementioned statement from the Minister for Sport. In this context, we draw your attention to art. 14 par. 1 let. i), 14 par. 3 and art. 19 of the FIFA Statutes as well as to art. 7bis par. 2 and art. 9 par. 1bis let. d of the UEFA Statutes, which oblige all member associations, including the FAI, to manage their affairs independently and without undue influence from any third party.
    “Failure to meet these obligations may lead to sanctions as provided for in the FIFA Statutes and UEFA Statutes respectively, including a possible suspension, even if the third party influence was not the fault of the member association concerned.
    “In this context, we kindly request that you communicate the foregoing to the relevant authorities and keep us closely informed on further developments regarding the matter at hand. We thank you for taking note of the above.”
    The letter to the FAI will be discussed by the Board of the Association at its meeting tomorrow in Meath ahead of the EGM at the Dunboyne Castle Hotel. The letter has been forwarded to Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Shane Ross.

Well now that isnt a suprise is it.......wonder how many calls were made to make sure Conway stays on the board.
    If FIFA/UEFA dont want the government involved.....then surely the FAI dont want the tax payers money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This is the FAI's trump card. They know they can be as arrogant and contemptuous towards the government as they want, and if the government fires back then they can get daddy FIFA to step in and slap them down.

The FAI are banking on the government to step back once FIFA barks loudly, and sadly I suspect they are right in that prediction.

I really don't see how things can be improved. They have the sport by the balls and they know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Hopefully the joe and Josephine soaps walk away in huge numbers. Weaken them from the inside out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭secman

This is the FAI's trump card. They know they can be as arrogant and contemptuous towards the government as they want, and if the government fires back then they can get daddy FIFA to step in and slap them down.

The FAI are banking on the government to step back once FIFA barks loudly, and sadly I suspect they are right in that prediction.

I really don't see how things can be improved. They have the sport by the balls and they know it.

This is sports Ireland trump card, clean your house up FAI or be suspended by FIFA and UEFA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I think it's a question of who would people be angry with if ROI was suspended by UEFA/FIFA.

Right now, the FAI would take the blame, and as long as that's the case, it's not a trump card for them.

• Advertisement

Thinking more about it I doubt that Ireland would get suspended from international competitions by FIFA and UEFA. Didn't UEFA lend money to the FAI to see them through the current times, with funds being held back by SI and the government then the only way for the FAI to make money and pay back UEFA is by playing matches and trying to qualify for tournaments.

Hopefully someone from government calls their bluff and just tells FIFA and UEFA to go **** yourself and not back down.

Ross should have left out the last line of this, not asked Conaway to withdraw but remind him he repeatedly said he wouldn't stand

I think the FAI may have thought the threat of suspension from FIFA would ultimately quash the possibility of being forced to toe the line. But they have cocked it up so much that everyone would see a FIFA sanction as the fault of the FAI rather than the Government. I think many would almost welcome a suspension because it wouldn’t increase the pressure on the Government at all, it would actually increase the flak aimed at the FAI.

If I was Shane Ross I’d sand back a 3 word response, as follows...

“And? So what?”

i think most would blame Ross, looks at the comment under articles a lot of distain for Ross despite what FAI head honchos have done, even with this letter i think suspension is unlikely, Ross letter played into FAI hands.

If FIFA/UEFA have a problem, the state should withdraw all funding for the FAI immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

irishgeo wrote: »
    the media banned from the egm.

The FAI when you think they couldnt stoop any lower, they somehow manage to do it.

This may not be a popular angle but I will go back to a previous point I made. I think it is possible that the FAI are between a rock and a hard place at the moment. If the say or do anything in the public domain then they are over a barrel with the legalities on the former CEO. Changes may have to be made to their 'constitution' that would encourage questions that cant be answered at this time.

Conway's reputation and credibility as an individual and 'leader' of an association is being decimated. Imo the only people that stick are people that have an endgame - smells blood and wants to go in for the kill. Maybe he has been waiting for this for years, hoping that things would catch up on the former CEO. When some similar heat was on the CEO in relation to oddities with Olympic tickets there was a very quick distancing. Conway is doing the opposite which is piquing some intrigue for me.

He isnt a stupid individual and a times has been exasperated in public - but not so much by questions as the inability for him to answer questions. JD was flanked by his solicitor at the PAC enquiry. He tried to supress all of this (via family court ffs). He has tried to bully even the British media on the rebel song drunken night. This guy is obsessed with abusing the law to wrangle his way through. It is hence plausible that he has the FAI tied up in legal knots. Nothing can be said until all investigations are done and dusted.

That Conway/FAI sought a private meeting with the Minister for Sport may well have been a 'keep the powder dry' type meeting!?

The fly in the ointment is the press release on FIFA/UEFA threats which comes across as a direct challange to SI/PAC et al. They didnt need to stick that up on FAI.IE as they did. But some smoke and daggers in play?

I will hedge my bets that in the months to come all the pieces will fall in to place and the Dick 'Conway' Dastardly at the moment could be the key to saving the FAI a load of cash from a payout to the EVP with green fingers. It currently looks bad for Conway but in time we could be singing his praises!!

If we are relying on Conway to be the savior then we are well and truly ****ed.
    ****ed beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Fifa on abt government interference this from another corrupt organisation who got paid by the quatar hierarchy to hand a work cup to Qatar. Jokeshop fifa showed delaney how things got done

Having had a few pints and a sleep, I am now in a position to think again....

1. The state withdrew financial support and the FAI needed a UEFA loan

2. The FAI are still not being open and indeed are still hiding behind so called audits

3. Questions are still open regarding criminal charges being pressed.

As I see it someone within the FAI made a call (maybe Mooney) to try and get the FIFA/UEFA lads to give the government a slap on the wrist for not rolling over and accepting what Conway and his gravy train mates want. If the government are seen to be interfering then very simple solution.....Do not reinstate funding, stop all projects asap and let the FAI work without the tax payers money. It would only be a matter of time until the go belly up.......

Additionally....anyone who spends money on FAI merchandise or tickets (home or away) should be taken out and shot. These cowboys have to starved of the one thing they all really love....cash.

Taken out and shot :eek::o

FAI get nothing from away tickets but not spening money on home tickets /merchandise is a good start.Also should be making it known that all FAI sponsors will be boycotted.

• Advertisement

A big issue for the FAI is the withdrawal of grants from SI but possibly an even bigger problem is the money they were to be given from government funds for projects.
    There are a few in the pipeline that could very easily be stopped.
    5m needed for LR for some upgrades for Euro 2020 matches,where will that cash come from if Ross and crew take a hard stance .

yabadabado wrote: »
    Taken out and shot :eek::o

FAI get nothing from away tickets but not spening money on home tickets /merchandise is a good start.Also should be making it known that all FAI sponsors will be boycotted.
    yabadabado wrote: »
    A big issue for the FAI is the withdrawal of grants from SI but possibly an even bigger problem is the money they were to be given from government funds for projects.
    There are a few in the pipeline that could very easily be stopped.
    5m needed for LR for some upgrades for Euro 2020 matches,where will that cash come from if Ross and crew take a hard stance .

1. The FAI get publicity from away fans. The fact that so many travel means they have a market for selling sponsorship

2. 5m will be given by UEFA if needed....just the normal Joe Soap will forget that the money will have to be repaid at a later date

Fans have to stay away from everything FAI related....additionally they have to express their disgust in the press etc.. If junior football and LOI want to survive they have to start speaking up....

Bar tournaments we dont have large numbers following us away.

More stuff in Sunday's paper about FAI funds being used for JDs 50th birthday party and a piece about how gaurds tried to hack a fans what's app group over fears of protests against our glorious leader, according to the head of security for the FAI.

Could be what finally finishes him off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Could be what finally finishes him off.

How many times has that been said and he's still around until the next scandal breaks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

More stuff in Sunday's paper about FAI funds being used for JDs 50th birthday party and a piece about how gaurds tried to hack a fans what's app group over fears of protests against our glorious leader, according to the head of security for the FAI.

Which paper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Which paper?

Sunday Times. If you don't subscribe, the front page with the story is viewable on Broadsheet.ie

doncarlos wrote: »
    How many times has that been said and he's still around until the next scandal breaks?

Looks like there may have been criminal offences committed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Looks like there may have been criminal offences committed.

We have been seeing posts like the above on this thread for months now.

And still nothing.

Advertisement