Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Village87 wrote: »
    No was just highlighting the performances. Coleman and Fitzgibbon were also below average. Been a poor campaign for Kilkenny players in Fitzgibbon

Wouldn't say it was a bad campaign for kk players. DCU just pipped at the post and had a good few kk players. Connor Browne plays for UCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭brookville

mullinr2 wrote: »
    No was just highlighting the performances. Coleman and Fitzgibbon were also below average. Been a poor campaign for Kilkenny players in Fitzgibbon

Wouldn't say it was a bad campaign for kk players. DCU just pipped at the post and had a good few kk players. Connor Browne plays for UCC.
    i agree this year was the first time youd look at college teams and see a nice sprinkle of kk players.Few in cw and wit aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SpinMaster21

Yeah good few kilkenny lads on the Dublin teams. Good to see them get in that bit of extra hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Village87

Your negativity is exhausting.

I thought Darren Mullen was excellent when on. John Donnelly had little impact, James Bergin did well, Conor Delaney was cleaned out of it by Kingston. I'm not sure what game some lads look at it but if a player was cleaned out of it and looks like he lacked pace then there is no disguising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

I thought Darren Mullen was excellent when on. John Donnelly had little impact, James Bergin did well, Conor Delaney was cleaned out of it by Kingston. I'm not sure what game some lads look at it but if a player was cleaned out of it and looks like he lacked pace then there is no disguising it.

So you are basing your claim that it's "been a poor campaign for Kilkenny players in Fitzgibbon" on one match? Did you go to any other matches?

• Advertisement

So you are basing your claim that it's "been a poor campaign for Kilkenny players in Fitzgibbon" on one match? Did you go to any other matches?

Just following the competition in general. UCD, WIT and UL had plenty of Kilkenny players and i don't think either college won a game. The last 3 remaining teams, Marys, UCC and NUIG have one Kilkenny players in Conor Browne. Kilkenny players that stood out in yesterday evening games were Darren Mullen and James Bergin. Conor Delaney got cleaned out, Billy Ryan and Sean Morriseey were well held both taken off,although Billy Ryan came back on in extra time, John Donnelly came on and did ok. Cant think of to many stand out Kilkenny players in the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Just following the competition in general. UCD, WIT and UL had plenty of Kilkenny players and i don't think either college won a game. The last 3 remaining teams, Marys, UCC and NUIG have one Kilkenny players in Conor Browne. Kilkenny players that stood out in yesterday evening games were Darren Mullen and James Bergin. Conor Delaney got cleaned out, Billy Ryan and Sean Morriseey were well held both taken off,although Billy Ryan came back on in extra time, John Donnelly came on and did ok. Cant think of to many stand out Kilkenny players in the competition.

Let me help you so.

As you would expect there was quite the number of Kilkenny players playing across the Fitzgibbon, unfortunately the fact we don't have a third level insitute affects us on this front aswell, when you look at almost every team in the competition (bar maybe IT Carlow) they all have a strong bunch of hurlers from their own counties.

UCD had a fairly poor year by their standards but there is no doubt that the traditional powerhouse of Dublin third level GAA is being mightily challenged by DCU who for a number of reasons have come on massively in recent years. Despite this UCD fielded 4 Kilkenny players in games this year, Huw Lawlor and Rob Lennon, Michael Cody and Sean Carey. Huw was probably the best of these over the two games but Rob was quite good against NUIG. Neither could be described as having bad tournaments.

Moving across the capital to DIT or TU Dublin as it now is, once more there were a few Kilkenny men on show here, Liam Blanchfield and Niall Walsh being the two guys on show. Blanchfield was a real leader for DIT and was one of the best players on the pitch as they saw off Maynooth in horrid conditions in the group. In their game against DCU Blanchfield was picked up by one of Crummey, Delaney or Paudie Foley for most of the game, he showed twice the endevaour of some of their other ' star forwards' in that game when most of his teammates were outclassed. Niall Walsh player around 50 minutes against DCU and probably got on more ball than any of his teammates, he's a classy little hurler but unfortunately probably lacks the size for inter county.

DCU had a well documented few Kilkenny players. Billy Ryan only got back into the team last week after being with Ballycallan, same with Mullen yesterday. James Bergin and Sean Morrissey both had very very good tournaments, just take a look at some of the guys these two were keeping out of the team and explain how they werent playing well? Sean hit 1-1 vs DIT and 0-2 yesterday in a game where he played very deep to counteract the UCC spare defender. Delaney was absolutely sublime vs DIT, he wasnt good yesterday but it's a cod to say he was cleaned out for 1-5 as he simply wasn't on Kingston for the whole game. Donnelly will be disappointed with his campaign, it seems like he finds two games in a week difficult.

Browne is obviously the only man playing with UCC from these parts however Aidan Nolan from the Boro is on the panel aslo. It is absolutely no coincidence that Conor captained the team yesterday, he is exactly what UCC have been missing for a few years at this level, a real leader and an absolute team player, Conor himself will know he's not a natural centre forward but he gets through a mountain of work, hooks, flicks, tackles.. he does it all, without the work of Browne the likes of Kingston and Conway don't have the same effect and I know for a fact the UCC Management think the same way.

Looking at some of the teams who didn't do as well as they might have hoped this year. IT Carlow as usual had a few Kilkenny guys playing, Jason Cleere, Richie Leahy and Kevin Murphy playing in their games, it's no exaggeration to say Leahy was one of their best players in all three games, again by no means a bad campaign, in a competition of this standard it takes a full team to be competitive at the business end, Carlow didn't have that strength this year.

Again WIT had the usual strong cohort from Kilkenny, albeit its worth noting that only Tommy Walsh is a current senior, Ollie Walsh, Owen McGrath, Shane Murphy and Conor Hennessy all played and they will be very disappointed to have gone out to a pretty weak CIT side.

CIT themselves had Galvin from Clara corner back and Joe Connolly from the same neck of the woods full forward in a couple of games, they'll be fairly happy to have made a quarter final with what is in reality a fairly average team compared to some of the others around them.

UL will be majorly disappointed with their year and i'd expect next year they will do everything in their power to make sure they've a star studded side back on the field. Mossy got injured in their second game and was a big blow at the time as they were looking to mount a comeback. They also had Evan Cody, Brian Cody and Michael Carey on their team, Carey was probably the best of the lot from what I've heard.

We'd no players with Galway or LIT, Stephen Farrell played a few minutes for Mary I, Conor Heary played with Maynooth, none with Trinity as far as I know and I'm unsure about the Garda College team.

All in all it's not been a bad showing from the Kilkenny players in Fitz, the bigger issue than player performance is probably the amount of good club hurlers from Kilkenny who are in college and decide not to even try make their college teams. Certainly the feeling from some lads over the last couple of years is that some of the bigger teams essentially have their Fitz teams picked at the start of every year and are a closed shop, more often than not the large bulk of the subs will be local Dublin, Cork, Limerick etc hurlers as the management know them and know they will be committed. From a hurling point of view it would be a huge boost to have a technical university or third level institute in Kilkenny City but unfortunately it seems unlikely that will happen anytime soon.

Let me help you so.

As you would expect there was quite the number of Kilkenny players playing across the Fitzgibbon, unfortunately the fact we don't have a third level insitute affects us on this front aswell, when you look at almost every team in the competition (bar maybe IT Carlow) they all have a strong bunch of hurlers from their own counties.

UCD had a fairly poor year by their standards but there is no doubt that the traditional powerhouse of Dublin third level GAA is being mightily challenged by DCU who for a number of reasons have come on massively in recent years. Despite this UCD fielded 4 Kilkenny players in games this year, Huw Lawlor and Rob Lennon, Michael Cody and Sean Carey. Huw was probably the best of these over the two games but Rob was quite good against NUIG. Neither could be described as having bad tournaments.

Moving across the capital to DIT or TU Dublin as it now is, once more there were a few Kilkenny men on show here, Liam Blanchfield and Niall Walsh being the two guys on show. Blanchfield was a real leader for DIT and was one of the best players on the pitch as they saw off Maynooth in horrid conditions in the group. In their game against DCU Blanchfield was picked up by one of Crummey, Delaney or Paudie Foley for most of the game, he showed twice the endevaour of some of their other ' star forwards' in that game when most of his teammates were outclassed. Niall Walsh player around 50 minutes against DCU and probably got on more ball than any of his teammates, he's a classy little hurler but unfortunately probably lacks the size for inter county.

DCU had a well documented few Kilkenny players. Billy Ryan only got back into the team last week after being with Ballycallan, same with Mullen yesterday. James Bergin and Sean Morrissey both had very very good tournaments, just take a look at some of the guys these two were keeping out of the team and explain how they werent playing well? Sean hit 1-1 vs DIT and 0-2 yesterday in a game where he played very deep to counteract the UCC spare defender. Delaney was absolutely sublime vs DIT, he wasnt good yesterday but it's a cod to say he was cleaned out for 1-5 as he simply wasn't on Kingston for the whole game. Donnelly will be disappointed with his campaign, it seems like he finds two games in a week difficult.

Browne is obviously the only man playing with UCC from these parts however Aidan Nolan from the Boro is on the panel aslo. It is absolutely no coincidence that Conor captained the team yesterday, he is exactly what UCC have been missing for a few years at this level, a real leader and an absolute team player, Conor himself will know he's not a natural centre forward but he gets through a mountain of work, hooks, flicks, tackles.. he does it all, without the work of Browne the likes of Kingston and Conway don't have the same effect and I know for a fact the UCC Management think the same way.

Looking at some of the teams who didn't do as well as they might have hoped this year. IT Carlow as usual had a few Kilkenny guys playing, Jason Cleere, Richie Leahy and Kevin Murphy playing in their games, it's no exaggeration to say Leahy was one of their best players in all three games, again by no means a bad campaign, in a competition of this standard it takes a full team to be competitive at the business end, Carlow didn't have that strength this year.

Again WIT had the usual strong cohort from Kilkenny, albeit its worth noting that only Tommy Walsh is a current senior, Ollie Walsh, Owen McGrath, Shane Murphy and Conor Hennessy all played and they will be very disappointed to have gone out to a pretty weak CIT side.

CIT themselves had Galvin from Clara corner back and Joe Connolly from the same neck of the woods full forward in a couple of games, they'll be fairly happy to have made a quarter final with what is in reality a fairly average team compared to some of the others around them.

UL will be majorly disappointed with their year and i'd expect next year they will do everything in their power to make sure they've a star studded side back on the field. Mossy got injured in their second game and was a big blow at the time as they were looking to mount a comeback. They also had Evan Cody, Brian Cody and Michael Carey on their team, Carey was probably the best of the lot from what I've heard.

We'd no players with Galway or LIT, Stephen Farrell played a few minutes for Mary I, Conor Heary played with Maynooth, none with Trinity as far as I know and I'm unsure about the Garda College team.

All in all it's not been a bad showing from the Kilkenny players in Fitz, the bigger issue than player performance is probably the amount of good club hurlers from Kilkenny who are in college and decide not to even try make their college teams. Certainly the feeling from some lads over the last couple of years is that some of the bigger teams essentially have their Fitz teams picked at the start of every year and are a closed shop, more often than not the large bulk of the subs will be local Dublin, Cork, Limerick etc hurlers as the management know them and know they will be committed. From a hurling point of view it would be a huge boost to have a technical university or third level institute in Kilkenny City but unfortunately it seems unlikely that will happen anytime soon.

Excellent Summary KKclubhurling. Thanks very much

You "can't think of many standout Kilkenny players in the competition" and you have seen one match in the whole competition! You are running down players based on the evidence of one match???

You "can't think of many standout Kilkenny players in the competition" and you have seen one match in the whole competition! You are running down players based on the evidence of one match???

No i have only seen a few matches broadcast live through the internet. Im just going on the knowledge that UL, UCD,WIT, Carlow IT had a lot of Kilkenny players between them and won only one or 2 matches between the 4 colleges. Seems logical enough

• Advertisement

No i have only seen a few matches broadcast live through the internet. Im just going on the knowledge that UL, UCD,WIT, Carlow IT had a lot of Kilkenny players between them and won only one or 2 matches between the 4 colleges. Seems logical enough

No, that seems completely illogical to be making sweeping dismissive generalisations about people based on very little evidence. Did you see UL, UCD, WIT OR Carlow IT play once?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭brookville

Kierans had a good win today just looking at the team it looks very strong.eoin cody,aaron brennan,conor murphy and conor kelly and darragh maher came on as a sub david blanchfield had a good year for the bridge.luke swan only scored a point kierans must of sone their homework.hopefully some of these young lads have good futures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Let me help you so.

Funny how when your broad narrative i.e. absolutely uncritical, suits the general mood nobody asks how many games YOU saw. A close reading of your post makes it seem that it was more designed to put your man in his place than to illuminate the competition for people. A lot of “from what I heard” and “they also had X from Kilkenny”. There’s a fair amount of fluff in there that could be picked up in a pub conversation and passed off as proper knowledge. None of this actually contradicts what the other poster said, and crucially was entitled to say. It just sets out at all costs to say the opposite.

You also slip into journalese with your “traditional powerhouse” comment about UCD. They’ve won just two Fitzgibbon cups in 40 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Joe Brolly eat your heart out.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Funny how when your broad narrative i.e. absolutely uncritical, suits the general mood nobody asks how many games YOU saw. A close reading of your post makes it seem that it was more designed to put your man in his place than to illuminate the competition for people. A lot of “from what I heard” and “they also had X from Kilkenny”. There’s a fair amount of fluff in there that could be picked up in a pub conversation and passed off as proper knowledge. None of this actually contradicts what the other poster said, and crucially was entitled to say. It just sets out at all costs to say the opposite.

You also slip into journalese with your “traditional powerhouse” comment about UCD. They’ve won just two Fitzgibbon cups in 40 years.

9 games if you’re wondering, luckily this year the online games meant I could watch back a couple I didn’t see live.

If you could give me a name for the pub where all the patrons talk about is Fitz hurling please do as it really seems like some place I’d like to go for a few pints.

So it doesn’t contradict the other poster, it just says the opposite? Ok cheers

Yep you’re dead right, UCDs success rate has dried up massively since the competition expanded beyond the NUIs, yet somehow I’m willing to look upon 32 Fitzgibbon wins compared to the combined total of 0 by the other Dublin colleges as them being a traditional powerhouse, no issue if you don’t agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭boccy23

Hi Lads, I'll be in Kilkenny on Sunday with my youngfella and was going to bring him to the Limerick game.

Is it ok to assume that we can get tickets at the turnstiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

boccy23 wrote: »
    Hi Lads, I'll be in Kilkenny on Sunday with my youngfella and was going to bring him to the Limerick game.

Yeah you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭boccy23

Yeah you'll be grand

Cheers

boccy23 wrote: »

Not actually at the turnstile, you will have to go to the ticket office beside the turnstile and possibly queue and buy your ticket for 20 quid and then go to the turnstile. Whereas tickets can be purchased in advance for 15 quid from any Supervalue, save yourself a fiver and avoid a possible queue.

The young lad will be free , no ticket required, assuming he's under 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

Willie Phelan is back to his best this year and is a born leader for club, John Fitz been scoring well all year and Cody is a real prospect.

Hopefully lads get rewarded for their performances and dunnamagin are on the road 12 months performing solidly

You have to be joking?

A group of football players from Castleblaney in Monaghan made Willie Phelan and Michael Cody look bang average for large parts of that junior club All Ireland final.

Not the type of hurlers Brian Cody would be looking for against the Joe Cannings and Aaron Gillanes.

• Advertisement

conor05 wrote: »
    You have to be joking?

A group of football players from Castleblaney in Monaghan made Willie Phelan and Michael Cody look bang average for large parts of that junior club All Ireland final.

Not the type of hurlers Brian Cody would be looking for against the Joe Cannings and Aaron Gillanes.

Michael Cody has great potential very quick, could be very good. Willie Phelan was on it it for years and 2 years ago was a sub for Dunnamaggin, like a lot of our backs at present just to slow(although some members on this just cant see any negatives in some of our hurlers at present)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Michael Cody has great potential very quick, could be very good. Willie Phelan was on it it for years and 2 years ago was a sub for Dunnamaggin, like a lot of our backs at present just to slow(although some members on this just cant see any negatives in some of our hurlers at present)

When you have to look at negatives in people you are starting off on the wrong foot you always look at the glass half full or you will never do anything. Everybody has faults its only human every day I find you always learn something new, we are where we are after a golden area move on players are under pressure to perform no body seems to be good enough I have seen players giving up hurling due to negative comments. Here to a good day in the park next sunday the all Ireland champions are coming. May be Willie Phelan might be enjoying his club hurling at the moment that might be his lot club hurling can take lads minds off day to day commitments.

😂😂😂 Is it possible for you to analyze a player without mentioning pace? It's absolute obsession with you. The three greatest defenders I have ever seen in over 40 years watching hurling were JJ Delaney, Tommy Walsh and Brian Whelehan and none of them were quick. In fact on a recent vox pop on Eirsport Tommy described himself as the slowest player in the Kilkenny set up during his time.

For me touch, striking, anticipation, reaction time, positional sense, aerial ability, agility, work rate, attitude and composure are more important than pace in hurling. Not much use been able to run 100 metres in 11 seconds if you can't get the ball into your hand, pace can be a great addition to any players amoury but it seems to be the be all and end all with you.

Think back to the backs on our four in a row team, would you class any of them as being quick? Didn't stop them from being part of the greatest team of all time!

😂😂😂 Is it possible for you to analyze a player without mentioning pace? It's absolute obsession with you. The three greatest defenders I have ever seen in over 40 years watching hurling were JJ Delaney, Tommy Walsh and Brian Whelehan and none of them were quick. In fact on a recent vox pop on Eirsport Tommy described himself as the slowest player in the Kilkenny set up during his time.

For me touch, striking, anticipation, reaction time, positional sense, aerial ability, agility, work rate, attitude and composure are more important than pace in hurling. Not much use been able to run 100 metres in 11 seconds if you can't get the ball into your hand, pace can be a great addition to any players amoury but it seems to be the be all and end all with you.

Think back to the backs on our four in a row team, would you class any of them as being quick? Didn't stop them from being part of the greatest team of all time!

All players you mentioned are great backs, some of the best ever. The game has changed so much in the 10 years and some of that is down to the players you mentioned above. Pace is now everything as it’s all running off the ball, short passes, forwards playing out the field, creating space. Very few long balls on the half back lines anymore.

All players you mentioned are great backs, some of the best ever. The game has changed so much in the 10 years and some of that is down to the players you mentioned above. Pace is now everything as it’s all running off the ball, short passes, forwards playing out the field, creating space. Very few long balls on the half back lines anymore.

Completely disagree. While the game is constantly evolving the basics will stay the same the ability to get the ball into your hand at speed and slickness of striking will supercede pace. While there is more variety in puck outs now to say that there's "very few long balls on half back lines anymore" is a complete exaggeration.

As for " forwards playing out the field", that hasn't happened today or yesterday, Eoin Larkin was catching puck outs in front of JJ Delaney 12 or 13 years ago.

Would you class any of the Limerick backs particularly the half backs as being quick? Baring in mind they are All Ireland champions and "pace is everything now".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

The main reason that no ball is struck down on top of the half backs is there are no forwards to catch them. It has been the bane of Tipp for this century. Cork introduced the short ball back in the nineties to offset their deficiencies in the half forward line. Galway and Limerick have won AIs on the back of moving the half forwards out the field and driving long balls in to the corners. Once you come up against a good centre back that will be negated too.

dzer2 wrote: »
    The main reason that no ball is struck down on top of the half backs is there are no forwards to catch them. It has been the bane of Tipp for this century. Cork introduced the short ball back in the nineties to offset their deficiencies in the half forward line. Galway and Limerick have won AIs on the back of moving the half forwards out the field and driving long balls in to the corners. Once you come up against a good centre back that will be negated too.

Every county has to cut their cloth .. based on what they have available. Tipperary have won 3 All Ireland's this century which is more than every other County bar Kilkenny so their forwards must have been doing something right.

As for "moving half forwards out the field", that wasn't invented by Galway or Limerick, Kilkenny were doing that 15 years ago. I would call it work rate.

Completely disagree. While the game is constantly evolving the basics will stay the same the ability to get the ball into your hand at speed and slickness of striking will supercede pace. While there is more variety in puck outs now to say that there's "very few long balls on half back lines anymore" is a complete exaggeration.

As for " forwards playing out the field", that hasn't happened today or yesterday, Eoin Larkin was catching puck outs in front of JJ Delaney 12 or 13 years ago.

Would you class any of the Limerick backs particularly the half backs as being quick? Baring in mind they are All Ireland champions and "pace is everything now".

To survive at inter county level now a back has to have pace/athleticism. I am on about intercounty level here so most Intercounty backs in the modern game can get the ball to hand and hurl.
    Diarmuid Byrnes,Declan Hannon and Morrissey are 3 top athletes and not short of pace. Some hurlers i have mentioned that you have took offence to are just to slow, yes they can defend and hurl but there is no hiding place in the summer where Kilkenny have been found out the last few years against good teams.

To survive at inter county level now a back has to have pace/athleticism. I am on about intercounty level here so most Intercounty backs in the modern game can get the ball to hand and hurl.
    Diarmuid Byrnes,Declan Hannon and Morrissey are 3 top athletes and not short of pace. Some hurlers i have mentioned that you have took offence to are just to slow, yes they can defend and hurl but there is no hiding place in the summer where Kilkenny have been found out the last few years against good teams.

Who are the hurlers that you have mentioned that I have taken "offence to"? I genuinely wouldn't take offense to anything you say. All i am doing is trying to have a discussion with you.

• Advertisement

Who are the hurlers that you have mentioned that I have taken "offence to"? I genuinely wouldn't take offense to anything you say. All i am doing is trying to have a discussion with you.

Apologies i thought you were one of the members on to me about negativity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement