Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I guess if the school is officially situated in Co Kilkenny it must compete in Leinster competitions, similarly Roscrea school is situated in Laois as the county boundary comes in through the suburbs of the town.

To be fair The Abbey would consist of mostly sth KK folk, they’d have a few Ferrybank lads hurling with them but mostly made up of South Kilkenny clubs

The Abbey is physically located in Waterford.

Ferrybank GAA are also a Waterford club and most of their lads go to school there, while some would also go to the likes of DLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Our punishment for breaking the training weekend rule is to play Offaly at a venue that is closer to Offaly than it is to Waterford.
    Meanwhile, Armagh's punishment for the same offence is to play their game against Clare at a Down venue that is 100 metres from the Armagh border and over 100 miles from County Clare.
    At what point should we start getting paranoid about this kind of stuff?

We should take care of Offaly regardless. They’ll probably fancy their chances a bit more that it’s on in Thurles but it should be decent challenge all the same.

Fanning isn’t losing too much sleep I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

The Ursline are Munster camogie champions, great win today over Doon from Limerick. Well done all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

There was a good few, Peter McCarthy (Piltown) and Danny Purcell (Mooncoin) Won AI minors with KK in 08, Neill Kelly from Piltown was a brilliant player on those DLS teams aswell. Definetly the emergence of the Abbey CC in Ferrybank (competes in the Leinster competition) as a strong hurling school has hovered up a lot of the Sth KK contingent that DLS once drew. But from a Waterford point of view it’s probably better that it’s all Waterford lads, there’s few enough getting exposure to this level of hurling as it is

Yes would agree. Great to see that Waterford reg players can actually put it up to anyone without them having to rely on south kk reg to bolster the team...,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deisefacts

Was in the Granville last night,well done to Beth carton, a lot of people talking about the no show from the county board at the awards. Rumors going around that the executive of the board are taking a case against Wlr over their broadcasting of Martin cullens interview on Wlr. If they are I hope they are using their own money and not the boards money. Pat flynn gets extremely well paid and Pj definitely has enough money to keep his main hobby going. It’s embarrassing that these 2 individuals can’t get over themselves and attend, what is now, one of our main gaa awards nights in the county. These 2 men have been over Waterford gaa 17/18 out of last 22/23 years and we are still no better off as a county. Our grounds are poor and despite winning 2 u-21s and a minor all ireland in that time, the teams with beat in those finals have gone on and won the all ireland and we’ve ended up just above Kerry in Munster. Our development squads have shown us nothing over the last 20 odd years to suggest that things aren’t going to change anytime soon. Our club championships are starting to turn into a joke and a lot of players are starting to stay away from wanting to play adult for the clubs. They can build and upgrade all the stadiums they want but if they don’t have people to play in them then it becomes a white elephant. Following a bit of research this morning I make it out that we’ve between 20/25% less players playing hurling/football sine 2000( the internet is great, despite what Pj thinks). We need to get our house in order before we build any stadium. These 2 men and the rest of the board officers who seem to treat the boards as their own merry go round need to be removed from their positions for us to move forward as a county

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Deisefacts wrote: »
    . These 2 men have been over Waterford gaa 17/18 out of last 22/23 years and we are still no better off as a county. Our grounds are poor and despite winning 2 u-21s and a minor all ireland in that time, the teams with beat in those finals have gone on and won the all ireland and we’ve ended up just above Kerry in Munster. Our development squads have shown us nothing over the last 20 odd years to suggest that things aren’t going to change anytime soon.

Our club championships are starting to turn into a joke and a lot of players are starting to stay away from wanting to play adult for the clubs. They can build and upgrade all the stadiums they want but if they don’t have people to play in them then it becomes a white elephant.

Following a bit of research this morning I make it out that we’ve between 20/25% less players playing hurling/football sine 2000( the internet is great, despite what Pj thinks). We need to get our house in order before we build any stadium. These 2 men and the rest of the board officers who seem to treat the boards as their own merry go round need to be removed from their positions for us to move forward as a county

I'd agree they would have to accept responsibility for the fact there is no stadium already in place. Also, I think between them and Munster GAA it is an absolute farce that we still don't know where Waterford will play their championship games for the second year running and for me the biggest issue with the administration.

Have a few issues with that post:

1. I don't understand what you mean by saying they've won 2 u21s (not correct in the timespan given - 1992 is 26 years ago) and 1 minor with no success, and at the same time bemoaning that the development squads in the last 20 years have shown nothing to suggest we can be better than anyone else in Munster?

2. Some mistakes are made with scheduling, this year was very poor given the early exit from the championship. But there is a systemic issue in the GAA that causes the fixture pile up for club championships, the participation of inter county players in the fixtures.

The CPA wasn't a Waterford initiative, it's but much to hold two men responsible for a problem felt throughout the Country that could only really be solved by separating club/county if you compare it to local soccer leagues or club rugby.

3. Bemoaning no stadium and at the same time giving out about plans to build a stadium? And to be fair, they look to have very much so avoided the prospect of white elephants and burdening the club's with massive debt this time around.

4. On the 20% thing, would be interesting to see if true. Can you share your research?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭914

Following a bit of research this morning I make it out that we’ve between 20/25% less players playing hurling/football sine 2000( the internet is great, despite what Pj thinks).

Surely immigration has a lot to do with the statistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭thesultan

I believe that the GAA has to impose both an April and possibly a July as club only months. At least players will have certainty on fixtures. .

Who was named hurler of the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

thesultan wrote: »

Cian Lynch of Limerick.

• Advertisement

In Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Teebor15

thesultan wrote: »

Is there a hurler of the year award? I thought it was GAA award picked from the 12 monthly winners from 1018?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Waterford GAA awards night is next weekend, was the WLR sports awards last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,780 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Waterford GAA awards night is next weekend, was the WLR sports awards last night.

Paddy Joe buying the round that night Id say

Clare beating Tipp in the Munster league final today. Munster is going to be dog eat dog yet again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Paddy Joe buying the round that night Id say

Clare beating Tipp in the Munster league final today. Munster is going to be dog eat dog yet again this year

Waterford beat limerick today in a challenge

Waterford beat limerick today in a challenge

Nice win on paper but how long are limerick back from holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Any other details on that challenge? Score, team, venue etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Cake Man wrote: »
    Any other details on that challenge? Score, team, venue etc?

2.19 0.17 , limerick just back from holidays. Bennett the main man again. Tadhg played good to see him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Deisefacts wrote: »
    Was in the Granville last night,well done to Beth carton, a lot of people talking about the no show from the county board at the awards. Rumors going around that the executive of the board are taking a case against Wlr over their broadcasting of Martin cullens interview on Wlr. If they are I hope they are using their own money and not the boards money. Pat flynn gets extremely well paid and Pj definitely has enough money to keep his main hobby going. It’s embarrassing that these 2 individuals can’t get over themselves and attend, what is now, one of our main gaa awards nights in the county. These 2 men have been over Waterford gaa 17/18 out of last 22/23 years and we are still no better off as a county. Our grounds are poor and despite winning 2 u-21s and a minor all ireland in that time, the teams with beat in those finals have gone on and won the all ireland and we’ve ended up just above Kerry in Munster. Our development squads have shown us nothing over the last 20 odd years to suggest that things aren’t going to change anytime soon. Our club championships are starting to turn into a joke and a lot of players are starting to stay away from wanting to play adult for the clubs. They can build and upgrade all the stadiums they want but if they don’t have people to play in them then it becomes a white elephant. Following a bit of research this morning I make it out that we’ve between 20/25% less players playing hurling/football sine 2000( the internet is great, despite what Pj thinks). We need to get our house in order before we build any stadium. These 2 men and the rest of the board officers who seem to treat the boards as their own merry go round need to be removed from their positions for us to move forward as a county

well said lad & there is plenty more could be said, they are self serving & self preserving whose interests is social climbing. There are 5-6 individuals on the merry go round. i wonder is worth getting a petition going asking the lot of them to get off it and go away for the good of the whole county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

i wonder is worth getting a petition going asking the lot of them to get off it and go away for the good of the whole county.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

when it comes to the knockout stages of the league will we be considered as having 2 or 3 'Home' games ????

1A- Tipp (2 home games), Kilkenny (2 home games), Limerick (2 home games), Wexford (3 home games), Cork (3 home games), Clare (3 home games)

1B- Galway (2 home games), Laois (2 home games), Offaly (2 home games), Dublin (3 home games), Carlow (3 home games)

QF/Relagation playoff rules
    the team with the lesser home games in the group stage will have Home advantage
    If teams have had the same amount of the home games than a coin toss will decide who has home advantage for the QF/Playoff

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

Our game called offaly is a home game for the purposes of such calculations, I would think.

puzl wrote: »
    Our game called offaly is a home game for the purposes of such calculations, I would think.

Have a bloody feeling we will be travelling too limerick for a QF

Even I can't see us in a relegation play-off. If we are we are ****ed

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Big meeting on Waterford football matters in Crottys tonight...hopefully some good will come from it and it's not a PR exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Big meeting on Waterford football matters in Crottys tonight...hopefully some good will come from it and it's not a PR exercise.

A PR exercise for who exactly? No club was informed of the meeting, no officers of the boards informed or invited.
    How does one expect to bring about change without the views of clubs and their officers and officers of divisional or county boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

DiscoStew wrote: »
    A PR exercise for who exactly? No club was informed of the meeting, no officers of the boards informed or invited.
    How does one expect to bring about change without the views of clubs and their officers and officers of divisional or county boards?

A PR exercise for lads who think they’re more important than they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

DiscoStew wrote: »

A PR exercise for lads who think they’re more important than they are

Who organised the meeting then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

What was the purpose and outcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Have a bloody feeling we will be travelling too limerick for a QF

Even I can't see us in a relegation play-off. If we are we are ****ed

Easy on there Uri Geller.

You're prediction the position of two teams in the 1A and 1B tables there.. anything can happen.

I would assume we will be in the top 4 of 1B. No disrespect to Laois or Carlow, but we should be able to beat them with confidence.

Galway, Dublin and Offaly are different matters and even though Offaly have been struggling a bit recently, you can never right them off completely.

So even given this, predicting our position in 1B is very difficult. It not only depends on how good the opposition is, but how seriously they treat the league as a team.

As for 1A, good luck predicting that.
    Cork, Limerick, Clare, Wexford, Kilkenny and Tipp.. any of them could be Top 4, any of them could win the League and any of them would be a fantastic QF for us should we get there.

If I had to pick, I'd like a QF vs a Leinster team.. preferably Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭whiteandblue

No one from the county board or any club representatives were invited and these are the people who make the decisions so it seems a pointless exercise, they can give out, bitch and moan and say they will do this and that but without representing a club at a county board meeting, they have no accreditation to change anything

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement