Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 02/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

jarvis wrote: »
    What time for Leinster / Meath?
    Not sure ,but if my snow dance is effective yous wont be getting any, yous have enough ya blackguards :D:D:D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Pangea wrote: »
    Wow was that in tallaght?
    edit: just googled firhouse :) Exceptional snow, how much is there over a foot and a half?

Snow coming well over the top of my 16-hole Docs in Firhouse while on the last stretch of the trek home. 2 hours on the 15 to get to the terminus (and fair play to the driver, the last stretch can't have been easy to drive) and about another half an hour walking through ever-deepening snow to get home. Pretty ridiculous stuff, never saw this much snow in this country, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Impressive (although not my work unfortunately)

15614417060851026881554.jpg
    15614417060851426891554.jpg
    15614417060851826901554.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

spockety wrote: »
    dsc0270resized.jpg

Pull up a chair! (in Firhouse)
    class pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

Managed to get a bus part of the way so coming thru Coolock
    Village now. Left dundrum at half four. What's more I've been told to be in work Tomo. I can't see that happening tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

KevIRL wrote: »

Amazing, are they still working on it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

KevIRL wrote: »

15614417060851826901554.jpg

In the good ole days that property would have gone for a few hundred thousand.....

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

will there be more snow in the next 24 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    best not to ask any more:(

I think being from Cork they don't want to talk to us sunbabe..........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Seems to have stopped here now.

It left this behind.........

dsc0069a0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

yeahimhere wrote: »
    Haven't been up there but I'm 2mins down the road on Stocking Avenue. They're higher than we are and we've nearly 2ft of snow and the roads haven't been plowed. Walking is fine with a good pair of shoes and be wrapped up. I wouldn't suggest driving.

Thanks!

They have sent me some picture messages and it looks incredible. It will be boots and ski trousers! The shopping list is fairly substantial. God only knows what people who live at 250m + in kilmashogue, cruagh etc are going to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Anyone remember the "big snow" of '82?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Auscast

I'm rather disappointed that here in Blainroe in Wicklow has only a light dusting of snow over the last week.
    Being an Aussie I was looking forward to a bug dump! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭msshono

Sleuthy wrote: »
    Does anyone know wear I can buy a pair of snowboots that won't cost the earth in Dublin city centre. Tried a good few shops today as Uggs are utterly useless for snow and don't fancy breaking my neck. Have seen loads of people wearing OK-looking ones but can't find a single pair anywhere. Suggestions?

Go to dunnes. they have flat black ones that are fur lined on inside and a few inches of fur on the top on the outside and 2 strap over buckles on the outside. Only €30/35 and theyre not bad looking at all. theyre grand so far in the snow, no leaking. But when the footpaths get really slippery i duno how good they'll be but then again there will be very few boots will be any good when it gets icy & slippery on the paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Cabra

The blood supply is under pressure because of the weather - if anyone can attend a clinic, there are special ones being organised for Sunday - check out www.giveblood.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

darkman2 wrote: »
    Right the snow is now gradually clearing off the East coast as winds go Northerly. As the winds go offshore it's going to get extremely cold and all this will freeze where it has thawed even slightly.

Tomorrow loooks good but there is a small chance that it could turn to rain toward the very end of the front. Only small though - I think for the midlands, north and east it will be snow right the way through the front. No thaw really tomorrow with the snow and very cold temperatures to be followed by another freezing night with just scattered rain and hail showers in the West and North.

Darkman, any hope of this huge front from the west either fizzling out befre it hits the east coast, or being snow? Don't want rain obviously would be nice to have more snow but freezig and clear would be good too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

darkman2 wrote: »
    In the good ole days that property would have gone for a few hundred thousand.....

But it would have been of much poorer quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Lovely snowfall in Dalkey. The streamer is now more south-bound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

crosstownk wrote: »
    Seems to have stopped here now.

It left this behind.........

dsc0069a0.jpg

Very generous of it - I had to buy my own garden furniture and swings for the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

any sign of more snow for the dublin 13/17 area?? im hoping for a yes!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Cabra wrote: »
    The blood supply is under pressure because of the weather - if anyone can attend a clinic, there are special ones being organised for Sunday - check out www.giveblood.ie

Would look pretty cool throwing bags of blood on the snow, would look like a massacre, or you could just give it to people that need it, both good options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

Brainy wrote: »
    Have you enquired if any of the supermarkets are still doing deliveries in that area?

My parents are elderly too but did manage to get a delivery from an on-line order today.

I don't live near them but a young couple across the road have called most days to see if they need anything. Community spirit lives on!
    Thanks but I think I will have to do the delivery myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Poly wrote: »
    Anyone remember the "big snow" of '82?
    I missed that one. Unfortunately I was gestating at the time.

My mother reckons this is as bad as '82. She recalled supermarkets rationing their supplies because deliveries couldn't get around - one loaf of bread per person and such. Obviously our transport infrastructure is (marginally) better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Anyone planning on pulling an allnighter to track the progress of that front coming in from the West? Will it be rain...will it be snow... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Seen a brazzer out on the corner earlier. I took her home and rogered her senseless. She's now wrapped under my silk sheets sipping on champagne. Do your bit and don't leave our working women out in the cold.
    What's that got to do with weather?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Auscast wrote: »
    I'm rather disappointed that here in Blainroe in Wicklow has only a light dusting of snow over the last week.
    Being an Aussie I was looking forward to a bug dump! :D

You need something I believe Australians call a 'dunny'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

Thanks!

They have sent me some picture messages and it looks incredible. It will be boots and ski trousers! The shopping list is fairly substantial. God only knows what people who live at 250m + in kilmashogue, cruagh etc are going to do

Making very imaginative meals consisting of baked beans and frozen veg, or whatever's been hanging about the back of the press for a year! :P

hmmm probably shouldn't really joke as some people are really badly affected :o

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Snow is like a willy, its measured in inches, cums when you least expect it and it never gets as deep as you'd like it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Anyone planning on pulling an allnighter to track the progress of that front coming in from the West? Will it be rain...will it be snow... :pac:

What time do you expect it to hit Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

tempted:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement