Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,073 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

dam099 wrote: »
    I think its the other way, he has laid the groundwork for a no vote i.e. "What Trump did was high crimes but the trial is unconstitutional so unfortunately I have to acquit him on a technicality."

Not to forget that the reason Trump's trial was after he was no longer president is because McConnell delayed the vote while he was President

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1359584571398922244?s=19

This is absolutely spot on.

Many moons ago on another thread, when Trump called the media the enemy of the people and pipe bombs were sent, many argued then that Trump "actually said" the *fake* media were the enemy of the people, that somehow that was different and therefore he wasn't responsible.

We argued that his supporters aren't going to make that differentiation and he should stop with this vitriolic language.

This whole event was on the cards for years.

Trump said outrageous stuff and his supporters parsed words and made excuses.

Let's be honest. If they had gotten Pelosi or Pence, it is highly likely that they would have been injured or worse.

The idea that there was a violent mob attacking the Capitol building while they were inside, having to be protected by police is bad enough mind you.

Then you have Trump's response or lack thereof.

All of it points to someone who, when he couldn't remain in power, despite being voted out, by democratic means, sought to extort, bribe, threaten and bully his way into winning - all against the will of the people who make that decision.

Then, when it was clear the gig was up, he said "**** you", to Congress, to the people who voted against him, to the U S as a whole and to those who appeared to cheer him on Jan 6th. He wound them up, and let them go and has left them twisting in the wind. Their lives ruined, while he hides away in Florida, playing pretend President.

An absolute joke of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Saw it mentioned on another forum but it goes to show how important it was to get Warnock and Ossof elected. If either lost and Mitch still had senate control, all of this evidence would've been buried

There is an element of comedy in relation to where all the new footage came from. It was primarily stuff that came from parler. The mix of arrogance and stupidity that gave those people the impression that it would not be used against them in the future. Great to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,303 ✭✭✭✭Penn

everlast75 wrote: »
    Not to forget that the reason Trump's trial was after he was no longer president is because McConnell delayed the vote while he was President

Trump's own lawyers were saying the impeachment is unconstitutional because he's no longer President, while also saying they should have waited longer to impeach because there's still investigations on-going.

Such nonsense....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

If Trump was even half as devious as McConnell he would probably be in his second term now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1359695883906998277?s=19

I've no words. If you gave them the chance, they would drive you insane with their bullsh!t..

I've no words. If you gave them the chance, they would drive you insane with their bullsh!t..

Lol.

The recounting of the facts is absurd, but inciting a riot is acceptable.

There isn't a place far enough away where he should **** off to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭randd1

Lol.

I'd love to know what Trump et al have on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

randd1 wrote: »
    I'd love to know what Trump et al have on him.

I thought that was obvious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Y'know, one of my favourite shows was The West Wing. I watched it as it was airing. Sure, it was unrealistically optimistic but it was enjoyable. The only criticism I had with the show was that, in general, the GOP was basically eeeeeevil. They practically had pointy mustaches that they would twirl (There were a few decent characters, especially the very likeable Arnie Vinnick in the last season who was actually initially intended to continue with the show before it was cancelled).

Anyway, that was my biggest criticism of the show. I have recently re-watched it (Finished only last week) and the way the GOP is acting now is 10 times worse than even the most stereotypical hateful GOP representation on the show. It's shocking how much it has descended into this caricature of what they once were.

I cannot understand this glee at "getting away with it" or this open-armed embracing of ignorance and rejection of science. Surely not EVERY member of the GOP is trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator.... Surely?

Lol.

Here is the full clip with the above quote.. it doesn't get any better!! Can't embed..

https://youtu.be/VhND_L6HKm0

Basically, there was no incitement in the speech on the 6th, even if there was the Proud Boys etc had already planned their violence ergo he still isn't guilty of incitement.

Here is the full clip with the above quote.. it doesn't get any better!! Can't embed..

https://youtu.be/VhND_L6HKm0

Basically, there was no incitement in the speech on the 6th, even if there was the Proud Boys etc had already planned their violence ergo he still isn't guilty of incitement.

The impeachment argument is "Looney Tunes"? I had no idea this woman was going to testify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

He was on one of the fox news shows last night trying to blame Pelosi.

The impeachment argument is "Looney Tunes"? I had no idea this woman was going to testify.

😂😂 Who thought you could try to overthrow a government based off a big lie and not get maxed!!!

Just on her looney status, I seen follow up posts about her, supposedly she wasn't even maced, she's holding a towel and in the towel there is "something" white, the suggestion is that it is an onion..

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    He was on one of the fox news shows last night trying to blame Pelosi.

Yeah, that's in the youtube link.. basically saying because the case put forward for everyone knowing there was gonna be trouble, well then so should Nancy ergo fault lays with her, but zero with Trump who we know helped with the changing of the protest plans so people could literally make there way to the Capitol, no cause and effect to be seen here move along down looney tunes Rd..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Many were positing that perhaps Trump may start his own party causing a split in the GOP!!

It’s happening but not as we thought...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/11/dozens-former-republican-officials-talks-form-anti-trump-party?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Dozens of former Republican officials who view the party as unwilling to stand up to Donald Trump and his attempts to undermine US democracy are in talks to form a centre-right breakaway party, four people involved in the discussions have said.

The early stage discussions include former elected Republicans, former officials in the Republican administrations of Ronald Reagan, George HW Bush, George W Bush and Trump, ex-Republican ambassadors and Republican strategists, the people involved told Reuters.

Donald Trump impeachment trial: what you need to know

More than 120 of them held a Zoom call last Friday to discuss the breakaway group, which would run on a platform of “principled conservatism”, including adherence to the constitution and the rule of law – ideas they say have been trashed by Trump.

***Using phone so hope the link shows proper***

• Registered Users Posts: 11,163 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Just watched episode one of the BBC's 'Trump takes on the world'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000s5zl/trump-takes-on-the-world-series-1-episode-1
    which was mentioned earlier in this thread, it's truly jaw-dropping stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

frag420 wrote: »
    Many were positing that perhaps Trump may start his own party causing a split in the GOP!!

It’s happening but not as we thought...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/11/dozens-former-republican-officials-talks-form-anti-trump-party?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Dozens of former Republican officials who view the party as unwilling to stand up to Donald Trump and his attempts to undermine US democracy are in talks to form a centre-right breakaway party, four people involved in the discussions have said.

The early stage discussions include former elected Republicans, former officials in the Republican administrations of Ronald Reagan, George HW Bush, George W Bush and Trump, ex-Republican ambassadors and Republican strategists, the people involved told Reuters.

Donald Trump impeachment trial: what you need to know

More than 120 of them held a Zoom call last Friday to discuss the breakaway group, which would run on a platform of “principled conservatism”, including adherence to the constitution and the rule of law – ideas they say have been trashed by Trump.

***Using phone so hope the link shows proper***

'Properly'

• Advertisement

"40 Percent of U.S. COVID Deaths Could Have Been Averted If It Weren't for Trump."

https://www.newsweek.com/40-percent-us-covid-deaths-could-have-been-averted-if-it-werent-trump-report-1568403
    Many of the cases and deaths were avoidable. Instead of galvanizing the US populace to fight the pandemic, President Trump publicly dismissed its threat (despite privately acknowledging it), discouraged action as infection spread, and eschewed international cooperation

The study itself.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32545-9/fulltext

Meanwhile, Trumpists in the Biden thread are complaining that Biden hasn't ended the pandemic yet and will put their fingers in their ears for this report.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,555 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I cannot understand this glee at "getting away with it" or this open-armed embracing of ignorance and rejection of science. Surely not EVERY member of the GOP is trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator.... Surely?

They're embracing ignorance and rejection of science because their base does. All they care about is themselves and getting elected, they have no character or substance. The pride that someone like Biden takes in public service is non-existent with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭francois

duploelabs wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000s5zl/trump-takes-on-the-world-series-1-episode-1

Was excellent-The man really is thick as 2 short planks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

"40 Percent of U.S. COVID Deaths Could Have Been Averted If It Weren't for Trump."

https://www.newsweek.com/40-percent-us-covid-deaths-could-have-been-averted-if-it-werent-trump-report-1568403

The study itself.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32545-9/fulltext

Meanwhile, Trumpists in the Biden thread are complaining that Biden hasn't ended the pandemic yet and will put their fingers in their ears for this report.

You must be forgetting Pelosi telling people to stop calling Covid the China virus and telling people to go down to Chinatown and hug people.
    I'm sure Democrat governers like Cuomo moving covid cases INTO old folks homes as a policy did nothing to contribute to death rates either.
    People seem to forget that the states individually manage their own policy on Covid.

conorhal wrote: »
    You must be forgetting Pelosi telling people to stop calling Covid the China virus and telling people to go down to Chinatown and hug people.

Got a source for Pelosi encouraging people to hug each other?
    I'm sure Democrat governers like Cuomo moving covid cases INTO old folks homes as a policy did nothing to contribute to death rates either.

Yes, he is also partly responsible for the rising Covid deaths in NYC and should be held accountable for it. But you cannot believe that he is responsible for more deaths in NYC without also believing that Trump is responsible for more deaths in American as a whole.
    People seem to forget that the states individually manage their own policy on Covid.

No, people are aware of that. If you believe that that sentence suggests Trump cannot be considered accountable for America's Covid response then that alone demonstrates that you did not read this study.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Source?

State's are responsible for their own response but that response can be and was hampered by the actions and inactions of Trump.

duploelabs wrote: »

The first 10 mins or so in that is pretty telling of how trump was viewed.. the analogy of "taking a lady to dance in a ballroom" and "what is this creature" in front of us..

Also, did anyone spot when he was on the white podium with trudeau? He didn't walk down the ramp, he completely steps off the thing.. Has he a problem/fear of ramps? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

...... Also, did anyone spot when he was on the white podium with trudeau? He didn't walk down the ramp, he completely steps off the thing.. Has he a problem/fear of ramps? Lol

It's his heel spurs.:) Y'know, that's what kept him from being a hero in Vietnam. That's why he can sh*t all over actual veterans. 'cos he's actually a hero.

Another one for the "swing and a miss" board folks...

• Advertisement

Advertisement