Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 02/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

In 82 it was up to my 4 year old shoulders in Glasnevin, how deep is it in Glasnevin now?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭cancercowboy

One word people: Superser.

That thing is amazing. Got it here in the living room and we're all tosty. They're cheap and run on butane. Ace.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

Mr. Cool in Trim!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Poly wrote: »
    Anyone remember the "big snow" of '82?

Yeah, I seem to remember much more snow and bigger snow drifts

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

Nicki123 wrote: »
    Hurrah - just received word that there's a new baby in our family. Born in the Big Snow of 2010 - what a claim to fame :)

Congrates.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

sdonn wrote: »
    Darkman, any hope of this huge front from the west either fizzling out befre it hits the east coast, or being snow? Don't want rain obviously would be nice to have more snow but freezig and clear would be good too :P

Yes it will be snow for most. I don't think it will fizzle out all that much. The models keep it fairly active throughout. Also given the lying snow and feezing ground even persistent light snow tomorrow would give appreciable amounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

No snow in D13 now for about an hour now.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭_whiskers

Anyone planning on pulling an allnighter to track the progress of that front coming in from the West? Will it be rain...will it be snow... :pac:

*raises hand* I will!...Try:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

PoolDude wrote: »
    Yeah, I seem to remember much more snow and bigger snow drifts

Yea 6ft was standard sh!t in 82

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

alanajane wrote: »
    Mr. Cool in Trim!
    You'd think Cowen would have more to do than to loll around partying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

gleep wrote: »
    Since this snow started, I can't get my girlfriend away from the window.

If it gets any worse, I'll have to let her in

That joke was done on the 01/12/2010 thread yesterday. And it was pointed out it originated from Jimmy Carrs twitter or something like that. Will we get it tomorrow too :p ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Ah 82, now that was real snow..... up to me waste it was.........mind you I was only 3 foot tall at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

Yup have to agree '82 was worse, I remember milkman have to stop at top of our road and walk rest of way with our delivery, today it dodgy but can be driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

looking at the raintoday radar it looks like d streamer to the south is staying out to sea:(

Do you think the streamer over dublin now will give snow to arklow:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

bryaner wrote: »

Yeah we'll just have to make do with our two foot of snow in 2010

user417pic401291321702.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

DWCommuter wrote: »
    This is nothing like '82.

True, back then we had Bucks Fizz to help us through the freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

bryaner wrote: »

Correct, there was 10+ foot in the Glen of the Downs. Many places were cut off completely for a couple of weeks. Long way to go yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

smokin ace wrote: »
    why do people think the front coming from the west will bring snow

It could bring up to 4 inches of snow and unlike showers it is a band of precipitation that will cover the entire country. Some areas though could have rain or sleet instead of snow, thats what makes it interesting. Could be horrible or it could be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Someone said most pubs in the South Dublin area are closed, is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

:( no snow in D15 area for a good few hours, had a few flakes but not enough to wet a tissue, plenty of clouds but a few scattered clouds as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

When can we expect the front from the west to reach us

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

ThisRegard wrote: »
    That joke was done on the 01/12/2010 thread yesterday. And it was pointed out it originated from Jimmy Carrs twitter or something like that. Will we get it tomorrow too :p ?

Why not, if it gets a laugh:D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

glossy wrote: »
    :( no snow in D15 area for a good few hours, had a few flakes but not enough to wet a tissue, plenty of clouds but a few scattered clouds as well

Wind seems to have turned too northerly for the streamers to affect us in D15 now unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

errlloyd wrote: »
    Someone said most pubs in the South Dublin area are closed, is this true?

which area?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Clear here in D12. Been like this for a while. Large gap in the cloud. Can see a line of solid cloud ahead. Hopefully that brings snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

5starpool wrote: »
    Wind seems to have turned too northerly for the streamers to affect us in D15 now unfortunately.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Girrrrseach

del88 wrote: »
    They should call him/her....THUNDERSNOW

Baby Grauple could be an option...! Seeing as most of us learnt that word from this thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

Mech1 wrote: »
    Last year we had a separate thread where people with suitable transport offered their services to other people who where in need, free of charge. Any chance we can get that thread restarted? There seems to be a need for it after reading the last few pages.

Thanks.

I'm not gonna start this thread because I personally am almost snowed in!!!
    The trusty vw golf diesel (94) has got me outta knocklyon, Firhouse and across the M50 to my work in Monkstown Dunlaoire everyday this week, but my boss is on standby to tow me out of the estate with the Range Rover in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

It could bring up to 4 inches of snow and unlike showers it is a band of precipitation that will cover the entire country. Some areas though could have rain or sleet instead of snow, thats what makes it interesting. Could be horrible or it could be fantastic.

with such a cold front over us now why would it fall as sleet or rain or is it bringing in a slightly warmer front with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

Would it be safe to say meath should get snow from it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement