Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

trellheim wrote: »
    Did EI go daily on SFO ? I thought it was only Thu and Sun

Absolutely it is daily.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

tippman1 wrote: »
    It's Aer Lingus A320, registration EI-DVM.

Read about it here:

http://corporate.aerlingus.com/mediacentre/75thanniversary/

I'm really glad they kept the livery as I thought they might have painted it green after the 75th anniversary year ended.

I've seen a few airlines in Europe with the classic livery on a modern aircraft, and I have to they look the shizz

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    What's this plane with the old logo
    The retro jet for the 75th anniversary of Aer Lingus been flying around since 2011

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

trellheim wrote: »
    Did EI go daily on SFO ? I thought it was only Thu and Sun
    Think it launched in 2014 with 4 weekly and went daily in Summer 2015. Winter 15/16 it was 4 weekly.
    CEO talked about upguaging to A333 in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Another photo of EI-FNG

• Advertisement

New A330 due 29th from 1700 onwards. (Not fact for those that need to be told).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Anybody know whey EI dont offer wifi in Business class on the 757? Seems a bit strange, not to offer a service that is standard on nearly every other Business class in the world now.

Fattes wrote: »
    Anybody know whey EI dont offer wifi in Business class on the 757? Seems a bit strange, not to offer a service that is standard on nearly every other Business class in the world now.

Dont think it really is that standard. US airines are only rolling out oceanic wifi capability at the moment. BA I dont think have it on their aircraft.
    Some J Class's might have it but you have to pay for it.

EI installed the wifi on the A330's at a large cost (and a recurrent upkeep cost and fuel penalty) They didnt do so on the B757 as they were only planned to operated 2015-18. Since then the contract has been extended until 2020. Now we have the possibility of the B757 being replaced by the A321LR by then (if IAG make a decision on that)
    or IAG installing their recently announced wifi system provider (GoGo?) on the 4 EI/ASL B757's for the remaining duration of the contract. (which might not be worth it for 2-3 years)

This has been mentioned before they have singed a contract with a company to provide this, it will be installed

Tenger wrote: »
    Dont think it really is that standard. US airines are only rolling out oceanic wifi capability at the moment. BA I dont think have it on their aircraft.
    Some J Class's might have it but you have to pay for it.

Cheers, Delta have it as standard on most of their business class flights, as do Lufthansa and Swiss among others. Just noticed today they don't have it on the 757, and we will be using them this week. Was curious as to why. Thanks lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

Tenger is correct in saying that GoGo has the contract to provide wifi to the EI/ABR 757s, and will be installed as the aircraft go in for maintainence over the coming winter period, most likely Jan-Mar as this seems to be the "quiet" period for EI, as the A330s go for their mx around this time too. I believe that GoGo are also providing wifi to other IAG group aircraft, but can't remember which off the top of my head. Not EI's A320/321 fleet though.

As far as travelling on the 757s goes, I've had the pleasure of both the 757 and the A330 to and from IAD this year, and I much prefer the 757 for the simple reason that the IFE system on the 757 is far far superior. The 757 uses the RAVE system, which is very responsive (nearly as responsive as a tablet or an iPad), requires no adaptor for headphones, and has USB charging build into the screen. Whereas the A330 fleet uses the older Panasonic ex2 (or ex3 on EI-EWR, which isn't as old but is VERY buggy) which is lethargic and tired at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Huh? Neither of the other IAG mainline airlines offer wifi as standard.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Huh? Neither of the other IAG mainline airlines offer wifi as standard.

Business Class is the important part, in the post. New BA aircraft have it, more importantly Delta offer it, American have it on their 777, and United have it for a fee on their business class. You know the airlines EI are in competition with on the trans Atlantic routes. But the lads have answered it above that it will be fitted going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Business Class is the important part, in the post. New BA aircraft have it, more importantly Delta offer it, American have it on their 777, and United have it for a fee on their business class. You know the airlines EI are in competition with on the trans Atlantic routes. But the lads have answered it above that it will be fitted going forward.

So you are also pointing out that the airlines EI are in competition with have yet to fully fit our their fleets just like EI so what is the issue...

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    So you are also pointing out that the airlines EI are in competition with have yet to fully fit our their fleets just like EI so what is the issue...

Delta and United both have it available from Dublin, & have done for a while American will have it from Next month! So 2/3 competing airlines offer it on all Dub flights EI don't that's was kind of the point

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

With Delta, United and American, don't they use ground providers for their WiFi as opposed to satellite based? If they do this means absoutley no WiFi while your flying over the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I haven't traveled anything longhaul other than business or first for 15 years; it is not "standard" for other airlines as your post stated. On many mainline airlines it is being rolled out on new deliveries. Your original post criticised its absence on 20 year old birds which are leased into the fleet for a short period. With respect, your follow up has acknowledged it's not standard even on the Carriers you have cited.

Delta and United both have it available from Dublin, & have done for a while American will have it from Next month! So 2/3 competing airlines offer it on all Dub flights EI don't that's was kind of the point

If it so critical then there is 8 soon to be 10 other daily flights to chose than a 752 to YYZ and peak JFK service.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

River Song wrote: »
    Whereas the A330 fleet uses the older Panasonic ex2 (or ex3 on EI-EWR, which isn't as old but is VERY buggy) which is lethargic and tired at best.

EWR has exlite system(user wise looks like ex3,) which is very poor redundancy wise both user and head end but it has the newer gen screens which give no trouble,there was an update recently on Exlite that has movies loaded into the screen to provide a bit of redundancy
    The new craft will have ex3 with new gen screens like EWR screens but will have proper redundancy networks,less maintenance with no remote jacks, in screen headphone Jack,no personal handsets except for business and fixed ones at front economy zones,no wall mounted monitors,better map software.The head end components are slightly different too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Three systems across one fleet sounds like an utter nightmare for parts etc.

• Advertisement

Bussywussy wrote: »
    EWR has exlite system(user wise looks like ex3,) which is very poor redundancy wise both user and head end but it has the newer gen screens which give no trouble,there was an update recently on Exlite that has movies loaded into the screen to provide a bit of redundancy
    The new craft will have ex3 with new gen screens like EWR screens but will have proper redundancy networks,less maintenance with no remote jacks, in screen headphone Jack,no personal handsets except for business and fixed ones at front economy zones,no wall mounted monitors,better map software.The head end components are slightly different too.

Jaysus, I might need a lie down after reading that paragraph......thanks I think......

L1011 wrote: »
    Three systems across one fleet sounds like an utter nightmare for parts etc.

It'll be 3 sets of parts really from head end/distribution side,ex2 cabin parts and then ex3/EWR cabin parts.there may be a plan to refit the cabin screens etc in the ex2 A330s so all economy cabins will be the same but this requires modded seat backs for the newer monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Another of FNG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Hi guys, it's been a while, just a heads up FNG is scheduled to be delivered now on the 31-08, EI2535 TLS-DUB 1615/1730. Of course subject to change, scheduled on its first revenue service on 1st Sep to Boston as EIN2133 (additional flight for Aer Lingus College Football Classic).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

River Song wrote: »
    Tenger is correct in saying that GoGo has the contract to provide wifi to the EI/ABR 757s, and will be installed as the aircraft go in for maintainence over the coming winter period, most likely Jan-Mar as this seems to be the "quiet" period for EI, as the A330s go for their mx around this time too. I believe that GoGo are also providing wifi to other IAG group aircraft, but can't remember which off the top of my head. Not EI's A320/321 fleet though.

As far as travelling on the 757s goes, I've had the pleasure of both the 757 and the A330 to and from IAD this year, and I much prefer the 757 for the simple reason that the IFE system on the 757 is far far superior. The 757 uses the RAVE system, which is very responsive (nearly as responsive as a tablet or an iPad), requires no adaptor for headphones, and has USB charging build into the screen. Whereas the A330 fleet uses the older Panasonic ex2 (or ex3 on EI-EWR, which isn't as old but is VERY buggy) which is lethargic and tired at best.

I flew on EI-EWR to the states in march and the entertainment system was terrible constant freezing and other problems I ended up just giving up and using my phone on wifi.

jay93 wrote: »
    I flew on EI-EWR to the states in march and the entertainment system was terrible constant freezing and other problems I ended up just giving up and using my phone on wifi.
    Bussywussy wrote: »
    EWR has Exlite system(user wise looks like Ex3,) which is very poor redundancy wise both user and head end but it has the newer gen screens which give no trouble,there was an update recently on Exlite that has movies loaded into the screen to provide a bit of redundancy......
    Im taking a punt here but maybe its a case of the manufacturer trying to slimdown a system that isnt able to take it?
    Pushing the older system too far?

If anyone wants to read the Panasonic marketing blurb about X series IFE:
    http://www.panasonic.aero/InflightSystems/XSeries/Systems.aspx

Tenger wrote: »
    Im taking a punt here but maybe its a case of the manufacturer trying to slimdown a system that isnt able to take it?
    Pushing the older system too far?

If anyone wants to read the Panasonic marketing blurb about X series IFE:
    http://www.panasonic.aero/InflightSystems/XSeries/Systems.aspx[/iquote]

You might be right,the similar system probably works well on a narrow body The head end components are old enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,482 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Was flying Delta to Seattle recently, but had the misfortune to have the DUB/JFK flight cancelled and was changed to Aer Lingus via LAX instead on a 332. Uncomfortable seats, slow/bad quality entertainment system, and they still have the dual 3.5 headphone plugs (lucky I remembered to pack an adapter when I got switched). The Delta were streets ahead, 738, 739 and a 333 the rest of the way, good free entertainment (even on the domestic), charging for devices, in flight WIFI, more leg room.

Only thing AL had was better tea (dunno what Delta think tea is meant to taste like, but that wasn't it :)). Staff on both airlines were great, no issues, AL held back by antiquated planes.

EI-EWR seems to be doing the late FAO tonight! Maybe I've missed something but I thought the A330s only did the early Holiday flights?
    Anyone know why? Based on FlightRadar the turnaround in FAO was scheduled as an A320 but it seems an A330 has shown up tonight unexpectedly

• Advertisement

Locker10a wrote: »
    EI-EWR seems to be doing the late FAO tonight! Maybe I've missed something but I thought the A330s only did the early Holiday flights?
    Anyone know why? Based on FlightRadar the turnaround in FAO was scheduled as an A320 but it seems an A330 has shown up tonight unexpectedly

It appears to of been a late schedule change and I suspect the flight was heavily booked and then they got a load of cancelled FR LIS-DUB passegners booking flights from FAO before FR eventually scheduled a flight for 00.20 today. Previous flight when without them in LIS and EI had a flight at same time with a delay of just 2 hours because of a security strike. Avoid the bad PR of an overbooked flight...

The planned and altered FAO schedule was:

17.15-20.15-21.00-23.55 - A320

17.15-20.15-21.50-00.55 - A332

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement