Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

L1011 wrote: »
    Post subjects appear only on some versions of the site
    I was somewhat bemused myself but sorta guessed it was info on new frame joining fleet.

Have been 'sans-laptop' over the last 4-5 days so only on the mobile phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Ryanair will be the airline to swoop in if Alitalia do ground aircraft but Alitalia appears to the be the airline that never dies, loss making for the majority of its history but still flying and able to spend money on rebrands!

Pleased to hear the "new" A320s are on the way and of course the new A330! Wonder if the A320s have been fitted with slimline seats like other IAG carriers or if they've stuck with the current standard which I prefer to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,562 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ryanair will be the airline to swoop in if Alitalia do ground aircraft.

There's also a huge collection of other LCCs with Italian bases - it won't be even as clear cut as when Malev died and there was only one LCC in BUD.

Blue Air have a major base in Turin, Vueling in Florence and FCO, Volotea with bases all over etc. Additionally, there'll be legacy carriers adding capacity for connections to replace longhaul and that could easily include Aer Lingus as well as the obvious ones - BA/IB/LX/KL etc

Not saying that Ryanair won't be in ASAP and pick up major share; but its not a single player opening!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

EI997 has just landed in DUB from Ostrava, one of the new jets I assume

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Locker10a wrote: »
    EI997 has just landed in DUB from Ostrava, one of the new jets I assume
    That agrees with the earlier post - should be EI-GAL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭john boye

Has it not been flying today? The EI604/5
    And the afternoon AGP? Although I may be wrong

Yeah I was fairly sure I sure I saw it in AMS earlier, meant to look it up on playback when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

New arrival GAL flew AMS And AGP saturday , was on the aircraft and noted the brand new EI config, spotless inside and out .

GAM due this week, both are containerised luggage in hold in line with all other 319/320 in fleet

Www.thelingussource.com also confirms EI GAJ the next 330 has flown , test flight, full exterior paint completed but I have no arrival date yet

With FAO going A330 days 12345 from 29may GAJ is certainly due into service by then .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Here's EI-GAJ, fully painted and doing tests in Toulouse. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzrf4Od7qbA

Named St. Carthage / Mochuta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

What a name. Wish they'd drop this tradition.

Would love to see them name them after Irish rivers or mountains, islands etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Yeah, get rid of this saint thing, it's not as if it makes a difference any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    What a name. Wish they'd drop this tradition.

Would love to see them name them after Irish rivers or mountains, islands etc.

I think I heard GAK will be St.Ultan,another makey uppy one 😀😀

roundymac wrote: »
    Yeah, get rid of this saint thing, it's not as if it makes a difference any more.

''Tis bad luck to make or break tradition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The future EI-GAJ, EI's new A330-300, has its paint on and is currently doing ground tests at Toulouse

https://youtu.be/Pzrf4Od7qbA

As posted by kevinandrew earlier today...

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

Oops. I had bookmarked an old page of the thread!

A319er wrote: »
    New arrival GAL flew AMS And AGP saturday , was on the aircraft and noted the brand new EI config, spotless inside and out .

GAM due this week, both are containerised luggage in hold in line with all other 319/320 in fleet

Www.thelingussource.com also confirms EI GAJ the next 330 has flown , test flight, full exterior paint completed but I have no arrival date yet
    29/30th delivery
    Don't think it has test flown, not scheduled till 15th may

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Apologies if I confused anyone EI have 4 new aircraft due this year , two have left ZV to Allegiant and ZW to Brussels airlines ,

Today we anticipated EI - GAL A320 from leasing company ex Russian airlines but for operational reasons aircraft will position Friday from OSR

Aircraft fully EI livery Y174 new EI seats and EI config

So back to 33 A320 with One more due and ad hoc hire likely

Is EI-EZW having a pre-delivery/acceptance flight today or something...?
    https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ei-ezw#d4f2845

In 1946 the option of using Irish birds as names was considered.

Personally I like the naming of aircraft. I do think the introduction of the B757 was an opportunity to alter the tradition by calling those airframes after Irish rivers. Ie. Shannon, Lee, Liffey, Foyle (or Bann even)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Tenger wrote: »

Personally I like the naming of aircraft. I do think the introduction of the B757 was an opportunity to alter the tradition by calling those airframes after Irish rivers. Ie. Shannon, Lee, Liffey, Foyle (or Bann even)

I like the tradition of naming the aircraft after Irish saints.

It's original and the river thing has already been done by British Airways with their Boeing 737 fleet a long time ago.

Let's stick with our original saint idea instead of copying BA. We sometimes do things differently to other nations and originality is a good thing, not to be ashamed of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

We have Irish Rail for river names, I like the tradition of saints and stopping it would just be more pc nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Was that RTO planned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Comhra wrote: »

It's original and the river thing has already been done by British Airways with their Boeing 737 fleet a long time ago.

Let's stick with our original saint idea instead of copying BA. We sometimes do things differently to other nations and originality is a good thing, not to be ashamed of.

Let's go secular and name them after great Irish citizens

Comhra wrote: »

EI will run out of actual Irish saints (arguably some of the current ones aren't anyway) soon enough. They are long since in to reusing retired names which most other airlines with naming policies don't

KLM use a naming concept per type - 747s are capitals, MD11s were famous women, etc. They don't put names on regional aircraft, whereas EI do on the few that are in full colours which has further used up the limited pool

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

With FAO going A330 days 12345 from 29may GAJ is certainly due into service by then .

I thought it was only on Wednesday and Friday, but could be wrong.

Aer Lingus also took bookings for the October bank holiday week for Faro and then appeared to cancel some of the flights ( Thursday and Friday). Why do that so early?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭Rawr

EI will run out of actual Irish saints (arguably some of the current ones aren't anyway) soon enough. They are long since in to reusing retired names which most other airlines with naming policies don't

KLM use a naming concept per type - 747s are capitals, MD11s were famous women, etc. They don't put names on regional aircraft, whereas EI do on the few that are in full colours which has further used up the limited pool

Now there's an idea, place names; How about the names of Irish towns / villages?
    There are probably 100s of names they could use there with plenty to spare :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

joeysoap wrote: »
    I thought it was only on Wednesday and Friday, but could be wrong.

Aer Lingus also took bookings for the October bank holiday week for Faro and then appeared to cancel some of the flights ( Thursday and Friday). Why do that so early?

Mo,Wd,Fr showing at the minute. As for the bookings probally during the summer/winter schedule switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Why would Aeroflot 'store' a 2009 320? Quick glance at airfleets show they have much older 320's active. Could this be a 'troublesome' aircraft that was first on their list for getting rid of?

This post gave me a laugh yesterday while I was waiting for a 1.5 hour delayed EI-GAL at FCO yesterday

Why would Aeroflot 'store' a 2009 320? Quick glance at airfleets show they have much older 320's active. Could this be a 'troublesome' aircraft that was first on their list for getting rid of?

This post gave me a laugh yesterday while I was waiting for a 1.5 hour delayed EI-GAL at FCO yesterday
    Oh dear :0 was it a tech delay too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Oh dear :0 was it a tech delay too

Flight from dub to fco delayed coz one engine wouldn't start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The culprit

The culprit

Parking her right in front of the lounge as if to show off her shiny new paint job.

• Advertisement

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Was that RTO planned?
    Part of the testing program I guess?
    vicwatson wrote: »
    Let's go secular and name them after great Irish citizens
    Irish writers would be a good place to start. Dont EI have approx 50 airframes at present?
    Could keep saints on widebody, with citizens on narrowbody or vice versa?
    EI will run out of actual Irish saints (arguably some of the current ones aren't anyway) soon enough. They are long since in to reusing retired names...............
    I think Ireland has only approx 12-15 'official' Saints anyway. During the Middle Ages the Irish Church was quite independant so they had quite a few of their own 'Saints'. Hence the large pool that EI have to work with.
    Back in my former career I saw the list and if memory serves it was a little under 50 names. Hence the recycling and the current odd introduction. Some of the more unusual names are old Irish names no longer used, looking at you Naithi, (a real historical person BTW)
    Notice that the Regional names are ones previously used on Aer Lingus Commuter, and the names on the A321's were all Ulster Saints to reflect the Peace Process which was ongoing around the time of their delivery.

So with that in mind the 'Irish Citizens' idea continues the connection. Personally I dont find the current tradition to be religious, I find it to be historical. But then as I taught history I often look at things in terms of centuries rather than decades or years. (The missus gives out to me about that)

As regards the recyling of names, my copy of Flight of the Iolar (told you about the history fication) lets me see all the usage of names up to 1986. looking at older photos its looks like Patrick has been on 8 aircraft at this point with another 3 names similarly used 8 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Part of the testing program I guess?

Irish writers would be a good place to start. Dont EI have approx 50 airframes at present?
    Could keep saints on widebody, with citizens on narrowbody or vice versa?I think Ireland has only approx 12-15 'official' Saints anyway. During the Middle Ages the Irish Church was quite independant so they had quite a few of their own 'Saints'. Hence the large pool that EI have to work with.
    Back in my former career I saw the list and if memory serves it was a little under 50 names. Hence the recycling and the current odd introduction. Some of the more unusual names are old Irish names no longer used, looking at you Naithi, (a real historical person BTW)
    Notice that the Regional names are ones previously used on Aer Lingus Commuter, and the names on the A321's were all Ulster Saints to reflect the Peace Process which was ongoing around the time of their delivery.

So with that in mind the 'Irish Citizens' idea continues the connection. Personally I dont find the current tradition to be religious, I find it to be historical. But then as I taught history I often look at things in terms of centuries rather than decades or years. (The missus gives out to me about that)

As regards the recyling of names, my copy of Flight of the Iolar (told you about the history fication) lets me see all the usage of names up to 1986. looking at older photos its looks like Patrick has been on 8 aircraft at this point with another 3 names similarly used 8 times.

I think using Irish writers names would be a great idea, esp. if the saints are all used at this stage. As Tenger says, the 'saint' idea is more historical than religious at this stage, and using the names of Irish writers or maybe even poets, would be very much in keeping with the EI culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I'm not bothered about secular/religious, I just thing they're rubbish names for airplanes. When I see "Carthage" I think "Carnage".

It's probably a good idea to keep some of them, St. Patrick being the obvious one.

I think naming them after real people could get political and be risky if the person subsequently became controversial. Imagine BA flying the "Jimmy Saville"

Therefore, I'd be in favour of our offshore islands, rivers, mountain ranges, landmarks......

I'm not bothered about secular/religious, I just thing they're rubbish names for airplanes. When I see "Carthage" I think "Carnage".

It's probably a good idea to keep some of them, St. Patrick being the obvious one.

I think naming them after real people could get political and be risky if the person subsequently became controversial. Imagine BA flying the "Jimmy Saville"

Therefore, I'd be in favour of our offshore islands, rivers, mountain ranges.

Exactly. Who knows what we could find out about Yeats or Heaney in twenty years, you're not gonna get a scandal out of the name of a mountain range or a river.

I'd be happy to fly on Slaney or Lugnaquilla, to me anyway it has a closer link to the country and our heritage than Saints do.

I actually know of 3 men called Carthage. Friend of my dads when I was young, a guy I still am in touch with from past workplace and a brother of a current workmate. Apparently its a not uncommon name in Kilkenny, think she is from there.
    (Im quite bemused by the Irish version though, am not sure how correct that is)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

First thing I think of with Carthage is Hannibal, must be the history nerd in me.

Looks like GAJ arriving 24th,into service 26th....

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Looks like GAJ arriving 24th,into service 26th....

Anyone watch Heathrow last night on UTV/ITV? Pilot flew to a Seattle to pickup a Dreamliner for BA. It was given a checkover at Heathrow, bit of oil added (as apparently a flight can use up some oil) and in service 2 hours later. Beautiful looking airplane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Anyone watch Heathrow last night on UTV/ITV? Pilot flew to a Seattle to pickup a Dreamliner for BA. It was given a checkover at Heathrow, bit of oil added (as apparently a flight can use up some oil) and in service 2 hours later. Beautiful looking airplane.

Just watched it. G-ZBKP arrived LHR Dec 8, 2016 and entered service Dec 12, 2016. It was in the air 2 hours after being towed from base to stand 575.

Foggy43 wrote: »
    Just watched it. G-ZBKP arrived LHR Dec 8, 2016 and entered service Dec 12, 2016. It was in the air 2 hours after being towed from base to stand 575.

Thanks for that. I obviously missed that. Makes more sense than what I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

You didn't miss anything. I checked on what was said. The base input wasn't mentioned. Equipment and software needs loading before revenue flights. Hyped up a little perhaps.

Equipment and software needs loading before revenue flights.

Some management/fleet planners in airlines fail to understand this....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I actually know of 3 men called Carthage. Friend of my dads when I was young, a guy I still am in touch with from past workplace and a brother of a current workmate. Apparently its a not uncommon name in Kilkenny, think she is from there.
    (Im quite bemused by the Irish version though, am not sure how correct that is)

I thought the Irish language version was "Cárthach" and provided the basis for the well-known Irish surname McCarthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

EchoIndia wrote: »
    I thought the Irish language version was "Cárthach" and provides the basis for the well-know Irish surname McCarthy.

The saint was known in Irish as Naomh Mo Chutu mac Fíanaill but was also known as Carthach or Carthach the Younger.

That then forms the basis for Saint Carthage in English!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mo_Chutu_of_Lismore

As above it's a nice tradition that refers back to ancient Ireland and I don't see any harm in it.

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Equipment and software needs loading before revenue flights.

Some management/fleet planners in airlines fail to understand this....

Yeah, the same ones who think 40min turns, all day, on Fridays and Sundays, in summer, will work.....

Yeah, the same ones who think 40min turns, all day, on Fridays and Sundays, in summer, will work.....
    Dont feel special, that mgmt planning belief exists all over.
    EG; Physically relocationing the company over the weekend and being surprised that it wasnt up to speed again by Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

I think Ireland has only approx 12-15 'official' Saints anyway. During the Middle Ages the Irish Church was quite independant so they had quite a few of their own 'Saints'. Hence the large pool that EI have to work with.

Yep there seems to be a ton of Saints from the era when local churches could make whoever they want into a Saint.

I agree, I think its more histrorical and highlight in a lot of cases Irish names these days and given 101 things are named after authors in Ireland I like that EI are somewhat more unique.

Also 'notable Irish people' would descend into any twopence ha'penny sportsperson on the side of an A350 just for some attention for the press release.

Rawr wrote: »
    Now there's an idea, place names; How about the names of Irish towns / villages?
    There are probably 100s of names they could use there with plenty to spare :)

Done by Ryanair until the fleet got too big. "Spirit of X"

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Any update on GAM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

GAM is St Brona apparently

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement