Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

Looks like arrival into DUB possibly on the 29th. There's extra 330 capacity needed that week too due to the American Football game on Sep 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Naturally it won't be used for passenger service on that weekend as there is no guarantee.

Off topic but are UA dong a B747 charter?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Naturally it won't be used for passenger service on that weekend as there is no guarantee.

I count 9 A330 transatlantic flights are scheduled on Sep 1....

MoeJay wrote: »
    I count 9 A330 transatlantic flights are scheduled on Sep 1....

Apologies on EWR of course but for some reason whatever way I read it fist I concluded both a/c would of arrived and hence second would not be used.

Apologies on EWR of course but for some reason whatever way I read it fist I concluded both a/c would of arrived and hence second would not be used.

Gotcha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭john boye

The MAD-IAD frame came back in 2013
    The "Shannon" 330 came in 2014 + a 757 for YYZ
    EI-EWR came back in 2015
    Just an extra 757 this year.

Just saw this in the DUB new runway/infrastructure thread and was wondering was the MAD-IAD route operated by an EI frame? I know about the venture on this route with UA but I thought it was operated by UA?

john boye wrote: »
    The MAD-IAD frame came back in 2013
    The "Shannon" 330 came in 2014 + a 757 for YYZ
    EI-EWR came back in 2015
    Just an extra 757 this year.

Just saw this in the DUB new runway/infrastructure thread and was wondering was the MAD-IAD route operated by an EI frame? I know about the venture on this route with UA but I thought it was operated by UA?

Aer Lingus operated it for UA, all UA done was sell tickets. UA now operate it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Lockheed

this has probably been asked before, but do the A321s have much future in the fleet? They're getting older now, about 16 or 17 years off the top of my head? Just wondering,as I've been blessed with a chance to fly on one later this month lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Lockheed wrote: »
    this has probably been asked before, but do the A321s have much future in the fleet? They're getting older now, about 16 or 17 years off the top of my head? Just wondering,as I've been blessed with a chance to fly on one later this month lol
    A321s will remain in the EI fleet but in the form of the transatlantic long range version. Current ones will likely be gone in a year or two, unless replaced as a result of IAG swapping aircraft around between airlines

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Lots of 321 flights to Faro at present. Two most days, with a 320 sandwiched in the middle. I suspect it helps keeps the fares with rivals competitive, with the extra capacity they can carry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭john boye

Locker10a wrote: »
    A321s will remain in the EI fleet but in the form of the transatlantic long range version. Current ones will likely be gone in a year or two, unless replaced as a result of IAG swapping aircraft around between airlines

Would they not be looking at any A321neo's to replace the 3 they have in the SH fleet? Seems like they'd miss the extra lift on the sun routes?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

joeysoap wrote: »
    Lots of 321 flights to Faro at present. Two most days, with a 320 sandwiched in the middle. I suspect it helps keeps the fares with rivals competitive, with the extra capacity they can carry.

Plenty of capacity going to Faro with the 332 doing the Sunday morning run, so as long as it's busy, they'll always use the 321's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TheCockpitGuy

I dont see the issue with the age of an aircraft as long as they are maintained correctly.

A 16/17 year old A321 is not like a car of the same vintage.

I dont see the issue with the age of an aircraft as long as they are maintained correctly.

A 16/17 year old A321 is not like a car of the same vintage.

Agreed once well maintained older aircraft are no problem at all and last for years! But if you're a relatively small airline like EI I imagine this can begin to cost a lot over time! I know in America it's common to have planes that are 20+ years but those airlines are so huge it's easier to absorb the cost of maintaining them.
    Coincidentally do the A321s have the "refreshed" cabin that EI fitted to some of its older 320s over the last 12/15 months?

Agreed once well maintained older aircraft are no problem at all and last for years! But if you're a relatively small airline like EI I imagine this can begin to cost a lot over time! I know in America it's common to have planes that are 20+ years but those airlines are so huge it's easier to absorb the cost of maintaining them.
    Coincidentally do the A321s have the "refreshed" cabin that EI fitted to some of its older 320s over the last 12/15 months?

Returned from Tenerife in April on. 321 - looked the same to me. The new 737 at RY have a very modern cabin. Flew to Faro on one - returning on a 321.

joeysoap wrote: »

Returned from Tenerife in April on. 321 - looked the same to me. The new 737 at RY have a very modern cabin. Flew to Faro on one - returning on a 321.

When I say new cabin I meant newly upholstered seats !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

A321's have the original cabin (well the one after the reconfiguration when business class was removed), even still have the curtain rails for the business class divider.

The fleet projections suggest an additional A321 was coming/sought

For Dublin LHR and bucket and spade the A321 is king, the economics are good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

From reading the Q2 call transcript, I think we will see some A321-LR orders by IAG for EI before the end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Did someone mention that EI-FNG had its first flight today?

A321's have the original cabin (well the one after the reconfiguration when business class was removed), even still have the curtain rails for the business class divider.

The fleet projections suggest an additional A321 was coming/sought

For Dublin LHR and bucket and spade the A321 is king, the economics are good
    The whole purpose of the A321 was for the DUB-LHR wasn't it!? its proved great for bucket and spade routes too but now, as in 2016 the A321s are rarely/never used on LHR rotations, its always an A320

• Advertisement

LHR lost A321 capacity when EI reduced the fleet from 6 to 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

LHR lost A321 capacity when EI reduced the fleet from 6 to 3.

A321's are allocated to routes based on the booking profile or an obvious source of demand occurs (football match) etc a A321 is restored in.

A321 still gets to LHR frequently enough but during the Summer its bucket and spade operation, all three in the fleet are busy shuttling around the tourist hotspots.

A321 is favorite with the bean counters, lots of seats. Great fun if you manage to get an empty one out of LHR and get an intersection take off

A321's are allocated to routes based on the booking profile or an obvious source of demand occurs (football match) etc a A321 is restored in.

A321 still gets to LHR frequently enough but during the Summer its bucket and spade operation, all three in the fleet are busy shuttling around the tourist hotspots.

A321 is favorite with the bean counters, lots of seats. Great fun if you manage to get an empty one out of LHR and get an intersection take off

I am aware of it but when they had 6 LHR had at least 1 full time A321. Very few go these days as in winter they are usually on maintenance or charters, canneries and in summer 99% Med routes. AMS was another big A321 route for the 06.00 but rarely happens now. Cork used to see the A321 on LHR etc.

They have been talking about getting 2-3 more in recent years but it's never happened yet.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8509543@N03/28994716226/

New A330, 31st is likely date now and then not much later for 2nd

When I say new cabin I meant newly upholstered seats !!

Was on a 321 from Faro last night. Seats looked ok. I was half dozing at one stage and in that state where you overhear conversations when I heard a lady passenger behind me say to someone' it's a bit of a dirty old plane ' I have no idea what she was referring to , assume it was the aircraft we were on. I though that it was ok but maybe her row was dirty or maybe something else. My drop down tray was well used, but bar that looked ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

I was on a321 back from faro on Monday night, ei-cph. I was struck by how clean and tidy the aircraft was.

Having herd about the lack of cleaning at out stations I can only assume the crew did a great job before we embarked. CPH didnt feel old either on the inside. Considering it was a full flight and according to the crew most of the 321 routes have been full, or close to all season it's hard to see ei nit refreshing the 321 fleet

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8509543@N03/28994716226/

New A330, 31st is likely date now and then not much later for 2nd

Still hoping one of the future 3 will get a retro colors...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

They did it once before........never say never.

Or just get the fleet department to order it in like that and not tell marketing until the last minute :D They'll have to do some marketing then :D

They did it once before........never say never.

Or just get the fleet department to order it in like that and not tell marketing until the last minute :D They'll have to do some marketing then :D

The last time it was done was because at that time EI was under the strong and conscientious leadership of Muller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Cravens

I'm seeing on a certain rumour network that BA's younger 767's are earmarked for EI. I think it's a load of BS really. The rumour that I don't see as BS however, is that EI's A359s are to go to BA on the basis that they can carry as much as a 777-200ER while burning 20% less fuel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement