Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spain this summer (MOD WARNING IN POST 1)

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

You made the claim. It’s Up to you to provide backup to this claim.

Those two articles you linked are the same.
    Also there is nothing definitive in what you posted. It’s all ifs buts and maybes...

Anything else to back up the nonsense you posted?

Much apologies, obviously a random person on the Internet like you knows much more about the effects of a novel virus than eminent neurologists and institutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭finbarrk

bladespin wrote: »
    Not as much as you might think.

You don't though, probably should but it's optional, if/when they publish their green list then the recommendation will be removed for those countries.

But if you return from a country that’s not on this ‘Green List’, and you work in an environment with other workers, they won’t want you returning to work without doing the 2 weeks.

finbarrk wrote: »
    But if you return from a country that’s not on this ‘Green List’, and you work in an environment with other workers, they won’t want you returning to work without doing the 2 weeks.

What they want and what they get are two different things. It's a recommendation, not a legal requirement. My doctor advises me too eat more salads and excircise. My boss doesn't make me.

A, If I travel on a bus to Dublin city centre, go shopping and then travel home on the bus. I do this daily. I wear a mask on the bus, people seeing me are not wearing masks when shopping.

B, travel in a plane to a Spanish Town and stay there then travel back. At all times everyone is wearing a mask.

How is B more dangerous than A?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Have to say the thought of wearing a mask for the duration of my holiday everywhere except beaches is not enticing...looking at cancellation options.

With all due respect, that attitude is exactly the type of people we dont want in Spain. Do you wear a mask in Ireland? People who dont are increasing the risk of spreading the virus to others. Its a very selfish thing not to do and should be made in to law.

Face masks are one of the reasons the virus rate plummeted here. Its a common sense thing that the Irish government has dropped the ball on.

Its a pleasure to see the solidarity here. Anyone who doesn't abide by the rules, if they're lucky, gets challenged by other members of the public. If they're not so lucky, the cops get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

faceman wrote: »
    With all due respect, that attitude is exactly the type of people we dont want in Spain. Do you wear a mask in Ireland? People who dont are increasing the risk of spreading the virus to others. Its a very selfish thing not to do and should be made in to law.

Face masks are one of the reasons the virus rate plummeted here. Its a common sense thing that the Irish government has dropped the ball on.

Its a pleasure to see the solidarity here. Anyone who doesn't abide by the rules, if they're lucky, gets challenged by other members of the public. If they're not so lucky, the cops get involved.

I don’t know why you’ve taken such offence to my post. I don’t think people should have to wear a facemask outdoors in the 30+c heat when social distancing can be maintained. It sends out the wrong message to me that things aren’t as under control as they might like. Took the hit and moved the flights, was so pleasantly surprised by our accommodation hosts too with their help.
    And yes I do wear them here in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I don’t know why you’ve taken such offence to my post. I don’t think people should have to wear a facemask outdoors in the 30+c heat when social distancing can be maintained. It sends out the wrong message to me that things aren’t as under control as they might like. Took the hit and moved the flights, was so pleasantly surprised by our accommodation hosts too with their help.
    And yes I do wear them here in Ireland.

The only areas of Spain where you have to wear masks outdoors are the Balearics and Catalonia. Masks don’t have to be worn in other regions outdoors is social distancing can be maintained. Some regions may introduce it, but at this point in time it’s not in force.

Thank you for wearing your mask in Ireland. You’re one of the good ones.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Whatever rule we have in the Republic goes out the window now that Northern Ireland have exemptions. Absolute madness. Let's see how Mr Ryan deals with that. The mind boggles!

The NI rule now means the Republics advice is useless. I can now drive to Belfast and fly from there to Spain and back and when I return I don't have to quarantine anywhere.

And Im sure there wont be any issues with Insurance either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭bladespin

They may not but that’s a separate issue for the employer (if it applies at all), legally there is no obligation.

As seen here there are many happy to isolate on return, it suits them, I think there is one planning on remote working from Spain (would love that tbh).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭johnire

I’d agree with you on this. My work place did an internal survey and 98% of staff said they would not be happy working with anyone who had gone on holiday and returned to work directly. So it’s not that simple really of you just deciding to do your own thing. A week in the sun isn’t really worth p***ing of your work colleagues and management-after all this is what funds your lifestyle and you work with them for the other 51 weeks of the year.
    BTW -please don’t shoot the messenger-I’m only relaying an informal survey done internally in a large multinational workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭facehugger99

johnire wrote: »
    I’d agree with you on this. My work place did an internal survey and 98% of staff said they would not be happy working with anyone who had gone on holiday and returned to work directly. So it’s not that simple really of you just deciding to do your own thing. A week in the sun isn’t really worth p***ing of your work colleagues and management-after all this is what funds your lifestyle and you work with them for the other 51 weeks of the year.
    BTW -please don’t shoot the messenger-I’m only relaying an informal survey done internally in a large multinational workplace.

Thankfully they have no right to know your private business.

So it is that simple of doing your own thing.

• Advertisement

It’s not really that simple unfortunately. It’s easy for anyone to know that a colleague has been on holidays especially if you have kids. Also by virtue of the fact that you are basically hiding the fact you’ve been abroad straightaway leads to accusations that you know you’ve done something you shouldn’t have. If you’ve nothing to hide then why not just be honest? Believe you me all these issues were widely debated but the overwhelming response was that a week in the sun wasn’t going to be worth the grief when you return to work.

Thankfully they have no right to know your private business.

So it is that simple of doing your own thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Micheal Martin just now reiterated his concern at cases emerging from travel.

Going by the sound bytes I can't foresee and restricting of the travel "restrictions" on July 20th. They may announce some countries on the Green List that day but they will probably delay "allowing" travel to there until August at least.

So basically if you follow the government's guidelines you as an Irish citizen cannot leave the country but if you are foreign citizen you are more than welcome to come in for a holiday or to join up with your 14 Iraqi family members who selected Ireland as their economic refugee destination of choice.

I'm off to Northern Spain in a few weeks time on the motorbike. I'll be wearing my mask whilst out in public and on the ferry outside my cabin.

There are loads of Americans coming and going everyday in and out of Dublin and Shannon airports with no fcuks given by our government and they want to limit me travelling within the European Union and have me stay home.

Green list or no green list I'll be out of here in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

Facemasks. Obligatory use. You know what's coming.

Andalucía looking very likely to make on-street use of them obligatory by early next week. The regional head of government there highlighted that there appears to be a feeling of "tourism phobia" among locals in some districts upon seeing tourists arriving in and roaming without face coverings. Not a good vibe so I'm guessing they feel obligatory use will quell that.

I personally know of a few people who have travelled to Spain recently and experienced “tourism phobia” like you mentioned. Not so much in the hotels but definitely whilst out and about. In one incident in Gran Canaria they were heckled and told go home to where you came from. Not a pleasant experience. The people I’ve spoken with said that overall they just felt tolerated rather than welcomed.
    JuanJose wrote: »
    Facemasks. Obligatory use. You know what's coming.

Andalucía looking very likely to make on-street use of them obligatory by early next week. The regional head of government there highlighted that there appears to be a feeling of "tourism phobia" among locals in some districts upon seeing tourists arriving in and roaming without face coverings. Not a good vibe so I'm guessing they feel obligatory use will quell that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭facehugger99

johnire wrote: »
    I personally know of a few people who have travelled to Spain recently and experienced “tourism phobia” like you mentioned. Not so much in the hotels but definitely whilst out and about. In one incident in Gran Canaria they were heckled and told go home to where you came from. Not a pleasant experience. The people I’ve spoken with said that overall they just felt tolerated rather than welcomed.

Sounds like bullsh;t to me.

Many areas of Spain would be fcuked without tourism income.

They'll be delighted to see visitors arriving I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Just been announced that Andalusia(Málaga region) will require mask be worn at all times, even on the street where social distancing is possible.

Comes in to effect from either Tuesday/ Wednesday.

A big part of holidays for me is walking and exploring, this doesn't really go hand in hand with having to wear a mask in 30 degree heat 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Damiencm wrote: »
    Just been announced that Andalusia(Málaga region) will require mask be worn at all times, even on the street where social distancing is possible.
    Comes in to effect from either Tuesday/ Wednesday.
    A big part of holidays for me is walking and exploring, this doesn't really go hand in hand with having to wear a mask in 30 degree heat 

True, I'd rather go somewhere else than have to walk around in the sun and sea breeze with a surgeon's mask on..

It’s not actually bullsh;t as you so eloquently put it.
    It’s fact. Of course many areas of Spain would be fcuked without tourism income-no one is disputing that. But equally there are going to be many locals who aren’t overly keen of having tourists in their locality. Like I said the people I’ve spoken with who are now back from Spain said the whilst hotel/waiting staff weren’t rude they certainly weren’t over friendly or helpful. And yes they did experience aggression whilst out for a walk one evening.
    Overall they had a nice time but they said they wouldn’t be rushing back. I thought it was interesting to hear from people who had gone just to hear what it’s like in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

It's a double-edged sword if ever there was one.

Would many areas be fcuked without tourism here? Undoubtedly.

Would they be delighted to see visitors arrive? Well, anyone who earns a crust in the tourism sector directly or indirectly would. But anyone who doesn't would, I think, have a natural concern at tourists arriving for the potential of carrying something other than just the euros in their pocket with them.

Somewhere like Killarney, I'm sure, is facing a similar dilemma. Nothing easy in this for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I've been following this guy on youtube. He is quite knowledgeable about how things are going in Spain regarding masks, rules, regulations, targeted lockdowns, new outbreaks etc. Updates nearly every day. Might be interesting for some of you out there....

I note from the latest video that 40,000 police are being deployed to ensure the rules are observed in Spain, OK so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA4vaFnal1I

• Advertisement

During my time there I would say about 90% wore masks. About another 10% wore them wrong either only covering their mouth or too loose and down by their chin.

I was in a rural area with very little police around so enforcement isn't really a worry. I didn't see anyone pass comment to those ignoring the rules either.

Still, people were by and large observant and maintained distance, etc. Unlike the woman in Aldi yesterday who actually walked up beside me so close we were physically touching so she could take the disinfectant from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Much apologies, obviously a random person on the Internet like you knows much more about the effects of a novel virus than eminent neurologists and institutions.

Right so. Apologies accepted.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Slice of life from Spain. Social distancing on the beach and the police keeping order. Beaches are more pleasant now

https://imgur.com/gallery/I1I1nse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

faceman wrote:
    Slice of life from Spain. Social distancing on the beach and the police keeping order. Beaches are more pleasant now

Looks lovely and far safer than Spanish Arch. Kilkee etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Dante7 wrote: »
    You just deleted a post about the current situation in Spain that I took time out of my holiday to post. If posts about the covid situation in Spain aren't allowed, there is no point in having a thread about travel in Spain. I won't be wasting anymore of my time posting here again.

That'd be great, thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I think this thread has run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement