Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Where exactly is it?

EDIT: Is it the Dual Carriage way road to the toll from Kilmeadan?

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Over the last 2 months since the lockdown in march, I have noticed speed camera vans at locations that have not been used before.

I thought they had to be used in locations where there had been a history of accidents and not in random locations?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Over the last 2 months since the lockdown in march, I have noticed speed camera vans at locations that have not been used before.

I thought they had to be used in locations where there had been a history of accidents and not in random locations?

I recently saw one local to me a few weeks ago & there's never been an accident there by some miracle while I've been here.
    What made matters worse he was facing the wrong way to catch very much.
    He didn't stay very long so business must have been very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Would I've been clocked by speed van in this scenario? (Happened today, dumb mistake I know)

https://i.imgur.com/y1SMrHN.jpg

This was in 100 kph zone (I think, this is between exit 4 and 1 going towards M50 on N7)

Felt like everyone is going very slow and nobody was behind me in next 2 lanes (2 and 3) so I accelerated to 110-120 (depends on speedometer accuracy but I know mine is -5 kph from checking previously by GPS measurement).

There was lots of cars in lane 1 and 2 but in between them I saw speed van, I was definitely at least 10-15 kph over limit.

Do speed vans take shots from behind too? So if they spot car in between cars/traffic - would they just lock onto it and take number plate from behind?

P.S - If I get fine that's fine, it's deserved not arguing there, dumb mistake and I got caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

arleitiss wrote: »
    Would I've been clocked by speed van in this scenario? (Happened today, dumb mistake I know)

This was in 100 kph zone (I think, this is between exit 4 and 1 going towards M50 on N7)

Felt like everyone is going very slow and nobody was behind me in next 2 lanes (2 and 3) so I accelerated to 110-120 (depends on speedometer accuracy but I know mine is -5 kph from checking previously by GPS measurement).

There was lots of cars in lane 1 and 2 but in between them I saw speed van, I was definitely at least 10-15 kph over limit.

Do speed vans take shots from behind too? So if they spot car in between cars/traffic - would they just lock onto it and take number plate from behind?

P.S - If I get fine that's fine, it's deserved not arguing there, dumb mistake and I got caught.

You would be highly likely to get a ticket as you would most likely have been in its range at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

You would be highly likely to get a ticket as you would most likely have been in its range at that point.

I could definitely see the van's windows and plates well.
    Alright, it is what it is I guess, lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

arleitiss wrote: »

Depending on how accurate your drawing is and the exact alignment of cars when you were in range, you could actually have got away with it. If there was any car between you and the van, or if you were very close to the car in front, you are likely in the clear.

Without video, it's impossible to say but I'd personally lean towards you may be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

Is it still the case that a garda pointing the speed gun has to pull you over to issue the fine?

Might have been slightly over 120 today on the motorway but could do without a fine at the moment.. Usually am very compliant with the speed limits but guess that's what they all say ��

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Is it still the case that a garda pointing the speed gun has to pull you over to issue the fine?

Might have been slightly over 120 today on the motorway but could do without a fine at the moment.. Usually am very compliant with the speed limits but guess that's what they all say ��

If you were really only slightly over you'll probably be OK I'd imagine.

The new guns they have can take pictures so they don't need to stop you anymore - but, based on their Twitter it seems they still do. Not a guarantee however.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Going by your speedo you probably weren't even over. I have a 131 Honda Civic with a digital speedo and I set my cruise control to 125km/h because according to both Waze and Sygic on my phone, I never go above 119.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

I was wondering the same as others said above
    Was driving away from intel in lexlip the other day heading towards the motorway
    Just over the lip of the hill down the bottom with a hairdryer in the car
    It's a 60 zone on a dual road,don't know how it's not 80
    I only noticed the signs the size of a small plate,you would want magnifying glasses to see them
    Didn't pull me in
    I'd say I was early 70s
    There is no definitive answer on weather they have to pull you in if you were caught over the limit

firstlight wrote: »
    There is no definitive answer on weather they have to pull you in if you were caught over the limit

A Garda with a 'hairdryer' will pull you in, always. They have to so they can issue a ticket. There is currently no mechanism (That I'm aware of) for a Garda to snap your photo and issue you a ticket at a later date in the same manner as GoSafe.

The Twitter link above should not be mistaken with a GoSafe camera. Very different beasts, very different chain of evidence. That snap, as per the Twitter link, could not be used to issue a ticket in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

Thanks for explaining it simply,i just was not sure as you get such conflicting feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

ironclaw wrote: »
    A Garda with a 'hairdryer' will pull you in, always. They have to so they can issue a ticket. There is currently no mechanism (That I'm aware of) for a Garda to snap your photo and issue you a ticket at a later date in the same manner as GoSafe.

The Twitter link above should not be mistaken with a GoSafe camera. Very different beasts, very different chain of evidence. That snap, as per the Twitter link, could not be used to issue a ticket in the post.

I thought that was the whole idea of those new speed guns that can take your picture

tcawley29 wrote: »
    I thought that was the whole idea of those new speed guns that can take your picture

Yes, but at the moment , they new guns are not being used for 'non intercepts'

They will still stop and speak to the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Those new guns can't get a clear shot of the driver. Leaves leeway for the owner to claim they weren't driving.

flazio wrote: »
    Those new guns can't get a clear shot of the driver. Leaves leeway for the owner to claim they weren't driving.

What's different to the GoSafe van?
    They don't get a clear pic of the driver either. (Especially when they get a pic of the rear)

The onus is on the registered owner to nominate the driver.

This is not a defence for any photo-based detection in Ireland. The onus is on the registered owner to know who the driver is. It can cause big issues for companies with fleets as the company directors can be held liable for the points/fine.

mikeecho wrote: »
    Yes, but at the moment , they new guns are not being used for 'non intercepts'

They will still stop and speak to the driver.

That's interesting. So in effect then, until that changes it's as before - the Gosafe vans will issue penalties if you are snapped virtually alongside it, but AGS patrols will still have to stop you if they want to issue fines/points.

Good to know. Explains why they're still showing pictures on Twitter of cars pulled in with a shot of the speed on the new guns.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That's interesting. So in effect then, until that changes it's as before - the Gosafe vans will issue penalties if you are snapped virtually alongside it, but AGS patrols will still have to stop you if they want to issue fines/points.

Good to know. Explains why they're still showing pictures on Twitter of cars pulled in with a shot of the speed on the new guns.

I'd bet my house it will never change. The new guns can take a decent photo but it's nowhere near the level required to a get a license plate. It also can't be used at night or in inclement weather. In other words, looks great on social media for Joe Soap but it's fundamentally the same tech with a shinier screen.

It would also be a huge waste of Garda resources if they used these guns for such provisions. There is better mobile tech out there that they could just set up for an hour and stick the feet up on the dash while they wait. e.g.

teaser-mutltaradar-cd.jpg

multaradarcd-2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

Thank for all the responses.

As relieved as I am to be escaping a fine, I'm fairly shocked that they don't issue speeding fines on the motorway unless you are flooring it by the sounds of it?

I have never seen a gatso on the motorway, is there a reason for this?

ironclaw wrote: »
    I'd bet my house it will never change. The new guns can take a decent photo but it's nowhere near the level required to a get a license plate. It also can't be used at night or in inclement weather. In other words, looks great on social media for Joe Soap but it's fundamentally the same tech with a shinier screen.

It would also be a huge waste of Garda resources if they used these guns for such provisions. There is better mobile tech out there that they could just set up for an hour and stick the feet up on the dash while they wait. e.g.

teaser-mutltaradar-cd.jpg

multaradarcd-2.jpg

The trucam ii can be set up on a tripod, and will work away on its own. It does have a slot for an SD card.

It also has the ability to "talk" to the patrol car via WiFi, over a few M , (maybe 250m)

But given that the Garda budget for 2020 is already spent, I can't see any new tech being introduced.

It will get a pic of a reg plate, but at very short range, .. but the agd system, is very short range as well.

Well on the N11 last week car passed me doing 100km/h in 60km/h work zone, the Gaurd got him front and rear as I could see him.

He didn't go after him and I'd say most definitely that guy will be getting a fine....

As relieved as I am to be escaping a fine, I'm fairly shocked that they don't issue speeding fines on the motorway unless you are flooring it by the sounds of it?

They do and a lot more lately then ever before.

You said slightly over the 120. If this is true then it's the right decision imo.

You'd have to define "flooring it" 130 or even 140 on a clear motorway in good conditions isn't exactly warp speed or particularly dangerous in a decent well maintained car - although pushing towards the latter speeds may be asking for trouble.

I've been in front of and behind squad cars at somewhat over the limit and there's never been a problem. Your experience may vary of course :)

However, for all the stick AGS get - including from myself at times - it's great to see that there's still a degree of flexibility, common sense and fairness in their general approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

I've seen cars passing at 130-140, and may have even crept up to that speed accidentally myself, and the guards don't go after them to be fair.

Only time I've seen them pursue is when it's somebody in the 160+ range, and you would be surprised how many there are!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭zg3409

Regularly on m50 northbound on a specially provided ramp around carrickmines. Reports southbound at barrier free toll. They did not do m50 much as it was not a special gosafe zone, but that has changed with all new zones, most of the m50 is covered. They installed new grass like parking bays some on bends, some on bends hidden by road signs. I seen them on dual carriageway during covit. Gosafe are paid by time spent checking, not number of cars caught. The locations are agreed with Gardai and they seem to use pre approved exact parking spots often specially built. Garda vans and Gardai can go anywhere they like. I expect the m50 is too dangerous to stop drivers in rush hour, but I have seen a few cars pulled over by mobile Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AiMSc

Hello,
    Was just wondering is it normal for a speed van to flash at night for every car to record all vehicles or just offending ones?
    I drove past one tonight in a 50 km/h /31mph zone. According to the speedometer I was doing slightly under the 30 mph and according to my GPS dashcam the speed was 27 mph which meant the speedometer was slightly off. Obviously 30 mph is 51 km/h and 27mph is 43.452 km/h or rounded to 44 km/h. I do not break the speed limits as my licence is important to me and I don't disagree with function of speed vans but when I passed the van I saw nothing but when relayed the footage there was some sort of flash which I'm having trouble determining of it was a reflection or the IR system on the van, it was a quick flash. Bare in mind this flash occurred whilst my front fender was just in align with the back of the van as I passed. There was also a motorist coming behind who appeared to be speeding but was a certain distance behind and closing the gap.
    I have the evidence that I wasn't speeding on my camera which is fairly accurate but like most things the speedometer is out so the camera could be slightly out also.
    I just can't understand whether it was just a reflection or was I flashed for speeding when I wasn't? Or am I just panicking over nothing?
    Any insight appreciated!
    Jack

Edit: It occurred at 11.15 pm leaving a small town. The speedometer in my car isnt great at high speed for example 100 km/h is represented as 93/94 km/h on the GPS.
    Also: Sorry if this is the wrong thread, new here!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

All passing vehicles are flashed at. Relax. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amdaley28

AiMSc wrote: »
    Hello,
    Was just wondering is it normal for a speed van to flash at night for every car to record all vehicles or just offending ones?
    I drove past one tonight in a 50 km/h /31mph zone. According to the speedometer I was doing slightly under the 30 mph and according to my GPS dashcam the speed was 27 mph which meant the speedometer was slightly off. Obviously 30 mph is 51 km/h and 27mph is 43.452 km/h or rounded to 44 km/h. I do not break the speed limits as my licence is important to me and I don't disagree with function of speed vans but when I passed the van I saw nothing but when relayed the footage there was some sort of flash which I'm having trouble determining of it was a reflection or the IR system on the van, it was a quick flash. Bare in mind this flash occurred whilst my front fender was just in align with the back of the van as I passed. There was also a motorist coming behind who appeared to be speeding but was a certain distance behind and closing the gap.
    I have the evidence that I wasn't speeding on my camera which is fairly accurate but like most things the speedometer is out so the camera could be slightly out also.
    I just can't understand whether it was just a reflection or was I flashed for speeding when I wasn't? Or am I just panicking over nothing?
    Any insight appreciated!
    Jack

Edit: It occurred at 11.15 pm leaving a small town. The speedometer in my car isnt great at high speed for example 100 km/h is represented as 93/94 km/h on the GPS.
    Also: Sorry if this is the wrong thread, new here!

Your safe enough I'd say ðŸ˜

Advertisement