Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Haven't played it yet, need a new ps3 -_-

I was really hoping for that on the PS4 or ported to the pc, as i don't have my PS3 anymore either. Shame, as i quite liked the first.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Kiith wrote: »
    I was really hoping for that on the PS4 or ported to the pc, as i don't have my PS3 anymore either. Shame, as i quite liked the first.

Hopefully they'll remaster both and release them on the ps4 in a single package :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

There's no real RNG since you can use the mash pause trick to control the slots (or at least to stop it where you like). Although that's cheap  Having a ribbon helps a tonne in the arena of course. It took me a few tries but its very doable with this trick albeit long winded. Sticking yourself in the back row and abusing enemy skill (big guard, trine, aqualung, white wind) makes the arena really simple at times, while items such as bolt plumes and the like are REALLY useful when afflicted with status ailments. One of the big reasons I horde turbo ethers in this game is specifically for the arena because I know that the E Skill spam eats Mp like hell.

Also for gp you can buy it from the guy who appears at the entrance (keep re entering and there's a 1/8 chance he appears), really handy trick as I hated grinding those minigames.

Even later in the game having mystiles from the northern cave makes it an absolute cake walk (50% chance to evade everything) when wanting to go for the rare prizes.

There's also a way to exploit the game to get a golden chocobo in like 10 minutes too, if you wanna be cheap again 

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well the pause trick doesn't seem to work on the PC version and anyway I want to do it legit.bhad some trouble but finally did it just there, getting the last 2000 BP took about 5 times longer than the first 30000 :rolleyes: had enough GP from chocoholic racing. Speaking of which had some god awful rng there getting a mountain chocobo with the right sex. Kept getting a female one then discovered walking in and out of the stables changes the rng seed. It took me about 30 tries on something that should have been a 1/4 chance. Anyway of only a little bit more of chocobo racing nonsense left before I can head on and destroy the end of game dungeons. I'm actually surprised how little content there is in the game and how short it is because I remember it being longer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Battle Square in FF7 and RNJesus can go get ****ed right now. Was at it for hours last night trying to get Omnislash. Got 50 GP to give me 5 goes in the battle square which I figured was enough because I usually can get it in 3 goes. At the end I was 60 BP short for it. So I went all out on that crappy basketball game and got myself 250 GP, way more than enough to get BP. 2am I finished up, after 25 goes I only finished the run through battle square twice and ended up with 19000 BP. I just had endless runs of my accessory breaking and meeting a confusion causing enemy, getting one shotted by the Dragon or else that stupid ghost ship that can just throw you out of the arena to instantly end it for you and coming up against that evil tonberry so many fecking times. I've never had this much trouble before. I probably should just level up a bit and just do the chocobo breeding... god I hate chocobo breeding.

*spots JRPG thread on first page*

*spots last poster is Retr0gamer*

"Bet I know what game he'll be hatin' on!"

"Yep!!"

:D

Battle Arena ain't that hard brah, look up some guides if you're having difficulty ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Eh, I'm not hating on it, I'm actually having fun with the battle arena despite it kicking my ass. It's one of the only places you need some actual strategy to beat.

Chocobo racing can feck right off though.

Chocobo racing can feck right off though.

Probably one of the best minigames in a Final Fantasy, depth and fun wise. When that gold chocobo comes out, god damn.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've always had a soft spot for Chocobo racing. Sure the actual racing is dreadful, but I love how extreme the progression from braindead starting Chocobo to the basically 'auto-win' gold one.

Always disappointed none of the subsequent FF games returned to the zany fun of Chocobo breeding in FF7 to revise and build on it (although I see racing is in FFXIV). FF9 didn't get it quite right. It was always one of my favourite parts of FF7, and triumphant when the gold one finally hatches. Plus dat music.

And what a waste the Chocobo Racing spin-off was :(

Playing through it last night and fun and depth were the furtherest things I was experience. It's just talk to the Chocobo Sage until you get all the info out of him then catch some chocobos, juice them up with Silkis Greens and it's auto-win until you get to Class A. Then abuse the RNG to get the right offspring and repeat except you get them into S Class. I suppose there's way worse minigames in FF7 and the pay off is worth it but it feels very ropey and thrown together. I think when it comes to end of game side quests RPGs are much better sticking to their mechanics rather than throwing something in like Chocobo racing. Battle Square and the side quests in FF6 are far better as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I see the Danganronpa games are currently half price on the Vita. I vaguely remember hearing good things about them, anyone played them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I see the Danganronpa games are currently half price on the Vita. I vaguely remember hearing good things about them, anyone played them?

I have played both and have the third pre-ordered, they are Visual Novels and you will be doing a lot of reading ( both are very well written) and running around, but the characters are all charming and different, the villain is as evil as it gets and if you have played and enjoyed any of the Phoenix Wright games you will find the courtroom aspect of the is very rewarding

The one thing I would say about it though, the characters all have strong anime type tropes and this can go over some peoples heads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm playing the first at the moment (near the end), and while they're generally well liked, I'd actually recommend avoiding them. The whole story is overstretched and hopelessly contrived at times, obsessed with overly convoluted sci-fi plotting instead of being about anything remotely substantial. The characters are shallow and proudly trope-y, and a few prone to radical, nonsensical changes. The trials are faster paced than the likes of Phoenix Wright, and try to add more mechanics to the mix - but at the same time several of said mechanics feel awkward and prone to trial and error. It's a game that would almost certainly have benefited significantly from being around half as long as it is, where whatever intrigue there actually is would have more opportunity to develop amidst the endless streams of expository dialogue (a great indicator of the inherent limitations of the visual novel form).

I'm pushing through out of stubbornness, but honestly it's a bit of a chore, and cannot see where the almost universal praise has come from. It's like all the worst parts of Virtue's Last Reward with none of the best parts left in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I hated it personally but loads of people loved it.

I heard if you like Phoenix Wright you'll love it.

I (mostly) like Phoenix Wright and hated it :pac:

I (mostly) like Phoenix Wright and hated it :pac:

Yeah I can see this. Love Phoenix Wright, but that's special. Something in the same style isn't necessarily be as good. And looking at Daganonrapa, yeah doesn't fire off any interest. Neogaf swears by it. Lots of smart people on there but they also swear by Persona 4, which bored me to tears. There's a sizeable and vocal weeaboo demographic on there is the thing; if you're big into J-stuff I'd say Dagan would be fine.

Spent a few hours last night getting that gold chocobo. Shouldn't be too hard getting through the last two areas of the game with it well and truely broken now :) Not much depth to the chocobo racing I'm afraid, my tactic was set the chocobo to manual, get to top speed then turn on steam chat to talk to my friend about how much Konami sucks. The wait for the other racers to finish is excruciating without steam chat but you do notice some strange things when you are waiting like how they messed up the alpha channels on the Kanji for the graphic to let you know you are in automatic mode during a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Man you will need therapy after going up against the weapons soon, Ruby and Emerald I still wake up screaming every now and then over those two bastards.

Danganronpa is worth a go, some very weird twists and crazy characters fun game until it gets three or four class trials in, then it just starts to frustrate.

Not even going to bother with Ruby and Emerald weapon. They just require arbitrary grinding of source items to succeed. I've done it once, I don't need to do it again. It's just not rewarding at all and reminded me of the FFX end game side quests.

Spent a few hours last night getting that gold chocobo. Shouldn't be too hard getting through the last two areas of the game with it well and truely broken now :) Not much depth to the chocobo racing I'm afraid, my tactic was set the chocobo to manual, get to top speed then turn on steam chat to talk to my friend about how much Konami sucks. The wait for the other racers to finish is excruciating without steam chat but you do notice some strange things when you are waiting like how they messed up the alpha channels on the Kanji for the graphic to let you know you are in automatic mode during a race.

It's like you've literally spent dozens of hours going through the game just to hate on it, just to find everything you possibly can to hate it because people told you your existing reasons for hating it weren't enough.

• Advertisement

I'm only hating on the chocobo racing so far. If you read through the rest of what I wrote about the game there's plenty I like about it but you are just selectively going through what I wrote taking out only the negative stuff and even taking positive stuff and believing it's negative because it suits some agenda you have.

Anyway to address that the points there, last night really didn't reveal any great depth or fun to be had in the chocobo racing and I'm glad it's over because it was a poor experience. As for the alpha channel, it's not a big negative at all, a minor aesthetic issue that I only noticed since I was staring at the screen for so long. I Just thought it was interesting as you can see that chocobo racing was a bit rushed (although it's a minor minigame so it's hardly going to get a huge anmount of development time anyway).

As for the battle system now being broken, I just completed what is the longest and most arduous end of game side quest in the game so I better be getting broken skills and equipment. Knights of the Round, Quadra magic and Mime are extremely broken but it doesn't mean they are bad. They are designed to be that way and a broken battle system is usually a lot of fun, just look at the amount of fun it is to break FFV, FF8, FF6 and Tactics, it's what makes those games great. It's a pity FF7 didn't hav more broken mechanics to experiment with.

Also it's closer to 2 dozen hours, the game is a lot shorter than I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I'm only hating on the chocobo racing so far. If you read through the rest of what I wrote about the game there's plenty I like about it but you are just selectively going through what I wrote taking out only the negative stuff and even taking positive stuff and believing it's negative because it suits some agenda you have.

Anyway to address that the points there, last night really didn't reveal any great depth or fun to be had in the chocobo racing and I'm glad it's over because it was a poor experience. As for the alpha channel, it's not a big negative at all, a minor aesthetic issue that I only noticed since I was staring at the screen for so long. I Just thought it was interesting as you can see that chocobo racing was a bit rushed (although it's a minor minigame so it's hardly going to get a huge anmount of development time anyway).

As for the battle system now being broken, I just completed what is the longest and most arduous end of game side quest in the game so I better be getting broken skills and equipment. Knights of the Round, Quadra magic and Mime are extremely broken but it doesn't mean they are bad. They are designed to be that way and a broken battle system is usually a lot of fun, just look at the amount of fun it is to break FFV, FF8, FF6 and Tactics, it's what makes those games great. It's a pity FF7 didn't hav more broken mechanics to experiment with.

Also it's closer to 2 dozen hours, then game is a lot shorter than I remember.

w summon master, with 2 mime masters and a kotr and haedes makes a joke out of ruby

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I see Shin Megami Tensei IV is down to €9.99 for the 3DS. That's got to be worth it, right?

I see Shin Megami Tensei IV is down to €9.99 for the 3DS. That's got to be worth it, right?

Yep, it's excellent even if it gets far too easy after the big game changer 5 hours in. Also has the worst world map in the history of JRPGs but other than that I thoroughly enjoyed it, so much I new game plused it and beat the nasty DLC bosses.

Yep, its a steal at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I bought it at full price (19.99) and wish I waited, but still think I got a steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cobblestone Hammer

Definitely. Its a pretty fun game, though the world map is annoying to navigate at times.

You'll want to keep a map with locations written on it handy after you get through the first dungeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If I wanted to play some of these games without spending an arm and a leg would getting a second hand PS Vita be the best bet? What sort of price would I likely be looking at?

Phantasy Star Online 2 is getting a PS4 release in Japan next year, chances of a western release are very slim though.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    If I wanted to play some of these games without spending an arm and a leg would getting a second hand PS Vita be the best bet? What sort of price would I likely be looking at?

A new Vita is about 189.99 - 199.99, CEX sell them for about 130.00 used, make sure you get the old OLED model and not the new slim one as the screen quality is far superior than the new model.

Advertisement