Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't really blame Atlus on that, they haven't got a publishing wing in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

So it was Odin Sphere, the new project has been rumored to be a sci-fi style since the announcement last week.

Princess Crown has a good translation by Anoop Gantayat, if people want to go down that route.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is that translation a text document/website? I'll glad he has done one but it's hard going playing a fan translation that way. I tried it with Wachenrodder on the Saturn and it was a bit of a slog and I gave up rather early. I do remember the website translation he had being quite humourous. I remember it was taken down a few times so hopefully it has a more permanent home.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Is that translation a text document/website? I'll glad he has done one but it's hard going playing a fan translation that way. I tried it with Wachenrodder on the Saturn and it was a bit of a slog and I gave up rather early. I do remember the website translation he had being quite humourous. I remember it was taken down a few times so hopefully it has a more permanent home.

It was on his website years ago, but no longer exists now, although you can still get it using the Wayback Machine.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080304171404/http://www.andriasang.com/princesscrown/pcrown/translation.html

The Odin sphere trailer looks great. Looks like there's loads of new content, levels now have verticality and the characters have been given new moves as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So beat the first disc of FF7 using the new fan translation. Really it doesn't add much to the game at all so far. The original translation was full of spelling errors but it's all kind of there and even fan translation using very similar localisation to the original game. Also it seems to introduce a nasty bug which I seem to be the only one that has discovered it. Doing the Yuffie side quest plonks you outside the Midgar Zolom which if you save is a game breaking bug meaning you can't do the side quest until much later in the game (Which is annoying because I love that side quest).

Any a summary of some parts. Costa Del Sol seems so out of place in the game like a few other areas in the game. I always loved the dungeon on the way to North Corel, lots of lovely little visual flourishes that add to the atmosphere. Golden Saucer is a nice idea but the mini games are all awful and the music is terrible! Battle square is good fun at least and the date when you return is still a really well done scene. So cute.

I still hate cosmo canyon other than the Observatory scene which is really well done. The dungeon is really annoying and the whole RedXIII side story is really lame. Why didn't his mother just tell him his dad wasn't a coward... I mean it could have sopped years of childhood trauma and there was no reason to with hold that information!

The return to Nibelheim is another thing that seems out of place. They never explain (as far as I'm aware) why the place hasn't been burned down. The getting Vincent side quest is fun but the Nibelheim dungeon is poor as well. The enemies are just too annoying to fight. Speaking of annoying enemies there's a two headed guy at the bottom of Shinra mansion that goes through about 50 seconds of animation before he does a move. By far the most annoying enemy to fight.

Rocket Town, no complaints here. Getting the Tiny Bronco was great. After that I'm not a fan of how aimless they leave you. There's no clear indication of where to go and the house you have to visit is not shown on the map. Then Cloud started mentioning that Sephiroth is looking for Black Materia... but he hadn't been told that yet. Bad writing there Square.

I was dreading the Temple of the Ancients... and ended up quite enjoying the dungeon. It's here where Sephiroth gets reeeaaalllyyy lame. He starts telling you about how he wants all the power to become a god and becomes a cookie cutter JRPG bad guy. There's also a boss fight against a red dragon that just seems to be thrown in there because they have the boss programmed and no where to put him. It's really jarring because the Death Wall or whatever boss comes straight after. Speaking of which I remember saying this boss wasn't too tough well I game overed twice on him! For shame! :) Since I didn't visit Wutai I was way behind on levels so his damage outpur was insane. His attacks were one hit KO's against my team. I solved that by putting them in the back row where his damage was manageable.

The whole excavation bit before the temple of the ancients is annoying and really feels out of place. The Lunar Harp is a McGuffin and another excuse for a terrible minigame, thie game is obsessed with them.

The City of the Ancients though is great. Lovely art desingn I just wish there was more because the music there is far and away the stand out track from the soundtrack. Got to say the whole Aeris dying thing did get me a little emotional when I thought I'd feel nothing, even the god awful dialogue afterwards couldn't spoil it. Aeris just comes across as a much stronger (and dirtier!) character in the new translation and is really endearing.

I think the game could really benefit with a major update for the remake because it really needs it. The battle system is really uninteresting and the materia system way too simple. Battles are kind of just there and never really pose a challenge (except... demon wall :) ) and just get in the way unlike something like SMT where each encounter can surprise you and the enemies are always a threat if you let them get a turn or two in. I just hope they handle it well. Still I'm enjoying the game enough that at this stage I'll see it through to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

The return to Nibelheim is another thing that seems out of place. They never explain (as far as I'm aware) why the place hasn't been burned down.
    It's explained in a letter when you get Tifa's 4th limit break later on
    and double spoiler on that:
    Everyone in the town who wasnt already killed by Sephiroth was killed by Shinra, they rebuiltt he town and moved new people in there so no questions would be asked

pretty much everything in FF7 is explained, its just a matter of finding hidden secrets tucked away in there, I actually like that a lot about it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Started watching Mega64 videos and found a few good ones, here is the history of final fantasy even has Hironobu Sakaguchi in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Am a few hours into Atelier Ayesha, seems like a balancing act between money, materials and time. Am concerned over the latter, can I potentially waste the whole game noodling about with the cauldron or does time only matter for the short term quests?

Combat is fairly run-of-the-mill, hopefully there's a system or two to spice that up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

penev10 wrote: »
    Am a few hours into Atelier Ayesha, seems like a balancing act between money, materials and time. Am concerned over the latter, can I potentially waste the whole game noodling about with the cauldron or does time only matter for the short term quests?

Combat is fairly run-of-the-mill, hopefully there's a system or two to spice that up.

You can waste all your time doing stuff and you'll get a bad ending, but dont bother trying to go for the true ending first time through anyway, just do what you can and enjoy the game

The Atelier games remind me of Persona in how they are structured. You can't do everything first time so just enjoy what you can. Combat has never been that strong, the real fun is creating ridiculous OP weapons and items.

Thinking of picking up Sword Art Online Re: Hollow Fragment Director's Cut for the PS4 next week, Aquria seem to have fixed a lot of the issues with the original and have sorted out the dodgy localisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Xenji wrote: »
    Thinking of picking up Sword Art Online Re: Hollow Fragment Director's Cut for the PS4 next week, Aquria seem to have fixed a lot of the issues with the original and have sorted out the dodgy localisation.

Won't be next week. SAO has been delayed until the 4th of August.

Won't be next week. SAO has been delayed until the 4th of August.

Boo-urns!

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is coming to NA at least will in 2016 on PS4, PS3, and PS Vita.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I started Chocobo's Dungeon (the Wii game) and put almost 6 hours into it so far. Got beat by a boss and took a break.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Lost dimension is out in the stated tomorrow and the end of august in europe.

Oh, didn't realise now that it's by Lancarse who created Etrian Odyssey and Strange Journey!

Oh, didn't realise now that it's by Lancarse who created Etrian Odyssey and Strange Journey!

I gonna order it from vgp :)

• Advertisement

Have it ordered from VGP as well, Jun Kumagai wrote all the Persona 3 movie scripts, along with all of Hamatora and Psycho-Pass 2.

Have it ordered from VGP as well, Jun Kumagai wrote all the Persona 3 movie scripts, along with all of Hamatora and Psycho-Pass 2.

Might chance dhl delivery too :pac:

Might chance dhl delivery too :pac:

Did you get it all right the last time?

Did you get it all right the last time?

ya came on the monday :) no custom charges .

The tori ace and chi soft collaboration has been announced and its a vita/PS4 game. Good to see their new owners are letting them still make console games. I hope it's a game where tori ace handle the battle system and chum soft do the storyline since they have some amazing vn writers there.

Also new Dragon Quest to be announced today. More than likely it will be DQ11. The only question is will it be 3DS or PS3/PS4 (won't be PS4 only due to how bad it is doing in Japan).

The tori ace and chi soft collaboration has been announced and its a vita/PS4 game. Good to see their new owners are letting them still make console games. I hope it's a game where tori ace handle the battle system and chum soft do the storyline since they have some amazing vn writers there.

Also new Dragon Quest to be announced today. More than likely it will be DQ11. The only question is will it be 3DS or PS3/PS4 (won't be PS4 only due to how bad it is doing in Japan).

Already leaked that it is DQ XI which is subtitled In Search of Departed Time.
    1400.jpg

A second game called Dragon Quest: Monster Battle Scanner is also going to be announced.

I only realised yesterday that DQ Monsters Joker 3 came out in Japan with no chance of a release in the West :( The last 2 especially the second were amazing.

This is why japanese should be mandatory in schools :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dragon Quest XI screenshots. PS4 version looks gorgeous, 3ds looks old school:

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201507/28084473.html

• Advertisement

Dragon Quest XI screenshots. PS4 version looks gorgeous, 3ds looks old school:

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201507/28084473.html

Here you are.
    1360354400845653679.jpg

Seems DQ XI is coming out on 3DS, PS4 and NX. DQ X has also been confirmed for the NX.

The PS4 version is running off UE4 while the 3DS version will be using old school 2D sprites for the bottom screen, hence the top down view. The top screen will be using 3D graphics.

Advertisement