Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Significant Snow Risk Friday 7th/Saturday 8th January discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

When they say snow away from coasts re Dublin, how far inland are we talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Temps already below 0 in Dublin. Is our marginality based on the time of day that the precipitation will be hitting us, and therefore temps and dp's too high?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Away from the coasts means a few kilometers in my books i.e. from Dublin Airport inland or even a bit further...West Dublin, Lucan, Blanch, Castleknock but I still think there will be a good bit of wet snow in Dublin city centre but a lot of sleet on east facing coasts in places like Lusk/Skerries/Portmarnock. It will definitely snow for much of the time in inland parts of Dublin. I still feel it will rain and sleet in Waterford and Cork City but snow in parts of North Cork/Tipp. Just looking at temperature Ireland and Cork Airport is +2 degrees, Dublin airport is already - 2 and other parts of inland Dublin are below freezing as well. It is definitely milder in the South tonight - just check Temperature Ireland.:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Vudgie wrote: »
    Temps already below 0 in Dublin. Is our marginality based on the time of day that the precipitation will be hitting us, and therefore temps and dp's too high?

Well not really, it is based on the easterly feed the precip throws over us as the low pushes in.

And the movement of the cold airmass to our north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

They call it the ''one in a row'', and they're proud of it!!!
    God that is hilarious,will keep everyone laughing until next winter:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Theres a poster on this thread going on my ignore list.

Regarding Dublin away from the coast,I'd say the trend will be very sleety away from the higher suburbs of south Dublin.
    It could be worse than that or better.
    An all rain event in Dublin below Johnny foxes pub wouldn't surprise me with the roaring high dewpoint mixing wind from the irish sea.

Usually in my[sadly from an aching limbs point of view] decades of experience of snow chasing in Ireland including Dublin, if theres sleet at the coast,you have to go about 8 to 10 miles inland for the change to take place.
    Less than that if you have height , say 400ft or more.
    To take the m50 for example,if you have sleet in a place like Ranelagh or Rathmines,you'll find snow probably as you head towards Sandyford along the m50,right out to Carrickmines,sleet then for a bit and then full snow as you go a bit inland again and close to the sugarloaf heading south.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭arctictree

I'd say we'll get snow here tomorrow. My only issue is if I'll get a days work down in Bray done. I'm hoping that the precip will hold off until the afternoon.

arctictree wrote: »
    I'd say we'll get snow here tomorrow. My only issue is if I'll get a days work down in Bray done. I'm hoping that the precip will hold off until the afternoon.
    I'd aim to be on my way home by 2pm if I were you as anywhere around roundwood will be in a whiteout if the precip arrives earlier than 3 or 4 pm,which it might.
    I'll let you know when it reaches the south of the county anyhow,I'm hoping to do a few quick posts during the day.
    Just do a post search on my profile to find them if buried in this thread tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

It's coming quickly at the moment towards the whole south coast but will slow down perhaps?? http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Tomorrow morning, hitting south from 6am

Your about 7 hours out there wc.
    It will hit the South before midnight, indeed it's quite active on the radar to the South already.
    Cork fans stay up late, best snow chance is before dawn. Cork could get about 5 hours of snow before it turns back to rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Away from the coasts means a few kilometers in my books i.e. from Dublin Airport inland or even a bit further...West Dublin, Lucan, Blanch, Castleknock but I still think there will be a good bit of wet snow in Dublin city centre but a lot of sleet on east facing coasts in places like Lusk/Skerries/Portmarnock. It will definitely snow for much of the time in inland parts of Dublin. I still feel it will rain and sleet in Waterford and Cork City but snow in parts of North Cork/Tipp. Just looking at temperature Ireland and Cork Airport is +2 degrees, Dublin airport is already - 2 and other parts of inland Dublin are below freezing as well. It is definitely milder in the South tonight - just check Temperature Ireland.:):):)

Its -2.6 here so the cloud must be arriving in cork to get +2, honestly i doubt i ill see any snow tommorrow and i doubt cork, waterford, wicklow or dublin will either. Only areas that are WELL away from the east coast will see anything.

Because there will be strong easterlies wind creating mixing on the coast i say there is a better chance of snow ten miles inland of the south coast in Waterford than 10 miles inland of the east coast in Dublin. But then if the front pushes right over us it will introduce milder air and then any chances in the south are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I guess the snow tomorrow will not be the powdery snow we had earlier this winter, more the heavy wetter type we had last January which came from the Atlantic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

aboyro wrote: »
    feck that snow i reckon it won't happen now at all. there'll be a good south swell off that low though. waterford coast's saturday evening should show a bit of action!!!

So if cork is to get snow before 12 how about in waterford city surely that can not be on coast :confused: im hoping its turning to snow right now :D whats the story with it anyway that its hitting coasts as rain then turning snow , is it just wanting to give waterford a lashing before decorating the rest of the country in white stuff :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Its -2.6 here so the cloud must be arriving in cork to get +2, honestly i doubt i ill see any snow tommorrow and i doubt cork, waterford, wicklow or dublin will either. Only areas that are WELL away from the east coast will see anything.

Because there will be strong easterlies wind creating mixing on the coast i say there is a better chance of snow ten miles inland of the south coast in Waterford than 10 miles inland of the east coast in Dublin. But then if the front pushes right over us it will introduce milder air and then any chances in the south are gone.

If the wind remains slightly North of East in the South it could snow on the coast as the wind then will not be directly off the sea. All very marginal and the fact that Cork is pbly at it's lowest temp of the night now which is still above zero wont help.
    Heavy ppn will aid evaporative cooling though so we do have a chance here in Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Dr C

Is Dublin expected to escape most of the snow tomorrow?

Hopefully that is affirmative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Dr C wrote: »
    Is Dublin expected to escape most of the snow tomorrow?

Hopefully that is affirmative

Yes, to put it simply, but one can not say for definite, inland areas of the south and east expected to be worse hit with higher elevations getting the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Anyone know if Limerick is going to get a bit of snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

The airport is on stand by for heavy snow on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

If the wind remains slightly North of East in the South it could snow on the coast as the wind then will not be directly off the sea. All very marginal and the fact that Cork is pbly at it's lowest temp of the night now which is still above zero wont help.
    Heavy ppn will aid evaporative cooling though so we do have a chance here in Cork

I am 16 miles west of Cork city. Nearest coast is 17 miles as the crow flies. 55M ASL. Temperature outside is -1.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 snowlover

Just as a matter of interest its -5 in Navan at the mo... really hoping for some snow :p

• Advertisement

GavinH wrote: »
    I am 16 miles west of Cork city. Nearest coast is 17 miles as the crow flies. 55M ASL. Temperature outside is -1.
    cloudy or clear.
    It will be interesting to see what you get overnight into tomorrow ,between ballincollig and Macroom iirc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Snowman10

Is Carlow town gonna miss this snow? Elevation is roughly 50m

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

BEASTERLY wrote: »

I think you will be right with regards Waterfords snow chances for tomorrow as it just won't be cold enough. At the moment its 0.8c under clear skies, this is even before cloud cover arrives which will rise the temps even more. Maybe if it was -2 or -3 now we would have a chance but unfortunately we are nowhere near that.

Live Temps from www.waterfodcityweather.com

snowlover wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest its -5 in Navan at the mo... really hoping for some snow :p
    According to this pretty good snapshot the coldest good recording station at the moment is the n81 at baltinglass co wicklow at -4.8c

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

cloudy or clear.
    It will be interesting to see what you get overnight into tomorrow ,between ballincollig and Macroom iirc?

Clear at the moment, -1.2 now. Falling steadily since 5pm.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sonovagun wrote: »
    The airport is on stand by for heavy snow on Monday.

:confused: Should be milder and wet on Monday?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Nearest coast as tcf is four miles (I think); elevation 130m. Current conditions -4c and starry. Will we get snow? yes or no? :confused:

No. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

N81 coldest in Baltinglass. I agree with that here in Blessington and the dogs dont even want to go outside! Its bitter cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

I think you will be right with regards Waterfords snow chances for tomorrow as it just won't be cold enough. At the moment its 0.8c under clear skies, this is even before cloud cover arrives which will rise the temps even more. Maybe if it was -2 or -3 now we would have a chance but unfortunately we are nowhere near that.

Live Temps from www.waterfodcityweather.com

It -2.6c here, dont be getting my hopes up about having a chance!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Whats the temp it needs to be for snow :confused: +1 in waterford now :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement