Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 charlie165

Best of luck to everyone! This maelstrom of information about the HPAT is too much. I literally don't know what a good score is Monday! To all of you, don't freak out if you're worried about your result, and I will try too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Since I'm going on holidays Monday I am going out celebrating tonight instead :P
    Well what's really happening is I'm going to a leaving cert party but precelebrating hpat results aswell :L I only know one other person in real life who's doing hpat.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Since I'm going on holidays Monday I am going out celebrating tonight instead :P
    Well what's really happening is I'm going to a leaving cert party but precelebrating hpat results aswell :L I only know one other person in real life who's doing hpat.

I'm from Cork too and I think know about 12 people doing it :pac:

I'm from Cork too and I think know about 12 people doing it :pac:

You have an advantage straight away .
    Us cork men are far superior to Dubliners and the other counties .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Well you don't know that you'd be happy as a doctor. Nobody knows.
    What we want may not always be what's best for us :)

Best post in the thread! :pac:

• Advertisement

Finished with pre hpat celebrations . I really don't want to drunk post so Im just going to leave it at that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

Lads best of luck tomorrow, i really hope all of you do well :)

Good luck tomorrow everyone . All nighter I guess.

Something a teacher told me . Never settle for second best . Only a few of us will get the points we need . Don't give up if you don't get it . If it's what you want to do in life then try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Had a dream I got my hpat result in the post. But it was one of those really annoying dreams where you can't make anything out because it's so blurry....
    Anywhoo I don't think I'll be doing an all-nighter :cool:

Had a dream I got my hpat result in the post. But it was one of those really annoying dreams where you can't make anything out because it's so blurry....
    Anywhoo I don't think I'll be doing an all-nighter :cool:

I think I'll set my alarm for 5 . After yesterday i don't think I can manage an all nighter unfortunately . I still feel destroyed.

I had a dream that I pressed delete on the email instead of open :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Literally petrified for these results tomorrow, no way will I open them before going to work cause I know I'd be a mess if I don't get it. The fact that this is my second time doing the hpat and I was so close last year, makes me more nervous. I have a really bad feeling I'm after doing worse. Good luck to everyone else here though!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SoundInfluence

It's so close!! Ahhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

How is this thread so quiet? :pac:
    Good luck everyone! Even if the result you get tomorrow isn't what you'd hope for, there are so many stories out there about people who weren't successful the first time (the median age of my class this year is evidence of that!) but got in in subsequent years, or others who didn't get it and pursued something else and found themselves very happy in that. Life is a mixed bag and you never know what to expect or where you'll end up, but a positive attitude makes all the difference. :)

tl;dr - good luck, don't get discouraged if you're disappointed, everything will work out in the end. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FunTimess

anyone doing an all- nighter? wish we knew what time they come out

• Registered Users Posts: 20 h157

It's looking like an unintentional all nighter ... I doubt I'll be able to sleep now! :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

Hey guys, can't believe it's that time again!

(Basic Info: HPAt 2012 - didn't get enough; 2013 HPAT - Got first choice)

Basically, Last year at this time I was bricking it. It was my second time sitting the HPAT and I had just spent the year repeating. I was completely one of those guys on boards refreshing and refreshing right up until 6 in the morning.

When I was waiting to get my results there was such a swell of emotion. I had turned to nearly hating all those who had gotten a place the previous year - ( just as a point of information, it only makes it worse when you see people on the course who don't show up to lectures. Or in some way think that there is a negative relationship between lectures attended and "coolness". But anyway that's just my own pet hate). I remember when the email finally came and I literally sank. It was by far the most intense experience of my life and I am in no way exaggerating.

Of course, this can go one of two ways - failure or success.

Fortunately for me on the second attempt things went a lot better, but it so easily could have gone the other way. Honestly, I wasn't sure what I would have done if I hadn't been accepted, looking back at what I had down as my second choice was just incredible. And thats what is so hard to come to terms with. After repeating the HPAT in 2013 I was in no way more ready for the course. Not one person that wants to do medicine can't! It really is that simple. There is nothing we learned all year that was incredibly difficult, nothing was particularly challenging. There is a lot of material, but if you are interested its no problem. Honestly, I think the kind of questioning that is typical of medical hopefuls is completely unfair. No one has ever asked a person why they wanted to become an engineer or a mathematician! Its simple, one was interested in maths and the other in engineering!

Its really important that if things don't go your way, don't be disheartened - ( thats almost impossible to do, in 2012 we got our results before the LC and I almost completely gave up on studying that day!) You will be extremely upset. It's the first time in your life when you haven't been able to do something you wanted. But don't give in and settle, honestly, Waiting the extra year is certainly worth it. I couldn't imagine if I had to take my second choice, I would have absolutely hated it.

It is the people who are so nervous that they are waiting all night for these results that truly deserve the places. I hope all you who really want it get a place - whether it be your first or your fifth honestly they are all the same. It's a real nerve wreaking night, but if you get it it's such an amazing feeling, sitting awake at 6 in the morning, wondering when is it an appropriate time to scream the house down!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy3

This is my first post on boards - just signed up, but I have been following this thread all year :) Felt like it was an appropriate time to make a contribution! Definitely an all nighter for me, kindle and netflix at the ready! I am dying to just know at this stage- section 1 was particularly tough for me but the other two were pretty good...I think? Without a doubt it is a big night for all of us tonight but as many have already said, its not the end of the world either way! These results could potentially take a lot of pressure off the Leaving Cert results so fingers crossed guys!

I'm nearly tempted to wait until August and just check the CAO offers when they come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 micoshea

Do we get emails, or do we just have to keep refreshing our HPAT accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 imsocool chillininda pool

both is prob best, we do get emails put i think they post them on the website first :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

micoshea wrote: »
    Do we get emails, or do we just have to keep refreshing our HPAT accounts?

you'll get an email first!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 edivlas

Doubt I'll sleep tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 imsocool chillininda pool

it's bizarre to think that it will be over so soon... so many of us have put so much effort into it :D the emotions are strange, of course i'm dying to know how i got on, but on the other hand the ambiguity protects us from what may be a sad reality :(

i told all my family i'm gonna try to sleep but i don't think that that is even possible! they are all so involved with the process with me, i know they will not sleep either. when i say involved don't get me wrong they have no desire for me to be a doctor, all it represents for them are the long hours and restricted family life. and sometimes its hard to disagree - they are so many almost overwhelmingly negative aspect to the profession and training. but at the end of it all we all want to save lives and change the world ( even the smallest iota!)

i know i don't have it too bad - its my first time and if it all goes t*ts up it's no biggie . . . but still. i'm just trying to ramble on to distract myself ( and you too!)
    this is actually so bad could acer not get their things together and give us an actual time? i mean we are all waiting for some Australian to press a button! would they not have the decency to at least press it the same time every year?

2013 - 5:30
    2012 - 12:50
    2011 - 3 ish i think!
    i mean a wee bit of continuity would not go astray :) yeah i better not turn this into a rant about acer ill just give myself and aneurysm!
    anyway best of luck to ye all . . . we will be okay :)

i think i'll eat some nutella now....

Back from a party about an hour. I couldn't even drink, got some blonderbrau beer, yok. I don't know about staying up incase they don't put the results up early :/ anyone up?

I'm up reading a physics book as I hear there's a little bit in the first year of medicine and I didn't do it for the LC.

Optimism!

edivlas wrote: »
    I'm up reading a physics book as I hear there's a little bit in the first year of medicine and I didn't do it for the LC.

Optimism!

haha that's cool! what in the physics course could be in medicine? maybe light and stuff to do with the eye? The Doppler effect is used in echocardiograms... ermm sound? :L

you staying up so? :)

edivlas wrote: »

Optimism!

There is. I had to do them this year as part of my course (along with the meds). I hadn't done any physics before and they were grand. Not hard at all, which is saying something coming from me 'cause I'm so awful when it comes to physics and maths. :p This is for UCD btw, not sure of the other colleges.

woopah92 wrote: »
    There is. I had to do them this year as part of my course (along with the meds). I hadn't done any physics before and they were grand. Not hard at all, which is saying something coming from me 'cause I'm so awful when it comes to physics and maths. :p This is for UCD btw, not sure of the other colleges.

What physics stuff though? :) Woopah are you nervous for us because you're still traumatized by the tension you experienced last year? :P

charlie165 wrote: »
    haha that's cool! what in the physics course could be in medicine? maybe light and stuff to do with the eye? The Doppler effect is used in echocardiograms... ermm sound? :L

you staying up so? :)

I hear that it's biophysics? I think I have that right anyway although I'm not too sure what it involves. I've never done it before but I always thought physics to be interesting so might as well when I've nothing else to do. And yep, it looks like it! Doubt I'll fall asleep although I would like to. :/
    woopah92 wrote: »

That's encouraging! I hate maths, too, although physics isn't bad so far...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

3.10 am can't sleep :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement