Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Significant Snow Risk Friday 7th/Saturday 8th January discussion

Options

Comments

Interesting.

According to Hirlam there could be a period of Mod Snow even in Dublin from 9pm Friday until it clears around 2am

It will all hinge around the exact trajectory of the Low, if i can move in in such a way as to limit the easterly influence then some decent falls of snow are possible.
    Hirlam has been the best of a bad bunch lately.
    It's usually been right on precip give or take 30 or 40 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Madpaddy79

Some models are showing temps at 850hpa of -4 from mid morning Friday. Remaining that way all of friday. Calling for rain only Friday afternoon / night as it won't be cold enough for snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Dog + Skis = Win :pac:

I tried wit a skateboard without the wheels on it... didnt work too well, need a proper snowboard or skis :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Hirlam has been the best of a bad bunch lately.
    It's usually been right on precip give or take 30 or 40 miles.
    HIRLAM has had the system dropping further south and east with every run as well though. GFS has been following suit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I was actually going back through the thread for 9 Jan last year (sad I know) just to see what people were predicting in advance of the southerly low that time. You predicted very light snow for 12 hours in Cork (which went against the grain!) which was spot on so I'm very interested in this prediction now.

QUOTE]
    Thanks for that.
    So again the times for us to see snow are between midnight tonight and 6am. Definatly worth checking out if you wake up around 4am. Highground will of course help. It will then turn to rain around daybreak and stay as rain or dry until nightfall. Then just when it turns dark it could turn back to snow and snow heavily for about 3 or 4 hours.
    I expect little disruption in the city though places like Mitchelstown could get quite a pasting early tomorrow.
    Again your bit about the coast is spot on, it could quite well rain in Cobh and snow in Midleton -it's all that marginal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=kerry

found these guys give a reasonably ok prediction..not a bad site for the beginner to follow..easy to read :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

its only cold white rain ffs nothing to get soooo excited about :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This looks like another one of those times where the models underestimated either the ability of a weather to move through colder and denser air, or else underestimate cold air advection from the north. Until the last minute.

The models still throw us a lifeline with every run, in that with each run all it would take are some tiny tweaks to significantly raise snow potential. After new years eve 2009 though, I'd imagine it won't be very widespread. The lucky place though that is in the exact right spot for the front to pivot around the coldest air could see up to a few inches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Since September ye've been insufferable so best if we ignore ye for a while to bring ye back down to earth.

They call it the ''one in a row'', and they're proud of it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

They call it the ''one in a row'', and they're proud of it!!!

I predict sleet for the east and south coasts, wet snow for Dublin City centre, heavy at times but some snow accumulating in the west of the county. I expect sleet only for low lying areas of Waterford and Cork (including the city) and parts of wexford but wet snow above 200 metres, at least for a while. Dublin and Wicklow mountains will be a whiteout again as usual.:D:D:D

• Advertisement

won't let you know next time so :)

by the way, Dublin Airport's forecast is not good sign for greater dublin. snow risk is low

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

So what is the likelihood of any significant snow in south east limerick tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Reports of heavy snow in parts of NI and this is backed up by Raintoday.co.uk but the Met.ie rainfall radar is completely clear for the whole island.. how come???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

irish1967 wrote: »
    Reports of heavy snow in parts of NI and this is backed up by Raintoday.co.uk but the Met.ie rainfall radar is completely clear for the whole island.. how come???:confused:

Met.ie dont use the Belfast radar, thats why its best to use rain today or the UKMO radar as they use all 3 in Ireland.

snaps wrote: »
    Met.ie dont use the Belfast radar, thats why its best to use rain today or the UKMO radar as they use all 3 in Ireland.

If you use meteox you get an even bigger picture! ( for europe - ireland has less detail :()

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

When is the rain/snow hitting the south of irl i cant see it on radar :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

jo06555 wrote: »
    When is the rain/snow hitting the south of irl i cant see it on radar :confused:

Tomorrow morning, hitting south from 6am

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

darkman2 wrote: »
    5 - 10cm. Not saying there will be 10cm but best to expect that sort of amount if travelling or something.

do you still think county meath will/could still get this amount or are we been downgraded to 1-2 flakes or buckets of rain

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

feck that snow i reckon it won't happen now at all. there'll be a good south swell off that low though. waterford coast's saturday evening should show a bit of action!!!

A nice forecast for NW at last... could be fun on Saturday !!:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

hail, rain, sleet, and maybe snow all in 1 day, followed by a frost, should be fun for ye alright

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    thanks for that,its just over the mountain from me.
    your new site is excellent by the way.Second site I check every day(after here)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

bring it on in buckets

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just seen the bbc forecast, shows us white for Saturday and the man said snow for NI on saturday :)
    Where are the reports of heavy snow in NI today?

Pangea wrote: »
    Just seen the bbc forecast, shows us white for Saturday and the man said snow for NI on saturday :)
    Where are the reports of heavy snow in NI today?

http://www.irishweatheronline.com/

tweets live on IWO

loughneaghmartydrossa: very heavy snow and low visibility from castledawson to dungiven via glenshane pass@NEWSLINEWEATHER #IWO #metofficeni about 1 hour ago · reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Reports on the Donegal forum that there were heavy snow showers around here earlier as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

we had one earlier , pic in the weather pics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement