Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's meant to be generic and trope ridden so don't get your hopes up.

With a title like Legend of Legacy? Getouttahere

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to Legend of Legacy.

When is that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Q1 2016 according to wikipedia.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Dungeon travellers 2 was released in the states yesterday for vita.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Alright lads!

So I got me a psp AND a Vita over the past couple of weeks. Any recommendations on some action RPG's for me?

I have just started on the grand adventure of final fantasy. Started 1 played for HOURS, forgot to save, died, argh. So moved onto 3, loving it and saving now :)

Any gems I should look put for on both systems?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For action RPGs you can't beat the Ys series. The best to go for are oath in falghana, Seven and Celceta. Can't go wrong with any of them. Also I heard Brandish is excellent as well.

For action RPGs you can't beat the Ys series. The best to go for are oath in falghana, Seven and Celceta. Can't go wrong with any of them. Also I heard Brandish is excellent as well.

Thanks! I have the Ys games on the psp, which I will get to Seven as soon as I finish ff3. I ordered Celceta a few days ago super cheap think it was €15 new), it was out of stock where I ordered but I'll get it some day.

Brandish, quick look on Amazon there, is it in Japanese or is there English subs?

I don't know Japanese sadly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

God you are playing FF3. Don't bother, it's not good at all. They slowed the battle system right down in the 3D remake so it's really annoying and overall it's not a great game to begin with.

Brandish is only on PSN in english.

God you are playing FF3. Don't bother, it's not good at all. They slowed the battle system right down in the 3D remake so it's really annoying and overall it's not a great game to begin with.

Brandish is only on PSN in english.

Well to be fair, it's kinda my first FF game ever to play through so I'm none the wiser on the slowness of it. I'll keep going with it for the moment anyway as I do like it so far.

Yeah just reading up on Brandish on wiki, it's a remake and only on psn. I'll add it to my list so, thanks.

Btw, I'm only starting out in the the world of RPG's. I always found them intimidating to get into, but not anymore.

You can do a hell of a lot better than FF3. The FF4 remake on the PSP is a much better place to start, much faster paced and better story (if cliched as hell). Just please stay away from the PS1 versions of FF4, 5 and 6 as they are atrocious.

• Advertisement

You can do a hell of a lot better than FF3. The FF4 remake on the PSP is a much better place to start, much faster paced and better story (if cliched as hell). Just please stay away from the PS1 versions of FF4, 5 and 6 as they are atrocious.

Really? I've been reading that FF3 is a good place to start for a noob.
    Yup I have my eye out for a copy of ff4 also on the psp, I'll find it soon enough. And I won't be going anywhere near any of those ps1 games, thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: got an email from play Asia this moring taking about this http://m.play-asia.com/omega-labyrinth/13/70929z a rogue like game with boobies lol. €50 though, anyone know anything about it?

They probably mean Final Fantasy 6 on the SNES. It was known as FF3 in the US. The japanes FF4 and FF6 were FF2 and FF3 respectively in the US then FF7 came out and corrected the chronology. Confusing isn't it :) FF6 would be an excellent place to start, it's a great game and easy enough for beginners. FF3 on the other hand is a grindy, bland 8-bit RPG made even slower in the remake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I found Memories of Celceta quite disappointing I have to admit. It's not a bad game, and there's scattered moments of greatness (the main goal of exploring to compose a detailed map is simple but very effective), but I found it sluggish going by Ys standards. Not the combat, of course - it's as fast and punchy as ever. But the game starts slowly, and right through to the end feels like it has more filler than any of its predecessors I've played. The menus and crafting systems are a bit on the laborious side, too, and the game grinds to a halt for narrative purposes from time to time - and story has never been Ys' biggest strength.

Really? I've been reading that FF3 is a good place to start for a noob.

FF3 is a fine game :) FF4 is the best Final Fantasy before 7/8/9 came out on; I don't know if I should recommend playing it in 2D or 3D though. I kinda think 2D but that could be my nostalgia at play.

Either way 3 in 3D is a larf. Keep going with it.

Can't agree with you on 3D, the NES version is fun for what it is but the 3D remake annoyed me before the end and the job system just wasn't as refined as the one in FF5, new jobs replaced the old ones rather than still being useful and allowing you to mix and match abilities.

As for FF4 definitely play it in 2D first as the PSP remake. The 3D remake is fantastic but it's more a remake in the way Resident Evil REmake was on the gamecube and they also really bumped up the difficulty. It's really good but definitely should be played after the original version :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I found Memories of Celceta quite disappointing I have to admit. It's not a bad game, and there's scattered moments of greatness (the main goal of exploring to compose a detailed map is simple but very effective), but I found it sluggish going by Ys standards. Not the combat, of course - it's as fast and punchy as ever. But the game starts slowly, and right through to the end feels like it has more filler than any of its predecessors I've played. The menus and crafting systems are a bit on the laborious side, too, and the game grinds to a halt for narrative purposes from time to time - and story has never been Ys' biggest strength.

Interesting, it's the one and only Ys game I've played and I really enjoyed it, must check out some of the others now.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

The rejiggered version of Ys 6: the Ark of Napishtim on steam is absolutely excellent as well, some awesome music and battles in that one
    Ramza wrote: »
    What JRPGs do we have to look forward to in the next few years? PS4 is the only next gen system I own so FF7 remake, FF15, and Tales of Zestiria/Berseria are all that are really on my radar at the minute. Other than that I don't really know of any others, or what to look out for. Any ideas?

man, LOADS of them
    Persona 5
    Yoru No Nai Kuni
    Atelier Sophie
    Star Ocean 5
    Exist Archive
    a couple of digimon games
    a couple of sword art online games
    Vanillaware's new game at TGS
    new Nier game
    Ys 8
    Dragon Quest 11
    Separately: Is Suikoden 1 preferably played ahead of Suikoden 2, or can I jump straight into the sequel?

Definitely play Suikoden 1 first, it's not quite as good as 2 but a lot of the characters from 1 return in 2 and there's a bonus if you have save data from 1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

First Tokyo Xanadu trailer, good chance of it being localised next year with it being XSEED.

Tom from XSeed won't shut up about it so it's pretty much a shoe in for localisation, apparently they'll be localising some older Xanadu games as well.

Grandia 2 HD is coming out later today on Steam and GOG, it will be 25% off as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Hela

Xenji wrote: »
    Grandia 2 HD is coming out later today on Steam and GOG, it will be 25% off as well.

Does Game Arts even still exist?

First Tokyo Xanadu trailer, good chance of it being localised next year with it being XSEED.

Thought that being released in europe/ na at the end of next month?

:EDIT: NVM its the Japanese release date.

Hela wrote: »

They are still alive and kicking 30 years on, staff members also help out other Japanese studios.

I think they are just a contractor now like Treasure doing small tasks for other developers.

FFportal and Triple Triad on Android is pretty fun, didn't say no to free FFI remake either. (For a limited time only I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

And you can import your Dreamcast saves:eek:.

http://steamed.kotaku.com/dreamcast-saves-work-with-the-new-pc-version-of-grandia-1726267619

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Hela wrote: »

Yes but sadly a few key members have passed away :(

they make a lot of smaller games these days, no epic RPGs, but maybe if things liek this do well they can be coaxed back, I hope so anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I just noticed Grandia 2 on steam, I really should get around to playing Grandia that I have on PSP.

I also beat Trails in the Sky this morning. Lost to the final form of the last boss once, but on my second try, I kept using Earth Wall which made it much easier.

A demo for Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance will be available on Tuesday.

• Advertisement

Got Lost Dimension which I really want to play but in the time it took to come from playasia I got addicted to Bloodborne and started kotor. Oh well, it will have to wait.

Advertisement