Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Ian OB

A throwback to happier, more simple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Ian OB

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Spatters wrote: »
    Not sure you know what you’re talking about butty. One minute you’re all about the CB snd thr nxt minute you’re having a go. Get off the fence

Keyboard warrior Spatters...thesaturdayman thinks playing a bit of junior football or camogie gives him the right to spout away on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Keyboard warrior Spatters...thesaturdayman thinks playing a bit of junior football or camogie gives him the right to spout away on here.

Your getting personal now, I’m only stating facts. I do more for my club and it’s members from Grassroots to Senior then more then any on here. Might talk a bit, but I back it up & put my money where my mouth is.

16 years playing adult football senior & junior & 10+ years as a club officer, if Im a keyboard warrior then I’m a Shaolin monk too.

At no point am I about the cb they same fellas been there for 25 years - career Gaa administers & what has Waterford to show for it?

Some lad comes on sets up an account and his sole post is a dig at me. Sad pirck.

If you have a problem with me give me a call - pair of siht houses - I’ll send on my number if you don’t have it

Your getting personal now, I’m only stating facts. I do more for my club and it’s members from Grassroots to Senior then more then any on here. Might talk a bit, but I back it up & put my money where my mouth is.

16 years playing adult football senior & junior & 10+ years as a club officer, if Im a keyboard warrior then I’m a Shaolin monk too.

At no point am I about the cb they same fellas been there for 25 years - career Gaa administers & what has Waterford to show for it?

Some lad comes on sets up an account and his sole post is a dig at me. Sad pirck.

If you have a problem with me give me a call - pair of siht houses - I’ll send on my number if you don’t have it

Jaysus lad...Who is getting personal now!!! Playing club and county is like apples and oranges kiddo. Hammering the administration of the county for not playing is a bit of a ropey excuse lad. Come back to me when you've the intercounty games to back up your speak lad.

If we can't be constructive here, there's no point giving out and bickering. Glad to meet for a coffee and debate if you wish?

• Advertisement

Jaysus lad...Who is getting personal now!!! Playing club and county is like apples and oranges kiddo. Hammering the administration of the county for not playing is a bit of a ropey excuse lad. Come back to me when you've the intercounty games to back up your speak lad.

If we can't be constructive here, there's no point giving out and bickering. Glad to meet for a coffee and debate if you wish?

It was the other clown set up the ac.

Ropey? Lads removed from club scene with 20 years? Say you’d want to look up the definition of ropey. They are majorly out of touch with issues on the ground & at club level.

As regards the democratic process for clubs? Chinese democracy.

If your going to piller someone for not playing senior intercounty throw stones all you want at me, I wasn’t good enough, but those people are very much the minority in most counties.

Don’t know what the debate is? You surely cannot defend the direction this county has gone & where it is? We are 20 years at the top hurling table and have nothing to show for it, not a bob, not any assets of note.

That said I’m all for anything that will evoke change & progress and if it starts with a coffee with some random punter, so be it

Ropey? Lads removed from club scene with 20 years? Say you’d want to look up the definition of ropey. They are majorly out of touch with issues on the ground & at club level.

If your going to piller someone for not playing senior intercounty throw stones all you want at me, I wasn’t good enough, but those people are very much the minority in most counties.

Don’t know what the debate is? You surely cannot defend the direction this county has gone & where it is? We are 20 years at the top hurling table and have nothing to show for it, not a bob, not any assets of note.

That said I’m all for anything that will evoke change & progress and if it starts with a coffee with some random punter, so be it

Far from ideal the set up but there's not any credible alternative from what I can see. The replacements waiting in the wings are more of the same lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Spatters

You’re words are a bit harsh butty! What i want to know is with all the comments you’re making on this forum, what is your solution? We all know what the problem is but what is the solution... in plain English please 😉

solution is very simple - do more then other counties. Cant catch up by going slower & if waterford goes any slower its back in time we will go.

Proper Commercial Development, Centre of excellence, abolish divisional boards, structure championships and leagues properly from u14 to Senior, review the role of development squads, proper program to develop schools game, where apt a director of hurling and football, a group of ex intercounty players also to act as a steering committee to the aforementioned, proper finance committee to drive revenue.

Thats off the top of my head. Plenty problems, plenty solutions. In waterfords case the issue are both the structures we have and in some cases the people at the wheel.

All of this is grand on paper, as i said previously turkeys wont vote for christmas & county board meetings are like a seminar for the living dead, club delegates are in a half comatose state there is no debate, no argument its a closed shop and has been decades. It needs a full clear out from top to bottom.

solution is very simple - do more then other counties. Cant catch up by going slower & if waterford goes any slower its back in time we will go.

Proper Commercial Development, Centre of excellence, abolish divisional boards, structure championships and leagues properly from u14 to Senior, review the role of development squads, proper program to develop schools game, where apt a director of hurling and football, a group of ex intercounty players also to act as a steering committee to the aforementioned, proper finance committee to drive revenue.

Thats off the top of my head. Plenty problems, plenty solutions. In waterfords case the issue are both the structures we have and in some cases the people at the wheel.

All of this is grand on paper, as i said previously turkeys wont vote for christmas & county board meetings are like a seminar for the living dead, club delegates are in a half comatose state there is no debate, no argument its a closed shop and has been decades. It needs a full clear out from top to bottom.

Ok, very valid points made and ones that i can agree with. Now where do we go from here? How can we effect change to bring this about? We can scribe here all day but whats the next step.
    Btw i had a cut earlier because i felt you were giving us all the problems, all the negative stuff thats out there already and we all more or less can agree on.
    I always feel that on these forums we’re great at homing in on the problem without offering the solution- you have to do both 👍🏻

• Advertisement

Spatters wrote: »
    Ok, very valid points made and ones that i can agree with. Now where do we go from here? How can we effect change to bring this about? We can scribe here all day but whats the next step.
    Btw i had a cut earlier because i felt you were giving us all the problems, all the negative stuff thats out there already and we all more or less can agree on.
    I always feel that on these forums we’re great at homing in on the problem without offering the solution- you have to do both ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Can’t do much more via boards to be fair - meeting for a chat is probably the next natural step

Can’t do much more via boards to be fair - meeting for a chat is probably the next natural step
    ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Not getting involved in this tit for tat but just to point out here that the above sentence is applicable to every single county board in the country that I am aware of.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Not getting involved in this tit for tat but just to point out here that the above sentence is applicable to every single county board in the country that I am aware of.

hard to argue the length of time bit - but at least they are progressive in terms of club scene, finances and infrastructure.

hard to argue the length of time bit - but at least they are progressive in terms of club scene, finances and infrastructure.

What do counties of a similar size to ourselves have in terms of the above by comparison lad? Don't bundle Kilkenny in with that as they are on a different level success wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

The likelihood of this 'meeting over a pint' taking place is slightly lower than the likelihood of Waterford winning the All-Ireland this year. In football.

What do counties of a similar size to ourselves have in terms of the above by comparison lad? Don't bundle Kilkenny in with that as they are on a different level success wise.

Wexford, Kildare, Clare, Limerick, Monaghan, Cavan, Derry, Meath

all ahead of us when it comes to commercial revenue. Hardly any giants of GAA there, with last year exception of limerick, we have been more successful then all of those in last 20 years

Kk are successful off the pitch but they also are hugely progressive off it - Bruce Springsteen netting them 300k per gig as a specific example. We cant do anything like that as we have no where capable of holding it. The Kube for all its good intentions netted what 25k?

You said earlier about apples and oranges, other counties are in a diff league off the pitch compared to us from a commercial, brand & business perspective.

That is not a dig at anyone, that is reality & the sooner we face up to it & start asking hard questions and getting traction the better chance we have of a better future.

all ahead of us when it comes to commercial revenue. Hardly any giants of GAA there, with last year exception of limerick, we have been more successful then all of those in last 20 years

Waterford have been more successful than Clare in the last 20 years? Based on what? Clare have won a senior AI and 4 U21's while Waterford have won one minor and one U21.

Kk are successful off the pitch but they also are hugely progressive off it - Bruce Springsteen netting them 300k per gig as a specific example. We cant do anything like that as we have no where capable of holding it. The Kube for all its good intentions netted what 25k?

You said earlier about apples and oranges, other counties are in a diff league off the pitch compared to us from a commercial, brand & business perspective.

That is not a dig at anyone, that is reality & the sooner we face up to it & start asking hard questions and getting traction the better chance we have of a better future.

Limerick have JP, different story altogether. KK are in a different stratosphere in terms of organisation etc to us. Success breeds success and all that.

When was the last time Bruce Springsteen played Breffni Park? These are white elephant visions you're throwing out. Soundbytes. We need money, yes. We need organisation of championships, yes. We need coherent planning and strategy for the future, yes. What we don't need is a PUC debacle like in Cork. Our support base isn't there lad. Just look though the spite of the last few pages on here.

Waterford have been more successful than Clare in the last 20 years? Based on what? Clare have won a senior AI and 4 U21's while Waterford have won one minor and one U21.

What about the other 87.5% of what Iv said? Similar sized in terms of population, club size and aspirations.

• Advertisement

Limerick have JP, different story altogether. KK are in a different stratosphere in terms of organisation etc to us. Success breeds success and all that.

When was the last time Bruce Springsteen played Breffni Park? These are white elephant visions you're throwing out. Soundbytes. We need money, yes. We need organisation of championships, yes. We need coherent planning and strategy for the future, yes. What we don't need is a PUC debacle like in Cork. Our support base isn't there lad. Just look though the spite of the last few pages on here.

Clubs are in enough bother trying to develop & deliver their own facilities and plans , not to mind help finance the county board do theirs.

I agree, we don’t need a 30k seater stadium fresh out the box in carriganore, but we need to do something beyond papering over more cracks.

I don’t accept the concert white elephant line, all together now was a roaring success last year. A one day big band gig every 2-3 years is plenty & should be achievable - constantly dismissing something as not possible when there are 2 live examples atn & day tripper of how they work currently is more a white elephant to me.

We are behind in 2 areas - games / structures & actual infrastructure & i have a massive question mark over our coaching and games / development squad approach - that’s my opinion if someone can convince me we are the best in class in any of those, fair enough

What about the other 87.5% of what Iv said? Similar sized in terms of population, club size and aspirations.

Well you had already excluded Limerick yourself so now you are down to a list of 6 counties and to be honest I have no idea what point you are trying to make?

There are also a fair few outliers in the remaining 6 regarding similar population size!

Clubs are in enough bother trying to develop & deliver their own facilities and plans , not to mind help finance the county board do theirs.

I agree, we don’t need a 30k seater stadium fresh out the box in carriganore, but we need to do something beyond papering over more cracks.

I don’t accept the concert white elephant line, all together now was a roaring success last year. A one day big band gig every 2-3 years is plenty & should be achievable - constantly dismissing something as not possible when there are 2 live examples atn & day tripper of how they work currently is more a white elephant to me.

We are behind in 2 areas - games / structures & actual infrastructure & i have a massive question mark over our coaching and games / development squad approach - that’s my opinion if someone can convince me we are the best in class in any of those, fair enough

You want Waterford GAA to run an ATN style gig??? ATN being run by the same crowd running Electric Picnic...get a hauld of yourself lad!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I thought you too were meeting up for coffee? Seem to be happier moaning on here.

Well you had already excluded Limerick yourself so now you are down to a list of 6 counties and to be honest I have no idea what point you are trying to make?

There are also a fair few outliers in the remaining 6 regarding similar population size!

Excluded limerick as they won all ire last year.

The point I’m making is relatively speaking, factoring in everything, we are way way off where we should be & what we should have to show for the last decade or two.

How is it possible the year we get to an all Ireland final 2017 we take in almost half of what Cavan, donegal, Monaghan & Derry by way of commercial revenue for eg.

Or if you want to talk about hurling counties- a quarter of what cork, half of tipp limerick & kk, almost 65k less then Wex - in this regard we are close to clare and Offaly then we are the top end of table, in a year we got to an all Ireland final! Our second in best part of 50 years.

Money makes the world go around, it gives you better prepared teams & a better chance of success, that is surely indisputable?

It’s no coincidence the best organised counties off the pitch are doing the best on it.

That’s the point I’m trying to make, we are already behind & the gap is getting wider.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I thought you too were meeting up for coffee? Seem to be happier moaning on here.

Two Jeff...check your spelling/grammar before getting on your high horse

You want Waterford GAA to run an ATN style gig??? ATN being run by the same crowd running Electric Picnic...get a hauld of yourself lad!!!!

I promise this is my last post on this;

If Ed Sheehan can play in pearse stadium, PUC, Gaelic grounds, Croke Park

If Bruce Springsteen can play PUC, Nowlan Park, Gaelic grounds, Rds

If Rod Stewart can play PUC, Nowlan park

If Bob Dylan & Neil young can play Nowlan Park

If Liam Gallagher can play musgrave park

If all the above has happened & will happen?

Then why can Waterford not have a slice of that pie? Cos we are pisers & moaners & just discredit everything and say ah such and such is a white elephant because that in itself is a soundbyte.

These things can be done, should be done & if I ever got an opportunity would be done. One of them alone is worth about 10 of the Kube events.

I promise this is my last post on this;

If Ed Sheehan can play in pearse stadium, PUC, Gaelic grounds, Croke Park

If Bruce Springsteen can play PUC, Nowlan Park, Gaelic grounds, Rds

If Rod Stewart can play PUC, Nowlan park

If Bob Dylan & Neil young can play Nowlan Park

If Liam Gallagher can play musgrave park

If all the above has happened & will happen?

Then why can Waterford not have a slice of that pie? Cos we are pisers & moaners & just discredit everything and say ah such and such is a white elephant because that in itself is a soundbyte.

These things can be done, should be done & if I ever got an opportunity would be done. One of them alone is worth about 10 of the Kube events.

Fraher, Walsh Park or Mellary lad???

Fraher, Walsh Park or Mellary lad???

Show some ambition - all 3 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Breaking news....Rod Stewart, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Liam Gallagher to be included in Waterford squad for upcoming match v Limerick.

Paraic Fanning to be replaced by Jim Aiken.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement