Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

What's the beeping as it gets closer? I thought radar detectors were illegal and you got the book thrown at you if caught with one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

coL wrote: »
    What's the beeping as it gets closer? I thought radar detectors were illegal and you got the book thrown at you if caught with one?

You can get dashcams with built in detectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

They are illegal to use in thr car & have operating. When I was trying to order one I was told that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

They are illegal to use in thr car & have operating. When I was trying to order one I was told that.

Doing 101 in a 100 illegal as well .

Take your chances.. but, the best defence is your eyes.
    Just be aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Got a speed fine from a go safe van last week.

Turned from a secondary road out onto a main road and there was no speed limit sign to inform me i was in a 80km zone or that it was a speed camera zone.
    The poles are there, the signage is gone

I'm thinking of appealing it.

• Advertisement

Got a speed fine from a go safe van last week.

Turned from a secondary road out onto a main road and there was no speed limit sign to inform me i was in a 80km zone or that it was a speed camera zone.
    The poles are there, the signage is gone

I'm thinking of appealing it.

Take a few pics , send them to the address on the letter.

Just be sure that the road you were on was of a higher limit

The clock for 28 days doesn't stop.

Edit.. the camera signs were never a legal requirement, and also, there is no legal legal requirement to put up a speed limit sign when you go from one road to another, unless there is a change in limit.

So if you were on a 80k road and joined another 80k rd.. there won't be a sign.

mikeecho wrote: »

Thr other road has a general speed classification, I'm fairly sure

Edit.. the camera signs were never a legal requirement, and also, there is no legal legal requirement to put up a speed limit sign when you go from one road to another, unless there is a change in limit.

So if you were on a 80k road and joined another 80k rd.. there won't be a sign.

Letter sent. There is no speed limit sign afaik on the road before i turned into the regional road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Letter sent. There is no speed limit sign afaik on the road before i turned into the regional road

Probally still have to go to court so the judge can Quash it.dont think Templemore can take it off the system anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

bladespin wrote: »
    You can get dashcams with built in detectors.

They are garbage.

Correct. The Irish law is actually a very strong one in the sense you can't even transport one, that is, you can't even have it in your car in a box and turned off.

For anyone reading this, don't bother with one in Ireland against GoSafe. Not only do you require a very good one (Expensive) but the cost of getting caught with one far exceeds even a few fines. Detectors are designed for the States where older, less sophisticated systems are still in use AND they are generally legal to own and operate.

I know you can't take the word of a stranger on the internet for anything but they do not work effectively against GoSafe, your warning will be next to nothing, and the are useless against the Gardai's tech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭kirving

You can buy 24GHz radar sensors from legitimate Irish based electronic components shops. They'd require a cover, and a bit of electronics know how to output a beep to act as a detector though.

From the YouTube video posted, that sensor looks to be more than capable of detecting the radar at enough distance to brake.

Out of interest, does the car have to be speeding at the time the photo is taken, or does the detection happen early, and photo taken once the car is into camera range?

ironclaw wrote: »
    They are garbage.

Correct. The Irish law is actually a very strong one in the sense you can't even transport one, that is, you can't even have it in your car in a box and turned off.

For anyone reading this, don't bother with one in Ireland against GoSafe. Not only do you require a very good one (Expensive) but the cost of getting caught with one far exceeds even a few fines. Detectors are designed for the States where older, less sophisticated systems are still in use AND they are generally legal to own and operate.

I know you can't take the word of a stranger on the internet for anything but they do not work effectively against GoSafe, your warning will be next to nothing, and the are useless against the Gardai's tech.

That was my understanding too, the penalties are so severe that it's not worth having one in the car. Is that the case for any kind of detector?

Is the one in the video a detector/dashcam combo unit? I didn't even know that was a thing. I presume these are not legal either but are they any harder for the Gardaí to spot given that so many cars have dashcams these days?

To be fair it seemed to pick up the van a reasonable way out.

Out of interest, does the car have to be speeding at the time the photo is taken, or does the detection happen early, and photo taken once the car is into camera range?

That's a really good question. It would be great to get a proper answer. My understanding was that the detection and the photo happened at the same time but have never had that confirmed.

That's a really good question. It would be great to get a proper answer. My understanding was that the detection and the photo happened at the same time but have never had that confirmed.

Photo is taken at time of detection.
    You are almost on top of the van when that happens

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You can buy 24GHz radar sensors from legitimate Irish based electronic components shops. They'd require a cover, and a bit of electronics know how to output a beep to act as a detector though.

From a technical perspective, the radar in use by GoSafe is really close to the start of the 24GHz band and is strictly polarized (Vertical). This presents a challenge to even really good detectors as the sensitivity at either end is significantly lower than right in the middle i.e. Bandpass filtering. You then need to polarize with a good antenna and reduce noise. The antenna is the easier part but still challenging as most detectors are not polarised, and if they are it's horizontal, and it's very hard to vertically polarize a detector in an inconspicuous manner. Assuming you got that down though, the noise is much harder as the output power of GoSafe, versus say a handheld radar gun, is much lower and harder to 'hear'. That's before you consider really exotic stuff like instant-on radar etc.

In other words, you can't just take a 24GHz detector off the shelf and expect it to work. To reliably detect GoSafe, at a range that is good enough to slow down, you'll need to spend big money.

ironclaw wrote: »
    From a technical perspective, the radar in use by GoSafe is really close to the start of the 24GHz band and is strictly polarized (Vertical). This presents a challenge to even really good detectors as the sensitivity at either end is significantly lower than right in the middle i.e. Bandpass filtering. You then need to polarize with a good antenna and reduce noise. The antenna is the easier part but still challenging as most detectors are not polarised, and if they are it's horizontal, and it's very hard to vertically polarize a detector in an inconspicuous manner. Assuming you got that down though, the noise is much harder as the output power of GoSafe, versus say a handheld radar gun, is much lower and harder to 'hear'. That's before you consider really exotic stuff like instant-on radar etc.

In other words, you can't just take a 24GHz detector off the shelf and expect it to work. To reliably detect GoSafe, at a range that is good enough to slow down, you'll need to spend big money.

Well said.

I have had,a few rd's over the years, and you really need to be spending big to keep on top of things.
    You also need to know how to best set up any device you might have.

At the moment, without spending big big money , it's a waste of time.
    You might get for detection approaching the van from the rear, but get almost zero or less than zero range approaching from the other side. Add in blind spot detection, adaptive cruise control and lots of other interferences..

You're better off using local knowledge and your eyes.

This is coming from the guy who originally created that video.

Edit . Fyi. The audible warning was a via a sat Nav. And that was at 700m . The radar warning kicked in at about 500m.

Photo is taken at time of detection.
    You are almost on top of the van when that happens

Thanks

Fyi. The audible warning was a via a sat Nav. And that was at 700m . The radar warning kicked in at about 500m.

Thanks for the info, just out of curiosity I assume it was an aftermarket sat-nav and not a built in one? Also I presume it beeps at all know speed trap locations?

My issue with the go safe vans is that they are usually on stretches of good road with a 60/80 limit where your speed could have inadvertently crept up (and I know and admit that you should always be paying attention) so something that gives a gentle reminder to check speed would be helpful.

As an aside something I found hugely helpful in a work car I drove was a speed sign reader so I could tell at a glance what the limit was. It not always clear what the limit is on some stretches!! This is something I would invest in before a detector as I think it would be more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

Passed a speed van in a 100km/hr zone this morning. According to gps the max i could have been going is 105km/hr. Was only a few car lenghts away before I spotted it and braked. Am I likely to get a ticket and are they quick at sending them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The_Kitty wrote: »
    Passed a speed van in a 100km/hr zone this morning. According to gps the max i could have been going is 105km/hr. Was only a few car lenghts away before I spotted it and braked. Am I likely to get a ticket and are they quick at sending them out?

I'd say you'll be fine if you were at 105 and slowed down when you were still a few car lengths away (you have to be pretty much beside it before you are caught)

105 in a 100 would be unlikely (in my view) to get a ticket anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭limabromac

I received a fine this morning...driving 110 in a 100 zone...this zone is right on the border where the n7 meets the m7 driving southbound...Kill would be the area near Johnstown... The road goes from 100 to 120 and because of heavy traffic you have no option but to keep up with the flow so it is a natural cash cow for a speed van....I would argue that to get to 120 you would have to increase your speed and that's where I was caught speeding ....
    Is there anything that can be said to the office that issues the fines ...or will I just have to suck it up and pay...

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Savage_Henry

limabromac wrote: »
    because of heavy traffic you have no option but to keep up with the flow
    Wait, what?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭josip

I received a fine this morning...driving 110 in a 100 zone...this zone is right on the border where the n7 meets the m7 driving southbound...Kill would be the area near Johnstown... The road goes from 100 to 120 and because of heavy traffic you have no option but to keep up with the flow so it is a natural cash cow for a speed van....I would argue that to get to 120 you would have to increase your speed and that's where I was caught speeding ....
    Is there anything that can be said to the office that issues the fines ...or will I just have to suck it up and pay...

suck it and pay

Wait, what?

For example... if everyone is doing the same speed limit then to go slower would be likely cause an accident as you are driving slower then the rest of the traffic which would cause more under or overtaking...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

For example... if everyone is doing the same speed limit then to go slower would be likely cause an accident as you are driving slower then the rest of the traffic which would cause more under or overtaking...
    Christ almighty :rolleyes:
    If you are unable to drive safely on a three lane dual carriageway, then please hand your keys back because you should not be allowed drive.

Plus everyone else was not speeding!

Thanks everyone for their kind comments and answers to my question.... I am a competent safe driver who has asked an honest question that pertains to that stretch of road..
    It's only because the zones are so close together that it seems to catch alot of drivers out, making that zone the most profitable with regards to fines and penalty points...
    By the law I was speeding so I will pay the fine ..many thanks

Christ almighty :rolleyes:
    If you are unable to drive safely on a three lane dual carriageway, then please hand your keys back because you should not be allowed drive.

Plus everyone else was not speeding!

My apologies, I didn't realise you were there on that specific night in question...I was driving with the flow of traffic but with many cars overtaking me before and after that zone while I stayed in the centre lane and doing 110 which I will pay the fine for...more than likely I wasn't the only fine issued on the night...

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Savage_Henry

If you stayed in the center line, then obviously there were cars driving slower than you. Why you couldnt drive in the same flow as them and/or overtake when needed?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's only because the zones are so close together that it seems to catch alot of drivers out, making that zone the most profitable with regards to fines and penalty points...
    erm, pardon?
    You were caught speeding on the N7. What do you mean that the zones are so close?
    I've managed to drive that stretch loads of times without getting caught for speeding. Am I doing it wrong?
    You said that you were caught between Kill and Johnstown which is a minute or two away from where the speed limit changes up. This particular speed limit previously changes to 100 way back up the road near the M50 (I think it is at the Green Isle flyover). So you find travelling several kilometres between one speed limit change and another confusing? Poor you. Now get off the road!
    By the law I was speeding so I will pay the fine ..many thanks
    "By the law"? WTF?
    You were speeding and seem to want everyone to say that you weren't. OK - I think you weren't speeding. Now take your case to court. If sceptical me can be convinced by your defence so easily then you'll have no problem convincing a judge. :rolleyes:
    My apologies, I didn't realise you were there on that specific night in question...I was driving with the flow of traffic but with many cars overtaking me before and after that zone while I stayed in the centre lane and doing 110 which I will pay the fine for...more than likely I wasn't the only fine issued on the night...
    1. maybe I was there because maybe I was the Garda that caught you!
    2. You are a middle lane hogger so. If everyone was doing the same speed, why were you in an overtaking lane? :rolleyes:
    3. If you were caught doing 110 then more than likely your speedo said that you were doing higher than this (up to about 120km/h. Did you not know you were speeding?

I couldn't care less if you or anyone else are speeding but when caught to look for people to agree with a flimsy excuse like yours is, frankly, insulting!

• Advertisement

erm, pardon?
    You were caught speeding on the N7. What do you mean that the zones are so close?
    I've managed to drive that stretch loads of times without getting caught for speeding. Am I doing it wrong?
    You said that you were caught between Kill and Johnstown which is a minute or two away from where the speed limit changes up. This particular speed limit previously changes to 100 way back up the road near the M50 (I think it is at the Green Isle flyover). So you find travelling several kilometres between one speed limit change and another confusing? Poor you. Now get off the road!

"By the law"? WTF?
    You were speeding and seem to want everyone to say that you weren't. OK - I think you weren't speeding. Now take your case to court. If sceptical me can be convinced by your defence so easily then you'll have no problem convincing a judge. :rolleyes:

1. maybe I was there because maybe I was the Garda that caught you!
    2. You are a middle lane hogger so. If everyone was doing the same speed, why were you in an overtaking lane? :rolleyes:
    3. If you were caught doing 110 then more than likely your speedo said that you were doing higher than this (up to about 120km/h. Did you not know you were speeding?

I couldn't care less if you or anyone else are speeding but when caught to look for people to agree with a flimsy excuse like yours is, frankly, insulting!

Thankyou for your comments... I merely asked a question and am not looking for anyone to agree with me at all, the question was again about the stretch just before the limit changes to 120 which is where i was doing a speed of 110...it's not a flimsy excuse at all... A middle lane hogger I am not, I was trying to keep up with the flow of trucks and traffic on that night and a lot of cars overtook and undertook me...I am not looking to make excuses I was merely asking a question...... that particular stretch has the highest amount of road speeding fines so it seems like I cannot be the only one that would be increasing their speed from 100 to the 120 limit in that area...

Advertisement