Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

cul beag wrote: »
    Good positive workout. Clare seem to be ahead of us with their preparation but if nothing else we found a fullback. Prunty was outstanding.

Brillo

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

cul beag wrote: »
    Good positive workout. Clare seem to be ahead of us with their preparation but if nothing else we found a fullback. Prunty was outstanding.

Ya even though we were dominated in the first half there were definitely a lot of positives to take from it. Prunty was a big one, as was Billy Nolan who made 3 excellent saves. Darragh Lyons was impressive also before having to be withdrawn after making an excellent block. Moran was outstanding when introduced wing back. Stephen Bennett was exceptional full forward, nailed every free and really carried the fight to the Clare defence.
    Negatives, well our half back line was cleaned out in the first half. Harney had an exceptionally tough introduction to senior intercounty hurling with his direct opponent bagging 5 points before being withdrawn at ht. Aussie looks to be a long way from the condition one would expect of an intercounty hurlers these days. Colin Dunford had a very poor first half I felt, as did Shane Bennett who has a lot of work to do to get back to his previous level judging by this display. Jack Prendergast made a decent impression for his first start while Tommy Ryan could have had 4 goals on another day but he did ultimately rattle the back of the net. Callum Lyons didn’t look out of place when introduced and Mikey Kearney contributed a nice point. Foran was the target of many of our set plays and Clare were astute in placing Cathal Malone on him who more than matched him for physicality.
    A lot learned over the course of the 2 games leaving us in a pretty decent position heading in to the league to try out players further.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

Completely dominated physically all over the field. Our first touch continues to be abysmal and well behind all other top counties. In fact contributes to numerous break down of good positions game after game, hasn't been addressed in years.
    2 late goals made it look closer than it was when in fact Clare took their foot off the pedal for the last 10 minutes. Waterford tried to play a short passing game but it broke down time after time and often the wrong option was taken.
    Clare on the other hand went direct and their movement, first touch and strength was far superior to ours.
    Worryingly Podge Collins ran around unmarked for about 5 mins after coming on neither our players or line communicating who was to pick him up.
    Moran and Brick brought some badly needed physicality when they came on. Colin Dunford tried numerous shots all of them falling short and his general play was again really poor as was DJ Foran who for a big man has no presence under the dropping ball and in general play.
    Overall, even allowing for the time of year this was a really poor team performance- corrrection- it wasn't a team performance it was 15 individual performances. Clare preformed as a team, working together and seeming to a system they knew and understood. We didn't

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Agree about the problem with the poor first touch and lack of physicality and presence especially in the first half. Ozzie seems to come back every year very out of shape and takes a lot to get fit again. Some players there today not up to the standard but good to try people out. Most annoying thing of all is I reckon we only scored 5 or 6 points from play over 75 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Agree with most of the above. On the positive, I think we have a very good full back line. I knew Prunty was good and showed he can slot in at full back with both physical and hurling ability in abundance. The surprise for me was that I knew nothing about Darragh Lyons who is like a young Noel Connors. If that's the sort of performance he can deliver on a regular basis then I think Shane Fives will do well to hold his place so great to see.

Up front Stephen Bennett carried the team. Jack Prendergast tried hard and Tommy Ryan was his usual threat at times.
    The changing of the game was bringing on Moran as up to then we go cleaned out in the middle third. Austin Gleeson's form over the last 12 months is very worrying. He's had several injury problems last year but I feel his place should no longer be guaranteed. Moran really showed him how to lead from the back today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Why wasn’t it on in Walsh park considering our home games be played there? Has the work began? More games we play the better especially as good chunk of the team are based in west and almost never play there with their clubs.

When I checked the website for the fixtures, it’s the 1b fixtures from 2015 are on it. Who is responsible for running the website? Assuming county secretary? It’s a total embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

I went to the football in the Gold Cost and on the hurling in Fraher Field for the 2nd half, disappointing that it wasn’t a double header.

Waterford were outclassed in the football against a stronger Clare side, really looked like a Division 2 side versus a poor Division 4 team. The new rules hadn’t a major impact on the game overall but will be interesting to see how they go in the league. Waterford seem to have lost Thomas O’Gorman, Joey Veale, Gavin Crotty and Donie Breatnach, huge losses. Hard to see them competing for promotion.

In the 2nd half of the hurling, Waterford more than matched Clare (as I said I didn’t see the 1st). Kevin Moran was back I the half back line and excelled along with Prunty at full back who was on the dangerous Aaron Shanagher. Darragh Lyons was going well but I hope he hasn’t another injury as he got a nasty slap attempting a block. Callum Lyons did not look out of place but probably needs to bulk up a bit for intercounty championship hurling. I was disappointed in Dunford, they seemed to move Barron to centre forward to accomodate him (they later swapped Barron with Midget) but he was poor, would like to see him perhaps given another chance in the corner as this was where he played during his best year intercounty in 2014. Stephen Bennett’s fitness and form is a big plus, great to see him back to his best, he’s still so young with so much potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

This Clare team have been on the road three years now so they’re definitely going to be in a better position starting off in January than us. I wouldn’t be worried about fitness or sharpness yet, it’s still the first week in January. Colin Dunford has been around 5/6 years now so he’d want to showing a bit more if he’s thinking about challenging for a place this year. Good news about Prunty and Darragh Lyons. We still have Darragh Fives, TDB, Conor Gleason & the Ballygunner contingent to come back

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Would echo a lot of the comments above. Prunty and Lyons very impressive, Nolan with some excellent saves. Half back line and midfield v poor in first half. Austin clearly had wintered well for himself. Moran made all the difference when introduced. Stephen Bennett outstanding and a nice dilemma there for management about frees when Mahony comes back. The ending was almost farcical. Overall a lot more goal chances than we are accoustomed to seeing Waterford get. Cracking crowd of 3000 for a the first Sunday in January

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭IanVW

Any sign of any sweepers today??:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

IanVW wrote: »

Not one to be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

IanVW wrote: »

No, Just a real good full back at last.:D

Couldn’t believe the crowd there. The boom is back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Is it possible Billy Nolan could dislodge SOK for the number 1 jersey? I said it a while ago here that he can push him hard for it and he's basically first choice now until the Ballygunner lads are back (and I've no doubt he'll also get a few other league games after SOK returns). The lad seems well able for it, showed well underage and going by recent performances has done his reputation no harm although some did mention here he didn't want to play on goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Cake Man wrote: »
    Is it possible Billy Nolan could dislodge SOK for the number 1 jersey? I said it a while ago here that he can push him hard for it and he's basically first choice now until the Ballygunner lads are back (and I've no doubt he'll also get a few other league games after SOK returns). The lad seems well able for it, showed well underage and going by recent performances has done his reputation no harm although some did mention here he didn't want to play on goal.

He could well do. He has made some great saves the last 2 games, been very solid under the high ball and distribution has been very good. Offers great support to the defenders when they are under pressure so it wouldn’t amaze me if he kept hold of the jersey now. SOK is a super keeper also but I feel Nolan is a little more solid under the high ball and more natural in taking possession off the defence from playing outfield for his club.

It’s possible but would be a huge call from a new manager. SOK is a former all star with plenty of big game experience and come championship I’d expect to see him in goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

DiscoStew wrote: »
    He could well do. He has made some great saves the last 2 games, been very solid under the high ball and distribution has been very good. Offers great support to the defenders when they are under pressure so it wouldn’t amaze me if he kept hold of the jersey now. SOK is a super keeper also but I feel Nolan is a little more solid under the high ball and more natural in taking possession off the defence from playing outfield for his club.

He’s never had any serious competition before with all due respect to Iggy so interesting to see how this shapes out

It’s refreshing just to log on here and read nothing about ‘bastardised hurling’ or sweepers and instead read about young players who are actually making an impression in their natural positions

Haven’t seen that in about 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Some crowd. No doubt it will be used by the Munster Council as an excuse to not allow Waterford host any Munster round-robin games this summer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

Would Not be Banging on about new full back yet, he was very good, in a game and conditions that suited him, made one really bad error, in the last 5 min, which would leave me to believe he is not the most confident of chap, but he adds some presence to the edge of the square, plus that flick off the hurl when the full forward rounded him , was pure quality, he is deffo the best there now, as we have no other out and out full back, Aussie is fat end off, went fighting as he was sick of chasing after a very lively centre forward, when he did chase after him, he really should look at kevin Moran, what an example of how lads should look after themselves, his introduction changed the game, Don't think Aussie has been fit for at least 15 months, as even when he was playing last year looked chunky, he needs to find that hunger again, and i don't know if he will, which would be a travesty for the most naturally gifted physical speciman that we have produced in a while.

Stephen Bennett was class, took his goal as only her can, Colin Dunford , does not do anything well enough to really get back on this team, Shane Bennett looked lost , and that he had no Interest, Darragh Lyons is too good for corner back, and he is very good there, but he is a playmaker, so i would have him Playing the role Derek had jake Dillon doing for 3 years, except Darragh has better legs, but his decision making is very impressive, and his confidence,[ hope his hand is Ok]. All in all , it was a useful work out, we looked as if we had been hard training on either sat, or even sunday morning, was happy enough, for a jan, but jesus Aussie get yourself right, it could be the difference, as other wise it would be some waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭whiteandblue

Reading in the Examiner this morning that there is a leak in Fraher Field that will cost the county board "a significant five-figure sum to repair" but they await clarity from Irish water. More headaches and finance issues.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Would Not be Banging on about new full back yet, he was very good, in a game and conditions that suited him, made one really bad error, in the last 5 min, which would leave me to believe he is not the most confident of chap, but he adds some presence to the edge of the square, plus that flick off the hurl when the full forward rounded him , was pure quality, he is deffo the best there now, as we have no other out and out full back, Aussie is fat end off, went fighting as he was sick of chasing after a very lively centre forward, when he did chase after him, he really should look at kevin Moran, what an example of how lads should look after themselves, his introduction changed the game, Don't think Aussie has been fit for at least 15 months, as even when he was playing last year looked chunky, he needs to find that hunger again, and i don't know if he will, which would be a travesty for the most naturally gifted physical speciman that we have produced in a while.

Stephen Bennett was class, took his goal as only her can, Colin Dunford , does not do anything well enough to really get back on this team, Shane Bennett looked lost , and that he had no Interest, Darragh Lyons is too good for corner back, and he is very good there, but he is a playmaker, so i would have him Playing the role Derek had jake Dillon doing for 3 years, except Darragh has better legs, but his decision making is very impressive, and his confidence,[ hope his hand is Ok]. All in all , it was a useful work out, we looked as if we had been hard training on either sat, or even sunday morning, was happy enough, for a jan, but jesus Aussie get yourself right, it could be the difference, as other wise it would be some waste.

Gleeson has a lot of work to do to get up to the fitness required at this level. Who’s the s&c coach?

If I was Fanning I’d be telling Gleeson goway for 6 weeks and get yourself in shape and come back in the latter stages of the league and we’ll have another look at you. at the moment he’s not remotely fit enough

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Gleeson has a lot of work to do to get up to the fitness required at this level. Who’s the s&c coach?

If I was Fanning I’d be telling Gleeson goway for 6 weeks and get yourself in shape and come back in the latter stages of the league and we’ll have another look at you. at the moment he’s not remotely fit enough

I knw he was away on holidays a lot over the autumn/winter so he would be a little behind on the S&C side

Hopefully he gets himself sorted. We need the POTY Aussie if we are too be a serious challenger for the AI

Any news where the Offaly game will be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

It looked to me like Gleeson was rushed back too early from injuries more than once last season. Also, he seemed to suffer from mental fatigue and from everything that came with the expectation after that debut season.

Young players like him can often stumble a bit as they're often flogged as young lads, and their bodies are still growing and adjusting to senior level. He was probably flogging himself at times last year trying to get back to the level he was, and wrecking his own head in the process.

Someone rightly highlighted Kevin Moran as someone in peak condition, however Kevin struggled in his initial years on the panel. Kevin was a tall and light speedy forward who eventually became a physical ball winner. He was also a guy who often used to struggle with the pressure of big games. He was definitely a much better player at 30 than he was at 20, so I think Gleeson could benefit from some patience and time.

hardybuck wrote: »
    It looked to me like Gleeson was rushed back too early from injuries more than once last season. Also, he seemed to suffer from mental fatigue and from everything that came with the expectation after that debut season.

He was definitely rushed back last year. He had several injuries and due to the disaster we had with other players going out, he was rushed back for the Tipp game. I think winning player of the year wasn't good for him. Too much attention and pressure on him. Opposition fans jeering at every mistake and our own manager playing him in different positions and open roles where he hadn't a clue where to position himself. I don't think he's a great reader of the play like Tadhg for example. I think he's better in a fixed position so needs to knuckle down and work hard and get back into the team. Joe Canning and Tony Kelly had dips in form after their rise to stardom also so he's not the first bright spark to suffer. What makes a great player is work ethic and consistency and he can get that into his game yet if he really wants it. The talent is there as we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Motivator

Jesus Christ, didn’t take long for the mad comments to appear here again. Tipp’s Eoin Kelly was regularly “out of shape” during the league when he was at his peak. He was then freshened up and was a different animal come the Championship. I would imagine Gleeson has a good relationship with Fanning considering they’re club mates and Fanning will be aware, as everyone else is, that a fully fit Gleeson will be the instrumental in any good things Waterford do this year. It’s January lads, relax a bit.

Gleeson probably should have been given last year off. He was rushed back from niggles and injury all year. I saw him playing for Mt Sion in the club Championship and he couldn’t even run. It isn’t fair on him to carry the can for club and county when he is clearly injured. He’ll be fine this year and I’d back him to be back to his best come the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Its a comical enough thread on here , most of the time , let alone the first week in January, entertaining though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Any transfers or rumours of transfers on the local club scene. Usually around this time of year that this takes place.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

Too early to judge anything significant about anyone.

3 weeks to the Offaly game gives everyone plenty of time to *start* to get things in place. We have a very easy 1b this year with promotion off the table we just have to finish in the top 4 for a chance at the 1a teams.

There has never been a riper time for some experimentation in lineup and some boldness in approach. It's perfect for a new manager.

puzl wrote: »

3 weeks to the Offaly game

Has a venue been confirmed yet?

Can't wait for the league. It was a great to see new players doing well at the weekend and I'm looking forward to more of the same throughout the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Has a venue been confirmed yet?

Can't wait for the league. It was a great to see new players doing well at the weekend and I'm looking forward to more of the same throughout the league.

GAA website is still saying venue 'TBC' :confused:

I think there is a huge appetite out there for hurling in 2019. 2,000+ at a souped-up challenge match in early January? Incredible. Part of that is down to the championship-for-the-ages that was 2018 and part of it is, in Waterford at least, the blank slate that the new management team has. But I think the main reason is the new format. The prospect of constant hits of high-quality, meaningful games in the early summer is so much more tantalising than a not-quite knockout game followed by several weeks of sitting on your hands, and by 'sitting on your hands' I mean 'players going through interminable training sessions while the fans are sitting on their hands'. It's going to be great (edit: if we get our home games).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement