Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

bcklschaps wrote: »
    It's tough on the Dubs, but if they can't behave themselves then this is the price to pay. Maybe moral outtrage/peer pressure will curb the more recalcitrant element that ruined it for everybody else...

**Perhaps some of the recent posters on this thread could drop into their local hostelry and cool the heads a bit?

Nice try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭Augme

Morning Ireland doing a piece from the castle inn in cork. Talking to all the lads in the bar at 1030am for their feed of pints on a Monday. I do wonder about a culture that sees this as a positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Augme wrote: »
    Morning Ireland doing a piece from the castle inn in cork. Talking to all the lads in the bar at 1030am for their feed of pints on a Monday. I do wonder about a culture that sees this as a positive.

Very positive to see a business reopening after surviving being needlessly shuttered for 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Is that all you can complain about? Why a media outlet wants to exploit the timing of opening of pubs...
    Nothing positive to say eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,494 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Ah here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

There have been 5 outbreaks attributed to Pub-Restaurants. Five. Don't tell me this isn't an anti-alcohol thing.

Ultimately they want less people to be meeting, and less often. It doesnt really matter where they do meet etc, the point is that most people go from meeting say 100 people in a week to meeting 20.

Pubs are easy targets in a sense. They arent seen as essential in the way that say food, education etc are seen as essential. So while they do want to open them up if possible, for economic reasons if nothing else, when they have to reduce social interaction, its by far the easiest way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Maybe they are simply lovers of liberty? :D

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,889 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Enjoy your pints lads

The day has come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

To all those who have a fetish for subservience under daddy government, enjoy the whip. Meanwhile I'll be enjoying a traditional Guinness down at the local later, football streamed (f*ck Sky and their steep charges) on a large screen. Pour us another one there, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

There's no actual law though for the garda to actually stop you from going into another county to go to the pub if you so wish, they know this too, they can only try and bully you into not going but they cant actually legally stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

I am enjoying a restriction free pint as we speak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

Finishing work soon, off to local for the first time in 6 months, hope the Guinness taps are okay :D

Good few others going to reopened pubs in nearest town, annual piss ups after being knocked out of GAA championship and others making it back to their locals!

I am enjoying a restriction free pint as we speak.

enjoy, i will be come the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

SB71 wrote: »
    enjoy, i will be come the weekend :)

A thing of beauty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

Hopefully no "viral videos" for the outrage merchants on twitter and media to feed off! Muppets with phones recording should be barred on sight! Stay alert folks :D

The pub is a huge part of society in this country and always has been, NPHET for some unknown reason appear to have it in for the pubs, when asked to produce evidence of spike in cases attributed to pubs they couldn't,and came out with some nonsense about a pub in Scotland where there had been a cluster.

i dont think anyone would be complaining if there was a huge spike in cases related to pubs but there hasnt been, they dont want to admit it but the opening of schools has contributed to the spike in cases, and of course house parties and meat factories, but blaming the pubs seems to be a thing for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Hopefully no "viral videos" for the outrage merchants on twitter and media to feed off! Muppets with phones recording should be barred on sight! Stay alert folks :D

So not a message to encourage people to adhere to social distance guidelines, just a message to discourage anyone recording anything that would reflect badly on pubs.

Pity that people would hold this attitude.

A thing of beauty.

ah yes deadly cant beat a pint :)
    enjoy my friend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Had a teeth cleaning in the dentist this morning and to distract myself from my discomfort I closed my eyes and visualised an ice cold pint in one of my regular spots re-opening today, and encountering the same lads I haven't really seen since March.

Four hours later and now I am enjoying a nice pint in said pub, with no obligation to leave after a certain time.

It's actually quite emotional (although it may be the local anaesthetic speaking)

Morning Ireland doing a piece from the castle inn in cork.

A fine establishment, they only serve Murphy's, Beamish and Carlsberg I believe. The "lounge" consists of a table with 4 dayglo orange plastic chairs from the 1970s and the male toilet consists of a metal plate riveted to the wall and a drain underneath. Pure bliss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Lisdoonvarna was hopping last night, no dancing but it's good to see people out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

A fine establishment, they only serve Murphy's, Beamish and Carlsberg I believe. The "lounge" consists of a table with 4 dayglo orange plastic chairs from the 1970s and the male toilet consists of a metal plate riveted to the wall and a drain underneath. Pure bliss.

All the pubs crying to support local should throw on some local beers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,494 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I’m after doing 6x12 hour shifts in a row and I’ll go to my local pub that’s open for the first time in about 6 months tonight when I finish. I cannot wait tbh.

Hoping to ride out the storm and go for a pint Wednesday

Rumours of a Waterford lockdown coming by the end of the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Sorry if this has been asked or answered before.

Has the €9 meal requirement been scrapped as across the board now? Can I go into a pub that serves food and just order a pint now or is that pleasure limited to wet pubs?

Edit: I believe this answers it; "From the 21st of September 2020, the requirement to serve a substantial meal remains for businesses that are serving alcohol and operating in geographical areas at levels 3 or 4" - https://failtecdn.azureedge.net/failteireland/Guidelines-for-Re-opening-Pubs-Effective-21-September-2020.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Delicious creamy pints of Guinness.

Open yer yaps boyos!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just out on a smoke break, great to see one of 84yr olds down for a pint his first in 6mts. Great to be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Had a teeth cleaning in the dentist this morning and to distract myself from my discomfort I closed my eyes and visualised an ice cold pint in one of my regular spots re-opening today, and encountering the same lads I haven't really seen since March.

Four hours later and now I am enjoying a nice pint in said pub, with no obligation to leave after a certain time.

It's actually quite emotional (although it may be the local anaesthetic speaking)

Hope you are enjoying them,sounds lovely,hope do be doing the same myself tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked or answered before.

Has the €9 meal requirement been scrapped as across the board now? Can I go into a pub that serves food and just order a pint now or is that pleasure limited to wet pubs?

Edit: I believe this answers it; "From the 21st of September 2020, the requirement to serve a substantial meal remains for businesses that are serving alcohol and operating in geographical areas at levels 3 or 4" - https://failtecdn.azureedge.net/failteireland/Guidelines-for-Re-opening-Pubs-Effective-21-September-2020.pdf

Relying on that would be misleading I would say. Basically it's scrapped for all pubs in level 2, at level 3 it looks like they'll be told to close if they've no outdoor areas and indoor dining will also be prohibited.

Whether they row back on that I don't know but I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Finishing work soon, off to local for the first time in 6 months, hope the Guinness taps are okay

"Have you ever been to San Jose?"

Had a pint at my local earlier, just for the day that was in it. The usual heads seemed happy enough being relegated to the lounge tables, and table service seemed to work fine. There was something very cathartic and comforting about it (and I don't mean the alcohol). Here's to getting back to normal, where we can do so safely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Hope you are enjoying them,sounds lovely,hope do be doing the same myself tomorrow

It is unreal :D

What a beautiful thing

Pub layed out well, none of this food crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What a beautiful thing

Line around my parts you often hear is talking about someone "was sideways with drink" but ive never actually seen photographic evidence before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭celt262

What a beautiful thing

Nice bit of social distancing going on between youself and the pint.

Better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭hynesie08

What a beautiful thing

I'm impressed you could piss into a glass from that distance

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I'm impressed you could piss into a glass from that distance

I had the wide angle camera setting on

Great to be back in a real pub

I come from Dublin shuffling on my knees with palms outstretched :p

What's it like? Does it feel normal or is it a bit stilted?

• Advertisement

I come from Dublin shuffling on my knees with palms outstretched :p

What's it like? Does it feel normal or is it a bit stilted?

I'll be walking on stilts at current rate of consumption, the hell with the knockers. Couldn't recommend it highly enough, hopefully the Dubs are liberated in short order. We're human beings after all, and should be treated accordingly. NPHET, Leo and company are long overdue for a personality transplant.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

three lovely pints with a friend after work this evening.

Felt good to support a local business that has been shut for over 6 months

Normal as in back to normal, no perspex, no bull****e signs, bartender was in a muzzle which he was reminded of frequently, we had a dedicated door man that shook everyone's hand and told them take off the face nappy before going any further, any out of towner's were sent to the back bar as not to infect the locals. Good few sing songs, not as good as the usual Friday but not to shabby for a Monday, anyway i'm home now and still alive the late shift have taken over.
    First night back ratings, 9/10 just as I left it except for not being allowed sit at the bar.

I'll be walking on stilts at current rate of consumption, the hell with the knockers. Couldn't recommend it highly enough, hopefully the Dubs are liberated in short order. We're human beings after all, and should be treated accordingly. NPHET, Leo and company are long overdue for a personality transplant.

The talk going around is other counties will be joining ye in the lockdown

Waterford was doing so well and now we're in danger of getting another lockdown

Normal as in back to normal, no perspex, no bull****e signs, bartender was in a muzzle which he was reminded of frequently, we had a dedicated door man that shook everyone's hand and told them take off the face nappy before going any further, any out of towner's were sent to the back bar as not to infect the locals. Good few sing songs, not as good as the usual Friday but not to shabby for a Monday, anyway i'm home now and still alive the late shift have taken over.
    First night back ratings, 9/10 just as I left it except for not being allowed sit at the bar.

Most of that has to be made up because, as thick as people have been for a long time with this, they couldn’t be that thick.

Being told to take masks off :D yeah

Don't tell anyone but we are planning on sneaking in to Kildare next weekend for some pints. If I never see another "I'll have the caesar salad as a main please" I'll be thrilled :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Just out on a smoke break, great to see one of 84yr olds down for a pint his first in 6mts. Great to be back.

Enjoy it. Brilliant to see people out enjoying themselves. Took a drive down through my town and it’s quite busy- noticeable younger ones in their 20s out- probably making a night of it and taking tmoro off.
    I’m not a big drinker but fantastic to see people out and about like this- felt a tinge of emotion tbh seeing people do what they should be doing

Most of that has to be made up because, as thick as people have been for a long time with this, they couldn’t be that thick.

Being told to take masks off :D yeah

You were hoofed out of it if you were wearing a mask walking in, very funny, everyone knows each other, it just added to the comedy.
    Rules were discussed a few times general consensus is there a piss take and it's impossible to follow them to the letter of the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭road_high

You were hoofed out of it if you were wearing a mask walking in, very funny, everyone knows each other, it just added to the comedy.
    Rules were discussed a few times general consensus is there a piss take and it's impossible to follow them to the letter of the law.

Masks are about as useful as tinfoil hats really so I defo see the humour. Doubly funny watching the perma outraged get all het up about a pointless piece of cotton and how so many really view them ie worse than useless

• Advertisement

Maybe they are that thick a shower but I’d still reckon you’re making it up to act the hard lad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement