Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It will get a remake a some point, Tetsuya Nomura mentioned last month that he wants 5 and 6 remade as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Xenji wrote: »
    It will get a remake a some point, Tetsuya Nomura mentioned last month that he wants 5 and 6 remade as well.

and this time I won't let shadow die!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Something is "coming soon" so unless they can confirm what that is then I not believing this, remake might be the wrong word but I can believe that a HD port/remaster is coming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd actually be more inclined to take that as near confirmation that a remake is coming. If it wasn't coming there would be flat out denial from squaresoft but that statement cleverly skirts around the issue without denying the existence of a remake. It's classic game company PR damage control when it comes to premature leaks. Couple that with some very reliable rumours and the fact that all the HD art assets for a FF12 remake are already made, it looks very likely one is on the cards especially considering the success of the FFX remake.

Also why the hell would Hitoshi Sakimoto be working on new arrangements of the soundtrack if not for a remake?

As long as Nomura is kept well away from those two games I'd love to see remakes along the lines of the FF4 remake on DS.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ok...........ill eat my hat so when its annouced

This time :pac:

• Advertisement

The game that Omega Force/Koei have been teasing is unsurprisingly going to be an Attack On Titan game, it is tentatively being banded as an action RPG, hopefully it will be far better than Humanity in Chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

That comment sounds to me like they wanted to make it clear that it won't be a 'remake' a la FFVII. However, the wording strongly suggests a re-release on other platforms, so a HD remaster would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

The game that Omega Force/Koei have been teasing is unsurprisingly going to be an Attack On Titan game, it is tentatively being banded as an action RPG, hopefully it will be far better than Humanity in Chains.

That game was so rubbish, I just want a good feeling of using the 3dMG not some QTE fest

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It will just be a reskinned Dynasty Warriors :/

The new FF XV trailer starring Liam Neeson as the father.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

About halfway through Atelier Ayesha and still not feeling the gra for it. Plot has no pace to it, characters are tropes at best and annoying at worst. The alchemy and endless fetch quests are fine but there's no feeling of progress as much as it tries to spur you on to create bigger and better things.

It's all a bit airy fairy, not quite as twee as Eternal Sonata thankfully, like it's for younger children or something.

I'm still playing it though! It's inoffensively likeable for all its faults. Maybe I'm just approaching it in the wrong way.

penev10 wrote: »
    About halfway through Atelier Ayesha and still not feeling the gra for it. Plot has no pace to it, characters are tropes at best and annoying at worst. The alchemy and endless fetch quests are fine but there's no feeling of progress as much as it tries to spur you on to create bigger and better things.

It's all a bit airy fairy, not quite as twee as Eternal Sonata thankfully, like it's for younger children or something.

I'm still playing it though! It's inoffensively likeable for all its faults. Maybe I'm just approaching it in the wrong way.

I have always found the Atelier games more akin to having something to chillout and relax with, they are different to any other games I play in that regard, they are quite casual and slow paced and the creation aspect of the game is for me what makes it, battles really take a backseat.

Yeah Atelier games really aren't about the battle system at all. It's perfunctory at best. It's really all about the time management and synthesis. Your success in combat is based on how good the items you synthesised are rather than skill or level, well the game is easy enough but the optional super bosses are usually impossible for me.

As for the plot, it is slow paced but I kind of like that. The gameplay moves it along at a great pace due to the monthly system. The plots aren't some high drama ridiculousness about saving the world, they're about a girl working in an alchemy shop and stepping out into the world for the first time and growing from an awkward naive teenager into an independent woman and I think it handles that well. Some of the characters can be tropey (Rorona herself is really bad in this regard) but they are usually well realised and some back stories can be particularly dark. I just find it a bit more realistic than the melodrama found in other JRPGs but then again it's a lot more down to earth.

As for Ayesha, I really loved how they handled the relationship between her and her missing sister. It just felt very genuine and I found the world dying being a great setting that didn't become the focus of the characters, they're mostly getting on with their own lives as best they can and not trying to save the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I know what you're both saying, it's a decent game and a nice diversion from the norm. Just not a great RPG for me. Having said that, the more I play the more I like it. I play it in bed on the Vita and it suits perfectly.

So I played a good bit more of FF7 with the fan translation.

So right after Disc 1 is the Great Glacier area. The town was decent enough. Good to get some backstory of Iflana, Aeris's mother even if it wasn't anything special. The fan translation adds nothing new here as far as I can tell. Then there's the snowboarding minigame which is very jarring considering that someone just died. It looks a bit crappy and isn't a lot of fun at all like most of the FF7 minigames. After that is the Great Glacier dungeon. The map is confusing but you know, I quite liked this area. The battle system is annoying but it was good fun exploring it and finding the secrets like the Alexander summon. The two headed dragon boss comes out of no where but it's a decent fight and one of the few that requires a bit of strategy.

I have to say from the start of disc 2 to the point that I'm at the game has really picked up the pace. I found disc 1 annoying mostly due to the frequent uninteresting side events and crappy battle system. In comparison there's not been a dull moment so far, even if some of the quests you do don't make a lick of sense and are only there to pad out the game's length.

Next up is North Crater. Dungeon isn't anything special but it's not too annoying. So far this is the one part where the fan translation is a significant improvement over the base translation. The fact that you've been following Jenova disguised as Sephiroth is made a little more clearer (still some ambiguity). The weapons are explained in much the same way and their reasoning for being there is still really lame and just an excuse for the developers to add some evangelion to the proceedings.

There's also one big thing that I noticed in this translation which makes the games story so much lamer in my opinion. Not sure who it was that I was arguing this with but I had the theory that Jenova was the one pulling the strings with Sephiroth all along. Also the reasons why Tifa doesn't questio nthe whole Zack/Cloud thing and how Jenova has control over people with Jenova cells is a lot better explained. It fits in with the story of when Jenova first revealed itself to the Cetra. The other theory (and far more likely one) is that Sephiroth is in control and the 'strength of his will' is so strong that he has control over Jenova unlike the others with Jenova cells in them. Well Hojo mentions this in this part, something along the lines of with Jenova's power and the strength of Sephiroth's will and it's heavily implied by him. This strength of will thing is one of the worst japanese tropes when it comes to their story telling and it just doesn't fly with me. It's a deus ex machina and they pulled the same bull**** with the end of FF13 where
    all the characters died... but didn't because of the strength of their will.
    Perhaps there's something later on that shows Hojo is wrong but I doubt it and it's probably another case of fan treories being better than the actually creators writing and me giving the writers far too much credit.

Next is the capture and escape from Junon while the Weapon attacks. This was a bit silly with a lot of convenience in the Weapon attacking at that moment but screw it, it was a lot of fun. The CGI of the Weapon attack has dated badly but is still pretty cool, I loved the minigame where you have to get the key off the ground while Tifa was tied up and then it all culminating with a slap fight with Scarlet was hilarious. Nobody tell Anita Sarkesian.

At this stage I decided to do the Wutai sidequest. I had to use a trainer to teleport to Wutai since the game breaking glitch is still in effect with this version of the translation (since been fixed I believe). Anyway Wutai sticks out like a sore thumb in the FF7 world and just doesn't seem to belong, it seems like it's just there because they have the art assets. However I can't complain too much the side quest here with Yuffie is a good laugh and it's good to see how the dialogue still fits even without Cloud as the main protagonist. I also did the five pagoda side quest. Love the setting, it's a straight up rip off of Game of Death :) The bosses were remarkably easy though when you just use the haste/slow combo and keep your health up which works for every fight in the game from now on.So Wutai as an area and it's visuals are kind of dumb but overall it's a great quest so you can't complain too much.

Next up is the stupidest part of the story so far. Shinra is collecting Huge Materia to create a bomb to destroy meteor and we have to stop them because.... reasons? I think Barret wanting to show cloud some huge materia when he gets back is the most compelling case. I mean if Shinra want to destory meteor then let them have a go? Why try to stop them, they might actually manage it? To me this just seems like padding because looking at a faq to see where I am I could be at the last boss in about 4 hours and I'm 22 into the game. I did not realise how short this game is, at that time I'd be well finished an Atelier game but FF7 seems to have dragged one way longer. Also 'huge materia'?? What the hell is that, it just sounds like a mac guffin.

Anyway despite my moaning going after the Huge Materia is some of the most fun so far in the game. First I went to the pheonix place to get that stupid side quest out of the way. I just let the enemy reach the top while I went to the toilet and make a hot chocolate, it's far and away the worst minigame in the game. Next was getting the Huge Materia from North Corel, which again was a fun little diversion.

After that it's a return to Cloud who falls into the lifestrem with Tifa after Weapon attacks. The game goes very evangelion here.

You know what, this scene was done very well. Even in the base translation I always thought it was well directed and the use of visuals to help tell it was excellent. I still think it's a little silly that Tifa never questioned Cloud about it but in the new translation it's a little less of a plot hole even if it's not wholly satisfying. And that's as far as I've gotten so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Seen a girl today at Dublin Comic Con wearing a Monokuma zip up hoodie, can't have been older than 16, made me smile as it was the most bizarre outfit I noticed, reminds me I still need to finish Danganronpa, that bear is awesome.

Seen a girl today at Dublin Comic Con wearing a Monokuma zip up hoodie, can't have been older than 16, made me smile as it was the most bizarre outfit I noticed, reminds me I still need to finish Danganronpa, that bear is awesome.

Quite possibly was my little sister, know she has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Tales of Zestiria being released locally (it's already been out for a good whlle in Japan for PS3 AFAIK) October 14th on PS4 and Steam. I think this is the first Tales games to be ported for an official PC release too. Big fan of the series so looking forward to this. Anyone else have their eyes on this and looking to pick it up? The Tales series have always been very solid and consistent IMO (Vesperia and Abyss are among some of the best JRPGs I've ever played). There are of course a few terrible ones (to be expected!) but overall the series is one I enjoy very much and never get bored of (played pretty much every one, and they all have great replay value and challenging difficulty options for second playthroughs). I just hope they keep in JP voices along with the default dubbed ones, give people an option to choose. I like when a game does that. 9 times out of 10 I will take the JP voices over a dub!

I also picked up FF Type-0 HD on the cheap for PS4 to try it out and was very disappointed. Played for about 2-3 hours and didn't enjoy a minute of it. Game wasn't for me. Gameplay felt clunky and unresponsive, camera is a complete joke, storyline seems very weak and lackluster. Will likely be selling on very soon, big disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I've played several Tales games and the only ones I beat were Abyss and Vesperia. There alright but they always seem to have a completely unnecessary third act adding 20 hours to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Ramza wrote: »
    Tales of Zestiria being released locally (it's already been out for a good whlle in Japan for PS3 AFAIK) October 14th on PS4 and Steam. I think this is the first Tales games to be ported for an official PC release too. Big fan of the series so looking forward to this. Anyone else have their eyes on this and looking to pick it up? The Tales series have always been very solid and consistent IMO (Vesperia and Abyss are among some of the best JRPGs I've ever played). There are of course a few terrible ones (to be expected!) but overall the series is one I enjoy very much and never get bored of (played pretty much every one, and they all have great replay value and challenging difficulty options for second playthroughs). I just hope they keep in JP voices along with the default dubbed ones, give people an option to choose. I like when a game does that. 9 times out of 10 I will take the JP voices over a dub!

I also picked up FF Type-0 HD on the cheap for PS4 to try it out and was very disappointed. Played for about 2-3 hours and didn't enjoy a minute of it. Game wasn't for me. Gameplay felt clunky and unresponsive, camera is a complete joke, storyline seems very weak and lackluster. Will likely be selling on very soon, big disappointment.

I'm more excited for Berseria to be honest, Zestiria is kind of an oddball experimental game with a dodgy skill system

totally agree with you on Type 0 HD, got it as my first PS4 game, poor start lol MAGIC AMNESIA and very shallow characters

• Advertisement

While I do enjoy the Tales games since Symphonia if you have played one you have played them all. They are the tropiest of RPGs but they kind of fill that niche of a dependable if not groundbreaking RPG.

Looking forward to Zestiria, it has a very serviceable story and possibly the best selection of characters in the series, the battle system has got a lot of praise as well.

I do agree that the Tales series can be very tropey however the main reason I play them is for the diverse battle system each one brings and for the character development/interaction. A good storyline is a must in a game of course but the tales series always have fantastic character development and interaction (for the most part!). They also have great replayability and side quests, a good tales game easily allows me to sink in 150+ hours into it no problem and always stays challenging if I want to try higher difficulties. They are a very reliable and enjoyable RPG series.

Although there are some in the series out there with rotten storylines. I've played them and instantly been turned off.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Symphonia and vesperia are my favourite tales games , i found tales of hearts r and tales of xilia weak story line wise.

Symphonia and vesperia are my favourite tales games , i found tales of hearts r and tales of xilia weak story line wise.

They were VERY weak. I picked up Hearts R for super cheap on Vita recently and found the story to be very convoluted and wrapped up in itself. At times it felt like the game itself was just going nowhere, with a super boring ending to boot. I found the game's extra sidequests and character presentation to be overall quite good though, but not enough to save it from being a very messy and mediocre game story line wise. I would recommend people to try and avoid this title in the series.

Ramza wrote: »
    They were VERY weak. I picked up Hearts R for super cheap on Vita recently and found the story to be very convoluted and wrapped up in itself. At times it felt like the game itself was just going nowhere, with a super boring ending to boot. I found the game's extra sidequests and character presentation to be overall quite good though, but not enough to save it from being a very messy and mediocre game story line wise. I would recommend people to try and avoid this title in the series.

Also there was no lovable characters and the comedy sketches were lame

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I enjoyed Xilia for the most part. Wasn't great, but kept me going for a while. Looking forward to them releasing the new one and the re-release on the pc.

I actually prefered Tales Of Xillia 2 to the first, took me ages to get into the first, but I found it decent in the end.

Battle Square in FF7 and RNJesus can go get ****ed right now. Was at it for hours last night trying to get Omnislash. Got 50 GP to give me 5 goes in the battle square which I figured was enough because I usually can get it in 3 goes. At the end I was 60 BP short for it. So I went all out on that crappy basketball game and got myself 250 GP, way more than enough to get BP. 2am I finished up, after 25 goes I only finished the run through battle square twice and ended up with 19000 BP. I just had endless runs of my accessory breaking and meeting a confusion causing enemy, getting one shotted by the Dragon or else that stupid ghost ship that can just throw you out of the arena to instantly end it for you and coming up against that evil tonberry so many fecking times. I've never had this much trouble before. I probably should just level up a bit and just do the chocobo breeding... god I hate chocobo breeding.

• Advertisement

I actually prefered Tales Of Xillia 2 to the first, took me ages to get into the first, but I found it decent in the end.

Haven't played it yet, need a new ps3 -_-

Advertisement