Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭kirving

Christ almighty :rolleyes:
    If you are unable to drive safely on a three lane dual carriageway, then please hand your keys back because you should not be allowed drive.

Plus everyone else was not speeding!

I think we should fit a GPS box to every car on the road, and if you do 101km/h, 1 meter before the 120km/h zone starts, you should be banned for life. Obviously a complete lunatic who is wreckless danger to anyone in their path.

We need to take a one dimensional view on road safety, focusing on speed only, even though merging safely and maintaining a safe distance sometimes means that you might go over the posted limit once in a while.

Oh, and we should tax the crap out of needless luxuries like road sign recognition, Active Cruise Control and AEB. Small deviations on wide straight roads are the real killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Savage_Henry

limabromac wrote: »
    A middle lane hogger I am not....
    a lot of cars ... undertook me

dcf269699ec57d0b315229ebdb2c9713.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

For example... if everyone is doing the same speed limit then to go slower would be likely cause an accident as you are driving slower then the rest of the traffic which would cause more under or overtaking...

I wonder would the judge and gaurds be together enough to have the sequential data for all the cars/lorries in the lineup at the time your ticket was ‘issued’ and be able to filter out the speed victims from the leaders or pushers!

I do know what you mean - I’ve missed turnings because the drivers on the inside lane would not allow to allow me filter in (when there would have been plenty of time) and there are absolute road pigs who drive up your exhaust passage and will not allow you to slow one jot without you being able to change lane and drop back - which as your rightly said - if you are in the fast/overtaking lane or middle lane might not be possible. In fact - you also can’t drip back on the inside/slow lane if there is a speeder up your ass - the hard shoulder often isn’t wide enough or the surface safe enough.

I’d want to have little to lose or be fairly certain before I tried it in court. Don’t they give more points if it goes to court and you are ruled against?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Savage_Henry

I think we should fit a GPS box to every car on the road, and if you do 101km/h, 1 meter before the 120km/h zone starts, you should be banned for life. Obviously a complete lunatic who is wreckless danger to anyone in their path.

We need to take a one dimensional view on road safety, focusing on speed only, even though merging safely and maintaining a safe distance sometimes means that you might go over the posted limit once in a while.

Oh, and we should tax the crap out of needless luxuries like road sign recognition, Active Cruise Control and AEB. Small deviations on wide straight roads are the real killer.

I dont think the post you quoted implied that at all. I thought what he meant was that if the original poster felt unsafe to drive at 100kph but needed to stay with the flow of 110 kph to feel safe then there was no place for him on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I dont think the post you quoted implied that at all. I thought what he meant was that if the original poster felt unsafe to drive at 100kph but needed to stay with the flow of 110 kph to feel safe then there was no place for him on the road.

If you’re in a sequence of cars driving fast on a long fast stretch of road it can be almost impossible to suddenly drop out - particularly if the trigger is a speed camera - I’d say they cause more pileups and near misses with people doing erratic things to avoid them and braking and changing lane suddenly - or trying to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thankyou for your comments... I merely asked a question and am not looking for anyone to agree with me at all, the question was again about the stretch just before the limit changes to 120 which is where i was doing a speed of 110...it's not a flimsy excuse at all... A middle lane hogger I am not, I was trying to keep up with the flow of trucks and traffic on that night and a lot of cars overtook and undertook me...I am not looking to make excuses I was merely asking a question...... that particular stretch has the highest amount of road speeding fines so it seems like I cannot be the only one that would be increasing their speed from 100 to the 120 limit in that area...
    OK I'll stop after this one (you're making it too easy)...
    You knew "that particular stretch has the highest amount of road speeding fines" yet you were still happy to travel along at 10-20% over the speed limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭limabromac

OK I'll stop after this one (you're making it too easy)...
    You knew "that particular stretch has the highest amount of road speeding fines" yet you were still happy to travel along at 10-20% over the speed limit?

Maybe my first mistake was to ask for an honest answer to an honest question....if I have made it to easy for you to point your finger and laugh at me then it's my fault for asking a question in the first place...the rules of boards is that you play the ball not the man so the answers should only be based on the question not my abilities ...
    I didn't know anything about this stretch of road until I did some research today after I received the fine ...by researching I found that out that it is the number one area for fines in the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭kirving

While normally, slowing down is the safer option, there are times where it is necessary to break the limit to achieve a safer outcome.

This often happens around speed limit changes, or on slip roads for example. Doing 29km/h as posted on the N4 - M50 slip road during rush hour in an underpowered car is a recipe for disaster.

Or say you move to the right lane to let a cars on from a busy slip road, but they match your speed, and the car behind them now comes behind you. What do you do, brake in front of accelerating cars? Or do 130km/h for a few moments to get back in front safely?

It takes an ounce of imagination to think of some examples, but it's even easier to berate someone for a minor error and tell them to get off the road as they must be a danger.

If all it took to be a safe driver in all conditions was to follow the rules as some people think, then autonomous cars would be commonplace by now. The reality is shades of grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

erm, pardon?
    You were caught speeding on the N7. What do you mean that the zones are so close?
    I've managed to drive that stretch loads of times without getting caught for speeding. Am I doing it wrong?
    You said that you were caught between Kill and Johnstown which is a minute or two away from where the speed limit changes up. This particular speed limit previously changes to 100 way back up the road near the M50 (I think it is at the Green Isle flyover). So you find travelling several kilometres between one speed limit change and another confusing? Poor you. Now get off the road!

"By the law"? WTF?
    You were speeding and seem to want everyone to say that you weren't. OK - I think you weren't speeding. Now take your case to court. If sceptical me can be convinced by your defence so easily then you'll have no problem convincing a judge. :rolleyes:

1. maybe I was there because maybe I was the Garda that caught you!
    2. You are a middle lane hogger so. If everyone was doing the same speed, why were you in an overtaking lane? :rolleyes:
    3. If you were caught doing 110 then more than likely your speedo said that you were doing higher than this (up to about 120km/h. Did you not know you were speeding?

I couldn't care less if you or anyone else are speeding but when caught to look for people to agree with a flimsy excuse like yours is, frankly, insulting!

What's insulting is this aggressive high-horsery from you. Not for the first time I might add!

The guy has admitted his error, plans to pay the fine but feels a bit hard done by given the circumstances. I dare say he's not alone among those reading these posts.

You seem to have a real issue with speeding and "middle lane hoggers" - that's fine but I for one am sick of reading your smart-arsed nonsense on the topic.

Maybe don't frequent a thread about speeding/speed cameras if it bothers you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

Are you sure it was a speed van heading south between kill exit and where it picks up to 120 just after the ball that caught you?
    I have seen the hair dryers at the exit but never a van
    Im travelling that road twice daily for 14 years
    I drive that road everyday at 100
    The amount of people daydreaming in the middle lane is unreal
    As soon as you come up the inside they get a brain fart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Pipe dream, I know, but if it became common practice to call the lanes
    |Hard Shoulder| Driving Lane | Overtaking Lane 1 | Overtaking Lane 2 |
    Some people maybe, just maybe get what they are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

flazio wrote: »
    Pipe dream, I know, but if it became common practice to call the lanes
    |Hard Shoulder| Driving Lane | Overtaking Lane 1 | Overtaking Lane 2 |
    Some people maybe, just maybe get what they are for.

Correct use of lanes is already in the Highway Code, there was even a video with TV ads and I remember some RSA hand out on this, but just like roundabouts the advice hasn't caught on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭limabromac

firstlight wrote: »
    Are you sure it was a speed van heading south between kill exit and where it picks up to 120 just after the ball that caught you?
    I have seen the hair dryers at the exit but never a van
    Im travelling that road twice daily for 14 years
    I drive that road everyday at 100
    The amount of people daydreaming in the middle lane is unreal
    As soon as you come up the inside they get a brain fart

I remember the night so well as I was coming from the hospital and already had driven that road 4 times that day..that night it was so foggy and there was a lot of trucks on the road as it was late..
    it could have been either a van or a garda but I saw neither. It could have been a fact that I was overtaking and I increased my speed or that I was approaching the 120 sign that I increased my speed..it also could have been a fact that it was a very hard day for our family and I just wanted to get home safely that a lapse of judgement caused the increased speed...First time since I've received the license 12 years ago to have a fine and points so I will take it and pay it...
    That road is a hard one to drive because of all the overtaking and road rage drivers who don't leave adequate space between cars and that day alone I had seen a couple of crashes and driver's without lights but that's for another thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

Have the speed vans moved or are they still using the same map that can about about 9 months ago

I can't find a link for the maps

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Maps are gone. They can set up wherever they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

National slow down day today.... Flash for cash be out to get ya.

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

This isn't true.

However, the number of zones is much higher so they are effectively almost everywhere.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/speed-cameras-to-be-extended-to-900-additional-areas-from-next-week-1.4168979

ironclaw wrote: »
    This isn't true.

However, the number of zones is much higher so they are effectively almost everywhere.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/speed-cameras-to-be-extended-to-900-additional-areas-from-next-week-1.4168979
    Is it the same map that came out earlier this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭ofcork

National slow down day today.... Flash for cash be out to get ya.

Got done by one last saturday 111 in a 100 3 points and 80 euro disaster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Well was doing 80 in a 60 tonight saw the van about 100 metres out was only car on the road at night . Van was parked on footpath behind sign I was in the fast lane slowed down and approached the van 70/50 metres at around 50kmh . Whats the chances of that coming at me understandably shouldn't have been speeding but I'm rattled now, didn't see any sort of flash or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Probably grand if you slowed down as soon as you saw it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Rx713B wrote: »
    Well was doing 80 in a 60 tonight saw the van about 100 metres out was only car on the road at night . Van was parked on footpath behind sign I was in the fast lane slowed down and approached the van 70/50 metres at around 50kmh . Whats the chances of that coming at me understandably shouldn't have been speeding but I'm rattled now, didn't see any sort of flash or anything

Not trying to be funny, but your measurements don't add up. 80km/h is 22m/s. In 5 seconds, assuming no change, you'd had passed the van. You were likely much further away when you braked and hence ok when you passed.

Lastly, you won't see a flash from any Irish van. It's barely visible to the naked eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Rx713B wrote: »

:D:D

If you saw the van 100m out you should have easily scrubbed the extra 20kph off by the time your speed was measured. If the figures you gave are true, you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

Just saw a small speed van parked off the road with its fronting point towards the road and its back facing a wall. Was this monitoring road speeds for research or just parked up maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

ofcork wrote: »
    Got done by one last saturday 111 in a 100 3 points and 80 euro disaster!

For me €80 fair punishment but something should be done to stop a person going a little over to get points as if it was dangerous driving on open road.
    This happens in loads of countries...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blackis200

In Australia, they allow you to apply to receive a warning after you've been caught.
    They put the warning on your record and let you off the fine and points.
    One warning every 5 years is about the norm they allow.
    Much fairer. People learn with a warning more than cold hard fines and points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

For me €80 fair punishment but something should be done to stop a person going a little over to get points as if it was dangerous driving on open road.
    This happens in loads of countries...

3 points is a warning and it had no effect on my insurance. They are gone in 3 years. Its basically a slap on the wrist. 6 points within 3 years increases insurance, you had better start slowing down, 12 points within 3 years gets you a ban. The whole points system is designed as a fair warning system, versus the old system of court or no court which meant most never got prosecuted, and speeding was far worse back then.

Now the system is far from perfect, I passed 3 different vans on the one day, but its far less strict than many countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have the Tom Tom 'Go Navigation' app and pay an annual €19.99 subscription. This gives you satnav navigation with maps of any part of the world.

What has that got to do with speed cameras? There is a partner app called Amigo which uses the 'Go' maps and which will screech at you when you exceed the speed limit in a camera enforcement zone. I now put the phone in the windscreen mount every time I drive and have no excuse if I'm caught. A voice tells you when you're entering a zone, calls out the speed limit and a progress bar shows you how far into the zone you are and how far to the end of the zone. It also tells you when you exit the zone. The zones and speed limits are updated in real time so you're always up to date.

https://www.tomtom.com/en_ie/drive/go-navigation/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

blackis200 wrote: »
    In Australia, they allow you to apply to receive a warning after you've been caught.
    They put the warning on your record and let you off the fine and points.
    One warning every 5 years is about the norm they allow.
    Much fairer. People learn with a warning more than cold hard fines and points.

I'm not sure what state you are referring to but in NSW its 10 years with a clean record, I got a ticket from a fixed camera 92kph in an 80 and my friend who is a HWP cop said I can appeal if I have 10 years clean record. I had 9 years and 10 months from my last infringement so I pleaded for clemency and they didn't accept it and said it has to be 10 years. LOL

Cops are different matter, they have discretion and like my friend said he takes driving record and the seriousness of the offence into account and in my case would have probably give me a caution.

Advertisement