Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 02/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

teresminor wrote: »
    Rathgar is mad. It's still coming down and has shot up from 17cm yesterday to well over 30cm today, and it's still coming down heavily. I've no ruler big enough anymore. Just went out and it's almost up to my knees. Gorgeous snow too, just the right consistency.

Yeah, staying with friends in Rathgar. I've never seen snow like this. It was like a snow globe all day, pelting it down. Friend's car cannot be moved, it is dug into the snow. Snow just easing off this minute

Heard a guy on the radio at 4p.m saying "At least it's not as bad as yesterday in the city centre" Well, Rathgar is not that far from the city centre and it was way worse than yesterday.
    If this freezes we'll be in big trouble. with high drifts of snow everywhere, although it does not seem to be freezing yet

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Army taking nurses and ICU staff into work tonight.

Told staff to meet at local pub and then grabbed the lot and took them into work!

Some folks still haven't made it home from Dubs... spare a thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

Anybody would do the same thing, your not going to walk away and leave him fend for himself. He was suprisingly ok, but not much food left and zero fuel. Another day or 2 and he could have been in big trouble. Its one thing us Irish have that will never be taken from us, decency, we look after our own.

Well done you!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

Just topped 3foot here on kiltipper hill. Hasn't stopped all day 7 foot at sally gap and plenty of drifting snow around, this is epic.

Please check on any elderly people near by, i travelled a mile up the road earlier to a house i thought was abandoned for a while only to discover 87 year old Tom Murphy living there, i was his first visitor since the postman last Friday. Tonight Tom is in my living room wrapped up in front of the fire with a nice warm bed for the night, the logistics of getting supplies and fuel to him for heat was a nightmare, easier for him to come to mine. His daughter is picking him up tomorrow, she is coming up from Waterford and has been unable to contact him as no landline or mobile.

Please check guys it takes 5 minutes.

You Sir, are a gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Anybody would do the same thing, your not going to walk away and leave him fend for himself. He was suprisingly ok, but not much food left and zero fuel. Another day or 2 and he could have been in big trouble. Its one thing us Irish have that will never be taken from us, decency, we look after our own.

Your a hero, you've probably saved that mans life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Just topped 3foot here on kiltipper hill. Hasn't stopped all day 7 foot at sally gap and plenty of drifting snow around, this is epic.

Please check on any elderly people near by, i travelled a mile up the road earlier to a house i thought was abandoned for a while only to discover 87 year old Tom Murphy living there, i was his first visitor since the postman last Friday. Tonight Tom is in my living room wrapped up in front of the fire with a nice warm bed for the night, the logistics of getting supplies and fuel to him for heat was a nightmare, easier for him to come to mine. His daughter is picking him up tomorrow, she is coming up from Waterford and has been unable to contact him as no landline or mobile.

Fair play
    That's the sort of decency that we used to have and hopefully will have again. I hope Tom is enjoying the fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Temperature near Lucan is plunging, down to -3.5 as of this moment. Hasn't been much snow in awhile, although I really fear for some of the roads tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

Are we ever going to get snow in Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Cabra wrote: »
    _50265949_uk_snow_dundeeuni.jpg

You can actually see the 1 green patch where I live in Wicklow that's been relatively unaffected and now completely green. It's also the warmest part of the country and one of the few places where the temp is in the positive numbers. Boo Hoo! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

first signs of that front starting to show on the NE antrim coast...some interesting pop up showers on raintoday radar in the last hour...the one blowing up over Belfast looks like it might migrate southwards over the coming few hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

well done that man..

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

In case you missed it earlier, go look at this now!:

http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Andreafar

spockety wrote: »
    Amazing. I tried reading your post out to my Mrs but I choked at "wrapped up in front of the fire" and could not continue to read it out.

So sad because makes you realise how many more elderly aren't sitting wrapped up by the fire :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I made this earlier:D:D

optimus_prime_02.jpg

just kidding-I wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

On amiens street halfway home on the walk from dundrum to santry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

Still chucking it down in Stillorgan :D:D:D

Soooooooo pretty!<3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭oompaloompa

I'm not sitting by fire either.. I've no heating, no running water and it's soooooo cold :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

zerks wrote: »
    I made this earlier:D:D

optimus_prime_02.jpg

just kidding-I wish.

something like I made earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Shamanic wrote: »

Sorry to hear this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Ali Babba wrote: »
    Are we ever going to get snow in Cork?

best not to ask any more:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

Can anyone in the know be able to tell me if NW Wales will get a helping of snow based on this?
    http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop

Since the wind was NE all week, streamers were developing over the Irish Sea and heading to Dublin. But now that the wind is NW will the streamers be developing over the sea and making landfall in Wales? :confused:

Cheers in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

My parents have not left their house since Saturday. They are beginning to run out of supplies. Anyone know what it is like in the Rockbrook, Mount Venus Road area? I am going to walk up with supplies from Ballinteer? No panic yet but I would like to get an idea as to what conditions I will face.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Cabra

Sorry to hear this.....

Be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Betty-ireland

Fair play to ya, if only there were more people like you out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Army taking nurses and ICU staff into work tonight.

Told staff to meet at local pub and then grabbed the lot and took them into work!

Some folks still haven't made it home from Dubs... spare a thought...

Hi MilanPan,

Is this just for tonights staff? Wife is nurse due back in early tomorrow and was just talking to her as shes staying in her Mam & Dads in Tempelouge as to far to be travelling from Celbridge but it is so bad over there all day she wont prob be able to drive. Working in Tallaght Hosp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Andreafar

Shamanic wrote: »

So sorry to hear this....that is absolutely dreadful....maybe stop a garda....ask for help.....no way could they leave you in these conditions :(

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

I'm not sitting by fire either.. I've no heating, no running water and it's soooooo cold :(

Where are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭cson

In other words; "Rescue Me pokerface_me!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Snow depths here are at bonnet level now:eek::D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

Can you go and stay with someone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement