Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Completely disagree. While the game is constantly evolving the basics will stay the same the ability to get the ball into your hand at speed and slickness of striking will supercede pace. While there is more variety in puck outs now to say that there's "very few long balls on half back lines anymore" is a complete exaggeration.

As for " forwards playing out the field", that hasn't happened today or yesterday, Eoin Larkin was catching puck outs in front of JJ Delaney 12 or 13 years ago.

Would you class any of the Limerick backs particularly the half backs as being quick? Baring in mind they are All Ireland champions and "pace is everything now".

You hit the nail on the head there. None of the Limerick half back line are particularly quick. The great Kilkenny half backs weren't fast either. You dont need pace to read a puck out or position yourself.
    Now the fullback line is a totally different kettle of fish. English and especially Finn are lightening quick. Casey is a bullet off the mark. All 3 are aggressive. From what Iv seen of Kilkenny this year the fullback line are struggling for speed. Huw Lawlor is a very good prospect in my opinion but you can't get away with two slow corners backs.
    I think it 'll be a good game on Sunday day. I'm not sure if Kilkenny supporters rate Limerick yet. I think it 'll take another All Ireland to get that credit. We 've no one like Reid or Richie Hogan. But then you dont have a Gillane or a Lynch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭brookville

i heard aylward wont play sunday that his hamstring or something in his leg giving him trouble.i wouldnt be suprised to see blanchfield and padraig starting and hopefully wally makes a return.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭usualstripes

brookville wrote: »
    i heard aylward wont play sunday that his hamstring or something in his leg giving him trouble.i wouldnt be suprised to see blanchfield and padraig starting and hopefully wally makes a return.

Walter is togging out anyway

delighted to see delaney tried at 3 i had heard lawlor picked up a knock. Im happy with the look of that team. good to see the few subs like robbie fitz and carey making the match day squad.
    limerick also have a strong looking team.looking foward to seeing gillane again i think he is a class act.it will be a big test for our full back line relatively inexperienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭blackcard

I would prefer to see Enda Morrissey in the half back line with Paul Murphy corner back. Who will take frees if Kevin Kelly is injured/subbed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

blackcard wrote: »
    I would prefer to see Enda Morrissey in the half back line with Paul Murphy corner back. Who will take frees if Kevin Kelly is injured/subbed?

He won't be

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Eoin Murphy

Tommy Walsh
    Conor Delaney
    Enda Morrissey

Padraig Walsh
    Paddy Deegan
    Paul Murphy

Conor Fogarty
    Martin Keoghan

Richie Leahy
    Walter Walsh
    James Maher

Billy Ryan
    Kevin Kelly
    John Donnelly

Subs:
    Alan Murphy
    Robbie Fitzpatrick
    Conor O'Shea
    Jason Cleere
    Conor Browne
    Michael Carey
    Pat Lyng
    Liam Blanchfield
    Ger Malone
    Conor Martin
    Niall Brassil

it'll be some test for morrissey on gillane who is on fire at the minute.Enda probably needs to bulk out a bit but i think he could be one of the bridges best prospect.Intresting to see alan murphy back on the panel and as a sub keeper (brennan must be injured)i presume if kelly goes off injured eoin murphy would take the longer more dificult ones and donnelly the nearer ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

This is an on going issue at the moment with TJ and Richie Hogan unavailable for differing reasons. So Kevin Kelly is unlikely to be subbed but in the event of him having to go off injured Alan Murphy coming on as an outfield player would probably be our best option. We did this before (our sub keeper coming on to play out the field) with Richie Reid coming on in the forwards in the closing stages of the Leinster semi final against Wexford in '17.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Eoin Murphy

Tommy Walsh
    Conor Delaney
    Enda Morrissey

Padraig Walsh
    Paddy Deegan
    Paul Murphy

Conor Fogarty
    Martin Keoghan

Richie Leahy
    Walter Walsh
    James Maher

Billy Ryan
    Kevin Kelly
    John Donnelly

Subs:
    Alan Murphy
    Robbie Fitzpatrick
    Conor O'Shea
    Jason Cleere
    Conor Browne
    Michael Carey
    Pat Lyng
    Liam Blanchfield
    Ger Malone
    Conor Martin
    Niall Brassil

Very happy with the team and they should really put it up to Limerick and although Lim are favourites I think we have a decent chance of causing an upset with that team. The only issue I have is that we're fairly light of options to bring off the bench, with Liam Blanchfield probably being the only one I would be confident would make a decent impact. The others would obviously try very hard but their unproven and it could go either way for them. I'd like to see Liam Blanch , Ger Malone and Pat Lyng in that order if we need to bring on forwards, obviously Alan Murphy if Kelly is injured or having a mare.

I'm assuming he has Morrissey and Murphy in juxtapositions as he has detailed them to mark specific lads and it'll be interesting to see will they follow their men if the change position. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Conor Delaney gets on at FB it's not a do or die game for him but with a dominant performance against the champions he could move to the top of our FB pecking order. If he leaked a few goals I wouldn't discount him and definitely give him more chances but I hope he can put his hand up as a serious option as I believe he's our 3 into the future. It'll also be interesting to see how Mossy handles the amount of running required in midfield, he does lots in fairness to him but you often see him take a little few seconds breather when playing in the half forwards (this is not a criticism of him I don't think he's strength and conditioning is there yet) he can't do that in midfield he has to be running or moving for the full 70. I think he'll be good in the first half but could fade hard in the second half. I assume Browne or Jason Cleere may come in for him with 20 or 15 mins to go. I'm very happy with the forwards.

I'm wondering whats up with James Maher, was he sick over the winter? In the last two games he just looked very leggy after 15 mins in both matches this is very unlike him, last year he was box to box for 70mins kind of player. I hope whatever the issue is he can get over it soon and get back to midfield as he's a game changer and winner there. He'll do well up front and will likely get a few scores but I'd prefer him fully charged and motoring around midfield breaking up plays and charging forward.

A great match ahead I hope there's a big crowd at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

Hi guys
    Wexford GAA thread is fairly inactive so think I might be better posting here. First time travelling to Wexford Park this Sunday, any recommendations for parking? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I usually park on the Clonard Road in the Industrial Estate. Plenty of places to leave the car there and a 10 minute walk to the stadium. Be prepared to sit in a massive queue of traffic afterwards though. One way in one way out of Wexford unless I'm missing something. I tend to peg it back to the car to try beat most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Ompala wrote: »
    Hi guys
    Wexford GAA thread is fairly inactive so think I might be better posting here. First time travelling to Wexford Park this Sunday, any recommendations for parking? Cheers.

North End soccer ground or Peter's College other options for parking. As other poster said bring a packed lunch for the journey home, nightmare of a place to get out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Ompala wrote: »
    Hi guys

Are you serious? Clogging up a thread looking for parking tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭amber69

BloodyBill wrote: »

Tis hardly clogged

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

I usually park on the Clonard Road in the Industrial Estate. Plenty of places to leave the car there and a 10 minute walk to the stadium. Be prepared to sit in a massive queue of traffic afterwards though. One way in one way out of Wexford unless I'm missing something. I tend to peg it back to the car to try beat most of it.
    North End soccer ground or Peter's College other options for parking. As other poster said bring a packed lunch for the journey home, nightmare of a place to get out of.

Cheers lads, much appreciated. Have heard it is a pain to get out of alright at the best of times.
    BloodyBill wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Looks like brian is looking after walter and richie and looking at yhe bigger pucture of the championship.also plenty of players being given a good riun to stake their claim.really hoping kevin kelly can raise it a gear or 2 tomorrow.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Looks like brian is looking after walter and richie and looking at yhe bigger pucture of the championship.also plenty of players being given a good riun to stake their claim.really hoping kevin kelly can raise it a gear or 2 tomorrow.
    hopefully we will have a feesh and fit tj and richie and buckley later jn the year when we really need them.Im hopefull we will get a big performance out of our lads tomor.Our half back line looks solid.It will be a great test for a new look young full back line but im delighted his trying delaney at 3 hopefully he goes well.
    i know alot of lads here were critical of kevin kelly the last 2 games but it cant be forgotton he has missed the guts of 2 years through injury and he needs game time to bring himself on.I would like to see more workrate from him though so hopefully he will go well tomorrow.
    its a pity aylward is injured again after working hard the last 2 games and showing a bit of form the last thing he needs is a setback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Hi folks
    Going to limerick cork game in Limerick
    tomorrow week.
    Where would be the best place to park in Limerick for it?

Hi folks
    tomorrow week.

Limerick 😉

• Advertisement

Hi folks
    tomorrow week.
    I have a few bob to invest in the stock market. Any advice?

I don't know what a backstop is. Any advice

kk1970 wrote: »

I don't know what a backstop is. Any advice
    Fairly sure the answer to that is Noel Hickey

Fairly sure the answer to that is Noel Hickey

Great answer 😜. Now hopefully back to the hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Village87

Limerick going through the motions and up by 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Nip and tuck for long parts but limerick are a different gravy at times, the cats with it all to do

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Village87 wrote: »

Will need to step it up big time in 2nd half. Some very poor defending for the 2 goals. Conor Delaney needs to be more aggressive in attacking the players in possession but he will learn from this. As I said need to up it big time all over the field for 2nd half.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mercury16

Village87 wrote: »

Ahh now Village 87, you know your not allowed to comment like tat about these kk lads, kids gloves only!
    The same limerick lads we beat at minor and gave us a beating at under 21, are giving us a schooling here today!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

To be honest up until the 2 goals I thought kilkenny were competing well Walter has been a good addition. I stand by what I said 2 weeks ago Kelly is an average free taker and offers nothing from play and was withdrawn. The second goal was an absolute embarrassment the distribution and place balls are a real worry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

We were competitive... and then Limerick stepped it up a gear.

Kelly wasn't offering anything so I can understand taking him off. In saying that though, Blanchfield hasn't done anything since he came on.

Walter is playing good. And Donnelly is good too but wasted in the full forward line

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement