Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things That Trialvilly Annoy You.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Makeup or perfume?

My TA is my body clock immediately shifting back to night owl mode when I'm off work, the return to the daily grind will be tortuous.

Leg, thanks maybe perfume is a good idea, hasn't thought of it.
    Yes, my body clock is gone wild too. I'm not back to work for another few days and here I am at 4am awake pottering on what should be a school night.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

I'm not a grammar nazi at all but there is one thing that annoys me and I see it a lot, particularly on social media from bloggers etc, when people use an apostrophe for plurals!
    'The boy's are going out tonight'. Please, no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

It's not trivial by any means, but it certainly is an annoyance.

People who are rude to retail staff, wait staff, bar staff etc. There's absolutely no need for it. Some people just seem to look down their nose at people in the service industry and somehow think they're better than them.

When i worked in Tesco,it was usually retired men and middle aged women who where the worst.Little Hitlers.It was their only way to have a power trip.Feckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

Strumms wrote: »
    My father and his sister my Aunt are close, her being his little sibling he’s always looking out for her, she’s the apple of his eye... she works for a homeless charity in the city and as well as a financial donation every year he’s regularly giving donations of clothes and reminding all the rest of the family to put clothes ‘we don’t want’ and stuff in bags... except recently he’s constantly like every other week on the ask....I gave a shît load of stuff as in bagfuls this year, twice...

I lost the head with him the other evening when he visited again, looking for more stuff, he was after jackets in particular with it being winter and I had just bought a new jacket (a winter one) he’s trying to walk out the door with another one (Nudie), ironically a summer jacket I’d bought last year and the only raincoat I own (FCUK) having given him the other for the charity earlier this year... worth about €200 in total...

I took back my raincoat but gave the jacket out of *right just take it and leave my stuff alone pleaseeeeeeee sort of moment.... which I’m regretting, it was a really nice jacket, good quality which I spent maybe 120 squid on and I don’t really have another ‘light’ casual summer jacket.....

I’d like to continue to ‘give what I can’ but I’d rather take my money to primark and buy three good, functional jackets to donate rather then becoming harassed and hen pecked into giving away my own hand picked stuff every time he insists on trying to plunder my press, again... aghhhhhhh
    Would you not just have a word with your aunt and politely but firmly tell her to back the fook off? She's using your Dad to hit the family up for donations which sounds like she's under pressure to deliver a set amount of donations. That would seriously hack me off if I was constantly being asked to donate things. It's really out of order to keep asking her family to give and it's not fair to put your dad in that position, she sounds very selfish. Saying no, I've given enough doesn't make you a bad person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Therein lies the problem. Most dog owners are responsible and there aren't enough wardens to police those who are not.

Alsatians and bulldogs are on the dangerous breed list and should not be off leash. They are supposed to be muzzled. An alsatian running up to a kid (even if it's just a puppy and wanting to play) is like a lion running up to an adult - you're going to have a heart attack.

I think that all dogs are supposed to be under the control of their owner and that includes being on a leash in public/pedestrianised places. You seem to think that your dogs are an exception to this rule. Where would this end if every dog owner thought the way you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

I think that all dogs are supposed to be under the control of their owner and that includes being on a leash in public/pedestrianised places. You seem to think that your dogs are an exception to this rule. Where would this end if every dog owner thought the way you do.
    I live near a popular dog walking area and I hate seeing people let their dogs off leash for a run before they get to a secure area. As soon as they reach a certain spot the leash comes off and the dogs tear off. The owners don't care that there are lots of kids in the area or lots of other pets out and about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 GeetarPick

The Gardai have to be one off the most useless shower ever because I was driving to work this morning and they were standing at all of the traffic lights. One of them actually stopped a cyclist and gave out to him for wearing ear phones.

Seriously there is open drug dealing, assault and murders happening in the capital yet these eejits would rather stop somebody for wearing ****ing earphones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

When someone puts their little weekend case in the baggage area of the airport shuttle bus and I have to stand with my larger suitcase in case it rolls away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Was it St Anne's Park??.

The very one!!

Now st Anne's has a rule that dogs are allowed off their leash until 11am and then again in the final hour before closing.

If you want your fur babies running wild please use the park during those times otherwise keep them on a lead.

I really hate the attitude that rules don't apply to me, therefore I'll do what pleases me, feck everyone else.

It's not about me being a "precious " parent. It's about recognising that the park is an amenity to be shared by all. I don't let my children run up and back to other people as I know that's annoying especially if you are trying to have abit of peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Those fcuking lights on cars, down beside the front fogs that individually come on when the car is making even the slightest of turns, pointless and very irritating ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,587 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

GeetarPick wrote: »
    The Gardai have to be one off the most useless shower ever because I was driving to work this morning and they were standing at all of the traffic lights. One of them actually stopped a cyclist and gave out to him for wearing ear phones.

Seriously there is open drug dealing, assault and murders happening in the capital yet these eejits would rather stop somebody for wearing ****ing earphones.
    Then when the same cyclist is squashed by a car/truck the bicycle lobby are up in arms about drivers not having due consideration!
    The guard was doing the guy a favour!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

UPS openly admit they lost my package but don't give a **** and hung up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm not a grammar nazi at all but there is one thing that annoys me and I see it a lot, particularly on social media from bloggers etc, when people use an apostrophe for plurals!
    'The boy's are going out tonight'. Please, no more.

The irony of this one

TELEMMGLPICT000133767001-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqIJ2D0nLvzPc68e6khgbcwF6onXz1cVWdiT-jW04p3ao.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 GeetarPick

cjmc wrote: »
    Then when the same cyclist is squashed by a car/truck the bicycle lobby are up in arms about drivers not having due consideration!
    The guard was doing the guy a favour!

If the cyclist is squashed it's his or her own doing. What he/she were doing was not illegal. The guards are never around whenever something serious as an assault is reported.

But go ahead and keep up the bootlicking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭Bredabe

A phone call early this am from one of my sibs, asking me to txt our nephew who was at my cousins* funeral, to remind him to leave bro's mass card.
    A card he had forgotten to give when he was at the removal himself yesterday.

So many ta's, 1. Calls me when they would have already arrived at the church 2. Feck off and call him yourself, your phone is clearly working 3. If your that bothered, make sure(like the rest of us) to place the card yoself!

* cousin in name only, I've not seen him since his christening and he was in his 40's.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

It's not trivial by any means, but it certainly is an annoyance.

People who are rude to retail staff, wait staff, bar staff etc. There's absolutely no need for it. Some people just seem to look down their nose at people in the service industry and somehow think they're better than them.
    These same people who look down on minimum wage workers would be the first to b!tch and moan about dole scroungers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

You seem confused about the law. Dogs are allowed to be off leash in public/pedestrianised places if they are under the control of their owner. My dogs are not an exception to this rule. I've seen owners walk with their dogs off leash on the footpath. I've even seen people cycling and their dog follows. I wouldn't do this with mine because I wouldn't trust them not to run onto the road if they saw something that got their attention.

You seem hell bent on painting me as a bad owner because of one instance where someone else was the irresponsible one. Why can't you just accept the dogs were doing no harm and the person driving on a pedestrianised street was the one in the wrong?

This is like the stingy thread where someone posts a story and it leads to pages of debate on who was right or wrong :pac: I'm going to stop now because nothing I say will change your mind and it's getting boring.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I hate when I'm about to eat an apple and I twist the stalk off but it breaks midway instead of at the end and now it's too small to grip and it's all jagged and sticking into my thumb when I'm eating the apple.
    Very annoyancy causing so it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Lovely walk on the beach earlier. Quite a few dogs, most on leads, some walking free but all pretty well behaved.

Apart from.......of course "that guy" had to be there with his yappy little runt running totally out of control with the owner shouting ineffectually for it to behave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Last night I feel asleep with a strepsil in my mouth. I can’t breathe through my nose at the mo so I awoke a few hours later with the driest mouth ever and the strepsil completely stuck to the roof of my mouth. I literally had to peel it off and it wasn’t the most pleasant feeling. Still, better than choking to death on it, I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Fecking unexpected guests.

Gway I wanna watch the darts like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Looking at people on social media reflecting on the year gone by and posting about all their highs, the places they’ve visited and achievements accomplished. I know I’m a miserable Mary on here lately but seeing things like that is just so isolating. Apart from my baby niece being born, I can’t name one positive thing that has happened this year. Even that was a moment tinged with sadness because my mam never got to meet her.

It has been an awful year full of heartache, grief and struggle. Seeing people document their amazing moments just makes me depressed. And I know social media isn’t reflective of reality, and I’m far too old to be drawn into that guff and I know I’m not the only one; but it’s just depressing all the same tbh. The only highlights I have are the ones on my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

This virus that attacked our whole family is an absolute arsehole of an illness . Now the sneaky coward has attacked a tiny baby . Grrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Owners of pet dogs that are snapping at you in a public place saying 'He doesn't mean it'. (That's a reassuring thought? A dog not in control of when to be aggressive?)

There aren't many pets in my area (as opposed to farm dogs), and I don't know if the assertion is common over here, but it is in the UK, like one time when I was a new mother. On that occasion it came while I was mopping the blood from a graze on my elbow, from when instinct had jerked the arm between lunging dog and baby. Husband and I were simply enjoying a country stroll along a narrow, fenced-off public footpath on which the dog was coming the other way, clearly showing a strong objection to our presence, and obviously heavier than the owner it was dragging along by the lead. She didn't seem to see any of it as at all remarkable, though in fairness she did offer me a lift to the doc's for an anti-tetanus jab. (I declined, as we'd seen her driving. Dog as fellow passenger didn't appeal either).

Though that occasion was less trivial, it still qualifies as one of my top TAs on sheer illogicality and meaninglessness. (Especially when accompanied by a fond expression as if re a small child!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Fecking unexpected guests.

Gway I wanna watch the darts like

In this day and age, how does this still happen. A quick text is all that is needed.

• Advertisement

Looking at people on social media reflecting on the year gone by and posting about all their highs, the places they’ve visited and achievements accomplished. I know I’m a miserable Mary on here lately but seeing things like that is just so isolating. Apart from my baby niece being born, I can’t name one positive thing that has happened this year. Even that was a moment tinged with sadness because my mam never got to meet her.

It has been an awful year full of heartache, grief and struggle. Seeing people document their amazing moments just makes me depressed. And I know social media isn’t reflective of reality, and I’m far too old to be drawn into that guff and I know I’m not the only one; but it’s just depressing all the same tbh. The only highlights I have are the ones on my head.

Ah i really hope next year is much better for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Been a rough couple here too, thing is, you can’t judge your own happiness or wellbeing by constantly comparing yourself to everyone else, their success or happiness... if you have xxx number of friends on FB.... ‘somebody’ is going to be posting holiday snaps.... ‘somebody’ is going to be going on about starting a new job.... ‘somebody’ is going to be putting up pics of their new car or new house... that’s them... let them enjoy it.

2020 is the year of retro:electro.... don’t let your happiness or otherwise be influenced by shît you read about on social media, focus on yourself being happy... set your goals, tackle them with attitude, determination and patience also.... the year of retro:electro.... starts tomorrow.... believe !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Ghosteen

Strumms wrote:
    2020 is the year of retro:electro.... don’t let your happiness or otherwise be influenced by shît you read about on social media, focus on yourself being happy... set your goals, tackle them with attitude, determination and patience also.... the year of retro:electro.... starts tomorrow.... believe !

Are you Santa?... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

Bloody Pringles.....opened a tube last night and ate the whole lot....tossing and turning all night because tummy was full of pringles.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

gifted wrote: »
    Bloody Pringles.....opened a tube last night and ate the whole lot....tossing and turning all night because tummy was full of pringles.....

Did you know, that, Pringles, are actually biscuits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    You seem confused about the law. Dogs are allowed to be off leash in public/pedestrianised places if they are under the control of their owner. My dogs are not an exception to this rule. I've seen owners walk with their dogs off leash on the footpath. I've even seen people cycling and their dog follows. I wouldn't do this with mine because I wouldn't trust them not to run onto the road if they saw something that got their attention.

You seem hell bent on painting me as a bad owner because of one instance where someone else was the irresponsible one. Why can't you just accept the dogs were doing no harm and the person driving on a pedestrianised street was the one in the wrong?

This is like the stingy thread where someone posts a story and it leads to pages of debate on who was right or wrong :pac: I'm going to stop now because nothing I say will change your mind and it's getting boring.

So they are not under your control then?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've only left the house twice in the last 5 days, both of those were trips to the hospital. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

My anxiety...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Alecto

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I've only left the house twice in the last 5 days, both of those were trips to the hospital. :mad:

I hope you and the family are ok Boom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

What is it with people over a certain age and their refusal to wear headphones? The amount of them who watch stuff on their phones at top volume on public transport. It’s incredibly annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Chatting at work about availability of certain educational services, as the organisation is spread out in this country.
    One of my midland colleagues mentions a specialist I spent all last summer, trying to find, get appointments and liaise with and its not finished yet.
    She looks at me as if Im crazy and asks why I didnt just go to the one that is........30 minutes away from the office and is 100e cheaper!

TA, no one telling me this one existed and most ta'ing is that the expenses for the overnights,travel,rental x2, food and transport will not be paid until st patrick's day.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Ghosteen wrote: »
    Are you Santa?... :pac:

Nooooo hooooo hoooooo

I accidentally ordered red wine. Oh well, I guess I'll have to drink it anyway :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Strumms wrote: »
    Been a rough couple here too, thing is, you can’t judge your own happiness or wellbeing by constantly comparing yourself to everyone else, their success or happiness... if you have xxx number of friends on FB.... ‘somebody’ is going to be posting holiday snaps.... ‘somebody’ is going to be going on about starting a new job.... ‘somebody’ is going to be putting up pics of their new car or new house... that’s them... let them enjoy it.

Off topic for the thread but from seeing your posts over the years Strumms you seem like a real good guy. And what you just said reflects my own attitude too, I have had a rough year and will have some rough stuff happen too next year but I am absolutely determined to for it to be a good year for me. I have many plans and ideas I am excited about. Next year will be the year of Strumms, retro:electro, Guy Person and whoever else wants to have a good one too. Join us everybody!! Let's form a positivity cult!!

Anyway, that was a bit weird so back on topic.... TA that my left knee is twice the size now than it was when I woke up this morning. That's what I get for exercising.

Guy Person wrote: »
    Let's form a positivity cult!!

Anyway, that was a bit weird so back on topic.... TA that my left knee is twice the size now than it was when I woke up this morning. That's what I get for exercising.

We can get t-shirts printed... “I’m a positive cult”... you kneed one ! Sorry I’ll just stop :p

• Advertisement

Just want to wish all The Boardsies a Happy New Year and i hope you get what you wish for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Poochie05

It’s like Armageddon out there, you wouldn’t think people had been shopping just a week ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Poochie05 wrote: »
    It’s like Armageddon out there, you wouldn’t think people had been shopping just a week ago!

I work in a shopping centre, its fcuking mental today, totally TA'd with some of the imbeciles that are out n about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Yeah the supermarket was really busy and everyone was operating at a snails pace.

My TA is I just walked into a door, can feel a bump starting in the middle of my forehead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I was making a left turn on Main Street a while ago and some pedestrians walked right out in front of me. I indicated in plenty of time, and I saw them, but not one of the three of them looked up until they were in the middle of the road and I was five feet away. I suspect a granny, a granddad and a girl that was about 10. What a great example for the young girl - walk into traffic without looking. And the wave she gave me when I had stopped was less a 'thank you' and more of a dismissive 'ah **** off'.

We're too soft on pedestrians. We need to run a few over to make them all start paying attention again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

We're too soft on pedestrians. We need to run a few over to make them all start paying attention again....

D'you think that might work? :D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

My manager gets so upset and flustered. If the slightest thing goes astray he has his head in his hands in despair. Then his voice starts shaking with stress and it could be a tiny issue. I get that he cares and wants things perfect, so do we all

My TA anyway is when a manager does this then it affects the team and we all get nervous and stressed. :(

On some days I've worked with other managers who are quiet and cool and calm and no matter what happens they look decisively for the solution. Now these people I like to work with.

I'm not feeling well and I'm out of painkillers, body is aching and my chest is a nightmare today. Damn not getting any when I was out yesterday. Oh well, wine will numb the pain :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Most first world problem ever but we got a new cleaner and she's rubbish. I miss our old one :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I went to Tesco earlier with a bag of 1/2/5c coins to feed into the self-service till, bought stuff and went to the first normal till with a minimal queue. Dammit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement