Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spain this summer (MOD WARNING IN POST 1)

Options
  • 14-06-2020 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Hello all, Just wondering does anyone have any knowledge as to when Ireland may be permitted to travel to Spain, or its islands for the summer of 2020. I cannot see any reason currently why Ireland could not be allowed to travel to the Canarys, Balearics, or even parts of the mainland with low infection rates.
    The news today that Spain will just reopen to the Schengen area on June 21st is disappointing. Why are we aligned with the U.K., if we are indeed a separate country with much lower infection rates, especially if they are leaving the EU?
    The rate of Covid on the island of Ireland is very low, are our government actively not pursuing these arrangements or air bridges to try to 'force' people to book here at rip off prices or do countries not want us as they see us as being vulnerable to increased infection to the U.K.

WARNING: This thread is for discussion of travel. The debate on whether or not you should travel is in the Covid forum here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1865&order=desc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Carol25 wrote: »
    Hello all, Just wondering does anyone have any knowledge as to when Ireland may be permitted to travel to Spain, or its islands for the summer of 2020. I cannot see any reason currently why Ireland could not be allowed to travel to the Canarys, Balearics, or even parts of the mainland with low infection rates.
    The news today that Spain will just reopen to the Schengen area on June 21st is disappointing. Why are we aligned with the U.K., if we are indeed a separate country with much lower infection rates, especially if they are leaving the EU?
    The rate of Covid on the island of Ireland is very low, are our government actively not pursuing these arrangements or air bridges to try to 'force' people to book here at rip off prices or do countries not want us as they see us as being vulnerable to increased infection to the U.K.

Land border
    We're not part of schengen

• Registered Users Posts: 81,471 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

1st July might be next window.
    However, restrictions will remain in place for visitors from Ireland and the UK until at least 1 July.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0614/1147372-coronavirus-europe/

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

Land border
    We're not part of schengen

Yes but we’re part of the EU. Also the North’s case numbers are very low as they’re following closely what we’re doing.

I read this article, it seems cabinet will meet in 2 weeks to ‘review’ once again. What shape this cabinet will take remains in question as it could well be a new government. My worry is they’ll keep kicking the can down the road and before we know it, summers over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

I'm due to fly to Spain on the 6th of July but after reading that article I'm not sure that will even be possible as the 1st of July date seems up in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Indeed, prolong the decision forcing us to staycation to get the economy moving. I for one will be either in Lanzarote or nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrtm17

I'm thinking of booking the algarve or canerys in augest,surely the 2 week quartine will be over by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

missus and kids are flying on 15july to Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

missus and kids are flying on 15july to Spain
    very optimistic I’d say.

Ridiculous that they are opening up the border with no quarantine even though they currently have 300 to 400 new cases of coronavirus a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

Ridiculous that they are opening up the border with no quarantine even though they currently have 300 to 400 new cases of coronavirus a day.

Their economy depends on tourism. They can't keep their borders closed forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

dodzy wrote: »
    very optimistic I’d say.

Why...Ryanair changed return flight..originally due to return on July 29 now returning July 30. Other than that can’t see any reason why not...Spain will be open to schengen region from June 22 and rest of Europe from July 1st.

Yes there is travel advise for essential travel only..at the moment I expect that to change in light of rest of Europe for tourism...if airlines are flying and other countries are allowing travel to Ireland I don’t see what the issue is

• Registered Users Posts: 41 brighterspark

ASOT wrote: »
    I'm due to fly to Spain on the 6th of July but after reading that article I'm not sure that will even be possible as the 1st of July date seems up in the air.

I think it might be worth checking other media reports as from what I have seen it is all Eu countries + Schengen that can now travel at the earlier date. Hope I am right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Absolute horseshít, 48 new cases today and the number has been around 40-60 for about a week or more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

I think it might be worth checking other media reports as from what I have seen it is all Eu countries + Schengen that can now travel at the earlier date. Hope I am right!

Yeah I have been looking around and I should be fine for the 6th by the looks of things!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

Indeed, prolong the decision forcing us to staycation to get the economy moving. I for one will be either in Lanzarote or nowhere.

A staycation is just so depressing to me. I would end up paying crazy prices and end up being stuck inside my hotel room half the time with the rain and wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

NotMOL wrote: »
    A staycation is just so depressing to me. I would end up paying crazy prices and end up being stuck inside my hotel room half the time with the rain and wind.

First world problems !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Ireland and the UK will also be allowed into Spain from the 21st June.

"Government sources confirmed on Sunday evening that despite having left the bloc earlier this year, the United Kingdom is still considered an EU member state given that it is in a transition period and enjoys full membership rights. This means that UK travelers will also be able to enter Spain from June 21."

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_news/2020-06-14/spain-will-reopen-borders-to-eu-states-on-june-21-prime-minister-pedro-sanchez-tells-regional-chiefs.html

Nowhere, is that in Cavan?

3 miles outside Virginia. €150 per night per person. Room only.

• Advertisement

This is a very inaccurate and misleading report from RTE - In fact we can now travel from June 21! - very poor journalism - I nearly cancelled my accommodation and it would have been a very costly mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

We have an open border to the UK in the north, that’s the reason

This is a very inaccurate and misleading report from RTE - In fact we can now travel from June 21! - very poor journalism - I nearly cancelled my accommodation and it would have been a very costly mistake!

It's more than likely misleading and inaccurate on purpose.

RTE is the state broadcaster, the state don't want us leaving the country therefore they will peddle it whichever way they can to make you stay at home.

People buying €2 Dorada in The Bodhran in Peurto Del Carmen doesn't get the Irish economy moving.

RTE is the state broadcaster, the state don't want us leaving the country therefore they will peddle it whichever way they can to make you stay at home.

People buying €2 Dorada in The Bodhran in Peurto Del Carmen doesn't get the Irish economy moving.

Why not get a self catering option in Ireland and get the beer even cheaper at the off licence enroute?

Why not get a self catering option in Ireland and get the beer even cheaper at the off licence enroute?

2 words - The Weather

That thought also crossed my mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

The economic damage is now far outweighing the health damage. There will be no problem with holidays booked from July on. No way we are going back to a lockdown situation. Book your holiday with confidence.

On the whole why are we not in shengen when we are in the EU and the UK isn't well a slight difficulty for you getting into and out of Spain is preferred to putting up hundreds of km of 12 foot high fences and regular guard towers along the border. Live with it

Thanks for all the info, I have also come to the realisation from reading different media sites to the RTE report that we are not prohibited from entering. The RTE report is definitely deliberately misleading.
    As for the border with the north, i was just pointing out that NI has been following the Irish Covid policy unofficially now for weeks and their numbers are also quite low now. Therefore shouldn’t be used as a barrier to entry to other countries.

Yes but we’re part of the EU. Also the North’s case numbers are very low as they’re following closely what we’re doing.

We chose to opt out of shengen. It's on us.

Like the UK moaning that brexit means they can't benefit from the EU anymore.

• Advertisement

Cause it will be raining

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement