Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Limerick have JP, different story altogether. KK are in a different stratosphere in terms of organisation etc to us. Success breeds success and all that.

When was the last time Bruce Springsteen played Breffni Park? These are white elephant visions you're throwing out. Soundbytes. We need money, yes. We need organisation of championships, yes. We need coherent planning and strategy for the future, yes. What we don't need is a PUC debacle like in Cork. Our support base isn't there lad. Just look though the spite of the last few pages on here.

Clubs are in enough bother trying to develop & deliver their own facilities and plans , not to mind help finance the county board do theirs.

I agree, we don’t need a 30k seater stadium fresh out the box in carriganore, but we need to do something beyond papering over more cracks.

I don’t accept the concert white elephant line, all together now was a roaring success last year. A one day big band gig every 2-3 years is plenty & should be achievable - constantly dismissing something as not possible when there are 2 live examples atn & day tripper of how they work currently is more a white elephant to me.

We are behind in 2 areas - games / structures & actual infrastructure & i have a massive question mark over our coaching and games / development squad approach - that’s my opinion if someone can convince me we are the best in class in any of those, fair enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

What about the other 87.5% of what Iv said? Similar sized in terms of population, club size and aspirations.

Well you had already excluded Limerick yourself so now you are down to a list of 6 counties and to be honest I have no idea what point you are trying to make?

There are also a fair few outliers in the remaining 6 regarding similar population size!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Clubs are in enough bother trying to develop & deliver their own facilities and plans , not to mind help finance the county board do theirs.

I agree, we don’t need a 30k seater stadium fresh out the box in carriganore, but we need to do something beyond papering over more cracks.

I don’t accept the concert white elephant line, all together now was a roaring success last year. A one day big band gig every 2-3 years is plenty & should be achievable - constantly dismissing something as not possible when there are 2 live examples atn & day tripper of how they work currently is more a white elephant to me.

We are behind in 2 areas - games / structures & actual infrastructure & i have a massive question mark over our coaching and games / development squad approach - that’s my opinion if someone can convince me we are the best in class in any of those, fair enough

You want Waterford GAA to run an ATN style gig??? ATN being run by the same crowd running Electric Picnic...get a hauld of yourself lad!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I thought you too were meeting up for coffee? Seem to be happier moaning on here.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Well you had already excluded Limerick yourself so now you are down to a list of 6 counties and to be honest I have no idea what point you are trying to make?

There are also a fair few outliers in the remaining 6 regarding similar population size!

Excluded limerick as they won all ire last year.

The point I’m making is relatively speaking, factoring in everything, we are way way off where we should be & what we should have to show for the last decade or two.

How is it possible the year we get to an all Ireland final 2017 we take in almost half of what Cavan, donegal, Monaghan & Derry by way of commercial revenue for eg.

Or if you want to talk about hurling counties- a quarter of what cork, half of tipp limerick & kk, almost 65k less then Wex - in this regard we are close to clare and Offaly then we are the top end of table, in a year we got to an all Ireland final! Our second in best part of 50 years.

Money makes the world go around, it gives you better prepared teams & a better chance of success, that is surely indisputable?

It’s no coincidence the best organised counties off the pitch are doing the best on it.

That’s the point I’m trying to make, we are already behind & the gap is getting wider.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I thought you too were meeting up for coffee? Seem to be happier moaning on here.

Two Jeff...check your spelling/grammar before getting on your high horse

You want Waterford GAA to run an ATN style gig??? ATN being run by the same crowd running Electric Picnic...get a hauld of yourself lad!!!!

I promise this is my last post on this;

If Ed Sheehan can play in pearse stadium, PUC, Gaelic grounds, Croke Park

If Bruce Springsteen can play PUC, Nowlan Park, Gaelic grounds, Rds

If Rod Stewart can play PUC, Nowlan park

If Bob Dylan & Neil young can play Nowlan Park

If Liam Gallagher can play musgrave park

If all the above has happened & will happen?

Then why can Waterford not have a slice of that pie? Cos we are pisers & moaners & just discredit everything and say ah such and such is a white elephant because that in itself is a soundbyte.

These things can be done, should be done & if I ever got an opportunity would be done. One of them alone is worth about 10 of the Kube events.

I promise this is my last post on this;

If Ed Sheehan can play in pearse stadium, PUC, Gaelic grounds, Croke Park

If Bruce Springsteen can play PUC, Nowlan Park, Gaelic grounds, Rds

If Rod Stewart can play PUC, Nowlan park

If Bob Dylan & Neil young can play Nowlan Park

If Liam Gallagher can play musgrave park

If all the above has happened & will happen?

Then why can Waterford not have a slice of that pie? Cos we are pisers & moaners & just discredit everything and say ah such and such is a white elephant because that in itself is a soundbyte.

These things can be done, should be done & if I ever got an opportunity would be done. One of them alone is worth about 10 of the Kube events.

Fraher, Walsh Park or Mellary lad???

Show some ambition - all 3 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Breaking news....Rod Stewart, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Liam Gallagher to be included in Waterford squad for upcoming match v Limerick.

Paraic Fanning to be replaced by Jim Aiken.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Did ye not have Jedward there a few years ago!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Ed Sheehan can't make it but might be available for Cork match.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Well if they can get Mary to appear in Mellery, surely they can get Bruce Springsteen??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

Any hope of getting back to actual GAA talk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Any hope of getting back to actual GAA talk?
    This is more entertaining than the match last Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

deiseach wrote: »

Conor Gleeson got booked for less :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

deiseach wrote: »

Maybe, but the match only lasted 75 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,886 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

No concerts allowed at the redeveloped Walsh Park

Tbh stupid decision

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think what we have here is the typical response to a bad run of results, which is that the structures could be better, and the county board could be doing better.

My sense of things are that the county board could definitely be doing better, and could benefit from a lot of fresh energy - but there is a permanent Catch 22 where the existing guys hardly want to give up their seats at the table, and people on the outside don't really know how to put themselves forward.

I think the County Board have a limited amount of energy, skills and time to do strategic projects, and the stadium will probably soak up a lot of this over the next couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Conor Gleeson got booked for less :D

Conor Gleeson was warned on 4 separate occasions before the first yellow, I was sitting directly across the line from the Waterford full back line, he began the game marking Bubbles and was cleaned the first three balls that went in, after the third one he shouldered Bubbles into the chest after the ball was already gone over the bar - at this point Waterford moved him on to Callanan and the two of them started at it, they were warned twice by the ref and again by the umpires. The yellow was absolutely merited and the incident highlighted on tv had nothing to do with it.

Even if it was harsh, and it absolutely wasn't the next ball that came to Callanan, Gleeson came through the back of him late and hard, which went unpunished, it was obvious at this stage that he had lost his head and the rugby tackle on Bonner when he had done all the hard work was beyond stupid - that added to the fact that if there was one Tipp forward you would pick as the opposition to be in that position it would be Bonner. Gleeson left his team mates down and not the referee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dammo

Has a management consultancy review from an outside agency ever happened?
    The dogs in the street know that having two regional boards within a county of the size is crazy.

Surely a fresh pair of eyes would offer some blueprint for meaningful change. The one thing the majority seem to agree on is that meaningful change is desirable?

Before that kicks in, get in a reputable sports psychologist because our players appear to have the resilience of a 12 year old girl whose boyfriend dumped her on the day her favourite boy band broke up!

Dammo wrote: »
    The dogs in the street know that having two regional boards within a county of the size is crazy.

Surely a fresh pair of eyes would offer some blueprint for meaningful change. The one thing the majority seem to agree on is that meaningful change is desirable?

Before that kicks in, get in a reputable sports psychologist because our players appear to have the resilience of a 12 year old girl who’s boyfriend dumped her on the day her favourite boy ban broke up!

Our outstanding Waterford county mgr / ceo did a review / report a number of years ago on abolishing divisional boards.

The divisional board officers / county board rallied the troops & the notion dismissed out of hand.

When will we get some real leadership from these guys? Can they not see the need for change? It’s like some circle of hell, damned to failure by repeating the same old same old year after year.

Why couldn’t Waterford make a pile of money from concerts the way KK do? Depressing reading this thread.

When will we get some real leadership from these guys? Can they not see the need for change? It’s like some circle of hell, damned to failure by repeating the same old same old year after year.

Why couldn’t Waterford make a pile of money from concerts the way KK do? Depressing reading this thread.

Have you been in our county grounds recently? There's your answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

People are obsessed with concerts on this thread. Lack of concerts is not what is holding back Waterford GAA

Isn’t Walsh Park being renovated? I know someone said there are no concerts allowed but why not? If it’s a planning issue then why not sell WP and build a new 15k ground that could hold a concert?

Apologies if this has been done to death on here but where’s the vision / long term strategy?

People are obsessed with concerts on this thread. Lack of concerts is not what is holding back Waterford GAA

The concert thing is one small example of missed opportunities that seem to be beyond the scope of those charged with leading the whole setup.

Apologies for dragging the thread away from the match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Because there is a finite number of big artists who could/would come to Waterford to play big concerts. Springsteen/Bob Dylan Rod Stewart and a few others who play Ireland regularly but you would be in competition with other cities/venues for these gigs aswell. So yearly big concerts there is no guarantee. You go a step above and bands like Rolling stones/U2/Pink Floyd would only play big stadiums such as the Aviva or Croker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭914

My oh my. Can't believe we're back to the whole Walsh Park and concerts.

Done and dusted, with the way we are performing our attendances will be on par with county finals!

Didn’t meant to bring up the concert debacle, was one of about 3 broader issues, like Kilkenny one every few years would suffice. It isn’t going to be a magic bullet....

I’m sure there must be a connection with the 3 Arena , Three & various promoters given the years sponsoring county teams they gave assuming the relationship with co board is still a good one.......!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Didn’t meant to bring up the concert debacle, was one of about 3 broader issues, like Kilkenny one every few years would suffice. It isn’t going to be a magic bullet....

I’m sure there must be a connection with the 3 Arena , Three & various promoters given the years sponsoring county teams they gave assuming the relationship with co board is still a good one.......!

3 Arena and Three have absolutely nothing to do with getting acts. The acts are booked through promoters so your far fetched idea would be laughed out of it considering Walsh Park would effectively be in direct competition with the 3 Arena as a venue.

Wouldn’t say it’s that far fetched at all....

Please Note, a training trial for Waterford U-20 Football squad will be held this Thursday evening (May 23rd) @ Brickey Rangers GAA Grounds, Bushy Park @ 7:45 pm (all attending players to be there for 7:30 pm)

All players born in 1999, 2000, and 2001 are welcome to attend and we're encouraging clubs to please spread the word, Adult club Secretaries to forward names of players who are interested to Gavin Whelan via e-mail at gavinjwhelan@gmail.com before 12 Noon on Thursday.....

Because there is a finite number of big artists who could/would come to Waterford to play big concerts. Springsteen/Bob Dylan Rod Stewart and a few others who play Ireland regularly but you would be in competition with other cities/venues for these gigs aswell. So yearly big concerts there is no guarantee. You go a step above and bands like Rolling stones/U2/Pink Floyd would only play big stadiums such as the Aviva or Croker.

Just annoying how Kilkenny gets major gigs and a city like ourselves dont. Anyway what can we do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Please Note, a training trial for Waterford U-20 Football squad will be held this Thursday evening (May 23rd) @ Brickey Rangers GAA Grounds, Bushy Park @ 7:45 pm (all attending players to be there for 7:30 pm)

All players born in 1999, 2000, and 2001 are welcome to attend and we're encouraging clubs to please spread the word, Adult club Secretaries to forward names of players who are interested to Gavin Whelan via e-mail at gavinjwhelan@gmail.com before 12 Noon on Thursday.....

I hope clubs had more than two days notice!

Also a Thursday night is pretty awkward for a lot of lads unless they've had a couple of weeks notice.

Good to see the boys putting the shoulder to the wheel for the U20 football. The minors did better than expected given their stuttering preparation. Hopefully the U20 perform with credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Maybe you could sell some of that jam you are always waffling on about to raise funds for the Co. Board. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

any kind of decent ball into the forward line and we have serious ball winners .two Bennets are brilliant .Shane in particular is probably the hardest working forward in the game ,he was murdered under Mc Grath and looking like a fall guy now. Stephen most have the best touch of all the Waterford players ,but again overworked. Maurice is deadly and
    battled extremely hard the entire half. Four if not five against two if you count the tipp goalie .yep our midfield and backs are solid .what is it exactly we've conceded in two games .maybe blame that on the forwards as well

Serious ball winners? What matches have you been watching?
    so according to you none of the above are ball winners if thats the case there is a case that all bar about 2 or 3 in the whole team that is .Barron and Connors being two .

any kind of decent ball into the forward line and we have serious ball winners .two Bennets are brilliant .Shane in particular is probably the hardest working forward in the game ,he was murdered under Mc Grath and looking like a fall guy now. Stephen most have the best touch of all the Waterford players ,but again overworked. Maurice is deadly and
    battled extremely hard the entire half. Four if not five against two if you count the tipp goalie .yep our midfield and backs are solid .what is it exactly we've conceded in two games .maybe blame that on the forwards as well

Serious ball winners? What matches have you been watching?
    so according to you none of the above are ball winners if thats the case there is a case that all bar about 2 or 3 in the whole team that is .Barron and Connors being two .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

I’d say totally far fetched. Our biggest problem is not getting the right people and structures involved in fundraising. 16k stadium is ideal for us. We couldn’t fill Walsh park for Clare game. We can’t think out of the box like other counties unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

Connors is a corner back?😂

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Just annoying how Kilkenny gets major gigs and a city like ourselves dont. Anyway what can we do

All Together Now?
    Day Tripper?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

Whats the story with all the concerts? Jayus lads. The soccer clubs in most of the county leave the Gaa clubs in the hay penny place.

Just ask them what they're doing.

Mulbert wrote: »
    Whats the story with all the concerts? Jayus lads. The soccer clubs in most of the county leave the Gaa clubs in the hay penny place.

Just ask them what they're doing.

Aye, RSC is more than capable of holding concerts, fathless and 50cent once and that was it (and day tripper I think)

If concerts were plentiful I reckon we would see far more held in the RSC

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

Good point, but im talking about the Junior League and all the clubs.

• Advertisement

Connors is a corner back?😂
    ****i$#g Sherlock Holmes .I know Connors is a corner back .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Warning

There have been several posts attacking the poster as opposed to the post in recent days.

It is not acceptable to address a fellow poster as a numpty etc.

Please keep discussion civil.Otherwise cards will be issued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Keyboard warrior Spatters...thesaturdayman thinks playing a bit of junior football or camogie gives him the right to spout away on here.
    I do more for my club and it’s members from Grassroots to Senior then more then any on here. Might talk a bit, but I back it up & put my money where my mouth is.

16 years playing adult football senior & junior & 10+ years as a club officer, if Im a keyboard warrior then I’m a Shaolin monk too.

And what have gualtier won in that time?
    Despite having such a massive pick.
    Your club needs a shake up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

A few years ago the GAA required all county boards to engage an outside consultant to produce a strategic development plan. The Chief Executive of Waterford City and County Council and former Waterford hurler, Michael Walsh, prepared the plan for Waterford. It was an excellent document which pointed out the many organisational deficiences of the GAA in Waterford and made a long list of recommendations for change in organisational structures and practices, including the abolition of the divisional boards. It also called for an overhaul of competitive structures with an emphasis on proper league structures. As far as I am aware the report was never published or placed before the county board for a detailed discussion. This is not surprising, given the litany of failings of the county board listed in the report and the major upheaval which implementation would have involved. However, GAA headquarters should have insisted on the report being published so that at least it could have given rise to some public discussion. This shows just how hard it is to achieve any kind of significant change in what is a highly dysfunctional organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Good to see the boys putting the shoulder to the wheel for the U20 football. The minors did better than expected given their stuttering preparation. Hopefully the U20 perform with credit.

Beginning trials, with 2 days notice, 6 weeks out from the first championship game is your idea of boys putting the shoulder to the wheel?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement