Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

wrangler wrote: »
    Maggots are vicious this time of the year

Think this year has been particularly bad for them. Started mid May, which is earliest I’ve seen them and their still around. Was talking to a easycare man, who said it’s first time ever his seen his sheep struck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Had a lamb yesterday laying on its own caught it and it has a very bad crusted hard skin on its back no sign a maggoting or wool loss but if u look closely skin is crusted and breaking lambs were dipped twice and it's the only one with it.

Anyone know what the minimum stocking rate for sheep is ? Have a friend asked me, what’s the minimum amount per acre, without loosing the single farm payment, etc ? I don’t know the answer !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Anyone know what the minimum stocking rate for sheep is ? Have a friend asked me, what’s the minimum amount per acre, without loosing the single farm payment, etc ? I don’t know the answer !!!

No minimum for single farm payment just keep it in good agriculture condition,
    Minimum stocking rate for disadvantage payment is I ewe/ha or .15 LU ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyone any experience of using the Stanley engineering sheep races? Looking at buying one and I suppose the decision will be made at the ploughing when everything can be seen together

• Advertisement

Many of u guys change rams? Bought 2 more texel a lamb and hogget and a 4year old Lanark. Got rid off a crossing Leicester a charollais and a texel. Going till lamb main flock 2 weeks later and horned ewes a month later.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Lambman wrote: »
    Many of u guys change rams? Bought 2 more texel a lamb and hogget and a 4year old Lanark. Got rid off a crossing Leicester a charollais and a texel. Going till lamb main flock 2 weeks later and horned ewes a month later.
    Got rid of the Suffolk,the 2 lleyn,an old texal and old charollais bought another belclare and 4 blue texals from the north

See a lot of blue texel about this year... what's the craic with them aren't they just a a blue beltex? See a lot off black lambs making big money this year aswell whatever that's about.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Whats the 4yr old lanark like?

Any sheep related deals at the ploughing ? Are lister or George mudge there this year ? Wouldn’t mind putting a dagging machine on wish list

• Advertisement

Ard mc I'll send u a pic when I get a chanve... First year using one he and the strongest off the old horned ewes will be going back till the hill after tupping till scanning time. Going by this year is a been better off with one last year as wasn't happen at all with the way the mule ram lambs sold got a good few nice replacements but won't need any next year so Lanark and probably charollais going with the horned ewes this year.

My payments in the bank this morning coulda been in yesterday never checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

See a lot of blue texel about this year... what's the craic with them aren't they just a a blue beltex? See a lot off black lambs making big money this year aswell whatever that's about.

They started as texels

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

ganmo wrote: »
    They started as texels

more info that i didn't have time to put in earlier.

they started as a texel that had a mutation that caused them to get what I call badger colouring.
    The texel society wanted rid of the mutation so the lads with them set up their own society.

Same traits then as any texel?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Would there be any issue spreading 10-10-20 on field while lambs are grazing

RobinBanks wrote: »

Never had any problem here anyway with 18 6 12

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭orm0nd

spreading deadline has passed

orm0nd wrote: »

It never ceases to amaze me the number of guys that have no problem with that little fact

I wasn’t aware of deadline. Does it apply to all fertilizer? Say potash for example.

• Advertisement

I wasn’t aware of deadline. Does it apply to all fertilizer? Say potash for example.

No just nitrogen and phosphorous, sorry I thought you would have been aware

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Only if someone reports you or a dept inspector arrives

It never ceases to amaze me the number of guys that have no problem with that little fact

I was away for a few hours today quite a distance from home but through relatives I'd know a lot of farmers in the area. Contractor flat out with 2 large vacuum tanks spreading near a town. Nice smell off it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Only if someone reports you or a dept inspector arrives

Days shortening, weather changing next week to a cooler and wetter regime makes it a waste of money for most anyways

Just to put a bit of context to conversation. I reseeded a field just when weather broke. Contractor put seed in but didn’t spread fert. I still have the fert and the field is in good order to travel with tractor so I thought now would be a good time to spread it. I have lambs on this field grazing presently hence why I asked if ok to spread while they are on it. I went and bought potash after wranglers reply anyway. I will use 10-10-20 next summer

I was away for a few hours today quite a distance from home but through relatives I'd know a lot of farmers in the area. Contractor flat out with 2 large vacuum tanks spreading near a town. Nice smell off it as well.

slurry closing date is 15th october

slurry closing date is 15th october

my head is gone as well as most of the rest of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Free sheep wire in Longford, might suit somebody nearby.

https://www.donedeal.ie/fencingequipment-for-sale/free-sheep-wire/22980825

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭DJ98

When buying sheep (ewes) privately what kind of things should you ask and lookout for? I know age and lambing history are probaly the obvious ones along with checking mouths and underneath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭roosky

I have an uneven number of ewe lambs to vaccinate, would it be a waste giving them 1.7 ml each instead of the 2 ml each

Advertisement