Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blackis200

jeffk wrote: »
    On the way back from Navan to Dublin and not long after the speed camera sign on the R147 there was a guarda car pulled into the entrance of a house or that with a camera out the window. Near or at a place called Lissadell Lodge

Unusual as not far from where there nearly always is a van parked

This is nearly every day now. Its 80 zone.
    A guy passed me out on Friday morning and got caught straight away.
    On friday morning g, there were 3 speed traps between Blanchardstown and Navan.

jeffk wrote: »
    On the way back from Navan to Dublin and not long after the speed camera sign on the R147 there was a guarda car pulled into the entrance of a house or that with a camera out the window. Near or at a place called Lissadell Lodge

Unusual as not far from where there nearly always is a van parked

Oh, a new tactic is to have a cop doing speed checks also in the area where speed Van's are set up. I got caught this way and see them doing it in lots of spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Are there speed cameras on motorways?
    I have not ever noticed a sign for same.
    Neither have i ever seen a police checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Are there speed cameras on motorways as i have not noticed sign.
    Is it just monitored by Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

blackis200 wrote: »

Oh, a new tactic is to have a cop doing speed checks also in the area where speed Van's are set up. I got caught this way and see them doing it in lots of spots.

I've never seen it, every weekend I'm down to navan to herself, mostly motorway though.

Is it the new type where they don't have to stop you to do you?

That doesn't surprise me, up to 10 van locations on old road or motorway, took road from N to L to push people onto motorway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭irishgeo

They still have to stop you with the new speed camera I thought.

irishgeo wrote: »
    They still have to stop you with the new speed camera I thought.

They stop you.
    Beware also after passing speed van at J3 Blanchardstown. Cops on over bridge a lot watching speed and phone use. The speed limit goes down from 100 immediately after the van and the cops get you for breaking 80. Then they nip down the on ramp and do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

They stop you.
    Beware also after passing speed van at J3 Blanchardstown. Cops on over bridge a lot watching speed and phone use. The speed limit goes down from 100 immediately after the van and the cops get you for breaking 80. Then they nip down the on ramp and do you.

Drove the motorway tipp to Dublin and seen a few cars waiting on the slips. Cameras are monitoring from behind, I tipped 130 / 140 all the way with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,723 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Drove the motorway tipp to Dublin and seen a few cars waiting on the slips. Cameras are monitoring from behind, I tipped 130 / 140 all the way with no issues.

Yep they're regularly hidden in behind the bridge (either side) between M8 J9 and J10 at the top/start of the hill. Again regularly at Portlaoise at M7 J16 Dublin-bound (or just after it as there's a ramp for them)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yep they're regularly hidden in behind the bridge (either side) between M8 J9 and J10 at the top/start of the hill. Again regularly at Portlaoise at M7 J16 Dublin-bound (or just after it as there's a ramp for them)

I think they are looking for serious speeders though. 140 on Speedo doesn't set them motoring

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Speed vans work on the garda ramp M3 J6 and on the M3 Garda only ramp immediately after toll booth north bound at dunboyne.
    Black unmarked cop cars work the ramps.
    Keep to your speed limit all along M3 and R147.
    The buggers are always on both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 yiwa_

I was driving on the N25 this morning around 7:45 and had to overtake a lorry. As I was on the outside lane closest to the concrete divide, I would say my speed hit 110km or a bit more, I noticed a speed van on the opposite side of the road. It was right ahead and I tried to slow down but I am not sure I was quick enough to notice it initially.

Would it be very likely that I was caught given there was the concrete divide and other cars passing in the opposite direction? When I was coming back, the van was still there (made sure to stick to 100km like I usually would). When driving on the left lane on the opposite side (where the van was), registrations are not visible given the concrete but I'd imagine speed vans probably can record them better or further down? The van was pulled in on the 'Garda Vehicle Only' section to the left of the shoulder.

This is the first time it has ever happened to me so I'm a bit panicked! I will probably just have to endure the wait for a letter if I was caught but advice would be appreciated. If I do get caught, lesson learned not to overtake lorries driving slower on the left lane :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,723 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

yiwa_ wrote: »
    I was driving on the N25 this morning around 7:45 and had to overtake a lorry. As I was on the outside lane closest to the concrete divide, I would say my speed hit 110km or a bit more, I noticed a speed van on the opposite side of the road. It was right ahead and I tried to slow down but I am not sure I was quick enough to notice it initially.

Would it be very likely that I was caught given there was the concrete divide and other cars passing in the opposite direction? When I was coming back, the van was still there (made sure to stick to 100km like I usually would). When driving on the left lane on the opposite side (where the van was), registrations are not visible given the concrete but I'd imagine speed vans probably can record them better or further down? The van was pulled in on the 'Garda Vehicle Only' section to the left of the shoulder.

This is the first time it has ever happened to me so I'm a bit panicked! I will probably just have to endure the wait for a letter if I was caught but advice would be appreciated. If I do get caught, lesson learned not to overtake lorries driving slower on the left lane :)

I'd say you're fine. Concrete barrier + other cars in the way, and 110 indicated is probably about 105 really. Also the vans take pictures from the rear door so if you were at 100-ish by the time you got to that point you'd be grand anyway.

Even without the barrier/cars I'd be surprised if you got a ticket myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

How long is that wait these days, from passing the van to the dreaded letter.

Asking for a friend. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

Thought I got done by one 3 weeks ago heard nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How long is that wait these days, from passing the van to the dreaded letter.

Asking for a friend. :D

Could be a week or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AaronDJ

Seen a van today thought it looked a bit strange. Was a 141-D reg High roof transit custom. Had a camera on the side(pointing at the sliding door from the back top corner) and a spotlight and strobe above the rear doors. Much like a Go Safe van. The back windows were white and I couldn't see in (Possibly tinted white or had something behind glass, if there was even glass at all. ). Did Go safe sell any of their fleet. Could it have been a Garda Operated Van ? It wasn't in a go safe location (Bushy Park Rd)... It also had 2 people in it and it looked like a builders van and was parked outside a building site. So fairly certain that is what it was... but it got me thinking I havent seen a Garda Speed van in a long time and the ones i did see a few years back were the old style transit van. Do the Guards have any new speed vans and if so what do they look like ?

If you get a ticket, nominate Phil Hogan as the driver.
    Let him prove it wasnt him on his way to a golf game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 yiwa_

If you get a ticket, nominate Phil Hogan as the driver.
    Let him prove it wasnt him on his way to a golf game.

Haha, would be a grand idea now.

I think I'm in the clear this time as it's been a month now and didn't receive anything so luckily I was just able to learn my lesson and not get a slap on the wrist!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Just some things I have heard of late and questions .

I have heard there is new vans that have camera on front and rear.
    Also they can only catch you 25 ft before the camera gets you.. Prob rubbish..

Can you argue fines from the vans for example with some speed signs partially covered or entirely blocked on both sides of the road I have notice much of this lately have asked the garda on twitter but they have not responded

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Can you argue fines from the vans for example with some speed signs partially covered or entirely blocked on both sides of the road I have notice much of this lately have asked the garda on twitter but they have not responded
    Indeed you can argue that the signs were partially covered.
    But you'll more than likely lose and get more points for challenging it in court and losing.

Indeed you can argue that the signs were partially covered.
    But you'll more than likely lose and get more points for challenging it in court and losing.

Odd I've seen some completely blocked that ain't fair if you have photos and dashcam evidence..

Odd I've seen some completely blocked that ain't fair if you have photos and dashcam evidence..
    They're blocked on both sides of the road?
    Plus how did you know they are there if they're completely blocked?

They're blocked on both sides of the road?

Yup seen a few mostly overgrown trees etc

Yup seen a few mostly overgrown trees etc
    So how did you know the signs were there if the overgrown trees were blocking them from view?

So how did you know the signs were there if the overgrown trees were blocking them from view?

Well as a fairly regular user of the same roads it's obvious I would personally however not living in their area or for others passing through don't you find it a bit of a fish in a barrel situation?
    Like the garda are to have speed camera signs on roads clearly visible same should apply to the speed signs one would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Just some things I have heard of late and questions .

I have heard there is new vans that have camera on front and rear.
    Also they can only catch you 25 ft before the camera gets you.. Prob rubbish..
    Not really.

The camera can detect on up to 5 lanes of traffic.

Just one camera records traffic.

The second camera is a backup if a registration cannot be read or if someone tries to damage van. So yes there is a second camera, but it is not used for speed detection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Goose81

Darc19 wrote: »
    Not really.

The camera can detect on up to 5 lanes of traffic.

Just one camera records traffic.

The second camera is a backup if a registration cannot be read or if someone tries to damage van. So yes there is a second camera, but it is not used for speed detection.

Are you sure about that?

I'm on a bike and often go past speed vans above the limit and have never got a ticket, if the front camera is true they would have used it to get the reg..

Well as a fairly regular user of the same roads it's obvious I would personally however not living in their area or for others passing through don't you find it a bit of a fish in a barrel situation?
    Can you point out some examples of these hidden signs on google maps please?
    Otherwise, I'll stand by my belief that you're just waffling and it doesn't really happen that both signs are hidden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Avadacov

Passed a Garda 4x4 hidden on the layby of the N7 heading towards Naas this morning. One guard in the driver seat with a speed gun pointed onto the road I was driving on. Was doing about 112-114km as I got stuck in the outside lane overtaking a car. Think I may have been blocked in by other cars, but what's the liklihood I will be issued with points? Do you have to be actually pulled over to be booked? Panicking slightly!!

Advertisement