Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Significant Snow Risk Friday 7th/Saturday 8th January discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Vudgie wrote: »
    I have seen people ask before and apologies for asking again but can someone give me an idiot proof way of confirming ASL height.

Just want to see if I am going to be eating canned food this weekend!!:D

Is OSI the best place to try?
    Not the most accurate for height really, there are some sites for it cant remember which ones though!

iso=euro&data=0&type=0&rnd=1294324414[/IMG]

I think this fella was linked here before...
    http://www.earthtools.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Isn't meteoalram updated by each country's own weather service.
    So it just mirrors what Met Eireann are saying (I Think).

Yes thats true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Does not look to me like the precipitation will get any further North then North Leinster. I think I should briefly go through counties expected to be effected on the latest high resolution runs.

Let's start with the South of the country

Co's Kerry, Cork and Waterford

An area of rain and sleet will get into these counties as dawn appraoches. Sleet on coasts but as the band of precipitation makes it's way inland it will turn immediately to snow to low levels but only for a short time. By mid morning after some early accumulations these counties should have mostly rain and a thaw of lying snow (this may freeze tomorrow night bringing tricky driving conditions for Saturday). Temperatures will start off below freezing but will gradually climb to 2 or 3c later in the day.

Co's Wexford, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Tipperary, Carlow, Laois, Offaly, Limerick, Clare

Snow will reach these counties during the early afternoon. Initial accumulations of 5 or 6cms. This initial band should be shortlived but heavier snow should occur for a time in the afternoon. This will turn more sleety through the evening and may turn to rain for a little while and clear early tomorrow night with a little back edge sleet or snow again. Temperatures reaching highs of 1 or 2c.

Co's Dublin, Meath, Louth, West Meath, Kildare and Cavan.

Snow reaching these counties sometime around mid afternoon. Moderate or heavy snow is expected for a while which will turn sleety later in the evening and may turn to rain for a short time tomorrow night. A brief thaw of any lying snow should occur but will freeze again tomorrow night. Again 5 or 6cms.

On higher elevations as usual more snow and accumulations. Eleswhere in the country apart from Southeast Ulster it should remain mostly if not completely dry tomorrow. It seems unlikely now that any of this will reach North Connaught and most of Ulster. Let's see what the 12z model runs make of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Wexford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Isn't meteoalram updated by each country's own weather service.
    So it just mirrors what Met Eireann are saying (I Think).

Yeah it is as far as i know, but it looks good on the map anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

But wait the title says Friday / Saturday, or does that only apply to the Capital??? Cos its snowing, and very heavy here, looking at the sky i don't think there will be much though (heres hoping)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

well done DM

excellent post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

darkman2 wrote: »
    Does not look to me like the precipitation will get any further North then North Leinster. I think I should briefly go through counties expected to be effected on the latest high resolution runs.

Let's start with the South of the country

Co's Kerry, Cork and Waterford

An area of rain and sleet will get into these counties as dawn appraoches. Sleet on coasts but as the band of precipitation makes it's way inland it will turn immediately to snow to low levels but only for a short time. By mid morning after some early accumulations these counties should have mostly rain and a thaw of lying snow (this may freeze tomorrow night bringing tricky driving conditions for Saturday). Temperatures will start off below freezing but will gradually climb to 2 or 3c later in the day.

Co's Wexford, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Carlow, Laois, Offaly, Limerick, Clare

Snow will reach these counties during the early afternoon. Initial accumulations of 5 or 6cms. This initial band should be shortlived but heavier snow should occur for a time in the afternoon. This will turn more sleety through the evening and may turn to rain for a little while and clear early tomorrow night with a little back edge sleet or snow again. Temperatures reaching highs of 1 or 2c.

Co's Dublin, Meath, Louth, West Meath, Kildare and Cavan.

Snow reaching these counties sometime around mid afternoon. Moderate or heavy snow is expected for a while which will turn sleety later in the evening and may turn to rain for a short time tomorrow night. A brief thaw of any lying snow should occur but will freeze again tomorrow night. Again 5 or 6cms.

On higher elevations as usual more snow and accumulations. Eleswhere in the country apart from Southeast Ulster it should remain mostly if not completely dry tomorrow. It seems unlikely now that any of this will reach North Connaught and most of Ulster. Let's see what the 12z model runs make of it.

Does tipp no longer exist or do I just not get out much???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

MUSEIST wrote: »

Since September ye've been insufferable so best if we ignore ye for a while to bring ye back down to earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

from what it is worth, the latest NAE shows this precip making very little inroads into inland regions and further north.

Let us see what the GFS shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    well done DM

excellent post

+1

from what it is worth, the latest NAE shows this precip making very little inroads into inland regions and further north.

Terribly parachial question but if this system stays further south such that only its outer reaches hit Kerry/Cork/Waterford and the main body of the low stays at sea, could this help keep temps down enough such that whatever falls is of snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Nice! More chance of it staying as snow down here if the percip make little inroads inland.

12z GFS does bring a greater potential for precip to be snow.

A slacker gradient profile is projected with less easterly flow and more of a northerly tinge to the winds.

Seems like a light band of snow will push through early tomorrow this will clear before a heavier band of precip pushes in, turning to rain and sleet in the east and south fringes, before turning to snow towards evening and overnight as it clears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

I would consider the 12Z as a slight, very slight upgrade (temperature-wise). Funny how it coincides with an ever so slight expansion of the greenland high (compared to the 06Z run).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Terribly parachial question but if this system stays further south such that only its outer reaches hit Kerry/Cork/Waterford and the main body of the low stays at sea, could this help keep temps down enough such that whatever falls is of snow?

It will certainly help!:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Showing a delay in the fronts movement. Stops before Galway and looks like Athlone (myself) is right at the pivoting point before it moves off

plenty of heavy snow showers feeding into the north and west, pushing well inland on saturday morn too

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

plenty of heavy snow showers feeding into the north and west, pushing well inland on saturday morn too

Looks like most of the country is set for a dusting after all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭joe199

Looks like most of the country is set for a dusting after all :D

Ramp! :D

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

MUSEIST wrote: »

The good news is no :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

For Cork folk, it's very hard to call.
    I'm beginning to think it could snow here because even though we are close to the warm air we are also closer to the heavy ppn.
    My call for Cork is snow before 6am, then rain mixed with dry spells. It could easily snow again before it clears though. If I had to pick a town that will do well in all this it would be Thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The UKMO brings heavy ppn nationwide i.e Cork/Dublin:D

Seriously though i'm happy to call this a nationwide event now. mainly down to the angle of attack with winds always North of East.
    Expect Met Eireann to up the ante this evening.

Yes it will be marginal and it wont snow all the time but it looks very notable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

If I had to pick a town that will do well in all this it would be Thurles

:DI really hope your right:D

For Cork folk, it's very hard to call.
    I'm beginning to think it could snow here because even though we are close to the warm air we are also closer to the heavy ppn.
    My call for Cork is snow before 6am, then rain mixed with dry spells. It could easily snow again before it clears though. If I had to pick a town that will do well in all this it would be Thurles

I was actually going back through the thread for 9 Jan last year (sad I know) just to see what people were predicting in advance of the southerly low that time. You predicted very light snow for 12 hours in Cork (which went against the grain!) which was spot on so I'm very interested in this prediction now.

Again I'm being parochial but from a Cork city / suburbs point of view people mistakenly think of the city as being on the coast but its not. The harbour distorts our perception but in reality Cork city is a good 10-15 inland from the southern coast. This can and often does make a difference.

Interestingly the prediction gizmo on IWO, based on the 6z run, was showing rain for Carrigaline and Cobh but snow for CC. I know that's computer generated but it does just show that even that computer model didn't consider it fully coastal. It can work the other way too of course as in when we missed out on snow in late November that was too far south and hit Kinsale etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Typical... when the heaviest precip. is due to arrive ill be in work! .... :mad:

Interesting.

According to Hirlam there could be a period of Mod Snow even in Dublin from 9pm Friday until it clears around 2am

It will all hinge around the exact trajectory of the Low, if i can move in in such a way as to limit the easterly influence then some decent falls of snow are possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Typical... when the heaviest precip. is due to arrive ill be in work! .... :mad:

Dog + Skis = Win :pac:

• Advertisement

The latest GFS output now totally rules out any snow potential for connaught and a lot of Clare. It has slid somewhat more to the south and east and there is potential for it to slide further south and east again in the next run at 9.30pm. The GFS basically seems to be falling more into line with NAE and UKMO i.e. the heaviest precip confines to extreme south and southeast with the larger band of precipitation moving into wales and SW england. Sounds like a familar story...

ps...Rain is still the more likely outcome in dublin city, further inland the snow risk increases.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement