Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

laneykin wrote: »
    Is anywhere showing the Under 20s game tonight? TG4 had great coverage of the competition last year but don't see anything on there for tonight.

Not on KCLR either.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭laneykin

Not on KCLR either.

Kilkenny GAA on twitter are doing updates. Half time score KK 2-08 to Laois 0-06 so going well so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭brookville

Took a while to get going but turned things on in the 2nd half.Its good yo get the win and a game before Galway.We were cold last year so hopefully this game will bring us on.Mullen very good tonight.shefflin with a couple of long range scores.Eoin cody also dangerous.The big test now is against galway it should be a good match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

What was the score

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭kksaints

What was the score

Kilkenny 5-21 Laois 0-10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

laneykin wrote: »
    Kilkenny GAA on twitter are doing updates. Half time score KK 2-08 to Laois 0-06 so going well so far

Final score: KK 5-21, Laois 0-10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

What a pity for the two sets of supporters that the minor match is on so early they will have to leave there respective Counties early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭blackcard

Laois played with a sweeper which meant that KK had a spare man at the back. Adrian Mullen wasn't on the ball a lot but scored 2 good goals and brought a good save from the Laois keeper
    Eoin Cody was the next best forward getting 4 points from play. The best part of Kilkenny was that the goals were well worked. Aaron Brennan, Ciaran Brennan and Sean Ryan looked lively when they came on and I would like to see a couple of these start the next day. Evan Shefflin got 3 points from play. Hard to judge the backs as they had a spare man but Conor Flynn looked good to me. The last 10 minutes was shooting practice for KK but up to that they had hit 11 wides and will have to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Comerman

Thought Flynn was good on the ball too and showed a good turn of speed. Brasil and Shefflin got on a lot of ball and used their head when in possession (most of the time) and both covered some amount of ground.

Work to do no doubt but it was a no win situation tonight we were expected to win.Eoin cody is very stylish and could have a great future.galway as always will be strong and may be even with their seniors finished it might work better for them.When is the galway match fixed for i thought I seen it was next week would that be right so close after the leinster senior final?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Given how limerick have integrated alot of youngsters into the panel last year at young ages does anyone know if any of these lads have been in and around the seniors bar the names that Stick out? And should they be introduced at an early stage or play through the age groups in the senior set up like Cork with Coleman, fitzgibbon and now Dalton and limerick with the likes of Hayes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭therealdonster

Garyp88 wrote: »
    Given how limerick have integrated alot of youngsters into the panel last year at young ages does anyone know if any of these lads have been in and around the seniors bar the names that Stick out? And should they be introduced at an early stage or play through the age groups in the senior set up like Cork with Coleman, fitzgibbon and now Dalton and limerick with the likes of Hayes etc

Cody has spoken in the past about his preference for players having a proper "education" at underage level before their introduction to the senior ranks. Obviously there are some exceptions such as Mullen who is physically ready to compete at senior inter county level.

This team does have a few good finishers whom will all hopefully serve us well in the years to come. The Galway game will be an interesting and season defining clash for this team whom in my opinion were harshly done by an incorrect square ball decision when they clashed in an AI semi final at minor level. Hopefully they can avenge that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

A Few stats from game
    N Brassil 0-7 (5f); A Mullen 2-0; S Donnelly 1-1; E Cody 0-4; S Ryan, J Bergin 1-0 each; E Shefflin 0-3; E O'Shea, C Brennan 0-2 each; D Blanchfield, A Brennan 0-1 .
    D Mason; T Ronan, C Flynn, M Butler; C Heary, M Carey, D Blanchfield; J Dowd, E Shefflin; E O'Shea, N Brassil, A Mullen; S Donnelly, J Bergin, E Cody. Subs: A Brennan for Dowd (43), C Brennan for Bergin (49), S Ryan for Mullen (53), J Brennan for Heary (53), J Molloy for O'Shea (55).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Grats

Eoin Cody was the best player on view. He was involved in most, if not all, of the five goals and his work rate and skill shown were outstanding throughout. Plenty of skillful forwards but backs looked dodgy where a big improvenemt is required against Galway on Wednesday of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Grats wrote: »
    Eoin Cody was the best player on view. He was involved in most, if not all, of the five goals and his work rate and skill shown were outstanding throughout. Plenty of skillful forwards but backs looked dodgy where a big improvenemt is required against Galway on Wednesday of next week.

Cody had an excellent first half and was most definitely the most dangerous looking forward throughout and along with Eoin O'Shea who got through a mountain of work they impressed me most. Thought Conor Flynn was very good too and for a big man he has some serious pace. Tommy Ronan was far too rash with some of his tackles at times and and given that both him and Butler are small in stature it would def be an area you would think the Galway team might target that in the full back line next day out.

Carey was the spare man and covered the ground reasonably well but needs to add urgency to his game. At times he was far too lackadaisical and ended up getting caught in possession or first touch let him down but he def has the hurling in him to make it. Mullen took goals well and had few nice touches/passes but just glad he seem to come through the game injury free although was given a ice pack i would assume that was just precuationary. Brasil has incredible pace and is someone I would like to see given a proper run for seniors but reckon he will be doing extremely well to force his way into to team at this time of the year.

Galway match is fixed for th e 3rd of July according to Leinster GAA website....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Under-20's first half was only ok.
    Second half very good and some great long range point scoring combined with well created and finished goals.
    What I did like was the players were confident enough to play through the lines from the short puck out.
    Only twice can I remember it breaking down. Once in the first half when Conor Heary ran into trouble and once in the second when Mikey Carey got caught. But overall it was good to watch the slick handpassing. DJ's stint with the minor footballers obviously transferring into a more modern style of moving the ball for hurling. Dare I say Limerick-style. Short passing out of defence followed by long range point scoring.
    Tommy Ronan was lucky that Mikey Butler got yellow card in the wrong in the first half. Mullen was at half pace only.
    Interesting that only one player from a junior club on the 24 and 13 from senior on the starting 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭laneykin

Buff Egan has good videos of the game up on Snapchat for anyone that wants to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 takeyourpoint

Good win for the U20s last night – job done but not without work to be done before the Galway game. We seem to have an abundance of forwards but the backs look a little suspect and will have to improve a lot against better opposition. Junior club players are obviously considered not good enough for intercounty hurling. Where will the Galway match be played?

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Second half very good and some great long range point scoring combined with well created and finished goals.
    What I did like was the players were confident enough to play through the lines from the short puck out.
    Only twice can I remember it breaking down. Once in the first half when Conor Heary ran into trouble and once in the second when Mikey Carey got caught. But overall it was good to watch the slick handpassing. DJ's stint with the minor footballers obviously transferring into a more modern style of moving the ball for hurling. Dare I say Limerick-style. Short passing out of defence followed by long range point scoring.
    Tommy Ronan was lucky that Mikey Butler got yellow card in the wrong in the first half. Mullen was at half pace only.
    Interesting that only one player from a junior club on the 24 and 13 from senior on the starting 15.[/quot

Four or five clubs provided the bulk of players for the U20's but then you look at this year's minor team and there is a nice mix of senior, intermediate and junior clubs represented there. These things generally change from year to year.

The best players should be picked regardless of club in my opinion. I do like it when there are as many as clubs as possible represented though as it says a lot about the strength of depth of club hurling in the county. I don't buy the argument that playing junior should be an impediment to making a county team. There is little between the top of junior and most intermediate teams and the same then between the cream of inter and the bulk of senior. There is a gap though between the top teams in senior and the rest IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Wexford player Aidan Nolan has been given a two-match ban for his sending off at the end of game against us

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/aidan-nolan-to-miss-leinster-final-after-match-clock-confusion-1.3937084

Quick turnaround next Wednesday night for the galway match.I presume that match will be in tullamore.it'll be intresting to see how the defence holds up next weekend but we seemed to handpass the ball around and play smart ball inside to our fowards.have to be very impressed with eoin cody he could be something serious.im sure he'll be well watched against galway but we have a good spread of fowards thankfully we seem to be producing some good fowards underage.Hopefully cody can see league time next year for the seniors.
    On the senior match this weekend the prize for the winner is huge.last year the draw really took the sting out of us plus losing wally really hampered us.If we could squeeze a win sunday and end up in the ladt 4 who knows what could happen especially if we were to get our best 15 on the field.
    Aidan nolan will be a loss coming on he brings a big physical presence but jack o connor will probably start he was very good when he came on.Wexford will also try to nullify padraigs influence.
    On ourselves not much info from the camp deegan was a loss as he does a job for us and can be a good man marker.James maher could nearly start and i wouldnt be suprised to see a aylward or blanchfield start.Hopefully now we get a good 70 mins performance from the lads especially up front.Mullen will probably be quieter so we need wally and whoever else to really step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Wexford player Aidan Nolan has been given a two-match ban for his sending off at the end of game against us

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/aidan-nolan-to-miss-leinster-final-after-match-clock-confusion-1.3937084

According to off the ball it's a 2 game ban instead of 1 as he was also sent off in the super 11 event in Boston last November.

Galway match is fixed for th e 3rd of July according to Leinster GAA website....

According to the kk gaa website the match is on next Thursday evening in tullamore at 7.30.Just thinking it'll be 3 matches for mullen in the week.its not great planning from the gaa when consider the timing of the leinster final surely this could of being spread out a bit I dont there's that much of panic to play it.

Congrats to the ground staff at nowlan park voted best pitch for the second year in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

Where are the Upper Hogan for sale, Billy?

Tickets.ie have only Upper Cusack for sale so far.

Upper hogan on tickets.ie at the minute if you are still looking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭BQQ

I have a ticket for the Hogan, but now my daughter wants to go and they only sell kids tickets for Cusack and Davin

Anyone know if you can change a ticket in gaa ticket office or will I have to try and swap with someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭blackcard

Anyone know what the story what the story regarding season ticket holders is? Normally for matches at Croke Park, you are notified to go onto the website to print your ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭bamayang

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Interesting that only one player from a junior club on the 24 and 13 from senior on the starting 15.[/quot

Four or five clubs provided the bulk of players for the U20's but then you look at this year's minor team and there is a nice mix of senior, intermediate and junior clubs represented there. These things generally change from year to year.

The best players should be picked regardless of club in my opinion. I do like it when there are as many as clubs as possible represented though as it says a lot about the strength of depth of club hurling in the county. I don't buy the argument that playing junior should be an impediment to making a county team. There is little between the top of junior and most intermediate teams and the same then between the cream of inter and the bulk of senior. There is a gap though between the top teams in senior and the rest IMO.

For the minor team that started against Offaly there was only one senior club player. Very unusual when you think of numbers and dominance city (senior) clubs have had recently on minor grade.

• Advertisement

I was reading today paddy deegan took part in training last weekend and damien reck is a doubt for wexford.I dunno how reliable this is i think it was on the independent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement