Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Xenji wrote: »
    A new Vita is about 189.99 - 199.99, CEX sell them for about 130.00 used, make sure you get the old OLED model and not the new slim one as the screen quality is far superior than the new model.

Thanks, just to clarify - the OLED has better screen quality so get that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

keane2097 wrote: »
    Thanks, just to clarify - the OLED has better screen quality so get that one?

Yes the old model OLED screen has noticeably better quality and you should be looking to get that one, the new slim model does have slightly better battery life, but the new LCD screen is not on par with the old model.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The OLED screen isn't just better, it's absolutely stunning. I can't wait for OLED tech in TVs to come down to a reasonable price because LCD is just a terrible technology and looks so much worse than CRT. OLED can match the colours of CRT and doesn't have ****ty black levels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

A new Vita is about 189.99 - 199.99, CEX sell them for about 130.00 used, make sure you get the old OLED model and not the new slim one as the screen quality is far superior than the new model.

No its not. They are practically identical in quality.

Source: Have owned both.

EDIT: Praising the Vita's OLED for its black levels is hilarious; Miura effect is really bad on the Vita. I had to give up playing Silent Hill on it till I got a 2000. OLED on high end phones great; the vita's is well documented to be lacking.

Wright wrote: »
    No its not. They are practically identical in quality.

Source: Have owned both.

EDIT: Praising the Vita's OLED for its black levels is hilarious; Miura effect is really bad on the Vita. I had to give up playing Silent Hill on it till I got a 2000. OLED on high end phones great; the vita's is well documented to be lacking.

No you are wrong and honestly just look at the image, not going to get into it with you either as it will probably end up going way OT, I have seen both side by side and it is clear as day the difference and every reviewer of the new model also comes to the same conclusion.

vita.jpg

• Advertisement

No you are wrong and honestly just look at the image, not going to get into it with you either as it will probably end up going way OT, I have seen both side by side and it is clear as day the difference and every reviewer of the new model also comes to the same conclusion.

vita.jpg

An image posted before the release of the actual thing. People went ape♡♡♡♡ over the unit losing the OLED. Once it actually released everybody was cool with it. I put both mine side by side before I traded in the 1000. The difference in that image is by no means reflective. The 2000 doesn't have a superior screen, it's about equal to the OLED, but its a far superior unit as a whole. Thinner, lighter, and with nicer clickier buttons and a start and select button you can actually click which is nice!

I wouldn't worry about posting OT, Vita is THE JRPG console lol.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well FF7 with the fan translation is finished. Can't really say I'd recommend the fan translation over the original but I'll get to that later.

So Cloud is back from the lifestream and his personality has totally changed. He's totally laid back now and a little less intense than previously since this is now the real Cloud. I think that did come across in the original translation ('Let's Mosey'). One thing I did notice is that Cloud isn't emo at all throughout the game. He's a cocky little **** at first but that's who Zack was but never emo.

That leads to another thing I'm not sure of. This fan translation makes it very clear that Cloud took on the persona of Zack because of the Jenova cells in his body. That's Jenova's power and it did so to try and fool Tifa and fit in. I never picked up on this in the original but then it was a long time since I played it but it's a well explained, makes sense and fits in with the lore of the universe.

So instead of progressing the story I returned to Nibelheim. Wasn't all that impressed with the reasoning for Nibelheim being rebuilt but it is there. I did the Zack flashback sequence. It's very obvious Cloud was taking on Zacks persona in this version because he acts just like Cloud did at the start of the game. The sequence in the back of the car is very funny and Zack is way more likeable and relatable in this version. Also his death is handled so much better than the crappy overwrought ending to Crisis Core that was just stupid.

Next up was returning to Junon to get the materia from the underwater reactor. I really enjoyed this sequence. The reactions and dialogue from the guards was hilarious. It's probably my favourite sequence in the game after Midgar. Got some crappy RNG on the boss carrier armour who did his strongest attack 3 times in a row right from the start. It's annoying because of how long it takes to get back to the fight. I remember the carrier armour giving me a good bit of trouble when I originally played it. Luckily the second time was much easier. The submarine minigame is pretty pants and looks way worse than I remembered it. At least it isn't tough to beat. One thing I only discovered recently was that if you fail that mission there's a whole sequence where you have to steal the red submarine.

Next up is the space sequence in rocket town. This just plain doesn't make sense why they are stopping Shinra trying to destroy meteor and there's some hair brained excuse about the huge materia 'holding memories that will help save the planet'. It's a good thing that the entire sequence is a lot of fun even if Cid comes across as a total dildo for treating Shera the way he did. I find it very hard to like him.

After that it's returning to the City of the Ancients. Wish there was more here because I love the music. I always found this part hard to understand and the whole premise of Holy and how it's going to save the world sounds like nonsense... and in the fan translation nothing really changes. The explanation is flimsy at best and makes very little sense still. Still it's a nice call back to Aeris in case you forgot about her. Holy kind of ends up doing nothing in the end anyway.

Back to Midgar and Rufus gets nuked by one of the weapons in a big CGI sequence. (Also **** you advent children for bringing dead characters back you piece of thrash!) Lots of fun to be had here and it's clearly a rip off of the episode of Evangelion where they have to take out the Angel with a super powered Sniper Rifle which I loved :)

I decided to complete all the side quests I could. First up Gelnika... ugh. What a horrible place full of horrible enemies. There's some nasty stuff in there but the rewards are good. Then it was battle square and chocobo racing. Battel Square did my head in with the rotten RNG I was getting. I usually find it so simple. Still it's the one time that the battle system because interesting in the game. It kind of turns the battle system into a kind of rogue like and despite me getting screwed over I wasn't getting that annoyed and was really enjoying my failure.

The same can't be said for Chocobo Breeding. The raising chocobos is fine but it's the racing that gets on my nerves. The race tracks in the game are all sorts of banana's and it's very clear that it was used by the Squaresoft developers to see how much they could get out of the PS1 system. There's Gouraud shading and alpha channel effects everywhere and while I found it impressive at the time I got sick of it quickly. Now it just looks garish and some of the cheats they used with the 2D sprite objects don't look so great when you are running the game in 1080p! At least the rewards are good and let you finally have a bit of fun breaking the battle system.

I did the Vincent side quest as well... and his story is kind of crappy. Sure you get to see Sephiroths real mother and learn about her... but it kind of adds nothing to the plot. Vincent is probably my least favourite character in the game and he kind of reminds me of Amarant in FF9 where is is just kind of there with little to no interesting back story. Really don't get the fan base he has, although his design is good (my god I'm praising Nomura!).

Back to the critical path and it's back to Midgar. This disappointed me so much when I first played it. Midgar was by far the best and most interesting area in the game so I was dying to go back to it and soak up the atmosphere. It just ended up being a dungeon and devoid of any NPCs to interact with... oh well. I was hoping that the fan translation added a bit more to Hojo's dialogue when you face him but it doesn't. He's just a lunatic wanting to give Sephiroth more energy by firing the canon at the crater. I really hoped there would be more about he whole 'force of will' of sephiroth. Felt good to Omnislash him.

On to the final area and it seems a lot more rushed than I remember. It's very small for a final dungeon, although perhaps I could add mercifully small. There's some real dick move enemies here that can end your run if you aren't prepared and it happened to me twice when I got an Ultima in the face.My own fault but it felt a little unfair. There's also the bug with the party members splitting up and finding items that you can duplicate. I found this whole mechanic weird and it doesn't really pay off in any meaningful way. Rushed or not the fact remains that the final area isn't all that bad. I've played some horrible final area dungeons before and it's nice to have a short but sweet one. Also, magic pots rock!

The final bosses posed no threat to me since I had the battle system well and truly broken by this point. I was going to use mimed tetra magic kotr... then I realised it would be Christmas by the time the animation was finished. Mimed 4x cut demolished all three bosses. I wish the second boss was a little bit tougher because I never really used the second team at all and it could have been a very interesting boss fight. Safer Sephiroth was a joke as well although he gave me awful trouble on my first playthrough until I went back and did the chocobo farming!

So that was FF7 with the fan translation and really it's not worth it. The original localistion might be rushed garbage but all the story beats seem to be there. In fact the fan translation kind of makes things a little worse. Since there's no ambiguity with what happens the story is less interesting as a result and seems rather formulaic. There's also some really jarring leaps in logic by the characters at points that make absolutely no sense and make it very obvious they were added as filler. The whole Huge materia quest, while a lot of fun, had some very flimsy justification.

Also there's no resolution to whether it was Sephiroth in control the whole time of Jenova. There's one mention of the 'force of will' of spehiroth in the northern crater by hojo but Hojo is kind of a dope and has gotten things wrong before. However I'd veer more towards the force of will thing because the whole Jenova being the puppet master thing seems a bit to clever for the writing in this game. There's also Sephiroth saying how the Jenova body has reached the end of it's usefulness.

Speaking of Sephiroth he comes across as a much more boring villian in this translation since there's no ambiguity to his aims. He wants to become a god and in doing so will destroy the world and its inhabitants to reach that goal. It's the same goal of nearly every FF villian. The reasoning always comes across as dumb to me and only really worked with Kefka in FF6, he was just so nuts that his reason for doing so was basically for giggles.

As for the game and how it holds up nearly 20 years on, it's still a lot of fun but the game has some major pacing issues. The first disc has a lot of down time and it was a struggle at times to get through it. The dull and slow battle system didn't help matters either. However that all changes once you hit the second disc. While the reasoning behind what you do in the second disc is flimsy at best the actually pace is like a rollercoaster ride and was a for the most part a huge amount of fun, sometimes even excellent like the return to Junon for the huge materia. I was also surprised by the games short length, it's about 20-25 hours without the grindy side quests like chocobo breeding extending the length of the game. While I much prefer RPGs to be around the 20 hours mark (some of my favourites such as Panzer Dragoon Saga and Mother 3 fit into this time frame) FF7 kind of seemed a lot longer than this due possibly to the slower sections of the first disc.

The game's status as the so called best JRPG ever or game ever just isn't right when you look at it objectively. There's games out there like Persona 3, SMT Nocturne, Grandia, Xenoblade etc. that just bring so much more to the genre and are far more consistent than FF7 which is a bit of a mess. I can actually see FF7 turning a lot of people off JRPGs now since it's very hard to get into now that the sheen of the graphics has rubbed off. It's a very interesting game though as a transition point between the 16 and 32 bit generation. It still retains a lot of hangovers from the 16 bit generation while also showing where JRPGs were heading, particularly in the Midgar section. And while the gameplay is probably the least interesting of any FF7, itself a step back form the simple systems of FF6, the tone and setting of the game were radical at the time. Square really knew what they were doing when they poached Kazushige Nojima after his writing work on the excellent Glory of Heracles 3 to try and modernise FF for the 32 bit generation and the bladerunner/steampunk world of Midgar really resonated with expectations people had of PS1 with games like Wipeout.

So it might have its problems but FF7 is still a great game and really should be played by any fan of the JRPG genre even if just to experience how interesting a game it is in many ways. I however would be very hesitant about recommending it to newcomers to the genre for fear of turning them away from it. It's strange to say that considering it was the game that helped me discover my love for RPGs. You kind of have to know what to expect heading into the game and be prepared to put up with some of the games more bull**** moments because it's worth seeing them through for the good stuff.

Right, bed time.

EDIT: Praising the Vita's OLED for its black levels is hilarious; Miura effect is really bad on the Vita.

Ah, it has a name, the Mura effect! I have noticed that on my Vita as well but I only ever see it when the screen is totally black and never during gameplay. Then again I have't played anything too dark on it, it's mostly very colourful stuff like the atelier games and Ys. Still I'd take the Mura effect over crappy black levels any day, at least the OLED gives much better colours and isn't washed out like a LCD.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I wonder retro would you play a fan translation of legend of dragoon :P?

I wonder retro would you play a fan translation of legend of dragoon :P?

How dare you!

I definitely wouldn't. FF7 has problems but it's still a good game and it's interesting enough that going through with an accurate fan translation was worth it in my mind. Legend of Dragoon is just out and out bad and the story is so basic and generic there's not really a need for a translation. Anyway the hilarious original localisation is the best thing about it. 'Master, I feel your fist inside me' :D

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ah, it has a name, the Mura effect! I have noticed that on my Vita as well but I only ever see it when the screen is totally black and never during gameplay. Then again I have't played anything too dark on it, it's mostly very colourful stuff like the atelier games and Ys. Still I'd take the Mura effect over crappy black levels any day, at least the OLED gives much better colours and isn't washed out like a LCD.

Many would argue LCD produces more natural colours; Vita's OLED is probably the worst OLED out there and is far too saturated.

The Vita's LCD black levels are perfectly fine. I wouldn't have wanted Silent Hill to be any darker on it.

Perhaps it does, I just find the backlight ends up washing the colours out. OLED tech still has a long way to go so can only get better. I've just always hated the move from CRT to LCD, sure it's more convenient but it just looks awful in comparison. Even if OLED's don't have as natural colour as LCD's I'd still take it over the washing out effect of LCD and the annoying black level issues which annoy me even on the most high end LCD models.

Perhaps it does, I just find the backlight ends up washing the colours out. OLED tech still has a long way to go so can only get better. I've just always hated the move from CRT to LCD, sure it's more convenient but it just looks awful in comparison. Even if OLED's don't have as natural colour as LCD's I'd still take it over the washing out effect of LCD and the annoying black level issues which annoy me even on the most high end LCD models.

I know little about screen technology but isn't CRT backlitX1000? Don't they have a massive bulb behind the tubes?

No. It's an electron beam hitting a phosphour so each element is lit independently. It's why the black levels are perfect, there's no backlight to interfer and they are only lit as much as they are needed to produce that level of black. In a way it's a bit like a Plasma screen.

I know why CRT was replaced, you need a bit deep piece of equipment to get a good picture with little curvature artifacts but it makes CRT bigger, heavier, more power hungry and more expensive than flat screens even if the picture is much better (also response times are instantaneous, there's always some lag in a LCD and it's very noticable if you take fighting games seriously). I'm very jealous of my friend in the US that has a 1080p HD CRT, there's only a few ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

@RetroGamer

Yeah, I don't get people sticking the "emo" label on Cloud. He's never remotely like that throughout the game. He's arrogant, cocky and sticks to himself (he behaves like this as that's how he perceives a 1st class soldier should be + because of him subconsciously creating a persona based on all of Zack's memories).

Regarding Jenova cells, Cloud behaving like he does throughout the first portion of the game isn't Jenova cells making him do it. He does it because of the effects of the Mako poisoning from the Shinra mansion, completely turning him into a vegetable for 4 years and causing huge amounts of trauma on his mind. During the time when Zack rescues cloud from the mansion and tries to get them back to Midgar (aka when Zack dies), Cloud is barely cognitive and just listening to Zack talk. Zack mentions how he wants to be a mercenary when he gets back to Midgar. So Cloud being so messed up from the sheer trauma of Hojo's experiments and Zack dying, completely fabricates a new identity in which he becomes someone else. He's ashamed he never became a first class soldier himself too, so he takes on Zack's persona and memories (they were best friends so Cloud new pretty much everything about Zack), as well as how he thinks someone from 1st class soldier would be.

Regarding Sephiroth, Sephiroth is in control of Jenova the whole game. He has completely taken control over her cells and how he can use them at his own will. The REAL Sephiroth is sleeping in the northern crater the whole time throughout the main story of FF7. The sephiroth who kills President Shinra, who you meet on the cargo boat before the Jenova boss fight, who kills Aeris, who injures Tseng at the temple of the ancients etc, are all pieces of Jenova being shapeshifted into Sephiroth's likeliness and controlled by Sephiroth himself from the northern crater. During the Nibelheim events when Sephiroth is stabbed by cloud and thrown into the Mako reactor, he joins the lifestream and absorbs all the knowledge of the ancients, and is carried up to the Northern Cave where he basically lies there and controls Jenova's cells to do his bidding (black materia, controlling cloud, making sephiroth clones etc). I think the reasoning behind him being able to control her is that he absorbs all the ancients knowledge and basically becomes a demi-god, and thus is able to exert his influence over her. It also ties in with the Jenova reunion with Sephiroth himself instigates.

But back on track, I don't see the "emo" aspect in Cloud, at all. Maybe during his breakdown and self reconstruction in Mideel where he is all messed up and trying to get his own persona back, that might be seen as kind of, well, depressing, but it's hardly something that's part of his character, that's one event in the game. The mideel event with Cloud coming back to his senses and real self is one of the best parts of the game story wise. Speaking of Emo, how about Vincent in 7, there's an annoying character. I agree with your points, bland backstory and very dull. If people really want to see an emo character, try FF8. Squall will make you want to punch him repeatedly within the first 30 minutes of the game. And it NEVER let's up across 4 discs :pac:

I do agree with most of your points though. While I agree the game is great I do believe it is super over rated and blown out of proportion for how supposedly "amazing" it is. However one thing you didn't touch on is the game's difficulty. FF7 is way too easy and simple to break. I recently played through it again and never saw a game over screen once. I don't believe I even got KOed once in my whole play through. The materia system albeit interesting and pretty good on paper allows for too many broken combos to be pulled off, and Enemy Skill completely breaks the game. Learning Beta early on from the Midgar Zolom (very easy to do) completely sets you up to one or two shot any bosses through Disc 1. Learning Aqualung early (way before the 2nd Jenova fight, where most people learn it) is also super cheap and let's you completely annihilate any bosses throughout the game, too. Magic Breath is the next big E Skill that completely ties up how dumb E Skill is. I never once saw myself using magic materia, or healing materia. I spammed E Skills with ease and completely dominated any bosses, and this works up until disc 3, and even throughout the north crater too. Learning White Wind is also the best healing spell in the game as it also casts Esuna, too. I never once used any restore materia or healing items, I just used White Wind whenever I needed to be healed. Don't get me started on big guard, holy crap what a broken spell. Completely breaks the game pre disc 2! And that's before you even pick up any of the really scummy materia, like quadra magic, mime, KOTR, counter, etc. It kinda sucks because there are some cool materias in the game but there's never a need to use them as E Skill does everything you need them to do and more.

The Northern Crater duplication glitch is really cheap. Picking up three mystiles abusing this bug and kitting out your whole party with them is just a joke. It also stacks with your Dex stat so you avoid 75% of every attack in the game, and you can farm speed sources too, to make it even higher, afaik. By then the game is even easier now, and the last bosses become a cakewalk. Fighting the weapons however I found was a fun challenge, but even then is completely breakable by using cheap materia combos to wombo combo them to death. The only challenging part of my playthrough was farming 2 sets of Master Magic, Master Command and Master Summon, the latter being the hardest. (Only needed to farm 2 sets as the third set is given to you through the Weapon's sidequest). AP farming at the north crater is super easy but just takes a lot of time. This is an optional thing to do but is easily the hardest and most boring part of any full completion playthrough.

While I agree the game has a good but confusing/somewhat convoluted storyline, the game is still excellent. Over rated and not challenging in the slightest, but still very good. I do believe the FF7 series overall is pretty lackluster, spawning so many mediocre and bad games (Dirge of Cerberus, CC etc), and don't even get me started on Advent Children...ugh. I think the remake also won't be anything like people expect and they will end up doing something whacky and off the wall with the game. Which I think won't be good, they should just leave it alone and not bother remaking it, but that's just my opinion.

TL:DR anyone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Interesting read on the practical perils of localisation, in regards to Trails in the Sky 2: http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/126706403020/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky-second

Separately: Is Suikoden 1 preferably played ahead of Suikoden 2, or can I jump straight into the sequel?

Interesting read on the practical perils of localisation, in regards to Trails in the Sky 2: http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/126706403020/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky-second

Separately: Is Suikoden 1 preferably played ahead of Suikoden 2, or can I jump straight into the sequel?

You can jump into the sequel, but I would recommend playing the first which is a very good game in its own right, you also have a few returning characters from the first game in the sequel and there is some references to it as well, the references are not really important, but adds a continuity factor to the game.

Suikoden 2 is a much, much better game though. Suikoden 1 is apparently fairly dated according to the recent talk about it on usgamer.

Suikoden 2 is a much, much better game though. Suikoden 1 is apparently fairly dated according to the recent talk about it on usgamer.

I know this.
    According to other people.

• Advertisement

@Ramza

On to the Jenova Cells and how they affect Cloud, it's only something I picked up on playing the new translation. Sephiroth really tries to nail home that Cloud is a nobody, just an artificially created Sephiroth clone much more in the fan translation. They really hammer this home and it gives greater impact to when you find out the truth. Also, and I hope I'm remembering this correctly, when you see the flashback to when Tifa meets cloud at the train station it's very much implied that Cloud took on the persona of Zack due to the Jenova cell's ability to create and distort memories. Sure there's probably others factors like the ones you mentioned but this does seem heavily implied in this fan translation. That's counter to the Jenova being the puppet master theory which there are absolutely no allusions to in the fan translation, and the lack of evidence there really strongly suggests it's not true.

I agree with you as well on how easy the game is although I did have some embarassing game over moments. However I think the ease of the game worked in its favour in a way. Sure the game can be broken wide open if you know what you are doing. The materia system is also not very deep at all and simple. However while this makes it kind of dull for RPG fans for newbies to the genre (which was near everyone playing the game on PS1) it meant the game was very accessible because even if you half understood the battle system (I didn't know you could equip accessories until my second playthrough!) you still could breeze through the game. The demon wall and carrier armour were stumbling blocks for players but it just meant that the player was now more experienced with the battle system and would have to experiment a bit and thus learn the system a bit more.

I know this.
    According to other people.

Eh, why the snarky remark. Just giving some advice that maybe going straight to Suikoden 2 might be a better choice based on what I heard a few people saying. It's been a long time since I played the Suikoden games so I'd well believe S1 hasn't aged the best since even back then when I was gobbling up any RPG I got my hands on it felt a bit 'twee'.

It may not of aged as well as its successor visually, but it still has a sold story with enjoyable characters, people would notice a larger difference if they played 2 and then played 1, the original does not take that much time either finish.

Another wall of text incoming, sorry to anyone who dislikes essays :pac:

@RetroGamer:

I suppose it could be a mixture of the two but throughout the lore/storyline it's more evident that Jenova's cells played little part in Cloud's mental breakdown and fake persona he creates. Cloud's facade of thinking he is Zack/a 1st Class Soldier is attributed mainly to the trauma he suffered in the Nibelheim mansion and extreme mental damage from mako poisoning. It messes with his head big time. It completely damaged his mind and crippled him as a person. He was also ashamed of himself for not becoming a 1st class soldier in the end so to carry on Zack's legacy and live up to his own dreams he creates that persona. I'm sure some of it can be chalked up to the Jenova cells inside him but most of it is definitely his own doing. He doesn't confuse his memories with Zack's but merely takes Zack's as his own and parades around telling people them, pretending he is a first class soldier. Cloud knew pretty much everything about Zack. Jenova cells can mimic someone physically and absorb their memories, but cannot create any. it's perfectly plausible that the Jenova cells do exert an influence over cloud and make him believe his memories of Zack are actually him. They can definitely be attributed towards him being so distorted and messed up, for sure. I think it's more from the mako/trauma itself but as you said it's definitely a mixture of both, no doubt. It just depends which side you lean more towards I guess.

Another relevance the Jenova cells in cloud have are with regards to the Jenova Reunion theory which was put forward by Hojo in the FF7 story. Jenova Reunion theory is 100% true as can be seen when all the Sephiroth clones start going towards the Northern Cave to join up with Sephiroth/Jenova. Also can be seen throughout the story when Sephiroth controls Cloud/exerts his influence over his Jenova cells at certain intervals. Heck the whole game up to Cloud giving Sephiroth the black materia is Cloud subconsciously being controlled by/drawn to Sephiroth. Cloud therefore was a complete success, and not a failure, which Hojo/Sephiroth keep calling him throughout the story.

Either way it's all very confusing and between mistranslations (the word clone is used a lot in the FF7 localisations but isn't an accurate word as it implies something totally different) and general wackiness it becomes hard to follow 100%. It took me a good while to fully understand this whole aspect of the FF7 story. It's a little too convoluted at times.

I typed in 'Class Zero' into google to have a look at the Dota 2 moogle given to PC pre-orders.

And Google with its drop down suggestions kindly completely ruined the plot and ending of Type-0 for me.

Thanks so much Google. Goddamit.

What JRPGs do we have to look forward to in the next few years? PS4 is the only next gen system I own so FF7 remake, FF15, and Tales of Zestiria/Berseria are all that are really on my radar at the minute. Other than that I don't really know of any others, or what to look out for. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Ramza wrote: »
    What JRPGs do we have to look forward to in the next few years? PS4 is the only next gen system I own so FF7 remake, FF15, and Tales of Zestiria/Berseria are all that are really on my radar at the minute. Other than that I don't really know of any others, or what to look out for. Any ideas?

Persona 5.

Ramza wrote: »

Star Ocean 5
    Tales of Zestiria
    FF VII
    FF XV
    Persona 5
    Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance
    Dark Souls 3
    Kingdom Hearts 3
    Sword Art Online: Lost Song
    Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment
    Saint Seiya: Soldiers’ Soul
    Senran Kagura Estival Versus

There are plenty more, but these are the ones that have been confirmed for localisation on the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'm looking forward to Legend of Legacy.

• Advertisement

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to Legend of Legacy.

It's meant to be generic and trope ridden so don't get your hopes up. Awesome soundtrack though.

Advertisement