Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2018 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 andrewkiely

G1raff3 wrote: »
    Yea i'll be there too, just got the mail a couple hours ago. Best of luck!

All the best to you too!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Smallboy

PCT the 22nd, all I’m nervous about is the Bleep but have been consistently hitting 8.0 and above with training. Hoping adrenaline helps on the day!

Would you guys suggest eating on the day? I usually intermittently fast while training but I’m thinking some light carbs would benefit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

Smallboy wrote: »
    PCT the 22nd, all I’m nervous about is the Bleep but have been consistently hitting 8.0 and above with training. Hoping adrenaline helps on the day!

Would you guys suggest eating on the day? I usually intermittently fast while training but I’m thinking some light carbs would benefit!

Eat! In fairness I was travelling, so ended up eating at 6 am like, but you aren't going to be running until 9.45-10am. I had a huge bowl of porridge and a banana about 20 mins before the beep test and I was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

I only hit my target twice on before the actual test for the PCT! And on the day I know I could have done way more.! A good tip I found is to control your breathing, in through the nose and out through an open mouth, you will be surpises how much that helps throughout the bleep.

I was in the last group so so it was well over an hour and I was starving going into the obstacle course. Plenty of fruit, small amount of carbs and an energy drink for the hour break. A good big breakfast in the morning because It won’t start for at least and hour and if you are in the last group it could be an hour and a half -two hours before you start at all. Porridge and fruit maybe and a strong coffee.
    And make sure you are well fueled with good food and plenty of water the day before.
    It goes without saying that a good 8 hours sleep will be so helpful the night before, not always possible with nerves.

Best of luck!!

Thanks everybody :)
    How obvious if you pass or fail on the day? Not to sound silly but if you fail I’d imagine they pull you to the side and say it.
    If you pass is it the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If you fail you'll know yourself, if you have 32 sit ups to do and you get 30...you'll know.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kellbag91

Definitely have a decent meal the day before pasta or potatoes. No need to cut calories it would just hurt your performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Jecz

Do you only get the call for the fitness test once security checks are back? My GP letter had to be back by March 1st and I have the local station meeting completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭5i6blrtngojxwf

Jecz wrote: »
    Do you only get the call for the fitness test once security checks are back? My GP letter had to be back by March 1st and I have the local station meeting completed.

Nope the fitness stuff seems to be done independently while vetting is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Hearns2017

No I hadn't got any of my local station interviews done and I got called for my fitness back on 22nd Feb there abouts. My gp letter had been in since beginning of Jan so expect a few weeks wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leheaven

I’ve my local interviews finished since Jan and still waiting for pct and medical. Lol.

I have my PCT this week and received an email stating my medical MAY be next week if I pass however I haven’t had anything in relation to a local station interview.
    Is this odd? It seems different and I know it varies from each individual but it seems so weird to get this far without meeting my local sergeant or Superintendent.

I have my PCT this week and received an email stating my medical MAY be next week if I pass however I haven’t had anything in relation to a local station interview.
    Is this odd? It seems different and I know it varies from each individual but it seems so weird to get this far without meeting my local sergeant or Superintendent.

How did you find the PCT?

How did you find the PCT?

Hey Andy, didn't have it yet. I have it this Friday! I think I'm prepared enough however. My only concern rn is the push-pull and that's based off of my height, I'm only 5'7 lmao

Hey Andy, didn't have it yet. I have it this Friday! I think I'm prepared enough however. My only concern rn is the push-pull and that's based off of my height, I'm only 5'7 lmao

Sorry I misread it! What app do you use for the beep test? I've two different ones and the times/levels are slightly different.
    I'm sure for the push/pull, if you have nailed everything else, adrenaline will get you over the line!

Sorry I misread it! What app do you use for the beep test? I've two different ones and the times/levels are slightly different.
    I'm sure for the push/pull, if you have nailed everything else, adrenaline will get you over the line!

I'm the exact same! I'm using two alternatives, one is easier than the other as they're slightly different. The app I use is called 'BT Lite' and it's the harder one. It took me a while to be able to reach 8.8.

The other I use is simply a YouTube Video someone linked here once and I was easily able to get past 9.0 on that one. They're slightly different

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mright123

Hey man, I'm 5'7 too and did the PCT last week and had no problems. When I went in to do the push-pull I was aware of what was required of me. The instructors/testers in the room along with me during the push/pull test said that short people and women have the most difficulty with it. They give you a test run beforehand so use the most of it. My advice to you is put everything on your balance and you'll fly it no problem. So use a Karate stance when doing the push pull and fully extend yourself at each beep back and forth. Literally, try and break that F'n machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Holeymoley11

Man you will have no problem with that at all. Give yourself a nice stance one foot in front of the other and its literally push till it stops and pull back you will surprise yourself how well you will get on in it adrenaline etc on the day! Good luck!!:)

mright123 wrote: »
    Hey man, I'm 5'7 too and did the PCT last week and had no problems. When I went in to do the push-pull I was aware of what was required of me. The instructors/testers in the room along with me during the push/pull test said that short people and women have the most difficulty with it. They give you a test run beforehand so use the most of it. My advice to you is put everything on your balance and you'll fly it no problem. So use a Karate stance when doing the push pull and fully extend yourself at each beep back and forth. Literally, try and break that F'n machine.

Can I ask did you use an app for training for the beep test? Seems to be slight difference in the ones I use! Just want to know which is most accurate!
    How did you find the PCT overall?

Can I ask did you use an app for training for the beep test? Seems to be slight difference in the ones I use! Just want to know which is most accurate!
    How did you find the PCT overall?

I did, I downloaded an app called 'Beep test' onto my phone from the app store. It had a plain green logo on it with an outlined white runner. It was a brilliant help preparing me for it. I found it straightforward as I had it well prepared. The best advice I can give you about the beep test is to be as relaxed as possible. The day of my PCT, the first group who went in and did the beep test failed it. We were watching them from the hallway windows. The reason why was they completely jumped the gun and were going way too fast and burned themselves out. You need to keep good breathing and timing for it.
    Break it down for yourself, example, Level 1 is 8 seconds per beep so focus on your breathing and timing. Breathe at the even numbers when counting in your head. Get your mind working with your lungs and focus on keeping relaxed breathing until level 6. This is where it picks up. I had to do 8.8, which was no problem for me as I had plenty of gas in the tank from breathing properly. Another big advance is to get stuck in and keep a good team mentality with your group. Motivate them and they'll do the same for you. Having someone motivate you and cheer you on when you need it does wonders for yourself. Any other questions don't be afriad to fire away.

• Advertisement

I did, I downloaded an app called 'Beep test' onto my phone from the app store. It had a plain green logo on it with an outlined white runner. It was a brilliant help preparing me for it. I found it straightforward as I had it well prepared. The best advice I can give you about the beep test is to be as relaxed as possible. The day of my PCT, the first group who went in and did the beep test failed it. We were watching them from the hallway windows. The reason why was they completely jumped the gun and were going way too fast and burned themselves out. You need to keep good breathing and timing for it.
    Break it down for yourself, example, Level 1 is 8 seconds per beep so focus on your breathing and timing. Breathe at the even numbers when counting in your head. Get your mind working with your lungs and focus on keeping relaxed breathing until level 6. This is where it picks up. I had to do 8.8, which was no problem for me as I had plenty of gas in the tank from breathing properly. Another big advance is to get stuck in and keep a good team mentality with your group. Motivate them and they'll do the same for you. Having someone motivate you and cheer you on when you need it does wonders for yourself. Any other questions don't be afriad to fire away.

Thats great advice. I need to get to 8.1 but I used a different app, so I must compare them. Push ups and sit ups went ok?? I am just about getting my push ups! HAd you long between the beep test and push ups/sit ups?

Thats great advice. I need to get to 8.1 but I used a different app, so I must compare them. Push ups and sit ups went ok?? I am just about getting my push ups! HAd you long between the beep test and push ups/sit ups?

I compared my app to this Youtube video and there's very little in the difference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0U_yQITBks
    Yes, they were fine, I had to do 35 situps in a min and got them done with 7-10 seconds to spare.
    Not going to lie, I was nervous for the pushups section. I had to do 25 and thankfully got them done no problem. I thought they'd want the US Marine Military style ones Where your chest would be nearly touching the floor and you would have to fully extend your elbows and lock it out when pressing up off the ground. Don't worry this isn't the case. They want to see your elbows match your shoulder blades during your reps. So you don't necessarily have to go down very far to the ground. This could differ with a tester if they are old school or not. Each candidate has their own tester who counts your reps (Same tester for press ups and situps). If you get some very strict person. Use your rest position as much as you want. Like do 5 press ups, go into the downward dog rest position for 30 seconds get your breath back do another 5 and repeat the cycle. If you have a person who isn't strict on form, blast out your press ups and get it over and done with because you have a 2-hour break afterward. I had around 12 mins rest between the beep test and the pushups and situps.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

I compared my app to this Youtube video and there's very little in the difference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0U_yQITBks
    Yes, they were fine, I had to do 35 situps in a min and got them done with 7-10 seconds to spare.
    Not going to lie, I was nervous for the pushups section. I had to do 25 and thankfully got them done no problem. I thought they'd want the US Marine Military style ones Where your chest would be nearly touching the floor and you would have to fully extend your elbows and lock it out when pressing up off the ground. Don't worry this isn't the case. They want to see your elbows match your shoulder blades during your reps. So you don't necessarily have to go down very far to the ground. This could differ with a tester if they are old school or not. Each candidate has their own tester who counts your reps (Same tester for press ups and situps). If you get some very strict person. Use your rest position as much as you want. Like do 5 press ups, go into the downward dog rest position for 30 seconds get your breath back do another 5 and repeat the cycle. If you have a person who isn't strict on form, blast out your press ups and get it over and done with because you have a 2-hour break afterward. I had around 12 mins rest between the beep test and the pushups and situps.

All good advice bar the downward dog - do that ie stick your arse up in the air breaking the line - and you're out. Can rest with arms extended and body in a straight line kind of like a plank.

Elliot192 wrote: »
    All good advice bar the downward dog - do that ie stick your arse up in the air breaking the line - and you're out. Can rest with arms extended and body in a straight line kind of like a plank.

I asked my tester this just after I finished the situps exercises and before doing the press ups section and I was told by them that this is fine to do. (It all depends on who you have as a tester).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf-Y9oQNYVQ
    I can't find the exact video I watched where I found that it said that this was allowed in most physical exams but this video shows the exact same movement which I'm talking about. As long as your not bending your knees or lifting your hands and feet off of the mat then you're fine.
    Now I couldn't think of a name to describe it earlier so I just write it down as the downward dog. (apologies for that.)
    I saw in other videos as well that the same rest position is permitted in the US and UK militaries entry physical exams.
    (As I said in the preceding post it really all depends on how strict your tester is on the form). I didn't even need to use it during the press ups as my adrenaline kicked in and I flew through them, but If that wasn't the case I got clarification on it beforehand and they said 'yep that's fine'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 robkell1234

How’s it going lads I was wondering is there much people in the same boat as me. I received my interview results at the start of December OOM mid 400s but I haven’t heard a thing since no GP form no meeting with my local gardai I rang recently and they didn’t give me much info I see a lot of people progressing nicely is there a reason to be worried I wonder thanks for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Did anyone who submitted their GP form for PCT-20th March cut off get a date for PCT today? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

How’s it going lads I was wondering is there much people in the same boat as me. I received my interview results at the start of December OOM mid 400s but I haven’t heard a thing since no GP form no meeting with my local gardai I rang recently and they didn’t give me much info I see a lot of people progressing nicely is there a reason to be worried I wonder thanks for any replies.

My daughter rang yesterday as she’s in same situation as you. They told her there were a lot of amendments to be done on form b and there was a pile of them being examined this week and that she should watch her email as will hear shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Nicolec3090

Does anybody know when the next intakes will be ? i still have my physical to do and i know i could be waiting ages but if all goes well i was wondering when I could end up in the collage as i also want to plan a holiday for later this year but dont want to waste the money if it could be soon

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Hot_Fuzz

Does anybody know when the next intakes will be ? i still have my physical to do and i know i could be waiting ages but if all goes well i was wondering when I could end up in the collage as i also want to plan a holiday for later this year but dont want to waste the money if it could be soon

April, July and December are announced for this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 robkell1234

Henry2006 wrote: »
    My daughter rang yesterday as she’s in same situation as you. They told her there were a lot of amendments to be done on form b and there was a pile of them being examined this week and that she should watch her email as will hear shortly

Just received my gp form now has to be signed by April 5th! Any luck for your daughter did she get one too ?? As for everyone else how long roughly was anyone waiting after they sent back the GP for a date for the fitness 4 or 5 weeks?

Advertisement