Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I really do doubt they'll zero your score, sure how could they possibly connect EoghanIRL to your real name, like there'd be a lot of Eoghans, and maybe that isn't even your real first name, ridiculous not to discuss it, I did it plenty of times last year on here and got my result quite happily.

They could ask boards for the IP.
    Anyway, there's no need to run the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 uzzy_94

I really do doubt they'll zero your score, sure how could they possibly connect EoghanIRL to your real name, like there'd be a lot of Eoghans, and maybe that isn't even your real first name, ridiculous not to discuss it, I did it plenty of times last year on here and got my result quite happily.

If you don't mind me asking did you think you did well after the exam, and did your result reflect your expectations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

uzzy_94 wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking did you think you did well after the exam, and did your result reflect your expectations?

No not at all! I felt I hadn't done enough on the day to get it, I didn't really let it upset me, as I'm young and could've still repeated and been young for the year!

In fact on the day of the results I was so disinterested and convinced I hadn't got it I didn't open my results until 10! So don't be disheartened if you don't feel great about how you did, one never knows!
    FYI I got 83rd percentile and 186 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I used the same email to register to boards and acer .
    I guess others did too. Did you over look that ? Not ridiculous .

Imagine if it did happen . It was only a thought anyways , you could be right probably nothing will happen. I just thought they made it clear .

No not at all! I felt I hadn't done enough on the day to get it, I didn't really let it upset me, as I'm young and could've still repeated and been young for the year!

In fact on the day of the results I was so disinterested and convinced I hadn't got it I didn't open my results until 10! So don't be disheartened if you don't feel great about how you did, one never knows!

Did you get the lc points you needed ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

Exactly what I was thinking how could they zero your score if you just said what section you found challenging it's not like you're discussing the questions. I deleted my post for nothing ._.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Did you get the lc points you needed ?

Yeah I got 605, so altogether was 747, so I got UCC :)

miissjuly wrote: »
    Exactly what I was thinking how could they zero your score if you just said what section you found challenging it's not like you're discussing the questions. I deleted my post for nothing ._.

You missed the point completely !
    I said specific questions . There is nothing wrong with discussing it , just with saying things about and giving details of specific questions .
    It's not difficult .

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BBHenry

Yeah I got 605, so altogether was 747, so I got UCC :)

Did you do a prep course to do that well in the hpat? Really don't know what to expect after Saturday!

BBHenry wrote: »
    Did you do a prep course to do that well in the hpat? Really don't know what to expect after Saturday!

I only decided to give the HPAT a try just before Christmas and did the weekend HE course during the Christmas holidays, originally I had planned to do another course while doing the HPAT cause I had 8 H/L subjects going on and really not too much extra time (and was young enough to waste a year), so I didn't really get much done before March 1st,I got 50-55th percentile in the practice exam on the weekend course so the indications weren't great, but in the online practice exams it used jump between quite good scores and and very poor! But really you can never know!

• Advertisement

I only decided to give the HPAT a try just before Christmas and did the weekend HE course during the Christmas holidays, originally I had planned to do another course while doing the HPAT cause I had 8 H/L subjects going on and really not too much extra time (and was young enough to waste a year), so I didn't really get much done before March 1st,I got 50-55th percentile in the practice exam on the weekend course so the indications weren't great, but in the online practice exams it used jump between quite good scores and and very poor! But really you can never know!

Did you feel confident that you got a lot right ? Did you guess many . Just curious thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ericaosull

Wow thats a brilliant result! How exactly did you feel you hadnt done enough? Did you feel like you rushed some of the questions or that You could've done more practice questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ericaosull

sunnydee wrote: »
    I personally thought section one was awful, not going to lie. The passages in section 2 were all long, and usually when I was doing practice exams, there was always a few short ones. Then I actually thought section 3 was grand. Like, I managed to get a decent answer for every question bar one. That's not going to help though, seeing as the weightings for the sections were changed *sigh

Yeah i know, when i tried the practice tests I was actually best at section one because of the nice short graph questions but wow there were some long questions in sec1&2.. And of all years, this year they lower the score for sec3 :( just when i actually made a good attempt at it :'(.

But I actually feel fine after doing the test, it was tough no doubt and I wouldt say I did my best, but given its a low scoring exam I doubt anyone will feel 100% confident... And hey theres always next year :p

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭proudi

Was there anybody else who was confused about whether or not we were permitted to carry out rough work in the answer books? In my exam centre the information we were given was contradictory and I wasn't sure at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 karlllllll

I thought section one was horrible so many problem solving questions which are by far my weakest but section 2 and 3 were fairy manageable so god knows how I got on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jjC123

For anyone who is worrying or feeling disappointed about how they did in their HPAT - stop. No matter how awfully you think you did, you really don't have any idea until the results are out. Its just so impossible to judge so don't freak out :) Last year when I did it, I was 100% convinced that it had gone horribly horribly wrong. Like, ran-out-of-time-halfway-through-section-3-and-had-to-guess-half-of- them wrong. Thought section 1 was wordy, section 2 ambiguous and section 3 was a nightmare and didn't do enough prep. And it turned out that I actually did really well.

My point isn't to brag or anything, I'm just saying that, genuinely, you can't know how it went yet so don't work yourselves up with post mortems. HPAT's over, no stress :)

Ericaosull wrote: »
    Wow thats a brilliant result! How exactly did you feel you hadnt done enough? Did you feel like you rushed some of the questions or that You could've done more practice questions?

I felt that the questions were definitely a bit too ambiguous to be any way confident especially as always S2. I sort of ran out of time for S1, and felt the sort of general theme of it (lots of words last year in S1 and not one calculation) was not for me. For S3, which I normally wasn't the best with anyway I did a lot of them by a process of eeny-meeny-miny-mo, and finished with a 15mins to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SuperSayian

You can discuss the exam, they specified it is only prohibited to pass on the info. for commercial gain! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mhf55

Hey does anyone know if i were to repeat the hpat next year would i have to repeat the leaving cert too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Flickka

mhf55 wrote: »
    Hey does anyone know if i were to repeat the hpat next year would i have to repeat the leaving cert too?

No, definitely not. It's the other way around. If you were to repeat the leaving cert next year, you would have to repeat the hpat. Hpat results are only valid for one year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mhf55

Flickka wrote: »
    No, definitely not. It's the other way around. If you were to repeat the leaving cert next year, you would have to repeat the hpat. Hpat results are only valid for one year.

Thanks a million! I knew that was the case but I had 3 people trying to convince me today that you had to repeat the leaving as well, aw god so stressful!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LeapOfFaith

Hi everybody,

Hope you have all recovered from the HPAT shenanigans!

Anyway I have a question that I'd like some advice on.
    With regards to second options after medicine, what are your thoughts on Pharmacy and dentistry?
    What are the differences between the courses, in terms of content, study materials, college life and career prospects?

Would appreciate any advice you have :)

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

S1 was totally a time problem on my part and hence worse than last year(in my opinion). I always feel that S2 and S3 are fine though I don't score too well on those either when practicing. Hoping I didn't do too terrible in S2. Too bad S3 only counts for 20% this year as it was by far my best section. Oh well, grand it's over I suppose. At this point I just hope I didn't do worse than last year cause that's a real bummer. Glad I'm not the only one thinking S1 was awful :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Interesting article.
    Some 'educational' businesses really have a very dodgy idea of ethics.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/medical-entry-test-under-investigation-1.1718452

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Caolan

Quick Question,

Has anyone looked into studying Medicine abroad (Italy or Prague)

Seems decent options, but other than the obvious financials/cost of living abroad - has anyone looked into this option or anyone currently studing abroad?

the main ones interesting me are in Italy - I have checked the Courses and they are recognised by the British Medical Board GMC (so I presume they are recognised here) - they have 2/3 clinical years working bedside - so really my questions is has anyone heard anything else good bad? if you got your degree there I presume you could come back and go straight to work in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

spurious wrote: »
    Interesting article.
    Some 'educational' businesses really have a very dodgy idea of ethics.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/medical-entry-test-under-investigation-1.1718452

Wtf? That seems very fair! Would they not have to make a new test to ensure no one has an advantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    Wtf? That seems very fair! Would they not have to make a new test to ensure no one has an advantage?

I don't think a new test which will attract more people to set up more courses as prep for the new test is the solution. The same thing will probably happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

What were the questions? I didn't do a prep course, just came upon material friends had given me. If this really has happened it's absolutely outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Caolan

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    What were the questions? I didn't do a prep course, just came upon material friends had given me. If this really has happened it's absolutely outrageous.

The questions they are talking about were used in the UMAT last September- my understanding is that they were not exactly the same, but had slight differences.

Quite unbelievable that HPAT used the same questions twice, in different exams in the same academic year, regardless of whether that let students remove exam questions from the hall. They are either naive or stupid to think questions wont be leaked.

I presume HPAT will remove these questions from their scoring for all candidates and simply mark the exam out of the other questions (though we will probably never be told).

On the other hand (playing devils advocate), why should some students be disadvantaged for preparing shrewdly (getting lucky)?

If I went to grinds and my grind teacher made an educated guess at topics likely to be covered in the exam (and was lucky/correct) is that any different to what has happened here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 h157

The whole point of the exam is you can't prepare for it, it's what the idea of the test is based on - simply aptitude. Now I'm guessing most people here know that you can prepare for it to some extent, but if the claims are true then the whole point of the exam is mute. Who are acer to turn around and say the test is fair because you can't prepare for it, when this shows more than anything, even more than repeater statistics, that you very clearly can?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement