Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Significant Snow Risk Friday 7th/Saturday 8th January discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭thomasj

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    It seems that the East of the country is on track for getting the worst of this snow event as this will be the coldest part of the country. Rain and sleet in South and SOUTH EAST and snow for the EAST. :D:D:D

I think it's dawning on me why people want regional threads :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

This is for M.T. Cranium - http://english.aljazeera.net/weather/2011/01/201113134728374445.html about the la nina and snow.
    Between now and the end of February we can expect heavy rain and snow for the west coast of Canada and the US, a harsh winter in Japan, heavy rain in northern Brazil, and wet weather in the southeastern parts of Africa, including Mozambique, Madagascar, South Africa and Tanzania.

Just something relevant for you as you give a lot relevant to us. How true about the la nina I don't know...

thomasj wrote: »
    I think it's dawning on me why people want regional threads :D:D:D:D

I'm just glad he isn't a forecaster :D:P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

im not to bothered jus as long as dublin doesnt get snow , sick of listening to them :P hopefully the airport wont be affected :rolleyes:

actually it would be super if jus all the south , southeast , and southwest areas got snow jus for once , with decent amounts.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

NIALL D wrote: »
    im not to bothered jus as long as dublin doesnt get snow , sick of listening to them :P hopefully the airport wont be affected :rolleyes:

actually it would be super if jus all the south , southeast , and southwest areas got snow jus for once , with decent amounts.. :D
    that would be really nice but, tbh at this stage I'd be happy if we didn't get cold rain and it stayed dry :(

• Advertisement

fizzycyst wrote: »
    that would be really nice but, tbh at this stage I'd be happy if we didn't get cold rain and it stayed dry :(

yes , thats true too..

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Aquals

Why are some people sick of hearing Dublin people talk about snow?

You never hear Dublin people saying that they're sick of people outside Dublin talking about snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Everyone seems in agreement that we here in Donegal are out of reach of this event. Being at the south end of the county is there any marginality in this for us?

As for the wintery showers we are being forecast yesterday, tonight and through the weekend is there any chance these could be more sustained than forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Ina different thread there is a discussion re snow above 0c, and when talking about DP's ect i came up with a good idea for making our snow less marginal. Here it is, in marginal snow events if we all go down to the plant hire store and rent a dehumidifier and turn them all on out in our back garden we might be able o 'dry' out the air and lower the Dewpoints!:D:D Whose with me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Much more likely that we get rain and places further north get the snow. :(
    Aquals wrote: »

You never hear Dublin people saying that they're sick of people outside Dublin talking about snow!

Well when dublin gets snowbound it affects the thousands who travel to dublin every day, all rail services, the main airport closes, the media dont shut up about it and everyone panics. When the rest of the country has snow, nobody really cares and we get to enjoy it in peace. :)

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Ina different thread there is a discussion re snow above 0c, and when talking about DP's ect i came up with a good idea for making our snow less marginal. Here it is, in marginal snow events if we all go down to the plant hire store and rent a dehumidifier and turn them all on out in our back garden we might be able o 'dry' out the air and lower the Dewpoints!:D:D Whose with me?

Great idea except the bit where we melt the national grid . .:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

you tend to hoard all the snow :) we dont get any. Will swap you a bag of turf for a bag of snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

It seems that the East of the country is on track for getting the worst of this snow event as this will be the coldest part of the country. Rain and sleet in South and SOUTH EAST and snow for the EAST. :D:D:D

I'd say there will be really warm rain in Cork (but not good warm) but there will be 10 feet of snow in Dublin coz its the bestest place in the world galaxy universe ever.

snow for the EAST. :D:D:D

LOL, I'll quote this again on friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

This is almost certainly going to be a rain and maybe sleet event at times by the east coast around Dublin , including the CC, thank feck, had enough of it this winter, and also i have a flight out on the 26th so any prolonged snow can sod off.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

I'd say there will be really warm rain in Cork (but not good warm) but there will be 10 feet of snow in Dublin coz its the bestest place in the world galaxy universe ever.

cork can have dublins yellow snow :eek:

Great idea except the bit where we melt the national grid . .:P

I think the general public would forgive that if it brought more of their beloved snow.:pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

GFS 18z projects a substantial snow event for areas in Ireland away from Southern and Eastern fringes. Midland regions could recieve over 24 hours of falling snow, moderate to heavy at times, 20-30cm of snow could not be ruled out in parts. Even eastern regions could see a brief period of snow to begin early Friday morning before turning to sleet and rain and again turning to snow as it clears early Saturdya morning.

Stay in touch to forecasts.

Unfortunately the onshore breeze in the east will put pay to any substantial chance of lying snow.

I called this event aaaaages ago

(this morning :P)

Do you remember how the media went crazy last winter when Cavan got drifts over 7 feet high, buildings collapsed, animals died, far worse snow than what Dublin got recently.

The media didn't make a fuss over it as Dublin wasn't affected, it is this kind of ignoring the rest of the country receives that makes people say "yeah, yeah" when Dublin gets snow.
    No offense intended, it is the fault of the Dublin based media, it doesn't do Dublin any favours.

Jean is on in that dress...

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

Min wrote: »
    Jean is on in that dress...
    I want to have her babies:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

going offline now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

BBC has this system making it almost as far as the north coast on their latest forecast. I think the general consensus is that nobody really has a clue what to expect yet

Harps wrote: »
    BBC has this system making it almost as far as the north coast on their latest forecast. I think the general consensus is that nobody really has a clue what to expect yet

yep , i agree , its just a waiting game now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I want to have her babies:D
    not sure if thats possible . . .:P

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭_whiskers

Could someone please explain to me in non weather terms what the chances are of Dublin CC seeing significant snowfall over the next week or two? (I can't look through all the pages as I'm on my phone) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

_whiskers wrote: »
    Could someone please explain to me in non weather terms what the chances are of Dublin CC seeing significant snowfall over the next week or two? (I can't look through all the pages as I'm on my phone) :)

Significant snowfall - about 1% in my opinion. I don't expect any lying snow like November and December in the CC for the foreseeable.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

_whiskers wrote: »
    well for the next few days it seems that any snow will be inland with rain/sleet on coastal areas but those in the know are saying subject to change or in other words a nowcast situation(or if you like snow fingers crossed :))

edit:check supercells post above

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Supercell wrote: »
    Significant snowfall - about 1% in my opinion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCFB2akLh4s&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭_whiskers

Thanks guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Will this snow stay on the ground for long?

or will it just snow then thaw?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement