Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 02/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Plasmoid

No sign of the Luas running. Its every one for themselves.

People walking home outbound across the M50 luas bridge at Central Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Cabra

Sonovagun wrote: »
    You can see the band of cloud here to the north west!

http://www.sat24.com/gb

Dont like the look of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 notmyrealname

Evey bit of land we have is covered

And all the cattle had to be taken off!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Confab wrote: »
    Sky in Dublin is taking on that eerie orange glow again.

Those newsreaders and their fake tan eh:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

jimmynokia wrote: »
    looks like its stopped altogether:mad:

I hope so, I'm sick of it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Donegal County Council says people should stay indoors tonight
    http://oceanfm.ie/news/2010/12/02/donegal-county-council-says-people-should-stay-indoors-tonight/

Ocean fm said earlier there could be up to 6 inches.
    Hmm still not sure if im gona get rain or snow yet, met eireanns forecast said it would be rain on the coast while the radio stations are saying the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Holy **** Mongo, that's too cruel! Looking at the swing on that, it looks like it is going to come down over the whole country, any chance it will fall as snow?!?!? :eek::eek::eek:

I take it you didn't see the TV forecast then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

Just topped 3foot here on kiltipper hill. Hasn't stopped all day 7 foot at sally gap and plenty of drifting snow around, this is epic.

Please check on any elderly people near by, i travelled a mile up the road earlier to a house i thought was abandoned for a while only to discover 87 year old Tom Murphy living there, i was his first visitor since the postman last Friday. Tonight Tom is in my living room wrapped up in front of the fire with a nice warm bed for the night, the logistics of getting supplies and fuel to him for heat was a nightmare, easier for him to come to mine. His daughter is picking him up tomorrow, she is coming up from Waterford and has been unable to contact him as no landline or mobile.

Please check guys it takes 5 minutes.

well done - that's really great of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭mista_2k10

Sonovagun wrote: »
    You can see the band of cloud here to the north west!

http://www.sat24.com/gb
    Does that mean snow for mayo????:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Really heavy snowfall in the Dun Laoghaire area:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Please check on any elderly people near by, i travelled a mile up the road earlier to a house i thought was abandoned for a while only to discover 87 year old Tom Murphy living there, i was his first visitor since the postman last Friday. Tonight Tom is in my living room wrapped up in front of the fire .

This actually brought a tear to my eye, and no, I am not being sarcastic. totally serious.

Well done pokerface_me

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭joe199

Pangea wrote: »
    Donegal County Council says people should stay indoors tonight
    http://oceanfm.ie/news/2010/12/02/donegal-county-council-says-people-should-stay-indoors-tonight/

Ocean fm said earlier there could be up to 6 inches.
    Hmm still not sure if im gona get rain or snow yet, met eireanns forecast said it would be rain on the coast while the radio stations are saying the opposite.

what times the bank of cloud to hit the northwest at? things are gonna get hairy if this is snow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Danbo! wrote: »
    Please Please Please be rain!!

You really really really don't want it to be freezing rain mate. If you think this level of disruption is bad imagine how bad freezing rain on top of several inches of snow would be. At least with snow we can dig our way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

No Snow in Swords for the first extended period since 10am, what chance more on the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

One more big snow fest would be welcome tomorrow but after that i'd like it to piss off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Just posted some photos over in the 'Weather Pics' forum..

HERE

Kilkenny City outskirts..

Temperature: Current -3.6 °C High -0.5 °C Low -4.8 °C
    Dew Point: Current -5.0 °C High -2.4 °C Low -5.1 °C

Going to be a cold one. Will get up at 4am and put the washing machine on and it'll hopefully keep the water flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Cabra

_50265949_uk_snow_dundeeuni.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Fog snow insane...

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Really heavy snowfall in the Dun Laoghaire area now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Danbo! wrote: »
    Please Please Please be rain!!

feck off with your rain dance. there's enough bloody rain in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Right the snow is now gradually clearing off the East coast as winds go Northerly. As the winds go offshore it's going to get extremely cold and all this will freeze where it has thawed even slightly.

Tomorrow loooks good but there is a small chance that it could turn to rain toward the very end of the front. Only small though - I think for the midlands, north and east it will be snow right the way through the front. No thaw really tomorrow with the snow and very cold temperatures to be followed by another freezing night with just scattered rain and hail showers in the West and North.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

From the BBC -amazing satelite photo
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11901718

oops beaten to it by cabra sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

joe199 wrote: »
    what times the bank of cloud to hit the northwest at? things are gonna get hairy if this is snow :D
    :D
    They say midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

This actually brought a tear to my eye, and no, I am not being sarcastic. totally serious.

Well done pokerface_me

Anybody would do the same thing, your not going to walk away and leave him fend for himself. He was suprisingly ok, but not much food left and zero fuel. Another day or 2 and he could have been in big trouble. Its one thing us Irish have that will never be taken from us, decency, we look after our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭shaddupayaface

Well done pokerface_me

I agree, It's great to see Community Spirit is alive and well!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Just topped 3foot here on kiltipper hill. Hasn't stopped all day 7 foot at sally gap and plenty of drifting snow around, this is epic.

Please check on any elderly people near by, i travelled a mile up the road earlier to a house i thought was abandoned for a while only to discover 87 year old Tom Murphy living there, i was his first visitor since the postman last Friday. Tonight Tom is in my living room wrapped up in front of the fire with a nice warm bed for the night, the logistics of getting supplies and fuel to him for heat was a nightmare, easier for him to come to mine. His daughter is picking him up tomorrow, she is coming up from Waterford and has been unable to contact him as no landline or mobile.

Amazing. I tried reading your post out to my Mrs but I choked at "wrapped up in front of the fire" and could not continue to read it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Eire celticbhoy

Will galway see snow tonight ???

• Registered Users Posts: 24 réaltóg

I've never seen anything like the conditions we have in Drumcondra tonight. Just stopped snowing. Snow is kerb height on our road which makes for crappy walking!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Anybody would do the same thing, your not going to walk away and leave him fend for himself. He was suprisingly ok, but not much food left and zero fuel. Another day or 2 and he could have been in big trouble. Its one thing us Irish have that will never be taken from us, decency, we look after our own.

Please check on any elderly people near by, i travelled a mile up the road earlier to a house i thought was abandoned for a while only to discover 87 year old Tom Murphy living there, i was his first visitor since the postman last Friday. Tonight Tom is in my living room wrapped up in front of the fire with a nice warm bed for the night, the logistics of getting supplies and fuel to him for heat was a nightmare, easier for him to come to mine. His daughter is
    picking him up tomorrow, she is coming up from Waterford and has been unable to contact him as no landline or mobile.

Legend of the Boards status awaits :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

darkman2 wrote: »
    Right the snow is now gradually clearing off the East coast as winds go Northerly. As the winds go offshore it's going to get extremely cold and all this will freeze where it has thawed even slightly.

Tomorrow loooks good but there is a small chance that it could turn to rain toward the very end of the front. Only small though - I think for the midlands, north and east it will be snow right the way through the front. No thaw really tomorrow with the snow and very cold temperatures to be followed by another freezing night with just scattered rain and hail showers in the West and North.

how many inches do you thing we can expect from this next front darkman2?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement