Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 iwillarise

Hi guys,

Do you have to sit your leaving and take your HPAT in the same year?

Also, is there a limit on the amount of times one can sit it? Ive already taken it twice (With a deviation of two marks!)

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

iwillarise wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Do you have to sit your leaving and take your HPAT in the same year?

Also, is there a limit on the amount of times one can sit it? Ive already taken it twice (With a deviation of two marks!)

Thanks

Yes and no (respectively)!

"From 2013 HPAT – Ireland scores can be used for admission to an undergraduate medical course commencing in the same year ONLY. For example, results from HPAT – Ireland 2013 can be used for undergraduate medicine courses beginning in 2013 but NOT 2014.

Please note that the change does not affect candidates who sat HPAT – Ireland 2012 under the previous policy. HPAT – Ireland 2012 Scores will still be accepted for courses commencing in 2013.

There is no restriction on the number of times you may take HPAT-Ireland, provided you are a bona fide candidate each time."

Currency of Results | HPAT-Ireland

Anyone now if and where the results-data were published?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Slow Show wrote: »
    Congrats :D

188 was the 85th percentile last year so that's a huge difference, I would say scores would go down by ~10 if not more. I guess it was to be expected now that the results are valid for only one year. The big problem with previous years was that if the scores actually did drop and the pattern of inflation resisted, people simply reapplying to the CAO from the year before with the higher HPAT scores, though not necessarily higher percentiles, would get in easily, but now that's no longer a problem, and the scores are quite likely to vary significantly, either up or down, from year to year now. It's all the same really, you're still being judged in comparison to every other student based on the relative difficulty of the test, but it certainly seems a lot less intimidating to be aiming for a score in the 170's, even 160's would appear to give a decent shot, than 180's. :)

I agree with Slow Slow, i think points will go down around ten points. It was bound to happen with the change in the weighting of S3. Not sure it really changes anything tho as HPAT is scored tougher for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 iwillarise

Yes and no (respectively)!

"From 2013 HPAT – Ireland scores can be used for admission to an undergraduate medical course commencing in the same year ONLY. For example, results from HPAT – Ireland 2013 can be used for undergraduate medicine courses beginning in 2013 but NOT 2014.

Please note that the change does not affect candidates who sat HPAT – Ireland 2012 under the previous policy. HPAT – Ireland 2012 Scores will still be accepted for courses commencing in 2013.

There is no restriction on the number of times you may take HPAT-Ireland, provided you are a bona fide candidate each time."

Currency of Results | HPAT-Ireland

Anyone now if and where the results-data were published?

Thanks for your reply. Just to clarify.

I can sit the HPAT in 2015, but can I use my LC results from 2010 to reapply for a course starting in 2015?

iwillarise wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. Just to clarify.

I can sit the HPAT in 2015, but can I use my LC results from 2010 to reapply for a course starting in 2015.

For absolute clarification, you should contact one of the five medical schools. But, my understanding is that what you said is correct.

The quote in my previous post mentions a requirement that one be a "bona fide candidate". That is an ambiguous statement, but they mean a candidate for Medicine (as opposed to being a LC candidate).

Undergraduate Medicine Admissions Guide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Also maybe the results are down because the 10 or so meadentry/UMAT crossover questions were completely omitted? Stinger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Kirby2k07 wrote: »
    Also maybe the results are down because the 10 or so meadentry/UMAT crossover questions were completely omitted? Stinger

It could be but honestly I think it's because of the weighting .

What date can we expect our results back ?

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    It could be but honestly I think it's because of the weighting .

What date can we expect our results back ?

Mid-June. Apparently Mature Students get there's now, so I presume one of them posted the 85th-percentile score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Results come out pretty much after the last exam, can't remember if it's the following Monday or what but ai, before end of June.

Probably a mix of both really... 23rd or 24rth I think

• Advertisement

All nighter so I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

All nighter so I guess

Without a doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

All nighter so I guess

Sure, find other people who are waiting on the results, go on the tear, wait together till 4am then break down in tears ensemble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

All nighter so I guess

Tried that last year, lasted until 3am, fell asleep and didn't open my results until 10!:P:P

#hpat results sesh on 2k14

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Joey!!

Are you guessing that they've been omitted or has there been a statement about it?

Joey!! wrote: »
    Are you guessing that they've been omitted or has there been a statement about it?
    No statement that I'm aware of .

A guess at the moment, but they were discussing it in the dail a few weeks back and the consensus looked like an all or nothing approach, they either leave all the alleged questions in or omit them completely.
    The new weightings wouldn't really change the scores that much though really, they only reduce scores by 2 or 3 max, unless there's a big gap in s3 score compared to the other two, which doesn't occur generally.
    If the alleged questions were dropped and they stuck to the original scaling scheme for s1, a drop in around 8-10 points is definitely possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

Hi All,

Guys to clarify - HPAT results have been released ONLY to mature candidates. We only received our individual score and percentile, nothing with the entire population range etc. I've been asked a few times now for a link to hpat results, its simple, log in to acer and if your a mature your results are available, if your not they are not!

Hope that helps clarify

A guess at the moment, but they were discussing it in the dail a few weeks back and the consensus looked like an all or nothing approach, they either leave all the alleged questions in or omit them completely.
    The new weightings wouldn't really change the scores that much though really, they only reduce scores by 2 or 3 max, unless there's a big gap in s3 score compared to the other two, which doesn't occur generally.
    If the alleged questions were dropped and they stuck to the original scaling scheme for s1, a drop in around 8-10 points is definitely possible.

That's wrong in my opinion . People usually do ok in section 2 as it's the easiest . Lowest scores would be in section 1 .
    People could study for section 3.
    The drop in results in my opinion shows that people preform better in section 3 and If anything section 1 and 2 are poorer. The reason for changing the weighting was because of section 3.
    Acer more than likely anticipated this drop in points .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Caolan

If it helps at all (or gives a little insight) - based upon scores I have seen and other Matures I've spoken to, it looks like they ommitted the previously seen questions entirely. This would not affect the pure score so would NOT account for the lower scores this year (while very disappointing to some candidates- its probably the right call).

The obvious reasons for the lower scores/percentiles were

A) Section 2 was extremely vague with 2/3 logical answers to each q (way more so than any of the practice material I have seen

B) The weighting of Section 3 - those who prepare the best would expect a high score on section 3 as it is the only section that you can truly study for.

I have seen debate as to the effect of the revised scoring, obviously thie impact of this is individual to each person, but I have seen people lose an aggregate 18 points because of the scoring changes while others would have lost nothing.

Therefore the folks at ACER seem to have succeeded somewhat in levelling the playing field between those who prepare/study/do courses and those who believe the test should be purely based upon aptitude and the content should not be studied (other than the test format)

Caolan wrote: »
    If it helps at all (or gives a little insight) - based upon scores I have seen and other Matures I've spoken to, it looks like they ommitted the previously seen questions entirely. This would not affect the pure score so would NOT account for the lower scores this year (while very disappointing to some candidates- its probably the right call).

The obvious reasons for the lower scores/percentiles were

A) Section 2 was extremely vague with 2/3 logical answers to each q (way more so than any of the practice material I have seen

B) The weighting of Section 3 - those who prepare the best would expect a high score on section 3 as it is the only section that you can truly study for.

I have seen debate as to the effect of the revised scoring, obviously thie impact of this is individual to each person, but I have seen people lose an aggregate 18 points because of the scoring changes while others would have lost nothing.

Therefore the folks at ACER seem to have succeeded somewhat in levelling the playing field between those who prepare/study/do courses and those who believe the test should be purely based upon aptitude and the content should not be studied (other than the test format)

Section 2 is always that vague and airy-fairy every year, so that wouldn't lower overall score... Also maybe I'm not thinking right but if you plug in a variety of scores with old weighting then new weighting (Overall Score = [(2 x Section 1 + 2 x Section 2 + 1 x Section 3) ÷ 5] x 3) the differences are only really slight.
    How can you tell based off the matures that they ommited them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Conly95

Do you think if they omitted 10 questions that the potential points obtained from those questions would be given elsewhere so as to have the first section still scored out of 100?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Caolan

I have spoken to a couple of matures, some did Med-entry course, some didnt, and indications are that the Med-entry questions were excluded (based upon scores achieved). Not exactly scientific- but thats the way it looks.

If they ommitted the 10 q's (i dont think there was that much, if I recall I think it was 6/7) - then you would expect they simply mark the exam out of 34 instead of 44 and apply this to the total score out of 120.

All of this however is hearsay- Acer dont tell you correct answers, nor give marking scheme, nor tell you the wightings of questions (different q's are definitly worth different scores), but from a small group of people who have been very open about their scores and their suspicions, this is what it appears.

Hope you all did really well!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 a1995

Results are out to on Monday the 23rd of June, does anyone know what time we can access them? so nervous...

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

a1995 wrote: »
    Results are out to on Monday the 23rd of June, does anyone know what time we can access them? so nervous...

We got ours at roughly 5-6 am last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CGMed

Anyone know if there is any profile/summary of graduate entry hpat scores floating around???

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

So can you sit the HPAT next year if you did the LC in 2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 epen2k9

So can you sit the HPAT next year if you did the LC in 2012?

No you can't.. The hpat and LC has to be taken in thesame year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 SoundInfluence

epen2k9 wrote: »
    No you can't.. The hpat and LC has to be taken in thesame year

No that's incorrect. You can hold your leaving certificate points from previous years. Only the hpat has to be sat in the same year of application.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement